Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2018 Draft

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 11:49 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-07-2017, 06:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 05:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (Franchise QB)
2. Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP (Just earned midseason All-American honors)
3. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (The best small school TE in the country)
4. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (Perfect backup for Fournette)
5. Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota (Big, ballhawking coverage corner)
6. Traded to Buffalo
7. [Via Cincinnati] Davon Grayson, WR, ECU (Tall receiver with a penchant for making big plays)
7. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis (Can play inside or outside, tackle, rush the QB and drop into coverage)

Really like the Avery pick...He should go higher based on what I've watched of him.

1: Quenton Nelson - OG - Notre Dame (Franchise LG to pair between Robinson/Linder to make dominant left side)
2: Riley Ferguson - QB - Memphis (Has the tools and could probably step in day 1 but can be groomed a year behind Bortles)
3: Troy Fumagalli - TE - Wisconsin (Big TE that has made some amazing catches)
4: Marquis Haynes - DE - Ole Miss (He is a Yannick clone...slightly undersized but has career sack record at 32)
5: Bo Scarbrough - RB - Alabama (Replace Ivory with another big physical thumper RB)
7: DeMarkus Lodge - WR - Ole Miss (6'2" Deep threat for probably the best WR Corp in college...would love Brown or Metcalf next year)
7: Genard Avery - LB - Memphis (Sideline to Sideline LB)

You could be right. He could go as high as round 4.

(11-07-2017, 10:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 10:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Andrews is one of the best TE's I've seen in quite some time. I see him as the next Travis Kelce. I currently have him going #24 to Buffalo.

He isn't the prospect Howard was last year

I disagree.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Howard was probably the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis

(11-07-2017, 11:12 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 10:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He isn't the prospect Howard was last year

Much better receiver than Howard was. Just not as freaky athletic or good at blocking.

I'll agree to that. For me, it's all about pass catching when it comes to being a TE. If a TE can't catch, they're pretty useless. Maybe someone else might value run blocking more, but to me, Andrews has the potential to make much more of an impact in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 12:00 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-07-2017, 11:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 11:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: Much better receiver than Howard was. Just not as freaky athletic or good at blocking.

I'll agree to that. For me, it's all about pass catching when it comes to being a TE. If a TE can't catch, they're pretty useless. Maybe someone else might value run blocking more, but to me, Andrews has the potential to make much more of an impact in the NFL.

Well I guess you don't like the type of offense we run.

If we take a TE early give me Goedert

(11-07-2017, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 11:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'll agree to that. For me, it's all about pass catching when it comes to being a TE. If a TE can't catch, they're pretty useless. Maybe someone else might value run blocking more, but to me, Andrews has the potential to make much more of an impact in the NFL.

Well I guess you don't like the type of offense we run.

No. I don't. I prefer a more diverse offense with some long passes thrown in, but since we don't have a QB capable of running that type of offense, we have to run a simplified, run heavy scheme.

(11-08-2017, 01:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well I guess you don't like the type of offense we run.

No. I don't. I prefer a more diverse offense with some long passes thrown in, but since we don't have a QB capable of running that type of offense, we have to run a simplified, run heavy scheme.

Regardless of who our QB is they still want to run to run a run heavy offense and blocking is more important than receiving for our TE.

(11-08-2017, 07:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. I don't. I prefer a more diverse offense with some long passes thrown in, but since we don't have a QB capable of running that type of offense, we have to run a simplified, run heavy scheme.

Regardless of who our QB is they still want to run to run a run heavy offense and blocking is more important than receiving for our TE.

In my opinion, blocking is what the O-Line is for. I realize we wanna run the ball a lot, but you still have to be able to get the ball down the field through the air or else you run the risk of becoming a one-dimensional offense. If teams are expecting us to just run the ball, they will stack the box and challenge us to beat them with the pass, which is currently our weakness. I just want a balanced offense where we have the threat of beating them downfield with long passes. It doesn't mean we have to back off from running the ball, it just means we have to get some big play receivers and a QB who can get the ball to them, so other teams know we are capable of winning on the ground or through the air. Selecting one of the top passers in this draft and adding a TE who can get deep and run precise routes like Andrews, Gesicki or Goedert would go a long way toward reaching these offensive goals.

