Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A much needed wake up call

(11-28-2017, 09:32 AM)Kane Wrote: Think some fans needed it just as much or more than the team.
This may be the most true thing you have ever posted lol

SB? #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs? Best defense of all time?

These are all things that COULD happen but some spoke as if they were already true. This team has a huge game against a struggling Colts team this week. The Colts will want to avenge their 27-0 blowout so they may come out with some fire. They also may come out extremely flat after losing a close game to the Titans. Either way, I expect the run game to get back on track if Omameh and Parnell come back. I expect the defense so play out of their minds this week. They're mad. They're mad they let Blaine Gabbert beat them and how the national media is basically discrediting everything they have done to this point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

please stop saying the p word people. this team is a long long way from makeing it there. they ned to beat the colts. if they get 10 wins,then we can say the p word. but not at 7 wins. its possbille team could lose out,and go 7-9. not many teams make it in like that. they could still end up at 8-8. please stop saying the p word until there is 8 wins unless your doing a jim mora impression.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I think the team and coaches knew they'd have a tough go of it offensively with the make-shift O-Line in Arizona. I don't think anyone was awakened there.

If anyone should be getting a wake up call from the game it's Todd Wash. I get that sitting back in zone gives your defenders a chance to jump routes on Gabbert (and it nearly happened twice) but when it's not working you HAVE to adjust and play more man coverage. I was disappointed that they didn't do this. You can't keep waiting on a turnover to fix things while your opponent keeps moving down the field drive after drive.
Here's hoping this is a discussion that has taken place at EverBank already this week.

(11-28-2017, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think the team and coaches knew they'd have a tough go of it offensively with the make-shift O-Line in Arizona. I don't think anyone was awakened there.

If anyone should be getting a wake up call from the game it's Todd Wash.  I get that sitting back in zone gives your defenders a chance to jump routes on Gabbert (and it nearly happened twice) but when it's not working you HAVE to adjust and play more man coverage. I was disappointed that they didn't do this. You can't keep waiting on a turnover to fix things while your opponent keeps moving down the field drive after drive.
Here's hoping this is a discussion that has taken place at EverBank already this week.
I understand what you're saying but the defense allowed 1 scoring drive of 51 yards (FG) and 1 of 72 (long TD on blown coverage). All the rest were 50 yards or less. They were put in some terrible field position battles and still held them to FGs. The offense couldn't do anything at all which led to those short fields for Arizona.

It's the offense. It has been all season and will continue to be. They don't even have to have long scoring drives. Just don't go 3 and out from the 25 and give the other team great field position.

(11-28-2017, 12:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think the team and coaches knew they'd have a tough go of it offensively with the make-shift O-Line in Arizona. I don't think anyone was awakened there.

If anyone should be getting a wake up call from the game it's Todd Wash.  I get that sitting back in zone gives your defenders a chance to jump routes on Gabbert (and it nearly happened twice) but when it's not working you HAVE to adjust and play more man coverage. I was disappointed that they didn't do this. You can't keep waiting on a turnover to fix things while your opponent keeps moving down the field drive after drive.
I understand what you're saying but the defense allowed 1 scoring drive of 51 yards (FG) and 1 of 72 (long TD on blown coverage). All the rest were 50 yards or less. They were put in some terrible field position battles and still held them to FGs. The offense couldn't do anything at all which led to those short fields for Arizona.

It's the offense. It has been all season and will continue to be. They don't even have to have long scoring drives. Just don't go 3 and out from the 25 and give the other team great field position.
Indeed.

STs coverage wasn't great either. Nort had a couple bad punts, and when he nailed a really good one, they'd get a 15 yard return and kinda negate it a bit.

Unfortunately it was one of those games where everything wasn't perfect around Bortles... and so he had to try to do what he is incapable of, winning it himself and while he was making a few plays with his legs... he's a dang QB... and needs to make em with his arm.

The defense didn't have their best game... but man... I am hard pressed to put too much on them. They got pressure, limited AP to <100 rushing (only hit over 100 as a team because of Gabs escaping the rush),  they forced turnovers, they got a score and only allowed 2 TDs both of which were broken coverages which are fluky type plays...
I mean... most teams would love that kind of output from their defense.

(11-28-2017, 12:14 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I understand what you're saying but the defense allowed 1 scoring drive of 51 yards (FG) and 1 of 72 (long TD on blown coverage). All the rest were 50 yards or less. They were put in some terrible field position battles and still held them to FGs. The offense couldn't do anything at all which led to those short fields for Arizona.

Indeed.

STs coverage wasn't great either. Nort had a couple bad punts, and when he nailed a really good one, they'd get a 15 yard return and kinda negate it a bit.

Unfortunately it was one of those games where everything wasn't perfect around Bortles... and so he had to try to do what he is incapable of, winning it himself and while he was making a few plays with his legs... he's a dang QB... and needs to make em with his arm.

The defense didn't have their best game... but man... I am hard pressed to put too much on them. They got pressure, limited AP to <100 rushing (only hit over 100 as a team because of Gabs escaping the rush),  they forced turnovers, they got a score and only allowed 2 TDs both of which were broken coverages which are fluky type plays...
I mean did you see what Ramsey did to Fitz?! Shut. Him. Down.

The TE TD was the 1st play after Smith left the game. Shocker.

I wasn't trying to analyze what's wrong with the team. We know this. 

I was stating the one and only thing I saw from that one game that may have been a "wake up call."  
(The topic of this thread.) I think that Wash should come away from Ariz with a wake up call about how much zone he calls in one game. That's all I'm saying here. 

We are all keenly aware the offense has under-produced in ~6 or 7 of the games this season. 
I knew (as did the coaches IMO) that they would struggle in Ariz. Therefore - befitting the thread topic - there was no wake up call involved there.

(11-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:14 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed.

Yeah... I mean... the only person that really did damage was Ricky Seals, a TE who lined up in the slot a lot from what I could tell.
And yeah his TD was on the play where they replaced Smith with a DE/LB type instead of Blair Brown for some reason.......
Shouldn't Jack have been on him though? Isn't that kinda why we drafted that kid? (So I put some of that broken play on the coaches)

And Jaron Brown was the other TD. His ONLY catch which came on a play where it looked like Church was lost and/or out of place. (Church kinda had a bad game overall but he's been beast this year so I ain't even gonna rag on him)

Other than those small samples, this D played lights out and forced the Cards to dink and dunk throughout the game. Gabberts YPA was 6.3 (boosted by the 1 52 yard TD to Brown, without that one play his YPA would have been a turrible 4.9)

You act as if putting an oppositing team to FGs is good defense, wich is it isnt.

(11-28-2017, 12:25 PM)MariGOATa Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I understand what you're saying but the defense allowed 1 scoring drive of 51 yards (FG) and 1 of 72 (long TD on blown coverage). All the rest were 50 yards or less. They were put in some terrible field position battles and still held them to FGs. The offense couldn't do anything at all which led to those short fields for Arizona.

You act as if putting an oppositing team to FGs is good defense, wich is it isnt.
When they get the ball at the 45 or 50..... Yea. That is good defense.  But I'm not shocked you missed the point.

(11-28-2017, 12:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I wasn't trying to analyze what's wrong with the team. We know this. 

I was stating the one and only thing I saw from that one game that may have been a "wake up call."  
(The topic of this thread.) I think that Wash should come away from Ariz with a wake up call about how much zone he calls in one game. That's all I'm saying here. 

We are all keenly aware the offense has under-produced in ~7 of the games this season. 
I knew (as did the coaches IMO) that they would struggle in Ariz. Therefore - befitting the thread topic - there was no wake up call involved there.

I agree on your points about the zone scheme... we have two or three top tier CBs... man up and make Gabbert make a play. Any QB can find a hole in a zone when given time... And Gabbert can make time with his legs.

We have another similar matchup coming this weak. QB is not scary. WRs aren't anything super special. Man up and spy the mobile QB....

I think fans needed this wake up call. Especially those still thinking Bortles is the answer.
I think the players come ready every week. I think coaches game plan the best they can... So I'm not sure they needed any sort of wake up call...

(11-28-2017, 12:24 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean did you see what Ramsey did to Fitz?! Shut. Him. Down.

Yeah... I mean... the only person that really did damage was Ricky Seals, a TE who lined up in the slot a lot from what I could tell.

Other than those small samples, this D played lights out and forced the Cards to dink and dunk throughout the game. Gabberts YPA was 6.3 (boosted by the 1 52 yard TD to Brown, without that one play his YPA would have been a turrible 4.9)

The TE seam stuff, all of those underneath routes, and the dink and dunk are the kryptonite to this defensive scheme when in zone. It's always been that way. It's how the pats produced vs the seahawks and how every opponent with good coaching ripped up the Bradley era Jags if and when they were able to stop the run effectively. 

It pained me to see it again after I assumed Wash had moved beyond that stuff - especially with this group that is talented enough to defend the cardinals in more frequent man coverage. I felt like we were watching Philip Rivers carve up the Bradley era Jags : /

(11-28-2017, 12:25 PM)MariGOATa Wrote:

Its the NFL, where shut outs rarely happen.
Holding your opponent to FGs more often than TDs is good defense...

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 01:00 PM by knarnn.)

(11-28-2017, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wasn't trying to analyze what's wrong with the team. We know this. 

We are all keenly aware the offense has under-produced in ~7 of the games this season. 

