Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calais Campbell is the best FA signing in Jaguars history

Don't even kid yourself. Yes, Bouye is amazing. Yes, we've had other great players. Calais transcends the game. He is likely a HoF caliber player one day. He motivates the whole damn team. The money the Jags paid him seemed a lot to many but with what he has given our team he deserves even MORE. Arizona is dumb.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's not a HoF caliber player as this is far and away his best season. That said, he definitely is our best ever free agent signing on defense. Keenan McCardell may have something to say about being the overall best signing though.

Jimmy Smith

Keenan McCardell
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

He's up there with John Chick, that's for sure.

(11-23-2017, 06:41 AM)Rico Wrote: Keenan McCardell

Not a free agent.

If Calais gives three or more years here at this year's level (double digit sacks) and the Jaguars win a Superbowl or two with dynamic defense then he might stand a chance at the hall of fame.

Jimmy Smith

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2017, 08:39 AM by Bullseye.)

(11-23-2017, 07:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Not a free agent.

If Calais gives three or more years here at this year's level (double digit sacks) and the Jaguars win a Superbowl or two with dynamic defense then he might stand a chance at the hall of fame.

McCardell was a free agent in 1996.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...CaKe00.htm

(11-23-2017, 06:46 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's up there with John Chick, that's for sure.

Yeah..but can't hold a candle to Stalin Colinet. 

Laughing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-23-2017, 08:36 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jimmy Smith

I'm talking about as an overall player on and off the field. Calais gives this team so much juice and a tough identity.

(11-23-2017, 07:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Not a free agent.

Incorrect.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-23-2017, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-23-2017, 07:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Not a free agent.

McCardell was a free agent in 1996.

(11-23-2017, 06:46 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's up there with John Chick, that's for sure.

Laughing

Not sure why, but I thought he was a low draft pick trade. However it seems I was wrong. Either way I would rank Jimmy Smith over him in the pantheon of best free agent signings.

Keenan was the leading receiver for the Browns when we signed him.

Today, #82 is still the best free agent in franchise history. Campbell is #2 in my book, but has the chance to exceed Jimmy if he keeps it up. The guy has truly changed the ide city of this team.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

He may not be the best free agent signing yet but he sure is up there. One must consider his impact to the team, not just his performance but also as a leader, his influence on others has big impact on how they perform as a unit.

Don't forget Leon Searcy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Guys! It will always be Jimmy Smith. He's in our pride. Campbell might give us 2 more years at best.

Keenan made multiple pro bowls. Started thunder and lightning. Most catches in a game. Multiple playoff games. One of the top receivers for many years.

Campbell is 3rd. He is a beast but longevity is why he's 3rd.

Don't forget about Red Bryant.

(11-23-2017, 09:32 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-23-2017, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: McCardell was a free agent in 1996.

Laughing

Not sure why, but I thought he was a low draft pick trade. However it seems I was wrong. Either way I would rank Jimmy Smith over him in the pantheon of best free agent signings.
He was a 12th round draft pick for Washington in 1991...but was not traded to any other team.

(11-23-2017, 02:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jimmy Smith

Does J-Smooth count? As I recall, he was a street free agent, not a UFA.

(11-23-2017, 01:35 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-23-2017, 02:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jimmy Smith

Does J-Smooth count? As I recall, he was a street free agent, not a UFA.

I would count him.  Yes he was a "street free agent" but a free agent nonetheless.

The reason I wouldn't consider Jimmy is because It was a low/risk high reward signing. We didn't gamble much. We went all in on Campbell. Coughlin/Caldwell basically threw him the whole checkbook and when you throw big money at a big FA and change the scheme they played in forever with new coaches and new players it tends to be....a train wreck . Calais has earned every penny.