Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2018 Draft

I know that the point in winning is that we don't have to talk about the 2018 draft in November...

But I want to anyway. 

I might change my mind on Bortles by this time next week... but as of today we have other needs and we can win with him under center. 

I really want to see us grab a #1 WR and Poz's replacement in the top 2 rounds. Poz is still playing strong but we have to be thinking about the future and we need the depth regardless. We might lose ARob and Marquise to Free agency, and we need a playmaker at WR.

I would like to see two interior O-lineman in the 3rd and 4th rounds (Center and a Guard to go along with Linder). I think we can improve both of these positions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think early on they'll be targeting QB, O-Line (guard and an eventual RT upgrade), TE, and maybe WR depending on contracts for Lee/A-Rob and Westbrook's performance this year.

Also -- I have to move this to the college forum.

Best Available Player

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Best Available Player

We might have actually hit this point with the roster....

Are we perfect? No not at all... 
but we're pretty good on every level so we could just look into grabbing the best player available and let competition take care of the rest.

Even still... we should "target" a QB in rounds 2-4 to add insurance to the future of that position.

Outside of that... TE, LB, WR, DB, OL... best available

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 03:24 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Hayden Hurst - TE
Orlando Brown - OT

... i don't like the QB draft class

Yeah, nothing has changed. QB, RT, G/C, TE, DT, CB3.

Yes, Blake is doing great! The major thing I look at though, is Henne isn't getting younger, and we pay him a pretty penny to do nothing, plus in a pinch I would not want to see Henne anywhere near a football. We need a #2 we can develop to take over for Blake, or have a solid option 2 if our starting QB goes down.

I think RT is another spot we may target. As we get better, more and more players are going to get cut on the numbers game, trying to resign our superstars. I could see Parnell being a cap casualty when trying to keep guys like Jack, Ramsey, etc. I am also not too thrilled with Cann, he's played better, but we could still use a OG/C to accommodate our run game.

TE is a no brainier, I think Marcedes may be retiring soon, guy is up there in age and our #2 and #3 options are not great either. I am still kind of ticked we didn't grab a TE in last years draft.

Run stuffing DT goes without saying. We have a ton of $ on the D line and we will not be able to keep them all for very long.

I think Nickle corner will be a big need too, I know Myrick stepped in and did well for us yesterday, but its too small a sample size for now. I think Colvin may be another numbers guy who wants too much, and we won't want to match it. That and he wants to play outside and he won't do that here barring injury.

That's my breakdown, now no more draft talk! Playoff talk guys!!!!!!!

Don't need to draft high on receiver. Still got Arob. Dede is in the works. And wr isn't a need considering we are a run first team and already have weapons. We need to keep building the oline. Top priority besides figuring out the qb situation. Even if bortles keeps playing well. Still should take a qb early. Give Blake competition. If he remains underwhelming we have a new future, if he gets hurt we are safe. If both do well we can make profit via trade

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think early on they'll be targeting QB, O-Line (guard and an eventual RT upgrade), TE, and maybe WR depending on contracts for Lee/A-Rob and Westbrook's performance this year.  

Also  -- I have to move this to the college forum.

Why did it go to the college forum? I don't want to talk about players... just positions.

This must be what Jalen Ramsey feels like.

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Best Available Player

This makes sense if you have a top 10 pick... but we might have a bottom 10 pick... its much easier to maneuver around and get a player at the right position.

Poz's replacement? Our LB's are Smith/Jack...we don't need to take a LB higher than the 5th and even then we have Brown.

1st - QB/OL/TE - take one of Rosen/Jackson/Mayfield/Rudolph if they fall
2nd - QB/OL/TE - Finley/Ferguson as QB possibilities
3rd - OL/TE
4th - 7th - BAP

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM by Upper.)

Yep, we still need to be diligent finding a replacement for Bortles. An average game managing QB (I am still not comfortable saying that based on this small sample) is ok as long as he is cheap. Bortles is not going to be cheap any longer though. We can't make the mistake of giving him a cap restricting raise that the Dalton's/Schaub's/Garrard's/etc got that move the QB from being the trailer of the team to having to be the truck. If it's just the 19 mil 5th year option...fine I think we are going to have to accept that is coming and we can survive it with roll over. Long term though, nope can't do it.

We still need to stay on the quest for finding the true franchise QB that will move us from upstart young bucks to sustainable winning franchise.

(11-06-2017, 03:47 PM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think early on they'll be targeting QB, O-Line (guard and an eventual RT upgrade), TE, and maybe WR depending on contracts for Lee/A-Rob and Westbrook's performance this year.  

Also  -- I have to move this to the college forum.

Why did it go to the college forum? I don't want to talk about players... just positions.

Sorry.  It's just the way it's always been done here. Draft talk goes in the college forum. I didn't make the rules - just agreed to help keep us all within them.  

