Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Replacing the Long Snapper

It dont seem like a important position, but now our 2nd long snapper down. Hopefully there is one out there on the market we can pick up.  This could cost us a game down the stretch if we dont find a replacement

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Im sure we can find one im more worried about the depth and injuries racking up on the oline
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Joey Z...suck on that fountain of youth!

Shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure the scouting dept. has a list of guys - plenty of whom are unsigned currently.

Each year there are a few teams that have two of these guys in camp and only keep one.

The ones that didn't stick can be signed off the street.

(11-12-2017, 07:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It dont seem like a important position, but now our 2nd long snapper down. Hopefully there is one out there on the market we can pick up.  This could cost us a game down the stretch if we dont find a replacement

Every year, a handful of perfectly good veteran long snappers are cut because their team finds an undrafted rookie who can do the job 90% as well for 40% of the pay. Those vets become ready-to-go replacements for injured or ineffective snappers as the season wears on. We'll sign one by Tuesday if Overton's out for any length of time.

Is Joe Zelenka to old? Big Grin But really There should be a lot of them on the market. Has there been any news about his injury at this point? I prefer him to be fine as long snapper is something I don't like to worry about.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017, 01:28 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I just moved this dude up to the Jags #1 selection in my 2018 Mock Draft

[Image: 6_4000272.jpg]

What about the military guy who Seattle cut

NFLTradeRumors.co‏m

More
Jaguars Place LS Matt Overton On Injured Reserve, Sign LS Colin Holba

Mike Kaye‏Verified account

Holba was a sixth round pick by the Steelers this year

-----------------------------------------

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/coli...id=2558180

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM by knarnn.)

(11-14-2017, 01:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: NFLTradeRumors.co‏m

More
Jaguars Place LS Matt Overton On Injured Reserve, Sign LS Colin Holba

Mike Kaye‏Verified account

Holba was a sixth round pick by the Steelers this year

-----------------------------------------

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/coli...id=2558180

Interesting find. Here's a little scouting report on him (and long snapping in general) and comments from the Steelers GM after drafting him.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2017/4...cole-mazza

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.s...holba.html
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I long snapped in high school/college. Give me a week and I could have done it. I would have liked that pay day. I'd have gladly taken the minimum!

Colin Holba signed.....undrafted FA from Louisville.

how do you get drafted in the 6th round this year as a LS and not make the team? was he that bad?
[Image: harley-quinn-bubble-gum.gif]

(11-14-2017, 02:06 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Colin Holba signed.....undrafted FA from Louisville.

He was a 6th round pick by the Steelers.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

(11-14-2017, 02:08 PM)Dixon Wrote: how do you get drafted in the 6th round this year as a LS and not make the team?  was he that bad?

We drafted a FB in the 7th that didn't make the team...
it happens.

Off topic: Your name is awesome reminds me of my old Xbox handle

(11-14-2017, 02:08 PM)Dixon Wrote: how do you get drafted in the 6th round this year as a LS and not make the team?  was he that bad?

The same happened with Jimmy Landes last year.  He was one of three 6th Round picks by the Lions but was unable to beat out long time LS Don Muhlbach.  Landes ended up on I.R.,  then was released this off-season.  

A huge concern when changing long snappers during the season is the timing factor with the holder and kicker.  Especially,  in the first game they all play together.   The Packers saw this first hand 8 days ago on MNF,   as a low snap led to a blocked FG.

(11-14-2017, 02:53 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 02:08 PM)Dixon Cider Wrote: how do you get drafted in the 6th round this year as a LS and not make the team?  was he that bad?

We drafted a FB in the 7th that didn't make the team...
it happens.

Off topic: Your name is awesome reminds me of my old Xbox handle

lol they changed my name  Laughing Cry
[Image: harley-quinn-bubble-gum.gif]

From reading the links it sounds like he can be a positive addition. No one really realizes how important this position is until he is out of commission. I guess he'll be doing a lot of reps in practice to get the timing down come game time. 

And man, I miss Joey Zelenka. He seems like a pretty cool dude.

Big dude at 6'4/248. Patrick Mannelly, long time Bears LS seemed high on him.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn