Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: The bigger offensive issue to address?
QB
Offensive Line
[Show Results]

Bortles or the offensive line? The biggest issue to address this offseason??

There's no reason we have to choose between QB and O-line. We are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

I'd go after a proven QB in free agency because this team is built to win now and we don't have time to find out if a rookie QB is going to be any good. The problem I see with Bortles is, teams are lining up in a goal line defense when we're first and ten on our own twenty yard line. A QB has to burn them bad for that. 8 men in the box? We have to go over the top on that defense.

As for the offensive line, I would always spend at least one pick in the first 4 rounds on an offensive lineman- every draft I would do that. You have to have a pipeline of them coming through the system. For next season, given our team needs, I would try to make one fit in the first 2 rounds.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-28-2017, 07:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's no reason we have to choose between QB and O-line.  We are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.  

I'd go after a proven QB in free agency because this team is built to win now and we don't have time to find out if a rookie QB is going to be any good.  The problem I see with Bortles is, teams are lining up in a goal line defense when we're first and ten on our own twenty yard line.  A QB has to burn them bad for that.  8 men in the box?  We have to go over the top on that defense.  

As for the offensive line, I would always spend at least one pick in the first 4 rounds on an offensive lineman- every draft I would do that.  You have to have a pipeline of them coming through the system.  For next season, given our team needs, I would try to make one fit in the first 2 rounds.

The protection on those plays is quite suspect, then the WRs cant beat single coverage, and on the odd play they do he throws a Bortles or the receiver clangs the ball off the hands. The whole passing game is a mess, mostly because of injury. What they clearly don't have is enough depth or enough stating talent to overcome that lack of depth. They need more good players everywhere.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 08:24 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

(11-27-2017, 07:45 PM)rufftime Wrote: Definitely the QB.  The problem of course is finding a good QB is hard.  

Probably look at best TE/ OL/ QB at our pick in round 1.  Or trade up for a QB we really want.

Cousins or Taylor and B done with it.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Trade up for Lamar Jackson and let Bortles start if he beats him out.

both

Hard to say. I think many QBs would struggle behind our oline. However, in good coverage, I've seen Bortles make terrible decisions and throws. Rarely are his passes on target. I think we need a QB that can make basic throws and build the line around him.
Here we go again

The offensive line isn't an issue when healthy. The QB is.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Parnell and Omameh will be back... and while we could add some depth and strength especially at the interior... QB is was and will remain this teams biggest lynchpin

A great QB can mask Oline problems because they can make adjustments at the line. If Cousins were the QB of this team, you would see a better Oline, running game, and more WRs making plays. The QB effects every thing and we have one who is not very good. If the Jags had Cousins, they would be 9-2 at minimum.

(11-28-2017, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: A great QB can mask Oline problems because they can make adjustments at the line. If Cousins were the QB of this team, you would see a better Oline, running game, and more WRs making plays. The QB effects every thing and we have one who is not very good. If the Jags had Cousins, they would be 9-2 at minimum.

Hell... even rookie QBs at least make plays by running away from pressure and just turning up field and getting some yards.

I kinda wish Bortles would revert to a one read and tuck and run QB.

(11-28-2017, 12:34 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: A great QB can mask Oline problems because they can make adjustments at the line. If Cousins were the QB of this team, you would see a better Oline, running game, and more WRs making plays. The QB effects every thing and we have one who is not very good. If the Jags had Cousins, they would be 9-2 at minimum.

Hell... even rookie QBs at least make plays by running away from pressure and just turning up field and getting some yards.

Didn't he rush for 62 yards and two touchdowns Sunday?

(11-28-2017, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:34 PM)Kane Wrote: Hell... even rookie QBs at least make plays by running away from pressure and just turning up field and getting some yards.

Didn't he rush for 62 yards and two touchdowns Sunday?

lol
Yeah... after essentially not playing the first half.

Also... I'm talking about consistent play, as opposed to outliers.

Like, Blake Bortles isn't good "But he threw for 300 and 3 TDs once!"
or I wish he would run more "But he had 62 yards and 2 TDs this game"

Perhaps they should work it into the actual game plan. Rely less on his arm and more on his legs.
Right now he avoids pressure and avoids sacks but he doesn't really make plays. And often, he actually makes mistakes or poor throws. Like the ol' Dr. J toss to Yeldon the other week.

I would much rather every game, Look for Lee crossing, look for cole deep, tuck and run for 3-6 yards.
Every. Play. Kinda like Colin Kaepernick's game used to be...

If it were me, I'd try and get Tyrod in the offseason. I think he's perfect for this team and what Coughlin/Marrone want to do. Very efficient, rarely turns the ball over.....can move the chains with his feet, if necessary. Then, I'd use the draft and free agency to find at least two starting-caliber OL, a pass-catching TE, and a developmental QB.

I don't think there's much value in arguing which is the bigger need to address, OL or QB.........they're both obviously 1a and 1b, interchangeably. In other words, they both must be addressed, without fail.