(11-08-2017, 01:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 07:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Regardless of who our QB is they still want to run to run a run heavy offense and blocking is more important than receiving for our TE.

In my opinion, blocking is what the O-Line is for. I realize we wanna run the ball a lot, but you still have to be able to get the ball down the field through the air or else you run the risk of becoming a one-dimensional offense. If teams are expecting us to just run the ball, they will stack the box and challenge us to beat them with the pass, which is currently our weakness. I just want a balanced offense where we have the threat of beating them downfield with long passes. It doesn't mean we have to back off from running the ball, it just means we have to get some big play receivers and a QB who can get the ball to them, so other teams know we are capable of winning on the ground or through the air. Selecting one of the top passers in this draft and adding a TE who can get deep and run precise routes like Andrews, Gesicki or Goedert would go a long way toward reaching these offensive goals.

That's what wide receivers are for.  I would rather have a balanced TE than a TE that you can spread out but can't block.

It's a moot point as Andrews is actually a good blocker , just not near as good as Howard. You can play him inline just fine as well as spread him out wide if necessary. Very Kelce like.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 04:00 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-08-2017, 03:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In my opinion, blocking is what the O-Line is for. I realize we wanna run the ball a lot, but you still have to be able to get the ball down the field through the air or else you run the risk of becoming a one-dimensional offense. If teams are expecting us to just run the ball, they will stack the box and challenge us to beat them with the pass, which is currently our weakness. I just want a balanced offense where we have the threat of beating them downfield with long passes. It doesn't mean we have to back off from running the ball, it just means we have to get some big play receivers and a QB who can get the ball to them, so other teams know we are capable of winning on the ground or through the air. Selecting one of the top passers in this draft and adding a TE who can get deep and run precise routes like Andrews, Gesicki or Goedert would go a long way toward reaching these offensive goals.

That's what wide receivers are for.  I would rather have a balanced TE than a TE that you can spread out but can't block.

That's where we disagree. We already have a FB to block, but we are currently lacking on big play receivers. It's only gonna get worse when free agency hits. I want a TE that is a threat to make big plays, not a blocking TE that occasionally catches a pass now and then. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

(11-08-2017, 03:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's a moot point as Andrews is actually a good blocker , just not near as good as Howard. You can play him inline just fine as well as spread him out wide if necessary. Very Kelce like.

It won't matter, because I'd be shocked if Andrews made it out of the first round. The kid is extremely talented and like you say, he is a Kelce clone. Somebody is gonna get one heck of a TE.

I'd go with the following ....

LEO
OTTO
OW (offensive weapon)

At least it seems like people agree that Andrews would be a good pick in the 20s if the top QBs and Nelson are gone. That was the only point I was making not trying to make it a comp to Howard.

(11-07-2017, 05:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (Franchise QB)
3. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (The best small school TE in the country)
6. Traded to Buffalo
7. [Via Cincinnati] Davon Grayson, WR, ECU (Tall receiver with a penchant for making big plays)
7. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis (Can play inside or outside, tackle, rush the QB and drop into coverage)

Mayfield will be the Jaguars' quarterback in 2018. After nearly a decade of bad picks and bad luck, things are finally going "our" way. Stealing Ramsay and Jack two years ago was amazing. The only thing missing is the quarterback and Coughlin/Caldwell are smart enough to realize that they must find a way to get him. They may not even have to trade up since six foot quarterbacks are generally not in high demand in the NFL. He will be to the offense what Ramsay is to the defense- extremely confident, trash talking and fun to watch. He is the true leader that the offense has lacked for too long. Five years from now, NFL experts will ask how a guy like this fell so far in the draft- just like they asked about Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Tom Brady. 

I'm also in agreement with the positions you selected in rounds 2 and 3. I do think the Jags will have to take the tight end in the 2nd round since Goedert and Gesicki will not make it to the 3rd and either one of these guys would add another dimension to the offense.

(11-10-2017, 03:28 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
6. Traded to Buffalo

Mayfield will be the Jaguars' quarterback in 2018. After nearly a decade of bad picks and bad luck, things are finally going "our" way. Stealing Ramsay and Jack two years ago was amazing. The only thing missing is the quarterback and Coughlin/Caldwell are smart enough to realize that they must find a way to get him. They may not even have to trade up since six foot quarterbacks are generally not in high demand in the NFL. He will be to the offense what Ramsay is to the defense- extremely confident, trash talking and fun to watch. He is the true leader that the offense has lacked for too long. Five years from now, NFL experts will ask how a guy like this fell so far in the draft- just like they asked about Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Tom Brady. 

I'm also in agreement with the positions you selected in rounds 2 and 3. I do think the Jags will have to take the tight end in the 2nd round since Goedert and Gesicki will not make it to the 3rd and either one of these guys would add another dimension to the offense.

You might be right as far as the TE's. I have Gesicki going early in the second, but Goedert could be taken in that round as well. The problem is that the OG class drops immensely after round 2.

(11-10-2017, 05:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 03:28 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Mayfield will be the Jaguars' quarterback in 2018. After nearly a decade of bad picks and bad luck, things are finally going "our" way. Stealing Ramsay and Jack two years ago was amazing. The only thing missing is the quarterback and Coughlin/Caldwell are smart enough to realize that they must find a way to get him. They may not even have to trade up since six foot quarterbacks are generally not in high demand in the NFL. He will be to the offense what Ramsay is to the defense- extremely confident, trash talking and fun to watch. He is the true leader that the offense has lacked for too long. Five years from now, NFL experts will ask how a guy like this fell so far in the draft- just like they asked about Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Tom Brady. 

You might be right as far as the TE's. I have Gesicki going early in the second, but Goedert could be taken in that round as well. The problem is that the OG class drops immensely after round 2.
If we just keep Linder at RG and resign Omameh we are good at guard.  Cann was the weak link

(11-10-2017, 05:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 05:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You might be right as far as the TE's. I have Gesicki going early in the second, but Goedert could be taken in that round as well. The problem is that the OG class drops immensely after round 2.
If we just keep Linder at RG and resign Omameh we are good at guard.  Cann was the weak link

Not really. Then we have a hole at Center.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 06:21 PM by BlueEyedJag.)

Charlie Campbell's Mock on Walterfootball would be pretty nice...

1- Quenton Nelson
2- Mark Andrews
3- James Washington

Although I try like heck to trade up in the 3rd to grab Mayfield...who is picked at 82...while Washington at 89.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 06:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-10-2017, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 05:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we just keep Linder at RG and resign Omameh we are good at guard.  Cann was the weak link

Not really. Then we have a hole at Center.

We have had a hole at center the last few weeks?

(11-10-2017, 06:19 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Charlie Campbell's Mock on Walterfootball would be pretty nice...

1- Quenton Nelson
2- Mark Andrews
3- James Washington

Although I try like heck to trade up in the 3rd to grab Mayfield...who is picked at 82...while Washington at 89.
No way do I see Washington falling that far

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-10-2017, 06:19 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Charlie Campbell's Mock on Walterfootball would be pretty nice...

1- Quenton Nelson
2- Mark Andrews
3- James Washington

That would be a terrible mock. It means we'd be stuck with Bortles. Besides, it's ridiculous! All those guys are almost guaranteed first rounders.

(11-10-2017, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not really. Then we have a hole at Center.

We have had a hole at center the last few weeks?

1- Quenton Nelson
2- Mark Andrews
3- James Washington

And it still needs to be fixed.

(11-10-2017, 06:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

1- Quenton Nelson
2- Mark Andrews
3- James Washington

That would be a terrible mock. It means we'd be stuck with Bortles. Besides, it's ridiculous! All those guys are almost guaranteed first rounders.

(11-10-2017, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We have had a hole at center the last few weeks?

And it still needs to be fixed.
What does?