Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson

The groin injuries are hard to heal completely during the season. Malik is a very good player, but I think the groin is impacting his play. Hopefully, he rebounds to his capabilities.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2017, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: No where near to his contract and he is a liability against the run.  I feel at the end of the season Day will be ready to take that staring 3 tech spot and our D wont miss a beat and we save 10 mil. in cap space

If it came down to keeping Jackson or resigning A Rob what would you guys rather do?

Cutting Jackson after this year will only leave 6 million in dead money due to an out-clause in his contract. 

So they'd save 7.5 million against the 2018 cap and then more in subsequent years.  

Personally though, I think I'd keep him around. They've finally gotten this line to a good place and Jackson is playing through a groin injury.  If they want to cut him after 2018 they'll only owe 4 mil in dead cap in 2019, 2 mil in 2020. 
I'd keep him in 2018 and then decide. 

A-Rob can still get done. 
No need to break up one of the best lines in the league over a guy only playing "really good" instead of "great" becuase he's hurt.

(11-01-2017, 05:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Not sure why everyone is looking at his sack number and saying he is playing fine. The interior DL is CRUCIAL in run defense... You know the same run defense that is allowing the most run yards in the NFL...

I don't think anyone said he is fine solely because of  the sack number. It is about his overall performance as a pass rusher - sacks, hurries, knockdowns, etc.

If you go back to the "What's broken about our run defense?" thread, you will notice people were saying Jones is more responsible than Jackson for the decline because of his size or position. Will Jackson play better with Dareus? I don't know, but it could happen. I am still hopeful our run defense will improve to some extent.

(11-01-2017, 05:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: No where near to his contract and he is a liability against the run.  I feel at the end of the season Day will be ready to take that staring 3 tech spot and our D wont miss a beat and we save 10 mil. in cap space

If it came down to keeping Jackson or resigning A Rob what would you guys rather do?

Cutting Jackson after this year will only leave 6 million in dead money due to an out-clause in his contract. 

So they'd save 7.5 million against the 2018 cap and then more in subsequent years.  

Personally though, I think I'd keep him around. They've finally gotten this line to a good place and Jackson is playing through a groin injury.  If they want to cut him after 2018 they'll only owe 4 mil in dead cap in 2019, 2 mil in 2020. 

No need to break up one of the best lines in the league over a guy only playing "really good" instead of "great" becuase he's hurt.
His cap hit next year in 15.5 mil.  It would be 6 mil. in dead money if you cut him so you would save 9.5 mil. just for next year.  Not to mention the 15 mil plus cap hits the following years.  I dont think he is anywhere close to that and Day usually shines when given a chance.  I dont think we would miss a beat if we cut him to save the cap space.  Day usually shines when given the opportunity and I think he couple fill Jacksons spot.  If we cut Jackson I dont think it will be "breaking up" our dline especially when Dareus starts to get his feet wet.  I don't feel Jackson is playing "really good" either being his liability against the run.

(11-01-2017, 06:05 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Not sure why everyone is looking at his sack number and saying he is playing fine. The interior DL is CRUCIAL in run defense... You know the same run defense that is allowing the most run yards in the NFL...

I don't think anyone said he is fine solely because of  the sack number. It is about his overall performance as a pass rusher - sacks, hurries, knockdowns, etc.

If you go back to the "What's broken about our run defense?" thread, you will notice people were saying Jones is more responsible than Jackson for the decline because of his size or position. Will Jackson play better with Dareus? I don't know, but it could happen. I am still hopeful our run defense will improve to some extent.

Putting most the blame on Abry is totally wrong. I am saying that Malik is not playing well because he is a straight up liability on run defense which is his primary responsibility at DT on early downs. He just isn't getting the job done. As a pass rusher he is decent, but Dareus may end up taking his spot on 3rd downs. Dareus has proven in his past that he is a much better pass rusher than him. 3rd down eventually may end up looking like Fowler Calais Dareus Ngakoue, which is actually an idea Boselli and Prisco brought up on their talk show.

I think you’re going to see 2016 Jackson in the 2nd half of the season. BYE weeks gave him time to rest and with Dareus, he can time some snaps off.

This DLine is only going to get better at the game goes on now. Everyone will be fresher and the Texans may regret trading Brown. This defense is hungry to show they can carry a team to the playoffs. Ramsey said it and I think you’ll see them abuse these lower tiered teams.

2nd half of the season should be fun.

(11-01-2017, 06:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think you’re going to see 2016 Jackson in the 2nd half of the season. BYE weeks gave him time to rest and with Dareus, he can time some snaps off.

This DLine is only going to get better at the game goes on now. Everyone will be fresher and the Texans may regret trading Brown. This defense is hungry to show they can carry a team to the playoffs. Ramsey said it and I think you’ll see them abuse these lower tiered teams.

2nd half of the season should be fun.

The one game Brown played they scored a season high in points.  I dont think that was a coincidence

(11-01-2017, 06:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Putting most the blame on Abry is totally wrong. I am saying that Malik is not playing well because he is a straight up liability on run defense which is his primary responsibility at DT on early downs. He just isn't getting the job done. As a pass rusher he is decent, but Dareus may end up taking his spot on 3rd downs. Dareus has proven in his past that he is a much better pass rusher than him. 3rd down eventually may end up looking like Fowler Calais Dareus Ngakoue, which is actually an idea Boselli and Prisco brought up on their talk show.

I did not say "most" of the run defense problems are created by #95. Did you really think I was not blaming Malik at all for that?

NYC made a good point about Malik playing with an injury. Is he more of a liability against the run now than he was before leaving the Titans game?

(11-01-2017, 06:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:05 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I don't think anyone said he is fine solely because of  the sack number. It is about his overall performance as a pass rusher - sacks, hurries, knockdowns, etc.

Putting most the blame on Abry is totally wrong. I am saying that Malik is not playing well because he is a straight up liability on run defense which is his primary responsibility at DT on early downs. He just isn't getting the job done. As a pass rusher he is decent, but Dareus may end up taking his spot on 3rd downs. Dareus has proven in his past that he is a much better pass rusher than him. 3rd down eventually may end up looking like Fowler Calais Dareus Ngakoue, which is actually an idea Boselli and Prisco brought up on their talk show.

The run defense was fine against Houston and for the first half of the tacks game. After Malik was injured and missed the rest of that game the Jags gave up boatloads of yards. Since then he's been nursing a groin injury and his run defense has fallen off, but he's still better than Day. He should be 100% again next season and IMO it would be a mistake to cut him.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-01-2017, 06:30 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: The run defense was fine against Houston and for the first half of the tacks game. After Malik was injured and missed the rest of that game the Jags gave up boatloads of yards. Since then he's been nursing a groin injury and his run defense has fallen off, but he's still better than Day. He should be 100% again next season and IMO it would be a mistake to cut him.

Malik Jackson should be completely healthy before this season is over.

(11-01-2017, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cutting Jackson after this year will only leave 6 million in dead money due to an out-clause in his contract. 

His cap hit next year in 15.5 mil.  It would be 6 mil. in dead money if you cut him so you would save 9.5 mil. just for next year.  Not to mention the 15 mil plus cap hits the following years.  I dont think he is anywhere close to that and Day usually shines when given a chance.  I dont think we would miss a beat if we cut him to save the cap space.  Day usually shines when given the opportunity and I think he couple fill Jacksons spot.  If we cut Jackson I dont think it will be "breaking up" our dline especially when Dareus starts to get his feet wet.  I don't feel Jackson is playing "really good" either being his liability against the run.

I read it was 13.5. Not 15.5. 

Anyway  -- I just don't see him as some major liability against the run. 

I see Abry Jones, bad gap fits by LBs, Poz not on the field/teams running out of 3 wide sets -  as the larger contributors to the run defense issues. 

Let's see what having a true NT can do for this run defense before we go penciling in the cut of an elite 3 tech that's playing hurt.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 06:36 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-01-2017, 06:30 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Putting most the blame on Abry is totally wrong. I am saying that Malik is not playing well because he is a straight up liability on run defense which is his primary responsibility at DT on early downs. He just isn't getting the job done. As a pass rusher he is decent, but Dareus may end up taking his spot on 3rd downs. Dareus has proven in his past that he is a much better pass rusher than him. 3rd down eventually may end up looking like Fowler Calais Dareus Ngakoue, which is actually an idea Boselli and Prisco brought up on their talk show.

The run defense was fine against Houston and for the first half of the tacks game. After Malik was injured and missed the rest of that game the Jags gave up boatloads of yards. Since then he's been nursing a groin injury and his run defense has fallen off, but he's still better than Day. He should be 100% again next season and IMO it would be a mistake to cut him.

Is he 15 mil. better than Day?  I think Day will only get better and he shines when given the opportunity.  I would take that 9.5 mil. and Bortles 19 mil and go after Cousins if Cousins still looks the part and it still looks like Bortles is not the guy at season end

Of course still a lot of football to be played so I will wait and see how the rest of the season plays out.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 07:34 PM by ATLjag.)

(11-01-2017, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: His cap hit next year in 15.5 mil.  It would be 6 mil. in dead money if you cut him so you would save 9.5 mil. just for next year.  Not to mention the 15 mil plus cap hits the following years.  I dont think he is anywhere close to that and Day usually shines when given a chance.  I dont think we would miss a beat if we cut him to save the cap space.  Day usually shines when given the opportunity and I think he couple fill Jacksons spot.  If we cut Jackson I dont think it will be "breaking up" our dline especially when Dareus starts to get his feet wet.  I don't feel Jackson is playing "really good" either being his liability against the run.

I read it was 13.5. Not 15.5. 

I see Abry Jones, bad gap fits by LBs, Poz not on the field/teams running out of 3 wide sets -  as the larger contributors to the run defense issues. 

Let's see what having a true NT can do for this run defense before we go penciling in the cut of an elite 3 tech that's playing hurt.

Next season, Malik has a base salary of $13.5m, along with a $2m amortization (expense) of his previous signing bonus, for a cap hit of $15.5m.  If the Jags release him after this season, they would save the $13.5m base salary, have a dead money hit of $6m (which is the unamortized remaining signing bonus balance on the books), and save $9.5m in 2018 cap.  

Just an FYI.

(11-01-2017, 07:32 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I read it was 13.5. Not 15.5. 

Next season, Malik has a base salary of $13.5m, along with a $2m amortization (expense) of his previous signing bonus, for a cap hit of $15.5m.  If the Jags release him after this season, they would save the $13.5m base salary, have a dead money hit of $6m (which is the unamortized remaining signing bonus balance on the books), and save $9.5m in 2018 cap.  

Just an FYI.

Thanks. I didn't see the 2 mil carry-over from the signing bonus. I was clear on the rest. 

I still don't see any point moving on from him after this season unless there's major cap trouble trying to get the QB and WR situation sorted.

Keep Arob over Jackson. It's a no brainer

(11-01-2017, 08:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Keep Arob over Jackson. It's a no brainer

But it isn't even a choice.  Why not both?

(11-01-2017, 08:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Keep Arob over Jackson. It's a no brainer

Previous poster brought up the question. If it came down to that then it's Arob. But we can most likely keep both.

Random thought - Ramsey is gonna break the bank

(11-01-2017, 08:08 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: But it isn't even a choice.  Why not both?

Previous poster brought up the question. If it came down to that then it's Arob. But we can most likely keep both.

Random thought - Ramsey is gonna break the bank

NYC is right. We can't make the choice between Jackson and Robinson. You are completely ignoring the fact that we can choose between two other players with expensive contracts. Cutting Blake Bortles will save us $19 million immediately if we decide to go with a ready-made rookie next season. Now where do you see a problem with $15.5 million over 2 years?

Jalenj Ramsey will likely get the fifth year option, which is not too expensive for a CB, so by the time he gets a monster deal Jackon's guarantees will be paid off.

(11-01-2017, 08:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts

(11-01-2017, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts.

Scroll up. We arren't talking about choosing between Malik Jackson and a big name UFA.