I agree on your points about the zone scheme... we have two or three top tier CBs... man up and make Gabbert make a play. Any QB can find a hole in a zone when given time... And Gabbert can make time with his legs.

We have another similar matchup coming this weak. QB is not scary. WRs aren't anything super special. Man up and spy the mobile QB....

I think fans needed this wake up call. Especially those still thinking Bortles is the answer.
I think the players come ready every week. I think coaches game plan the best they can... So I'm not sure they needed any sort of wake up call...

I would recommend for you to go and listen to Bortles presser after the game. There were comments made by him that could be taken that he and his teammates did not take the Cards seriously.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote: I agree on your points about the zone scheme... we have two or three top tier CBs... man up and make Gabbert make a play. Any QB can find a hole in a zone when given time... And Gabbert can make time with his legs.

I would recommend for you to go and listen to Bortles presser after the game. There were comments made by him that could be taken that he and his teammates did not taking the Cards seriously.
Could be taken that way if you're looking to take them that way I suppose.

What NFL professional football player would ever be like "man...we thought we'd beat em easy so we didn't prepare for them to play so well"

C'mon man...
Now... did the coaches not game plan a certain way and so the players weren't prepared for a certain gameplan brought to them... perhaps... but they all practiced, went to meetings, watched tape... I doubt anyone was skating.

Especially considering they have been escaping with wins, not beating people up (outside of terrible teams like bengals and clots, and even then the offense was only putting up 20 something)
I think our offensive players just aren't that good. Top 2 WRs of a group that was lauded probably prematurely as "deep", hurt and out. 2 OL starters down and their backups just ain't that good (that's why they are backups) Lewis is a nice TE, especially as a block, but we need a play maker there. We don't have one. QB is a problem.....obviously.
I think drafting a RB at 4 overall was probably a mistake for a team still in need of.... well a QB for sure, and perhaps better OL skill and definitely better OL depth. Even when healthy a lot of LF yards come after contact, I think OL should have been bolstered better before spending a high pick on RB.

I'll go back and listen to the post game thing man... but I would find it odd that any player or coach would admit to taking an opponent lightly or something.

(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote: I agree on your points about the zone scheme... we have two or three top tier CBs... man up and make Gabbert make a play. Any QB can find a hole in a zone when given time... And Gabbert can make time with his legs.

I would recommend for you to go and listen to Bortles presser after the game. There were comments made by him that could be taken that he and his teammates did not take the Cards seriously.
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...587f81a9a5

This interview??

I'm not hearing it... where'd he say they didn't take the Cards seriously?

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM by MariGOATa.)

(11-28-2017, 01:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)knarnn Wrote: I would recommend for you to go and listen to Bortles presser after the game. There were comments made by him that could be taken that he and his teammates did not take the Cards seriously.
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...587f81a9a5

This interview??

He’s obviously making this up, even if they did they wouldnt admit it. Maybe the effort wasnt there because its the Arizona Cardinals but saying they openly admitted to not taking them serious is garbage.

(11-28-2017, 12:30 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:25 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: You act as if putting an oppositing team to FGs is good defense, wich is it isnt.

Its the NFL, where shut outs rarely happen.

I understand that. But making them kick 5 FGs isnt good defense no matter how you slice it. Especially for a defense that alot of people made out to seem historic.

(11-28-2017, 01:36 PM)MariGOATa Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 01:03 PM)Kane Wrote: http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...587f81a9a5

This interview??

He’s obviously making this up, even if they did they wouldnt admit it. Maybe the effort wasnt there because its the Arizona Cardinals but saying they openly admitted to not taking them serious is garbage.

(11-28-2017, 12:30 PM)Kane Wrote: Its the NFL, where shut outs rarely happen.

I understand that. But making them kick 5 FGs isnt good defense no matter how you slice it. Especially for a defense that alot of people made out to seem historic.
You don't watch the game so you have no context as to what's happening.

(11-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:14 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed.

IDK how it looked on TV, but in the stadium it looked like there was a ton of confusion throughout the pre-snap.  Didn't realize Smith had left just before that play, but was really disappointed someone didn't call timeout before the play.

(11-27-2017, 09:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm going to get skewered for this, but I was a little happy for Gabbert after this game. The dysfunction in this organization when he played here made for the absolute worst place for an aspiring first round pick QB to end up (well, maybe except Cleveland). He endured untold criticisms and hardships for faults that weren't entirely of his own making. I have no doubt he derived a good amount of satisfaction from this win and I was glad to see him allay, somewhat, an old vexation.

The same can be said for Borltes. I think his game suffered greatly with the Gus Bus. He looked so promising then.....not. It's like you could plainly see him digress in front of your eyes. He's much improved over last year but I'm not sure he'll have a chance to get even better here next season. I guess we'll see how patient Tom and Doug are.