Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Boycott Fails

https://sports.yahoo.com/despite-threat-...59264.html

I was sure I had the wrong week in mind at the game.  Dismal failure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This average stood out to me.

Jacksonville: Average 59,553; Sunday: 67,164

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well....with a cause dedicated to not showing while veterans are honored......you can expect a tough sell.

(11-13-2017, 09:33 PM)nate Wrote: Well....with a cause dedicated to not showing while veterans are honored......you can expect a tough sell.

The "cause" mis-calculated a number of things.

I would venture to say, though I don't have anything to back it up that those people behind the "cause" are not and/or not related to veterans and/or active duty members of the military.

I would also guess that fans of football, specifically the NFL are going to be fans.  They are going to show up regardless of the "protests" that some players choose to do.

For me personally (as a veteran myself), I had family in from out-of-town and bought 4 extra tickets to the game.  I went to the game because... it's what I've always done when I have had tickets and it was a great way to entertain my out-of-town family members (with one of them, my father also being a veteran).

It's kind of interesting for me because the people that I work with are by far majority veterans (we have a few that aren't).  When this whole circus started many of them swore that they refused to watch the games.  Today when I went to work, every one of them were talking about this past Sunday's game and they were waiting for me when I got there to hear my take regarding it.  There was even one that asked about getting tickets to the next home game and was asking about the tailgating ritual that we do.

The "cause" mis-calculated and thought differently about how veterans and REAL football fans really feel.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I can't remember any of these political boycotts ever working out. There are two recent examples I can think of. When the CEO/owner of Chick-Fil-A was quoted saying being gay is immoral, liberals promised me their boycott of Chick-Fil-A would put them out of business. Meanwhile, every time I pass one cars are wrapped around the building waiting in the drive-through.

Then, when Target okayed an anything goes bathroom policy, conservatives shook their fists at the sky and declared their boycott of Target would soon make their customer numbers look like Kmart's. Meanwhile, every time I'm in a Target, it's packed.

Ultimately, any talk of boycott is usually just bluster.

(11-13-2017, 11:49 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I can't remember any of these political boycotts ever working out. There are two recent examples I can think of. When the CEO/owner of Chick-Fil-A was quoted saying being gay is immoral, liberals promised me their boycott of Chick-Fil-A would put them out of business. Meanwhile, every time I pass one cars are wrapped around the building waiting in the drive-through.

Then, when Target okayed an anything goes bathroom policy, conservatives shook their fists at the sky and declared their boycott of Target would soon make their customer numbers look like Kmart's. Meanwhile, every time I'm in a Target, it's packed.

Ultimately, any talk of boycott is usually just bluster.

Sometimes a chicken sandwich is just a chicken sandwich.

(11-14-2017, 01:51 AM)TJBender Wrote: Sometimes a chicken sandwich is just a chicken sandwich.

Unless it's McDonald's. Then God only knows what it is.

(11-13-2017, 11:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 09:33 PM)nate Wrote: Well....with a cause dedicated to not showing while veterans are honored......you can expect a tough sell.

The "cause" mis-calculated a number of things.

I would venture to say, though I don't have anything to back it up that those people behind the "cause" are not and/or not related to veterans and/or active duty members of the military.

I would also guess that fans of football, specifically the NFL are going to be fans.  They are going to show up regardless of the "protests" that some players choose to do.

For me personally (as a veteran myself), I had family in from out-of-town and bought 4 extra tickets to the game.  I went to the game because... it's what I've always done when I have had tickets and it was a great way to entertain my out-of-town family members (with one of them, my father also being a veteran).

It's kind of interesting for me because the people that I work with are by far majority veterans (we have a few that aren't).  When this whole circus started many of them swore that they refused to watch the games.  Today when I went to work, every one of them were talking about this past Sunday's game and they were waiting for me when I got there to hear my take regarding it.  There was even one that asked about getting tickets to the next home game and was asking about the tailgating ritual that we do.

The "cause" mis-calculated and thought differently about how veterans and REAL football fans really feel.

Off-topic, how did they like it?  What a game to take them to, huh?  Wild.

Did.anybody actually see any protesters down there? I saw none, other than the typical "repent your sins" guys and the plane. As an Uber, I made several trips around the stadium before and after the game.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Not too surprised. The Jags weren't really big on anthem protests and only did it once with only part of the team participating. Most of the people boycotting probably felt that they had a victory after the apology and the discontinuing of the kneeling and therefore didn't actually do the boycott. If the Jags had done it every game like the 49ers or whoever, then I think people might have been inflammed enough to do it.

But lets be honest, the Jags are finally good, they only protested once, even the most uppity boycotter would be inclined to call it a day and come to the Jags game at this point.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-14-2017, 11:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 11:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The "cause" mis-calculated a number of things.

