Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Justice League

So, has anyone else seen this yet? We saw it yesterday (gotta love $5 Tuesday) and it wasn't bad but it wasn't awesome either. I stayed away from anything that could possibly spoil any part of it outside of the trailers so I went in pretty blind. These were my thoughts as I watched it.

-There is a scene early on where a superhero (who shall not be named for spoiler purposes) looked all jacked up. I couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong but they just looked....wrong.

-The whole thing feels disjointed. Like it's supposed to make sense but it just doesn't and you're not sure why. 

-The addition of Cyborg and Aquaman was cool, only there was zero backstory. Or at least not any that those who are not comic readers would understand. 

-The bad dude didn't make a lot of sense and my husband said afterward that the alien creatures and how they came to earth reminded him of the Avengers movie. 

When we got home I looked it up on Facebook (that seems to be the only way to get any real time info anymore) and that's where I discovered there was a long list of reasons why the movie was not as good as it could have been and it all comes down to WB mandating a two hour run time so they could have more showings in the theaters. At least 30 minutes of footage was cut, almost everything in the trailers that made the movie look awesome was cut, thus the disjointed feel and the Cyborg/Aquaman introduction issues. 

WB should be drawn and quartered for screwing this movie over. Apparently they mandated a lot of editing for Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad as well and is why they both also fell flat. BvS has an Ultimate Edition DVD/Blu-ray that adds the scenes back in and makes that a more complete movie and I am hoping that happens with JL. That's the only way WB is going to make fans happy and recoup money they are losing at the box office.

DC is already way behind Marvel in this whole thing and WB sticking their noses in where they don't belong isn't helping- at all. I was wondering why box office numbers weren't looking great for this ensemble movie and now I know why. I'm glad we only paid $5/person to see this. Had we paid full price we'd have been a lot more disappointed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just another step in ruination of the DCverse.  It's like they're trying to kill it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I've heard that the obvious Joss Whedon bits aren't terrible, but the rest of the movie is utter garbage. I grew up on Batman, and I still haven't bothered with a DCCU movie because they've all gotten such terrible reviews (from critics and friends alike).

(11-23-2017, 03:49 PM)TJBender Wrote: I've heard that the obvious Joss Whedon bits aren't terrible, but the rest of the movie is utter garbage. I grew up on Batman, and I still haven't bothered with a DCCU movie because they've all gotten such terrible reviews (from critics and friends alike).

I only noticed one glaring re-shoot problem and it was the one I mentioned in my OP where the actor looked weird. They had to be partially CGI'd and it was so horrifically obvious something was wrong with the whole thing even if you didn't know why. Now that I know it makes sense but whoever did the CGI and whoever approved of that showing up on screen should all be fired. If I was the actor I'd be pissed. But then I would have also made a butt ton of money so.....

Blame Zack Snyder. That man simply can't direct. Why the studio hired him to direct this film is beyond my comprehension. His movies are boring, contain too many scenes that are meaningless and the man makes all his CGI look like video games. This movie probably would have been even worse had Joss Whedon not cleaned it up a bit. Marvel is so far ahead of DC, when it comes to films, that it's ridiculous.

(11-24-2017, 03:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Blame Zack Snyder. That man simply can't direct. Why the studio hired him to direct this film is beyond my comprehension. His movies are boring, contain too many scenes that are meaningless and the man makes all his CGI look like video games. This movie probably would have been even worse had Joss Whedon not cleaned it up a bit. Marvel is so far ahead of DC, when it comes to films, that it's ridiculous.

There are many reasons why JL wasn't as good as it could be and Snyder is one of them. A lot of people don't like Whedon either though, so I reckon it's a crapshoot depending on who you talk to. I think one reason why Marvel is better is because the studio doesn't try to micromanage every single thing. DC has good actors for their movies (so far) so it's not that. Their biggest problem is they're trying to play catch-up and rushing everything and it's obvious and it makes for bad movies. Or not quite good ones.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 12:39 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-28-2017, 03:59 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 03:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Blame Zack Snyder. That man simply can't direct. Why the studio hired him to direct this film is beyond my comprehension. His movies are boring, contain too many scenes that are meaningless and the man makes all his CGI look like video games. This movie probably would have been even worse had Joss Whedon not cleaned it up a bit. Marvel is so far ahead of DC, when it comes to films, that it's ridiculous.

There are many reasons why JL wasn't as good as it could be and Snyder is one of them. A lot of people don't like Whedon either though, so I reckon it's a crapshoot depending on who you talk to. I think one reason why Marvel is better is because the studio doesn't try to micromanage every single thing. DC has good actors for their movies (so far) so it's not that. Their biggest problem is they're trying to play catch-up and rushing everything and it's obvious and it makes for bad movies. Or not quite good ones.
You and I can disagree on the bolded part. Jesse Eisenberg was a terrible choice to play Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman. He looked or acted nothing like Luthor. Although Ezra Miller is a good actor, casting him to play a superhero is ridiculous. He looks nothing like what the character of Flash, is supposed to be. Ben Affleck's performance of Batman is laughable. He's trying so hard to use the "Christian Bale voice" that it's obvious he's blatantly ripping off Bale's performance. Finally, Henry Cavill is about as wooden and stoic as they come. He actually made Superman boring. He has no personality and brought absolutely nothing to the character.

After the dark knight trilogy I've hated all the DC movies.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The DCMU is a mess.

The Flash solo movie might not even happen.
I think the Cyborg solo flick has already been shelved.

The Batman solo flick is in disarray.

And almost anytime a movie is so crappy it's the production company to blame.
Directors are rarely given the freedom to make the movie their way and that is why a lot of directors get moved from projects halfway thru.

The documentary "The Death of Superman Lives" laid it all out. Tim Burton/Kevin Smith Superman movie starring Nic Cage that never was.....

Man of Steel was OK
BvS was not.
Suicide Squad was OK.
Wonder Woman got a lot of hype but it was just Meh for me.
Justice League has reportedly been a "mess to watch" albeit somewhat enjoyable and "fun".

DC movies always get the redbox treatment from me. And Marvel, while not without their own flaws, seemingly nail their movies for the most part, imo.

It's a shame that the CW's DC properties are better than anything Hollywood has been able to dish out recently. And those shows are saturated in 'teen drama/romance' type feels.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I just watched the new trailer for Avengers: Infinity War and I have to say, that I had more fun watching that trailer, than I did sitting through the entire film of Batman vs. Superman.

(11-29-2017, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 03:59 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There are many reasons why JL wasn't as good as it could be and Snyder is one of them. A lot of people don't like Whedon either though, so I reckon it's a crapshoot depending on who you talk to. I think one reason why Marvel is better is because the studio doesn't try to micromanage every single thing. DC has good actors for their movies (so far) so it's not that. Their biggest problem is they're trying to play catch-up and rushing everything and it's obvious and it makes for bad movies. Or not quite good ones.
You and I can disagree on the bolded part. Jesse Eisenberg was a terrible choice to play Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman. He looked or acted nothing like Luthor. Although Ezra Miller is a good actor, casting him to play a superhero is ridiculous. He looks nothing like what the character of Flash, is supposed to be. Ben Affleck's performance of Batman is laughable. He's trying so hard to use the "Christian Bale voice" that it's obvious he's blatantly ripping off Bale's performance. Finally, Henry Cavill is about as wooden and stoic as they come. He actually made Superman boring. He has no personality and brought absolutely nothing to the character.

I didn't say the actors were fantastic in their parts, I just said they're good actors. My bad.  I'm not a comic reader so I don't really get caught up in the comparisons of the comic version vs the movie version. That being said, I agree Eisenberg was not a good choice. His version is not what I picture at all when I think of the character of LL. I only know Flash from the few times I've seen him on Arrow so I don't know anything about him.

(11-29-2017, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 03:59 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There are many reasons why JL wasn't as good as it could be and Snyder is one of them. A lot of people don't like Whedon either though, so I reckon it's a crapshoot depending on who you talk to. I think one reason why Marvel is better is because the studio doesn't try to micromanage every single thing. DC has good actors for their movies (so far) so it's not that. Their biggest problem is they're trying to play catch-up and rushing everything and it's obvious and it makes for bad movies. Or not quite good ones.

I actually like Batfleck and Henry Cavill.
My issue with DC is less about acting and much more about direction and story telling. They are weak in every movie in that aspect.
The movies as a whole tend to be messy.

