Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.

(02-12-2018, 09:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 09:41 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: I think NC State's Jaylen Samuels represents a far better value and he is proven at a higher level of competition to be a clutch play-maker.

Samuels is a hybrid player, yes.  But give me the 6'5" TE that can make highlight 1 handed catches and also a decent blocker.

1. I watched a variety of tape on Dallas Goedert and could not find he has any consistency as an in-line blocker. Our identity is a offense that runs the football. So Goedert will have to compete with much swifter WRs for playing time. You don't invest a 4 over-all pick in Fournette just to move away from being a power running offense. 

2. The Jaguars' offense will regress considerably if Goedert is pushed into a starting role at the expense of Marcedes Lewis.

3. Goedert was pretty much given free range as a split-wide WR and/or slot WR. I don't believe pro defensive coordinators will allow the kind of physical mis-matches which brought out Dallas as a potential featured play-maker.

4.Typically, TEs are offensive tackles with hands. Goedert bulked up between 2016 and 2017 and his agility and elusiveness suffered.

5. He is being compared to Zach Ertz. Yet Goedert lists (pre-Scouting Combine) as 4.8 speed. This lack of speed issue set Ertz, who ran a 4.76 forty at the Combine to second round selection. In 2013, Tyler Eifert ran a 4.6 forty and was selected 21st over-all by Cincinnati.

In general practice, if you don't see something on film that you expect to see, assume the college coaching staff knows the player has a deficiency in this area and does not want it to show on film. So they simply do not ask the player to do what's generally expected of a player at his position. 

One-handed catches tell me the player lacks speed, lacks route-running talent and generally raises questions about how well the player will handle NFL play. He catches with one hand because he has to use the other to fight off a defensive player with better speed and superior agility. One-handed catches also indicate a lack of route-running proficiency. He has to stab at the ball because he can't make it to where he needs to be at any given second or lacks the physical prowess to shed a defender long enough to create separation.

Goedert may be a better fit in a offensive system that tends to utilize a West Coast style offense. Bill Walsh wanted his TEs to be in the area of 6' 4" and weigh about 249 Lbs. This likely relates to the dynamics of the West Coast offense allowing for a lot less in-line blocking in exchange for a larger player in the back-field for blitz protection and additional duty as a lead blocker.

None of Goedert's film that I have seen demonstrates he has a knack for either occasional lead-blocking responsibilities or max blitz protection. Again, if it is NOT there on the film to see, assume he has the deficiency and the coaching staff has prevented this from being exposed on game film.

He will get drafted. I expect him to go in the mid-second round or so. I will alter my opinion based upon how well he runs and lifts at the Combine or Pro Day.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. - by JUNGLE CAT 2017 - 02-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. - by Andy G - 03-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. - by Andy G - 03-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St. - by Andy G - 03-31-2018, 06:40 PM