Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.

I know SD St. is a smaller college but this is my top TE in the draft.  A former basketball player at 6'4 260.  Dude played every position except TE in High School including kicker lol.  Had 13 TDs and 1300 yards last year.  He averages about 100 yards a game.  Basketball translation to TE has worked out great for players like Gonzalez, Gates, Graham etc.  He makes highlight catches and has the potential to be a great blocker.  The highest ceiling in this draft imo and the guy I hope to see in a Jags uni next year.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footba...ayer-stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQmLFUl5kjc

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah, I've had an eye on him. I really hope the Jags come out of the draft next year with one of Andrews, Gesicki, or Goedert.

Any word on how the guy looks run blocking?

Goedert.......exactly what Bortles needs. He fits perfect.

It wouldn't surprise me if we took Goedert with our first pick, if Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph are off the board. I have Andrews going before we pick, but Goedert would give us a great target for who ever is calling signals for this team next season.

(12-14-2017, 08:26 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Goedert.......exactly what Bortles needs. He fits perfect.

Yep, not sure what happened to my post but I stated he is the best TE in the draft. Crazy basketball player too, Gonzalez, Gates, and Graham etc.

He'd be a good pick @32.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-15-2017, 02:29 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: He'd be a good pick @32.

Sure would...

Unfortunately I think some team in the 20s drafts him.

My favourite TE in the class and personally the one i think is the best

He seems like he's running in slow motion. Strong hands and reliable catching the ball, and he's got good control over his body.

I've only seen his videos from Draft Breakdown, so I'm probably not as familiar as some others. He just looks so slow.

He looks bigger than everyone hes playing against, but he also seems small to me. I dont know how much of a blocker he would be. Looks like he was used as a WR in that system at sdsu
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I know a lot of these comparisons are of base sometimes but I like this one of Goedert

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/d...id=2559850

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 11:04 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-08-2017, 11:17 AM)Dumptruck Wrote: Any word on how the guy looks run blocking?

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jordan/status/96...tch-weapon

Going back and forth between Goedert and Hernandez for our first pick

Good article on Goedert
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...mpaign=nfl

(12-18-2017, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 02:29 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: He'd be a good pick @32.

Sure would...

Unfortunately I think some team in the 20s drafts him.

Good thing we pick in the 20s

(12-15-2017, 12:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 08:26 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Goedert.......exactly what Bortles needs. He fits perfect.

Yep, not sure what happened to my post but I stated he is the best TE in the draft. Crazy basketball player too, Gonzalez, Gates, and Graham etc.

The OP wasn't showing because you tried to post two videos and the software only allows for one per post.

I noticed the 2nd video wasn't even working, so I deleted that link, and now the post is showing.

'02

(01-26-2018, 09:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I know a lot of these comparisons are of base sometimes but I like this one of Goedert

They really do paint the picture of a dominant pass catcher. 

On his blocking they point out he has a good frame/size for the job, and that he's able to use good pad level, knee bend and hand placement
(positioning)... but they also point out a negative to consider saying his... "Effort level as blocker can be inconsistent. Needs to get better hip roll into initial contact."

They also point out... "Goedert dominated a lower level of competition and will have to prove he can uncover and block against bigger, more explosive athletes as a pro."

Interesting that they project him to go in rounds 2 and 3, as opposed to round one. Can we get him at the end of round two? 

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018, 05:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-10-2018, 03:29 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 12:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yep, not sure what happened to my post but I stated he is the best TE in the draft. Crazy basketball player too, Gonzalez, Gates, and Graham etc.

The OP wasn't showing because you tried to post two videos and the software only allows for one per post.

I noticed the 2nd video wasn't even working, so I deleted that link, and now the post is showing.

Thanks

(02-10-2018, 03:39 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 09:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I know a lot of these comparisons are of base sometimes but I like this one of Goedert

They really do paint the picture of a dominant pass catcher. 

On his blocking they point out he has a good frame/size for the job, and that he's able to use good pad level, knee bend and hand placement
(positioning)... but they also point out a negative to consider saying his... "Effort level as blocker can be inconsistent. Needs to get better hip roll into initial contact."

They also point out... "Goedert dominated a lower level of competition and will have to prove he can uncover and block against bigger, more explosive athletes as a pro."

Interesting that they project him to go in rounds 2 and 3, as opposed to round one. Can we get him at the end of round two? 
Hernandez and Goedert would be like a dream first 2 rounds for me

I think NC State's Jaylen Samuels represents a far better value and he is proven at a higher level of competition to be a clutch play-maker.

(02-12-2018, 09:41 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: I think NC State's Jaylen Samuels represents a far better value and he is proven at a higher level of competition to be a clutch play-maker.

Samuels is a hybrid player, yes.  But give me the 6'5" TE that can make highlight 1 handed catches and also a decent blocker.

(02-12-2018, 09:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 09:41 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: I think NC State's Jaylen Samuels represents a far better value and he is proven at a higher level of competition to be a clutch play-maker.

Samuels is a hybrid player, yes.  But give me the 6'5" TE that can make highlight 1 handed catches and also a decent blocker.

1. I watched a variety of tape on Dallas Goedert and could not find he has any consistency as an in-line blocker. Our identity is a offense that runs the football. So Goedert will have to compete with much swifter WRs for playing time. You don't invest a 4 over-all pick in Fournette just to move away from being a power running offense. 

2. The Jaguars' offense will regress considerably if Goedert is pushed into a starting role at the expense of Marcedes Lewis.

3. Goedert was pretty much given free range as a split-wide WR and/or slot WR. I don't believe pro defensive coordinators will allow the kind of physical mis-matches which brought out Dallas as a potential featured play-maker.

4.Typically, TEs are offensive tackles with hands. Goedert bulked up between 2016 and 2017 and his agility and elusiveness suffered.

5. He is being compared to Zach Ertz. Yet Goedert lists (pre-Scouting Combine) as 4.8 speed. This lack of speed issue set Ertz, who ran a 4.76 forty at the Combine to second round selection. In 2013, Tyler Eifert ran a 4.6 forty and was selected 21st over-all by Cincinnati.

In general practice, if you don't see something on film that you expect to see, assume the college coaching staff knows the player has a deficiency in this area and does not want it to show on film. So they simply do not ask the player to do what's generally expected of a player at his position. 

One-handed catches tell me the player lacks speed, lacks route-running talent and generally raises questions about how well the player will handle NFL play. He catches with one hand because he has to use the other to fight off a defensive player with better speed and superior agility. One-handed catches also indicate a lack of route-running proficiency. He has to stab at the ball because he can't make it to where he needs to be at any given second or lacks the physical prowess to shed a defender long enough to create separation.

Goedert may be a better fit in a offensive system that tends to utilize a West Coast style offense. Bill Walsh wanted his TEs to be in the area of 6' 4" and weigh about 249 Lbs. This likely relates to the dynamics of the West Coast offense allowing for a lot less in-line blocking in exchange for a larger player in the back-field for blitz protection and additional duty as a lead blocker.

None of Goedert's film that I have seen demonstrates he has a knack for either occasional lead-blocking responsibilities or max blitz protection. Again, if it is NOT there on the film to see, assume he has the deficiency and the coaching staff has prevented this from being exposed on game film.

He will get drafted. I expect him to go in the mid-second round or so. I will alter my opinion based upon how well he runs and lifts at the Combine or Pro Day.