(11-30-2017, 11:31 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You and I can disagree on the bolded part. Jesse Eisenberg was a terrible choice to play Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman. He looked or acted nothing like Luthor. Although Ezra Miller is a good actor, casting him to play a superhero is ridiculous. He looks nothing like what the character of Flash, is supposed to be. Ben Affleck's performance of Batman is laughable. He's trying so hard to use the "Christian Bale voice" that it's obvious he's blatantly ripping off Bale's performance. Finally, Henry Cavill is about as wooden and stoic as they come. He actually made Superman boring. He has no personality and brought absolutely nothing to the character.

My issue with DC is less about acting and much more about direction and story telling. They are weak in every movie in that aspect.

I do as well. Affleck is playing an older version of Batman/Bruce Wayne than has ever been portrayed on screen to my knowledge. I think he does well with it. I don't see the Christian Bale influence at all. At this point Bruce/Batman have been doing this awhile and Affleck conveys his weariness quite well. 

I love Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman. I don't think he's wooden in his performance at all. I think he's playing the character as a humble guy who didn't ask for the responsibility he has and is doing his best under the circumstances. His facial expressions convey a lot of emotion he's feeling at any given time. 

Totally agree with the direction and story telling. I thought WW was a solid movie. I actually liked it better the second time around. It has it's issues but no movie is perfect.

Gene Hackman will never be surpassed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-29-2017, 09:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 12:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You and I can disagree on the bolded part. Jesse Eisenberg was a terrible choice to play Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman. He looked or acted nothing like Luthor. Although Ezra Miller is a good actor, casting him to play a superhero is ridiculous. He looks nothing like what the character of Flash, is supposed to be. Ben Affleck's performance of Batman is laughable. He's trying so hard to use the "Christian Bale voice" that it's obvious he's blatantly ripping off Bale's performance. Finally, Henry Cavill is about as wooden and stoic as they come. He actually made Superman boring. He has no personality and brought absolutely nothing to the character.

I didn't say the actors were fantastic in their parts, I just said they're good actors. My bad.  I'm not a comic reader so I don't really get caught up in the comparisons of the comic version vs the movie version. That being said, I agree Eisenberg was not a good choice. His version is not what I picture at all when I think of the character of LL. I only know Flash from the few times I've seen him on Arrow so I don't know anything about him.

I'm not a comic book reader either. I base my comparisons on the superhero cartoons I watched as a kid. I was obsessed with them. I never got into comics though. I'm just not much of a reader. I prefer seeing things play out in live action.

(11-30-2017, 11:31 AM)Kane Wrote:

The stories and direction are definitely the biggest problems. I don't know how they can continue to fail so badly, when this is something Marvel excels at.

(12-01-2017, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Gene Hackman will never be surpassed.

Hackman is what I think of when I hear the name, Lex Luthor. He was perfectly casts for that role. Too bad the movie was so cheesy.

(12-01-2017, 01:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Gene Hackman will never be surpassed.

Hackman is what I think of when I hear the name, Lex Luthor. He was perfectly casts for that role. Too bad the movie was so cheesy.

ITA on both counts. I loved Christopher Reeve as well and am sad he was brought down by the cheese factor. A lot of movies suffered that fate back in the day. The crazy thing is, back then they didn't seem that cheesy. I mean, look at some of the Star Wars and Star Trek stuff. I shudder to think in 30 years the current Star Wars, Star Trek other action flicks will be considered cheesy.

Wonder Woman was the best the DCU has managed, and it still was subpar compared to a very similar movie in Captain America: The First Avenger. It beats some of the worse Marvel films (Hulk, Iron Man 2) but its story still had loads of inconsistencies and I still have no idea how she hid that sword without slicing off her butt.

DC can't figure it out. They're trying to match Marvel without any of the time investment, character development, or storytelling that Marvel has crafted. The MCU probably saved Marvel Comics, but I think these DC movies might doom DC's.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017, 08:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-01-2017, 08:00 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Wonder Woman was the best the DCU has managed, and it still was subpar compared to a very similar movie in Captain America: The First Avenger.  It beats some of the worse Marvel films (Hulk, Iron Man 2) but its story still had loads of inconsistencies and I still have no idea how she hid that sword without slicing off her butt.

DC can't figure it out.  They're trying to match Marvel without any of the time investment, character development, or storytelling that Marvel has crafted.  The MCU probably saved Marvel Comics, but I think these DC movies might doom DC's.

I actually liked Wonder Woman better than Captain America: The First Avenger and it was definitely better than Doctor Strange, but like you say, it was still sub-par when compared to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers or Thor: Ragnarok. Those happen to be my favorites from the Marvel Universe.