The Offensive line played pretty well early in the season, and was able to absorb some injuries. Recently, with both Parnell and Ommie out, not so much.

40% of the Starting O-line is out, and another 20% is playing at less than 100% recovered from Injury.

Bortles is just Bortles.

It's the QB.
PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

(11-28-2017, 12:16 PM)FBT Wrote: The offensive line isn't an issue when healthy.  The QB is.

And O-line always seems to be hurt.  Even though generally improved this year, it is too thin.

Sign a FA qb.  Draft O-line and backup/developmental qb.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Easily offensive line. When healthy, they are still terrible. Take out a few abnormally long outlier runs early on from Fournette and fake punts, etc, and you will see artificially inflated rushing stats. We need 3 new offensive linemen and Cam has been bad since his injury. Wide receiver needs addressed. We are dropping too many balls that are hitting receivers in the hands and not making very many plays on balls thrown off target. It's gotten to the point where I think Marqise Lee's goal has become more trying to draw PI down the sideline rather than catch the ball. I think he probably has more PI penalties accepted than actual vertical receptions. Blake, for the most part, hasn't been winning us games, but he isn't losing us the games either. No run game or reliable receiving targets is what's losing us games. If we move on to a new QB at the end of the season, we had better address those upgrades in a major way or you're just going to handicap the next quarterback and can expect similar results as Blake, done in a different way.

(11-28-2017, 03:19 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Easily offensive line.  When healthy, they are still terrible.  Take out a few abnormally long outlier runs early on from Fournette and fake punts, etc, and you will see artificially inflated rushing stats.  We need 3 new offensive linemen and Cam has been bad since his injury.  Wide receiver needs addressed.  We are dropping too many balls that are hitting receivers in the hands and not making very many plays on balls thrown off target.  It's gotten to the point where I think Marqise Lee's goal has become more trying to draw PI down the sideline rather than catch the ball.  I think he probably has more PI penalties accepted than actual vertical receptions.  Blake, for the most part, hasn't been winning us games, but he isn't losing us the games either.  No run game or reliable receiving targets is what's losing us games.  If we move on to a new QB at the end of the season, we had better address those upgrades in a major way or you're just going to handicap the next quarterback and can expect similar results as Blake, done in a different way.

I wonder why WRs are dropping balls? Could it be Bortles terrible throws? Or could it be the oline? Smh lol

(11-28-2017, 07:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's no reason we have to choose between QB and O-line.  We are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.  

I'd go after a proven QB in free agency because this team is built to win now and we don't have time to find out if a rookie QB is going to be any good.  The problem I see with Bortles is, teams are lining up in a goal line defense when we're first and ten on our own twenty yard line.  A QB has to burn them bad for that.  8 men in the box?  We have to go over the top on that defense.  

As for the offensive line, I would always spend at least one pick in the first 4 rounds on an offensive lineman- every draft I would do that.  You have to have a pipeline of them coming through the system.  For next season, given our team needs, I would try to make one fit in the first 2 rounds.

Slight nitpick, but I disagree that the team is built to win now - if what you mean is that this kind of winning is not sustainable in the future. Caldwell's actually done a very good job of assembling young talent, particularly on the defense. I think the core of young players, like Ramsey, Telvin, Bouye is there. 

We do need a QB though.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 08:28 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(11-27-2017, 09:03 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 08:40 PM)PF* Wrote: Interesting question. I tend to agree with the above b/c I wonder if we have a competent QB evaluator. DC brought us BBINT so his ability in this area is suspect. I always thought that almost anyone could play behind a strong OL but watching BB5 has shaken that belief. A non-flashy guy who takes care of the ball is fine by me.
We do his name is Tom Coughlin. 

The man acquired Rob Johnson, Mark Brunel, David  Garrad, Kurt Warner and Eli Manning. I have no doubt he will be the guy picking the next qb on this team

There were rumors that Tom didn't like Blake Bortles before signing with the team.

(11-27-2017, 09:36 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Honestly, I think it's a  combination of QB, OL and WR. The loss of Arob and Hurns have hurt. Opponent's DBs just don't respect Lee and the rookies to make a play. Look at all the drops. I have to give BB credit.....he's tough. Most other QBs would have gone on IR a long time ago with this injured OL. Cam hasn't been the same since his injury. So to assigh fault is hard. I'd say with the current starters, it's 40% OL, 30% QB, and 30%WR. If Parnell comes back, that probably changes.

Lee stinks.  He's an athlete but has butter hands.  I hope to see him replaced next offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minu...nching-Eli

Bortles couldn't make most of those throws.  Just saying.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The Jaguars should probably take atleast 2 and maybe even 3 offensive linemen in their first four picks.  Tom Coughlin knows football and will no doubt be going after big uglies.  He picked his LT here in Jax who still maybe the best ever Jaguar at their position.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]