Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Norv Turner quits Vikings OC job

Meh... meeehhhhh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:  Bullseye,   like yourself,   I think very highly of Norv Turner as an Offensive Coordinator.    In addition to what you mentioned,  RT Andre Smith landed on I.R. in October and were w/o RB Jerick McKinnon against the Bears in Chicago the other night.   Norv Turner certainly wasn't playing with a full deck.

Though Sam Bradford was playing very well before his protection fell apart the last couple of games,   I'm sure it was quite a challenge for Norv Turner to adjust the Vikings Offense on short notice from the style of Teddy Bridgewater to the vastly different style of Bradford.

I hope this isn't health related.   Norv Turner is one of the best people in the NFL.   I certainly wish him the best.  His son Scott Turner continues to be the Vikings QB Coach and should have a bright future in coaching. 

I hope it is not health related as well.

I also hope that, if not health related, he is given top consideration for the OC post for our new head coach.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:We could and have done a heck of a lot worse than Norv Turner.  It won't do much good to bring him in now since he can't install his offense but again we have done much worse.

He may be available to whomever replaces Bradley next season.

Turner is supposed to be a QB guru, and God knows Bortles needs guruing.

That is, if spacecoastjag isn't available. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I hope it is not health related as well.

I also hope that, if not health related, he is given top consideration for the OC post for our new head coach.

All signs point away from medical reasons. I don't know what to think of him being the next HC in Jacksonville, but he certainly should get an interview for the job.

Quote:I doubt anybody could see it coming. Total shocker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...oordinator

Pick up the phone, Shad Khan.
Pick up the phone? 

What part of Turner resigning because of personal reasons do you find confusing? 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Whatever the reason, it was significant enough that he decided to step down mid-season.  I have to wonder if it's his health because normally, someone in his position would be more inclined to take a leave of absence over quitting completely.  It's a shame.  He's one of those very consistent coordinators. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

One thing in particular that has impressed me with Norv Turner as a play caller over the years is the success of TEs in the passing game.   Being that through this point in time that many Jaguars fans are concerned about the production from the TE position with the team,   Turner is someone who could easily upgrade that component of the Jaguars Offense if he's healthy enough to coach in 2017.  

Quote:Pick up the phone? 

What part of Turner resigning because of personal reasons do you find confusing? 

Why not? We have a vacancy at the same position. Norv Turner is pretty good at it.

Why do you think I am confused about anything?

Quote:Whatever the reason, it was significant enough that he decided to step down mid-season.  I have to wonder if it's his health because normally, someone in his position would be more inclined to take a leave of absence over quitting completely.  It's a shame.  He's one of those very consistent coordinators. 

Being that Mike Zimmer had a health procedure yesterday,  the timing of Norv Turner's decision is that much more surprising.   Zimmer seems ok following the procedure. Yet,  even with the results in Chicago the other night,    anytime a HC goes through a medical procedure regardless of how minor it seems,  one doesn't expect the team's OC to resign the next day. 

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 01:34 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:  One thing in particular that has impressed me with Norv Turner as a play caller over the years is the success of TEs in the passing game.   Being that through this point in time that many Jaguars fans are concerned about the production from the TE position with the team,   Turner is someone who could easily upgrade that component of the Jaguars Offense if he's healthy enough to coach in 2017.  

We can certainly use a coaching upgrade there, but more important are better OL coaches. How did that work out for the Lions?

Quote:We can certainly use a coaching upgrade there, but more important are better OL coaches. How did that work out for the Lions?

Current Offensive Line Coach Ron Prince is getting better results than former Lions O-Line Coach Jeremiah Washburn got in his final 1 1/2 seasons with the Lions.   However,  a huge part of that probably is because of the changes Offensive Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter made in the Offense compared to former OC Joe Lombardi.   Washburn actually did a great job in his first season ( 2013 ) as O-Line Coach with the team when Scott Linehan was OC.    Especially,  with all of the changes on the O-Line that year.   The complex nature of Lombardi's Offense very likely had more to do with the Lions struggles on the O-Line in 2014 and the first 7 games in 2015 than Washburn's coaching.   

Have you guys watched his offense recently lol

He isnt an upgrade

Quote:Why not? We have a vacancy at the same position. Norv Turner is pretty good at it.

Why do you think I am confused about anything?

He didn't quit for new opportunities. It's pretty clear.

GET HIM IN JAX NOW!!!!

Quote:GET HIM IN JAX NOW!!!!
Minnesota is currently 31st in total yards per game (293.3) and 23rd in points per game (19.9).

Yes... get him now.

Quote:Have you guys watched his offense recently lol

He isnt an upgrade
Yes...I have watched his offense operate without his starting QB he had in training camp (Bridgewater), without his starting RB (Adrian Peterson), and now without his starting tackles.

Perhaps his resume and expertise transcend his most recent year.  Just a thought.

Quote:Yes...I have watched his offense operate without his starting QB he had in training camp (Bridgewater), without his starting RB (Adrian Peterson), and now without his starting tackles.

Perhaps his resume and expertise transcend his most recent year. Just a thought.
Perhaps his playcalling is just unimaginative even with serviceable weapons. Perhaps the condescension is unnecessary. Just a thought.

Quote:Perhaps his playcalling is just unimaginative even with serviceable weapons. Perhaps the condescension is unnecessary. Just a thought.
Unimaginative?

His offenses in San Diego ranked in the top 5 in scoring for five straight years from 2007-2012.

In 2013 he had Cleveland-yes CLEVELAND-at 15th in offense and 18th in scoring.

His offenses are plenty imaginative with the right personnel and have proven so since the 1990s.

Quote:He didn't quit for new opportunities. It's pretty clear.

That has nothing to do with anything I said.

It is pretty clear he is not retiring.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 03:56 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Minnesota is currently 31st in total yards per game (293.3) and 23rd in points per game (19.9).

Yes... get him now.

Without Teddy Bridgewater, Adrian Peterson, Matt Khalil, Andre Smith, or for one week Stefon Diggs. Nobody in his right mind would ignore the injury reports.