Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN

School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN

A Georgia family is under fire for allowing a seventh grader to wear a T-shirt that mocked liberal news network CNN on a school field trip to CNN’s Atlanta headquarters -- but the boy's parents think the school violated the First Amendment by making their son take it off.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...o-cnn.html
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-16-2017, 05:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN

A Georgia family is under fire for allowing a seventh grader to wear a T-shirt that mocked liberal news network CNN on a school field trip to CNN’s Atlanta headquarters -- but the boy's parents think the school violated the First Amendment by making their son take it off.

I feel bad for the kid... his parents are clearly filling his head with propaganda.

This goes double for kids wearing Che Guevara shirts..

Parents all suck now. Stop manipulating your children.

White Privilege at its finest

The First Amendment does not apply to private institutions or educational institutions public or private. I don't get why people keep saying that it does.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM by The Drifter.)

(11-16-2017, 05:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: The First Amendment does not apply to private institutions or educational institutions public or private. I don't get why people keep saying that it does.

You're wrong: Tinker v. Des Moines - Landmark Supreme Court Ruling on Behalf of Student Expression

The Court ruled that the First Amendment applied to public schools, and school officials could not censor student speech unless it disrupted the educational process.

https://www.aclu.org/other/tinker-v-des-...expression
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(11-16-2017, 05:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: The First Amendment does not apply to private institutions or educational institutions public or private. I don't get why people keep saying that it does.

Because it does apply to public schools when we force them to recognize it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Wrong.  The First Amendment most certainly applies to public institutions educational or otherwise.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can't say that the woman who flipped off Trump should lose her job, yet this kid shouldn't have had to remove his shirt. It's either one way or the other.

(11-16-2017, 09:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can't say that the woman who flipped off Trump should lose her job, yet this kid shouldn't have had to remove his shirt. It's either one way or the other.

No, it isn't.

The woman is an adult, who voluntarily agreed to the terms of her contract, and then violated the terms of her contract. Then she chose to represent her private company negatively when she used that image to represent herself on Facebook and Twitter.

The other is a child in a public school that he's mandated to attend.

Do you genuinely not see the difference? A private company versus a public entity? We're supposed to teach these children about free speech, and then they tell him he's not allowed to display his right. I have no doubt the CNN tour was to show demonstrate that right.

(11-16-2017, 08:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Wrong.  The First Amendment most certainly applies to public institutions educational or otherwise.

There's a long history of school newspapers being censored and school administration winning the fight. The grounds for allowing the censorship to take place are that the First Amendment can be overridden by school administrators if they feel it's warranted.

(11-16-2017, 10:48 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 08:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Wrong.  The First Amendment most certainly applies to public institutions educational or otherwise.

There's a long history of school newspapers being censored and school administration winning the fight. The grounds for allowing the censorship to take place are that the First Amendment can be overridden by school administrators if they feel it's warranted.

The grounds are that the school paper belongs to the school therefore they have oversight of the content. This is not the same thing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

So his parents get to make a political statement and get "famous", now they can start a blog and get paid for manipulating their child into wearing a political billboard. Awesome.

EDIT: And yes, legally they had no right to remove it. I'm focusing more on the age of the kid and the parents' influence on his wearing it.

(11-17-2017, 09:43 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So his parents get to make a political statement and get "famous", now they can start a blog and get paid for manipulating their child into wearing a political billboard. Awesome.

EDIT: And yes, legally they had no right to remove it. I'm focusing more on the age of the kid and the parents' influence on his wearing it.

How long since you were a 7th grader? Because parental influence on fashion is out the window at that age.

(11-17-2017, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 09:43 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So his parents get to make a political statement and get "famous", now they can start a blog and get paid for manipulating their child into wearing a political billboard. Awesome.

How long since you were a 7th grader? Because parental influence on fashion is out the window at that age.

Really? How much money did you earn as a 12 year old?

His parents still buy him everything he owns - take him everywhere to get said clothes - - - like I said before, they dressed him to make a political statement in the hopes of having 15 minutes of fame. Job success.

If Y'all bothered to read the article, the Boy ASKED for a shirt that had the FakeNewsNework on it to wear to the field trip. And his Parents explained to him about the backlash he could recieve.

(11-17-2017, 11:16 AM)The Drifter Wrote: If Y'all bothered to read the article, the Boy ASKED for a shirt that had the FakeNewsNework on it to wear to the field trip. And his Parents explained to him about the backlash he could recieve.

Because parents like that are to be believed.

Doesn't affect me, I don't care at the end of the day. Just feel bad for the kid

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM by Kane.)

(11-16-2017, 05:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 05:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN

I feel bad for the kid... his parents are clearly filling his head with propaganda.

Indeed. I despise seeing people with their kids on corners holding political vote for me signs.
Kids should be free to be kids while they can. They'll have plenty of time in HS, College, and adult life to deal with politics.

I love the shirt. I think having your kid wear it is questionable. And sending him to school in it is probably not a good idea. Wearing it while going to a trip to CNN is bad taste for sure. Just don't sign the slip for your kid to take the trip if you're anti-CNN.

Or... just let him go and learn something and leave politics out of your 10 year (or whatever age) olds brain.

(11-17-2017, 11:16 AM)The Drifter Wrote: If Y'all bothered to read the article, the Boy ASKED for a shirt that had the FakeNewsNework on it to wear to the field trip. And his Parents explained to him about the backlash he could recieve.

Yeah well that's when parents should know better. And they've obviously created an environment where there child is pro-trump, anti-fake news...

That's just a volatile nature to bring up a kid... bad form, imo.

Kid should be wearing a Transformers shirt... or Paw Patrol... or whatever.

(11-17-2017, 11:40 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 05:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I feel bad for the kid... his parents are clearly filling his head with propaganda.

Indeed. I despise seeing people with their kids on corners holding political vote for me signs.
Kids should be free to be kids while they can. They'll have plenty of time in HS, College, and adult life to deal with politics.

I love the shirt. I think having your kid wear it is questionable. And sending him to school in it is probably not a good idea. Wearing it while going to a trip to CNN is bad taste for sure. Just don't sign the slip for your kid to take the trip if you're anti-CNN.

Or... just let him go and learn something and leave politics out of your 10 year (or whatever age) olds brain.

Yeah well that's when parents should know better. And they've obviously created an environment where there child is pro-trump, anti-fake news...

That's just a volatile nature to bring up a kid... bad form, imo.

Kid should be wearing a Transformers shirt... or Paw Patrol... or whatever.

Times have changed...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wasn't there an outcry, some from conservatives or Republicans here, when middle schoolers wouldn't pose for a photo with Paul Ryan?

It goes both ways, in my opinion they should let this kid wear the shirt. Maybe it will spark a discussion.

My first grade class was the first year my school system integrated. We still had duck and cover drills. During my elementary school years I witnessed riots at the Democratic National Convention, freedom marches, race riots, draft card and bra burning rallies on TV. I saw SDS rallies on a local college campus. In middle school it was Watergate and the end of the Vietnam War. We discussed these things in our family. It is even more impossible to shield kids from politics now.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

It's sad when people can take your freedom of speech or expression away from you. I've never understood that. Especially in today's world. It's not hate speech. It's not inciting racism. It's not reflecting any profanity. When you start taking things away from people like this you miss out on a grand opportunity to meet in the middle and have a healthy debate. Instead of denying one's freedoms. Question them. Try to reason with them. Debate them. Inspire critical thinking instead of shunning and turning people away.

I have my views. I say it a lot in this forum. I typically stand in the middle. I lean left with some issues and I lean right with some others. But this example is truly frustrating.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."