Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson

(11-01-2017, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: But it isn't even a choice.  Why not both?

What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts

It's all just a giant jumble of "what-ifs" right now. 

We have no idea how they'll address QB because we have to see what Bortles does over the next 9 games.
We have no idea how they'll address WR because we have to see Lee, Westbrook, Hurns and Cole play 9 more. 
We have no idea how they'll value their DTs and NTs because we don't know the whole story on Jackson's health or how the club feels about the other 3 techs on the roster dividing his snaps. Dareus is still a giant question mark too. No clue how he'll work out here and whether he keeps his nose clean. 

If they spend big on a FA QB (another big if) then there will be some veteran $$ sacrifices and a player or two not re-signed. I doubt Jackson is as high on their list to move on from as he is on yours.  Just my opinion. 

BTW - If Day is so great and ready to take over  -- why the hell are they letting an injured Jackson play 336 snaps to Day's 166 snaps thus far? Doesn't jive.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2017, 09:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If Day is so great and ready to take over  -- why the hell are they letting an injured Jackson play 336 snaps to Day's 166 snaps thus far? Doesn't jive.

You hit the nail on the head. Sheldon Day was specifically drafted to be a rotational players, that's why.

(11-01-2017, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: But it isn't even a choice.  Why not both?

What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts

Not gonna happen.  The Redskins would be stupid to not work a deal with Cousins.  They virtually have no one else right now.  The price tag for him would be too high and you end up losing more players, not just Jackson because of the cap.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 09:20 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-01-2017, 09:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts

It's all just a giant jumble of "what-ifs" right now. 

We have no idea how they'll address QB because we have to see what Bortles does over the next 9 games.
We have no idea how they'll address WR because we have to see Lee, Westbrook, Hurns and Cole play 9 more. 
We have no idea how they'll value their DTs and NTs because we don't know the whole story on Jackson's health or how the club feels about the other 3 techs on the roster dividing his snaps. Dareus is still a giant question mark too. No clue how he'll work out here and whether he keeps his nose clean. 

If they spend big on a FA QB (another big if) then there will be some veteran $$ sacrifices and a player or two not re-signed. I doubt Jackson is as high on their list to move on from as he is on yours.  Just my opinion. 

BTW - If Day is so great and ready to take over  -- why the hell are they letting an injured Jackson play 336 snaps to Day's 166 snaps thus far? Doesn't jive.
It is a "if" but with Jimmy going to SF I think its a very realistic one.  Of course if Bortles looks like our future at QB, we will win the division and make some noise in the playoffs and most of our dreams at QB come true.  On Day, I said next year I feel he can take over the 3 tech and the D wont miss a beat.  Definitely not a 15 mil. dollar difference or even a 10.  Hell even Pff has Day a better player this year than Jackson, not saying I agree with it yet but its not far off.  Especially if Dareus comes in looking like his old self or close to it I would rather use that money else where.  We shall see what happens

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...ckson/7647

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...-day/10737

(11-01-2017, 09:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What if we go after a guy like Cousins?  You wont be able to give everyone big contracts

Not gonna happen.  The Redskins would be stupid to not work a deal with Cousins.  They virtually have no one else right now.  The price tag for him would be too high and you end up losing more players, not just Jackson because of the cap.

Yeah, Jackson and Bortles

(11-01-2017, 09:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Not gonna happen. The Redskins would be stupid to not work a deal with Cousins. They virtually have no one else right now. The price tag for him would be too high and you end up losing more players, not just Jackson because of the cap.

Kirk Cousins said repeatedly he wants to be a Redskins for a long time. All of the rumors about him wanting to cash in elsewhere were based on flawed logic.

(11-01-2017, 09:22 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Not gonna happen. The Redskins would be stupid to not work a deal with Cousins. They virtually have no one else right now. The price tag for him would be too high and you end up losing more players, not just Jackson because of the cap.

Kirk Cousins said repeatedly he wants to be a Redskins for a long time. All of the rumors about him wanting to cash in elsewhere were based on flawed logic.

That's pretty much my point.  Many people speculate that he might go to another team solely because he becomes an UFA after this season.  I would bet that the Redskins sign him to a new contract before the end of the season to keep other teams from offering him more money.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:22 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Kirk Cousins said repeatedly he wants to be a Redskins for a long time. All of the rumors about him wanting to cash in elsewhere were based on flawed logic.

That's pretty much my point.  Many people speculate that he might go to another team solely because he becomes an UFA after this season.  I would bet that the Redskins sign him to a new contract before the end of the season to keep other teams from offering him more money.

It was 100% because of Kyle Shanahan. Talking heads connected the dots.

(11-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:22 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Kirk Cousins said repeatedly he wants to be a Redskins for a long time. All of the rumors about him wanting to cash in elsewhere were based on flawed logic.

The speculation was based on the Redskins not working out a long term contract before this season. Cousins may want to be a Redskin for a long time, but are the Redskins willing to pay him market value?

Personally I think trading for Alex Smith is the better choice. As great as he's been in KC, they gave up a lot to draft Mahomes, and will probably move on.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-01-2017, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: That's pretty much my point.  Many people speculate that he might go to another team solely because he becomes an UFA after this season.  I would bet that the Redskins sign him to a new contract before the end of the season to keep other teams from offering him more money.

The speculation was based on the Redskins not working out a long term contract before this season. Cousins may want to be a Redskin for a long time, but are the Redskins willing to pay him market value?

Personally I think trading for Alex Smith is the better choice. As great as he's been in KC, they gave up a lot to draft Mahomes, and will probably move on.

The Redskins are notorious for paying Kirk Cousins far above market value. They overestimated the market value for quarterbacks when they tagged him twice.

(11-01-2017, 10:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: The speculation was based on the Redskins not working out a long term contract before this season. Cousins may want to be a Redskin for a long time, but are the Redskins willing to pay him market value?

The Redskins are notorious for paying Kirk Cousins far above market value. They overestimated the market value for quarterbacks when they tagged him twice.

The franchise tag is a predetermined guaranteed salary, so how are they notorious for overpaying? They offered him the 2nd highest per year avg contract and most guaranteed $ for a QB. In fact, Kirk doesn't believe in long term contracts. He said this (and this is not a joke) "I prayed about it, and I do believe that the Lord, at least in my life, likes to use one-year contracts and not long-term contracts. He likes to take me to the edge of the Red Sea and have me see there is water in front of me, there are mountains on either side, and there are Egyptians chasing me from behind. And He wants me to sit there for a moment and go, 'God, You better show up.' And then He parts the Red Sea and He's done that time and again in my life, on the football field and off the football field."

(11-01-2017, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: That's pretty much my point.  Many people speculate that he might go to another team solely because he becomes an UFA after this season.  I would bet that the Redskins sign him to a new contract before the end of the season to keep other teams from offering him more money.

The thing is, would KC be willing to trade Alex Smith?  I find it highly unlikely given his performance this season and their record right now.  If they did do it, what is the price tag going to be?  Give up a 1st and a 2nd or something else like that?

Of the QB's that will be UFA this next off-season, I don't see a clear upgrade over Bortles (eliminating Brees or Cousins, as I expect they will be signed to contracts with their current teams).

To get back to the point of this topic, cutting Malik Jackson isn't going to pay for a free agent QB.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 10:50 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(11-01-2017, 10:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 10:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: The Redskins are notorious for paying Kirk Cousins far above market value. They overestimated the market value for quarterbacks when they tagged him twice.

The franchise tag is a predetermined guaranteed salary, so how are they notorious for overpaying? They offered him the 2nd highest per year avg contract and most guaranteed $ for a QB. In fact, Kirk doesn't believe in long term contracts.

Plain and simple, the Redskins screwed up by tagging him twice. NFL rules state if a player is tagged two consecutive years his salary increases to 120 percent of whatever it was the previous season. He also was given the exclusive franchise tag, which is higher than the non-exclusive franchise tag. If the Redskins had signed him to a long-term deal he would not be close to earning $35 million in one season - $10 million more than Derek Carr's annual salary on his new contract.

(11-01-2017, 10:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: To get back to the point of this topic, cutting Malik Jackson isn't going to pay for a free agent QB.

You get it. I think other posters are just grasping at straws.

(11-01-2017, 10:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: The speculation was based on the Redskins not working out a long term contract before this season. Cousins may want to be a Redskin for a long time, but are the Redskins willing to pay him market value?

The thing is, would KC be willing to trade Alex Smith?  I find it highly unlikely given his performance this season and their record right now.  If they did do it, what is the price tag going to be?  Give up a 1st and a 2nd or something else like that?

Of the QB's that will be UFA this next off-season, I don't see a clear upgrade over Bortles (eliminating Brees or Cousins, as I expect they will be signed to contracts with their current teams).

To get back to the point of this topic, cutting Malik Jackson isn't going to pay for a free agent QB.

Brees is the guy, Saints cant afford him and need to reboot. Cut BB5 and Ivory, that frees up the 25 million per we need to give Breesus his 2 years. Malik getting cut is standard Jungle stupidity.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Ain't nothing wrong with Jackson. He's been doing his job so the boys on the outside can do theirs

(11-01-2017, 04:28 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Did we pay too much, looking back?

Hence therein lies the problem with our mentality dating back to Gene Smith

Gene would have rather had a $3m player that is playing to the caliber of a $4m player RATHER than paying someone $10m and having him play at $8m level.

Most GMs attempt to field the best players within the cap whereas Gene simply looked to get value players ..... that ultimately proved to be much less talented as well.

Malik was a key signing as he's 1 of the primary reasons this team has changed their  prior losing mentality.

(11-01-2017, 10:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The franchise tag is a predetermined guaranteed salary, so how are they notorious for overpaying? They offered him the 2nd highest per year avg contract and most guaranteed $ for a QB. In fact, Kirk doesn't believe in long term contracts. He said this (and this is not a joke) "I prayed about it, and I do believe that the Lord, at least in my life, likes to use one-year contracts and not long-term contracts. He likes to take me to the edge of the Red Sea and have me see there is water in front of me, there are mountains on either side, and there are Egyptians chasing me from behind. And He wants me to sit there for a moment and go, 'God, You better show up.' And then He parts the Red Sea and He's done that time and again in my life, on the football field and off the football field."

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5227355]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(11-02-2017, 10:57 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 10:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The franchise tag is a predetermined guaranteed salary, so how are they notorious for overpaying? They offered him the 2nd highest per year avg contract and most guaranteed $ for a QB. In fact, Kirk doesn't believe in long term contracts. He said this (and this is not a joke) "I prayed about it, and I do believe that the Lord, at least in my life, likes to use one-year contracts and not long-term contracts. He likes to take me to the edge of the Red Sea and have me see there is water in front of me, there are mountains on either side, and there are Egyptians chasing me from behind. And He wants me to sit there for a moment and go, 'God, You better show up.' And then He parts the Red Sea and He's done that time and again in my life, on the football field and off the football field."

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5227355]

Is that Bilal Powell and the Jags Defense?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Ah, yes. That old parable of Moses and the franchise tag.

Classic.