I'm sure your thread will still generate some good discussion over here.

(11-06-2017, 04:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 03:47 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: Why did it go to the college forum? I don't want to talk about players... just positions.

Sorry.  It's just the way it's always been done here. Draft talk goes in the college forum. I didn't make the rules - just agreed to help keep us all within them.  

I'm sure your thread will still generate some good discussion over here.

No prob

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 07:28 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

1st round- QB
2nd round- TE or OG
3rd round- OG or TE
4th round- OLB
5th round- RB
6th round- Traded for Marcell Dareus
7th round- WR
7th round- QB

Now that it's mid-season, we can legitimately talk about the draft while still enjoying our quest to win the AFC South and get a home playoff game. My draft would look like this:

Round 1- Draft our quarterback of the future. They may have to trade up, but I agree with The O-Line Matters that this is the time to do it-
if necessary. Personally, my 3 favorites are Mayfield, Rosen and Rudolph- in that order. Not yet sold on Jackson, but that could change,
They likely will have to part with both their 2018 and 2019 1st rounders, but that's o.k. since the 2019 pick will be very low.

Round 2- Tight end. Would love Gesicki to fall here, but it looks like a pretty deep group.

Round 3- Offensive line or nickel back to replace Colvin.

Round 4-7- BAP

Naturally, free agency will significantly impact the draft priorities. The one free agent signing I'd be interested in would be Justin Pugh. He can play guard or right tackle and they could release Parnell who is 3 or 4 years older than Pugh. Coughlin should be instrumental in bringing Pugh to Jacksonville. Cutting Parnell frees up $5 million. In addition to cutting Parnell, they could save $7 million by cutting Hurns. Other casualties would include Poz (eventually he'll be our linebackers coach), Ivory and Lewis. Hopefully these cuts will enable the team to keep Lee, who seems to be coming into his own. Re-signing Robinson is a no-brainer as long as he recovers totally from the injury. The guy is a legitimate number 1 receiver when healthy, although the Jags may be able to 1st sign him to a 1 year "prove-it" deal. If the Jags let Bortles go after this season, they will also need to sign an inexpensive veteran q.b. to start until the new guy is ready.

It's early but I think we already have some pretty set needs for next year. 

QB: Obvious one. Think everyone agrees we need fresh blood at the position. I love the top few QBs this year and think we need to pick up one of them. Others feel we should stick with Blake for now. I'm sure it will be heavily debated over the offseason. 

RB: LF7 is balling but Ivory isn't worth the money and Yeldon is meh. I'd like to see us get a receiving back who can still run the rock if needed. Preferably a speedy guy.  

TE: Lewis is playing well but a true receiving tight end could be huge for this offense. Someone who can take it across the middle and flex out wide. 

OL: Oline has been very good but it's playing better than the some of its parts imo. Cann and Omameh can be upgraded. Parnell too. Fairly keyed in on Nelson atm. A left side of Cam+Nelson would take lives in the run game. 

CB: I'm a fan of drafting a Cornerback every year. Someone to push Colvin and at worst provide good depth. 

S: depth.

First round I like the idea of a TE, second round looking OG or QB. Third round QB or OG.

This is of course without knowing free agent moves and what is available at whatever draft spot we get.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(11-07-2017, 09:15 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: First round I like the idea of a TE, second round looking OG or QB. Third round QB or OG.

This is of course without knowing free agent moves and what is available at whatever draft spot we get.

A TE in the 1st?  No thanks

Man... If we could get the next Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley or even Jarrad Davis in the 1st round I feel like that would be a huge impact. All great defenses have a HOF MLB sitting behind a monster DT (Dareus).

(11-07-2017, 11:08 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: Man... If we could get the next Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley or even Jarrad Davis in the 1st round I feel like that would be a huge impact. All great defenses have a HOF MLB sitting behind a monster DT (Dareus).

We run Nickle package a vast majority of the time...I don't understand why you are pushing for MLB when we have 2 possible studs in Smith/Jack already at our LB positions.

MLB would be pretty far down the list and behind Nickle CB if we let Colvin walk at the end of the year.  Blair Brown was also drafted to be another athletic MLB...

This team needs all of these over a MLB:

TE: Lewis is getting old and hasn't been much of a factor in the receiving game...Jags could use a dual threat TE
RT: Parnell has done good but once again is aging
QB: Bortles might have turned the corner but we still need a good backup/starter if one falls to us in the 1st round
CB: If Colvin walks at years in we need a Nickleback to fill in.
OG: I like the idea of Shatley at C and Linder at RG but that still leaves one OG spot open if Omameh walks....

If a QB doesn't fall I still love the idea of OG/OT...dream being Quenton Nelson

Robinson-Nelson-Shatley-Linder-Parnell looks pretty dominant and young minus Parnell