Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A much needed wake up call

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM by knarnn.)

I'm finally over the disappointment in this past Sunday's game. I can now say I'm glad this game played out the way it did. If we are going to lose a game at least it is to an NFC opponent and not an AFC one. This also should bring the team back down to earth for the final run. The past few weeks there has been a lot of overzealous and over the top talking and bragging going on in the media from our players (mainly from the defense) and I feel they haven't been taking some of these games as serious as they should. After getting pencil whipped and smacked around offensively and defensively by a team that they were "supposed" to beat hopefully this game will serve as a turning point to our season. Hopefully our coaches will get out of their reluctance to change and adjust and get back to our roots on what got us to 7 wins in the first place. The team we are playing this week had a similar game against us in 2006 when Fred and MJD ran for 375 yards. That game served as their wake up call on the way to winning a super bowl. If we can get back to "winning" football and get some of our injured players back to health (Hurns, Smith, Parnell, and Omameh we miss you!) we can make a run. Even though we lost we still control our own destiny for the division title.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree with you, I just think it's ridiculous that we even needed a wakeup call to begin with. They should be going into every game expecting a tough battle and never looking down on our opponents. I saw a quote from Gipson saying something along the lines of underestimating Blaine Gabbert. I understand it's Gabbert but you can't afford to do that...especially this time of the year. Every game needs to be a must win and respecting the opponent.

I believe they gave up on the run too early. Keep running the ball and something will break.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-27-2017, 06:36 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I believe they gave up on the run too early.  Keep running the ball and something will break.

Totally agree. That's supposedly what this team is. To add, I'm not sure why Fournette was on the bench for most of the 4th quarter.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-27-2017, 06:39 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 06:36 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I believe they gave up on the run too early.  Keep running the ball and something will break.

Totally agree. That's supposedly what this team is. To add, I'm not sure why Fournette was on the bench for most of the 4th quarter.

Only thing I can think is that they trusted Yeldon to pass protect more. I noticed they started putting Marcedes back there too.

As for the loss, it sucks, but as said, probably the best case scenario loss right now. The whole team struggled and the whole team needed this. The upcoming home stand should be good for them.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I can’t say I’m glad with the result but this team has for years (and through multiple regimes) had a habit of feeding into themselves a little too much. 

I think it was clear they thought they would just roll right through Gabbert.

(11-27-2017, 06:39 PM)knarnn Wrote:

They gave up on the run because it was terrible. Fournette looked bad and the OL couldn't get even an inch of push.

I'm going to get skewered for this, but I was a little happy for Gabbert after this game. The dysfunction in this organization when he played here made for the absolute worst place for an aspiring first round pick QB to end up (well, maybe except Cleveland). He endured untold criticisms and hardships for faults that weren't entirely of his own making. I have no doubt he derived a good amount of satisfaction from this win and I was glad to see him allay, somewhat, an old vexation.

(11-27-2017, 09:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm going to get skewered for this, but I was a little happy for Gabbert after this game. The dysfunction in this organization when he played here made for the absolute worst place for an aspiring first round pick QB to end up (well, maybe except Cleveland). He endured untold criticisms and hardships for faults that weren't entirely of his own making. I have no doubt he derived a good amount of satisfaction from this win and I was glad to see him allay, somewhat, an old vexation.

I wasn't happy at all but I agree he got a little bit of a raw deal here in the same way that maybe Mularkey did as a coach. They weren't given any tools to succeed and they didn't and got fired because of it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Great post as always man. As much as I hate us losing, I agree we needed a kick back down to Earth. We almost sounded cocky at times and haven’t shown what’s needed to truly win in the playoffs. Hopefully this loss helps them get on track for the end game!
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

They needed this loss. Everyone needed to refocus. The defense, run game, Bortles and the coaches. They got fat and happy and they got reminded that you gotta show up every week. I expect them to get back to business against the colts

Side note: their picture of Instagram was very telling. The team didn’t travel in dress suits this week. Everyone was in sweat suits and tennis shoes. As simple as this is it sets a mentality for “this is a business trip”. Hopefully the team starts to understand why the discipline is their and why it’s needed to be great

(11-27-2017, 11:45 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: They needed this loss. Everyone needed to refocus. The defense, run game, Bortles and the coaches. They got fat and happy and they got reminded that you gotta show up every week. I expect them to get back to business against the colts

Side note: their picture of Instagram was very telling. The team didn’t travel in dress suits this week. Everyone was in sweat suits and tennis shoes. As simple as this is it sets a mentality for “this is a business trip”. Hopefully the team starts to understand why the discipline is their and why it’s needed to be great

Agreed completely, as well as with the OP.

I found myself thinking the same thing as the OP, pretty soon after the game ended. The entire team needs to get back on track. A big division game this weekend and then a game vs the Seahawks next week. The Seahawks game should be a very tough out. 

Then another division game vs the texans. These next 3 weeks are going to be really important.

Bortles isn't good, but he's good enough to be decent behind a good OL. Our OL was pretty good prior to the injuries. Hopefully, we can get Parnell and Omameh back soon. Marrone said he was optimistic that they would practice this week, so there's hope for improvement there at least.

I suppose looking at the positive, it can be a benefit to lose for a young team with the confidence they have. It may make them fight harder now.

(11-28-2017, 01:20 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Bortles isn't good, but he's good enough to be decent behind a good OL. Our OL was pretty good prior to the injuries. Hopefully, we can get Parnell and Omameh back soon. Marrone said he was optimistic that they would practice this week, so there's hope for improvement there at least.

I suppose looking at the positive, it can be a benefit to lose for a young team with the confidence they have. It may make them fight harder now.

This is pretty much how I feel. Maybe we can get Hurns back at some point too.

It hurts to lose but we still have the pieces, we just need to get them healthy. Also, from some of the player comments, they didn't take the Gabbert led Cardinals seriously and paid for it.

Agree along with the others. We were very sloppy against Arizona and the first half was very poor. I get we are having a great season and our D is fantastic but we aren't there yet, we still have to play well in all 3 areas to get a W. It's tough to get to the playoffs but we have won recently in spite of mistakes (Bortles 2 picks in the last 2 mins against San Diego) and not playing well (Cleveland). You can get away with the odd game thanks to this D but you'll get caught out eventually.

What I like this season is this is all new territory for this team, how do we respond? Champions come out of an L with fire, are we that team yet? Do we start panicking and forcing plays and making mistakes? 

I have a lot of faith in these guys and I do think the years of defeat have given them that extra motivation when we are playing well.

I don't think this us losing changes how the season plays out. We're clearly relying on our defense this season and will only go as far as they take us. Biggest thing for us down the stretch will be getting healthy offensively, so we can have at least some semblance of a team that can actually score points in the event our defense doesn't play lights out.

No matter how this season plays out, I bet we'll look back at it pretty damn satisfied. Making the playoffs is way beyond the highest of expectations. I just hope we're not that one team that just had a fluke year like we see in the NFL too often

I agree knarnn that this could be a "healthy" loss, something we needed to bring some players/staff back to reality. It's just disappointing as this 3 game stretch against struggling teams (Browns-Cardinals-Colts) should have given us a bit of cushion before the final push.

Listening to Marrone post-game he clearly realized they didn't gameplan well for this gamel and that Arians & co. did a better job preparing the game (and managing it) I hope this loss will be useful for us to reset a bit and correct some issues, Olinemen getting healthy again should make a difference.

Compared to where we were this time last year, we’ve won the season already.

Think some fans needed it just as much or more than the team.