Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Norv Turner quits Vikings OC job

Quote:That has nothing to do with anything I said.

It is pretty clear he is not retiring.

It has plenty to do with what you said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Norv is very respected, but I don't think we should jump at any OC. we should find the one that best suits Bortles.

Norv though will not be out on the streets long.

Quote:It has plenty to do with what you said.

Not one bit. I clearly stated it is for "personal reasons" that will not be disclosed.

Were going to be building this team, again, from the ground up. That doesn't start with a new OC, and learning a whole new offense mid-season while trying to game plan with the worst coaching staff we may ever see here in Jax doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Quote:Norv is very respected, but I don't think we should jump at any OC. we should find the one that best suits Bortles.

There is no harm in interviewing him.

Quote:Not one bit. I clearly stated it is for "personal reasons" that will not be disclosed.

Okay then.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 04:03 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Norv is very respected, but I don't think we should jump at any OC. we should find the one that best suits Bortles.

I think it depends on the philosophy of the head coach.

I think a WCO coach like Shanahan or Gruden should not bring Turner aboard.

I think a defensive minded coach that needs a good offensive coordinator (Mike Smith), or a non spread, non WCO offensive coach (Coughlin) should strongly consider Norv Turner.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 04:05 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Were going to be building this team, again, from the ground up. That doesn't start with a new OC, and learning a whole new offense mid-season while trying to game plan with the worst coaching staff we may ever see here in Jax doesn't seem like a very good idea.

So you want to keep the same offensive scheme that is a complete failure? What the offense needs (along with a fullback and OL upgrades) is a new scheme that someone like Norv Turner can offer.

There is no reason to think I suggested hiring him midseason unless you did not read my post correctly.

Quote:I think it depends on the philosophy of the head coach.

I think a WCO coach like Shanahan or Gruden should not bring Turner aboard.

I think a defensive minded coach that needs a good offensive coordinator (Mike Smith), or a non spread, non WCO offensive coach (Coughlin) should strongly consider Norv Turner.

I'm hoping for the first part. I want an offensive minded coach. I want to be at least entertained. Lets lose like the Saints, than like the browns.

Quote:I'm hoping for the first part. I want an offensive minded coach. I want to be at least entertained. Lets lose like the Saints, then like the browns.

How do we lose like the Saints? LOL

Quote:So you want to keep the same offensive scheme that is a complete failure? What the offense needs (along with a fullback and OL upgrades) is a new scheme that someone like Norv Turner can offer.

There is no reason to think I suggested hiring him midseason unless you did not read my post correctly.

If you honestly think one person is going to come here and change everything that's wrong with this offense in enough time to save Gus Bradley from getting fired and in turn keep his own job, then I'm truly jealous of your ability to hold hope in even the darkest of times. I however am not asking you how silly your idea is, because I already know. Bringing Norv Turner here would be about as useful as firing Gus. Or as useful as firing Olsen was. None of those things are going to have any kind of ""game-changing" impact at this point, so we might as well ride it out until we can start over again. There's no bandaid big enough to stop the amount of bleeding going on here.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:If you honestly think one person is going to come here and change everything that's wrong with this offense in enough time to save Gus Bradley from getting fired and in turn keep his own job, then I'm truly jealous of your ability to hold hope in even the darkest of times. I however am not asking you how silly your idea is, because I already know. Bringing Norv Turner here would be about as useful as firing Gus. Or as useful as firing Olsen was. None of those things are going to have any kind of ""game-changing" impact at this point, so we might as well ride it out until we can start over again. There's no bandaid big enough to stop the amount of bleeding going on here.

I never said one person is going to change the offense or that Norv Turner will be a band-aid. I also never said hiring Turner will save Gus Bradley's job.

Quote:Unimaginative?

His offenses in San Diego ranked in the top 5 in scoring for five straight years from 2007-2012.

In 2013 he had Cleveland-yes CLEVELAND-at 15th in offense and 18th in scoring.

His offenses are plenty imaginative with the right personnel and have proven so since the 1990s.
Thats really cool man, but watching Norvs offense in *2016* its unimaginative. Repeated runs up the middle with backs that arent peterson so theyre not good enough to actually make them into something and vertical passing that clearly isnt working. But thanks for all those irrelevant stats ill keep them in mind while watching games in real life.

He did pretty good in San Diego with a young QB who had a strong arm and funny release.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 05:06 PM by GlockBortles.)

via reddit

Conspiracy theory: Shurmur was actually the one designing and calling plays the first 4 games with Bradford due to his familiarity coaching him. Norv got his duties back over the bye week and produced two extremely lack luster games back at the helm designing and calling plays. Spielman and management tell Norv they want Shurmur calling plays and Norv resigns.

The offense before and after the bye was very different with way more air coryell(the basis for norvs offense) after the bye. So this makes sense.

Norv to the jags if there is a god
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:via reddit

Conspiracy theory: Shurmur was actually the one designing and calling plays the first 4 games with Bradford due to his familiarity coaching him. Norv got his duties back over the bye week and produced two extremely lack luster games back at the helm designing and calling plays. Spielman and management tell Norv they want Shurmur calling plays and Norv resigns.

The offense before and after the bye was very different with way more air coryell(the basis for norvs offense) after the bye. So this makes sense.

It makes no sense. The Vikings were very good on offense before the bye week, so they had no reason to change anything.

Quote:Thats really cool man, but watching Norvs offense in *2016* its unimaginative. Repeated runs up the middle with backs that arent peterson so theyre not good enough to actually make them into something and vertical passing that clearly isnt working. But thanks for all those irrelevant stats ill keep them in mind while watching games in real life.
So the stats I cited weren't generated in real life?!??!?

Do you think the injuries to the 2016 Vikings aren't real life  with real life effects on the Vikings offense?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Norv Turner can just walk into Everbank and take a dump in the restroom and then walk back out and it would already be an upgrade to our organization

Quote:Norv Turner can just walk into Everbank and take a dump in the restroom and then walk back out and it would already be an upgrade to our organization

Huh?