Off-topic, how did they like it?  What a game to take them to, huh?  Wild.

They had a great time, though it was kind of tiring for them (my father is 82 and my mother is 79).  My mother and father have gone to games with us before and have always enjoyed it.  I also had my cousin and her husband in town that have never been to an NFL game.  They were very impressed and mentioned coming back for another game sometime.

Back on-topic, I watched the telecast and the announcers on more than one occasion noted the crowd and how "great" it was.  The crowd was probably the best that I've seen this season (though I haven't made it to every game).

(11-14-2017, 09:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 11:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Off-topic, how did they like it?  What a game to take them to, huh?  Wild.

They had a great time, though it was kind of tiring for them (my father is 82 and my mother is 79).  My mother and father have gone to games with us before and have always enjoyed it.  I also had my cousin and her husband in town that have never been to an NFL game.  They were very impressed and mentioned coming back for another game sometime.

Back on-topic, I watched the telecast and the announcers on more than one occasion noted the crowd and how "great" it was.  The crowd was probably the best that I've seen this season (though I haven't made it to every game).

It's amazing what winning will do to a fanbase.

I call bull#$@*. As much as I want to buy a Ramsey and Fournette jersey, I choose not to. As much as I'd like to go to the bar and watch the game, I do not. I'm enjoying my little protest as well. The NFL can easily pad these stats because they know they're in dire straits at the moment. The real numbers will come out when the CBA is renegotiated, and until then everything else is fluff.

The real story is how does a multi conglomorate allow this to happen?

Re-signing Goodell seems futile to me as it happened on his watch. Jerry Jones seems to be a bit smarter than he appears.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(11-15-2017, 01:23 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I call bull#$@*. As much as I want to buy a Ramsey and Fournette jersey, I choose not to. As much as I'd like to go to the bar and watch the game, I do not. I'm enjoying my little protest as well. The NFL can easily pad these stats because they know they're in dire straits at the moment.  The real numbers will come out when the CBA is renegotiated, and until then everything else is fluff.

Re-signing Goodell seems futile to me as it happened on his watch. Jerry Jones seems to be a bit smarter than he appears.

Jerry's image is all marketing and the tv shots of the upper decks Sunday were still pretty empty.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-14-2017, 10:27 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 09:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: They had a great time, though it was kind of tiring for them (my father is 82 and my mother is 79).  My mother and father have gone to games with us before and have always enjoyed it.  I also had my cousin and her husband in town that have never been to an NFL game.  They were very impressed and mentioned coming back for another game sometime.

It's amazing what winning will do to a fanbase.

Even my mother who's never watched football in her life has become interested in the Jaguars.

(11-15-2017, 01:23 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I call bull#$@*. As much as I want to buy a Ramsey and Fournette jersey, I choose not to. As much as I'd like to go to the bar and watch the game, I do not. I'm enjoying my little protest as well. The NFL can easily pad these stats because they know they're in dire straits at the moment.  The real numbers will come out when the CBA is renegotiated, and until then everything else is fluff.

If 20k people stop watching... but 4 million still watch..... is it working?

Is there an actual in-the-gates attendance number? Those stands didn't even look like 55K showed up.

So why are you posting on a Jags message board?

Shouldn't that be part of your protest?

(11-15-2017, 11:51 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Is there an actual in-the-gates attendance number? Those stands didn't even look like 55K showed up.

I read somewhere that the attendance was 60,xxx. But I don't know how the NFL counts attendance.

Years ago I think MLB changed from tickets sold to actual people attended. I don't know about the NFL. I think they go by turnstile count but I could be wrong.

I was there, and there were at least 60,xxx there. Everbank is real hard to judge. A number of people on the east side can't deal with the sun for the entire game so many are inside. Then you add on the number of people not in there seats because they are hanging out in the Bud Zone, etc., so who knows.

It seemed well attended. The energy was certainly there.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(11-15-2017, 12:00 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 11:51 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Is there an actual in-the-gates attendance number? Those stands didn't even look like 55K showed up.

I read somewhere that the attendance was 60,xxx. But I don't know how the NFL counts attendance.

Years ago I think MLB changed from tickets sold to actual people attended. I don't know about the NFL. I think they go by turnstile count but I could be wrong.

I was there, and there were at least 60,xxx there. Everbank is real hard to judge. A number of people on the east side can't deal with the sun for the entire game so many are inside. Then you add on the number of people not in there seats because they are hanging out in the Bud Zone, etc., so who knows.

It seemed well attended. The energy was certainly there.
It was just over 67,000 thru the turnstile

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk