Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: The bigger offensive issue to address?
QB
Offensive Line
[Show Results]

Bortles or the offensive line? The biggest issue to address this offseason??

(11-27-2017, 09:23 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The most important position in all of sports.....QB

False!! Dilfer won a super bowl, how many Stanley cups have made the rounds with
 terrible goaltending?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-27-2017, 09:12 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:07 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I'd settle for an accurate passer.

Agreed, but I'd settle for some receivers who can catch balls that hit them square in the hands as well.

I think we have those but to have the ball hit them in the hands the receivers are to frequently having to bend, contort or otherwise move unnaturally to get their hands on the ball. Other than Butterfingers Lee, most have shown the ability to catch the ball when it hits them in stride. We're really missing A-Rob and Hurns though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-27-2017, 09:47 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:12 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Agreed, but I'd settle for some receivers who can catch balls that hit them square in the hands as well.

I think we have those but to have the ball hit them in the hands the receivers are to frequently having to bend, contort or otherwise move unnaturally to get their hands on the ball. Other than Butterfingers Lee, most have shown the ability to catch the ball when it hits them in stride. We're really missing A-Rob and Hurns though.

NFL receivers are making crazy hard catches every single week. It's not all that common that guys are running free and have the ball dropped perfectly into their hands from 40 yards away.

Guys are consistently bending and contorting their bodies to make catches for their QBs. I see guys make diving catches, one handed catches etc etc. multiple times every week. I could count on one hand how many one handed, or diving catches I've seen our receivers make this season.

Sometimes when your QB is struggling, it's up to the receiver to help him out. They need to go up and make a damn play once in awhile. Our receivers never seem to make a play for the QB.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017, 10:04 PM by wg171.)

Not voting...my answer is both!

Adding a WR, TE and probably a CB wouldn't hurt either

(11-27-2017, 09:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:47 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I think we have those but to have the ball hit them in the hands the receivers are to frequently having to bend, contort or otherwise move unnaturally to get their hands on the ball. Other than Butterfingers Lee, most have shown the ability to catch the ball when it hits them in stride. We're really missing A-Rob and Hurns though.

NFL receivers are making crazy hard catches every single week. It's not all that common that guys are running free and have the ball dropped perfectly into their hands from 40 yards away.

Guys are consistently bending and contorting their bodies to make catches for their QBs. I see guys make diving catches, one handed catches etc etc. multiple times every week. I could count on one hand how many one handed, or diving catches I've seen our receivers make this season.

Sometimes when your QB is struggling, it's up to the receiver to help him out. They need to go up and make a damn play once in awhile. Our receivers never seem to make a play for the QB.

Our receivers actually do make some terrific catches.  Having to do that once in a while (as you say) is the operative term here. The best QB's make their receivers better.

(11-27-2017, 10:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote: NFL receivers are making crazy hard catches every single week. It's not all that common that guys are running free and have the ball dropped perfectly into their hands from 40 yards away.

Our receivers actually do make some terrific catches.  Having to do that once in a while (as you say) is the operative term here. The best QB's make their receivers better.

The best QBs are few and far between. We need to stop using all time great QBs as the standard because they aren't the norm. The best QBs do make everybody around them better, no matter what. The problem is there's only about 6 of them in the league.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone aside from SpaceCoastJag would say anything other than QB. The line has played well as a whole this season and the only reason they're not playing like they were earlier is due to injuries. Bortles has been at best a game manager this season. You can't expect long term success without a franchise QB and Blake clearly isn't one.

People have stockholm syndrome with Bortles at this point.

(11-27-2017, 10:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 10:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Our receivers actually do make some terrific catches.  Having to do that once in a while (as you say) is the operative term here. The best QB's make their receivers better.

The best QBs are few and far between. We need to stop using all time great QBs as the standard because they aren't the norm. The best QBs do make everybody around them better, no matter what. The problem is there's only about 6 of them in the league.

The best of the best, true. I'd update what I said before to say that "good" quarterbacks make their receiver's better by having the ability to hit their receivers in optimum spots. I'd say that Bortles is in the lower 3rd of the starters in that sense.

Offensive line is the bigger issue in my opinion

I would have to vote "quarterback." I give Blake credit for his toughness/durability, but he has too many flaws to take this team to the next level. By next level, I mean legitimate Super Bowl contenders. The offensive line has been very poor the last couple of weeks, but much of that was due to injuries to Parnell and Omameh, especially Parnell. The Jaguars definitely need to upgrade the line during the off-season due to a lack of quality depth- especially at tackle. They could draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds who could provide this upgrade. Of course, if they decide to go the free agent or trade route for a quarterback then they might even go offensive line in the first round. I'd love Nelson from Notre Dame, but he'll be gone by the time the Jaguars pick. Fortunately, this team has very few needs compared to the past several seasons. Quarterback, tight end, offensive line and nickel are the greatest needs by far. Once Robinson returns, the wide receiver position will be fine.

Who ever votes oline has no football sense.

Oline is very important but not every good QBs has a luxury playing with top tackles or guards. A QB is suppose to help the oline too..and vice versa.

Lawl at these poll results. Bias is a hell of a drug.

I wish it had worked out with Bortles but it gets to a point where you can't ignore what your eyes are seeing. The guy tries, he's the perfect build for a QB but I look at other QB's around the league, and I'm not talking Brady or Rodgers, and the difference is huge. McCown has done a nice job at the Jets, Gabbert looked better Sunday.

The guy looks like he has no real confidence in his throwing ability and for year 4, he hasn't progressed much.

The problem is who do you replace him with? A rookie who may need a season or 2, make a run at an experienced guy Rivers, Alex Smith, Cousins?

I'm not sure how highly Coughlin and co rate Blake but I think they only go for someone they see as an improvement. Just how good is that?

How is this poll even close? How many alt accounts does SpaceCoastJag have?!?

(11-27-2017, 09:46 PM)atburg Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:23 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The most important position in all of sports.....QB

False!! Dilfer won a super bowl, how many Stanley cups have made the rounds with
 terrible goaltending?

Trent Dilfer won the SB 17 years ago. This is a QB driven league. Just look at previous teams who made the SBs. Were all top 10 QBs besides the historic 2015 Broncos defense with Manning.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 05:35 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

Regardless of how the line has played these last few weeks, Blake has had time all year and was kept clean a good portion of this season, and his numbers are still pretty bad. QB is the biggest and most important piece to an offense in modern football. I don't care how much you want to run the football, you need a competent QB to make a few plays per game. That seems to be too much to ask for our top 5 pick Blake Bortles. A good QB will mask makeshift O line play, and our o line, when healthy, is far from makeshift. I say QB.

(11-28-2017, 03:20 AM)MariGOATa Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:46 PM)atburg Wrote: False!! Dilfer won a super bowl, how many Stanley cups have made the rounds with
 terrible goaltending?

Trent Dilfer won the SB 17 years ago. This is a QB driven league. Just look at previous teams who made the SBs. Were all top 10 QBs besides the historic 2015 Broncos defense with Manning.

And lets be honest, Manning was still very smart with the football. He lost his arm, sure, but he still had the football IQ and he knew where he wanted to go.

QB and is not even close.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 07:28 AM by myrick31.)

DEN
10 198 331 59.8 2,249 6.80 9 75 17 1 43.9 67.9

That is one of the wrost statlines in NFL history Peyton put up in 2015 he was not even close to as good as Bortles.

(11-27-2017, 08:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Wont matter who the QB is, if the receivers don't catch the football. Plain and simple.

I'm sure we'll pick up another QB this off season, via FA or the Draft, but I watched Bortles drop at least 3-4 deep balls yesterday, that hit his WRs square in the hands and they flat out dropped it.

+1  

Bortles has his issues but dang it when he drops a perfect ball on a deep route can someone please catch it!  Receivers have one job, CATCH THE DAMN BALL!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.