Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just How Bad is Blake Bortles?

Old article but alot of informative stuff here Care to ellaborate.

I made a statement on the latest Keep Choppin’ Wood episode that Blaine Gabbert was playing better than Blake Bortles right now. The notion stemmed from a discussion Michael Lombardi and Bill Simmons recently had on the two on Simmons’ podcast.

The fact that we can even have a comparison between the two is highly disappointing. However, it’s not completely unfounded. Here’s a video from 2012 with current Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Greg Olsen. Olsen served as the Quarterback coach under the previous regime (Mike Mularkey’s sole season in Jacksonville). After the entire staff was fired, he went to Oakland and ran the offense in Derek Carr’s rookie year, then returned to Jacksonville as Jedd Fisch’s replacement on Gus Bradley’s staff. That’s a really convoluted way of saying that he’s worked directly with both Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles.

[font=Roboto,]Theres a  video begins with Olson explaining their Out-Skinny Post concept, a Hi-Low against the Hook-to-Curl defender. The idea is to get his shoulders to turn and open with the Out, opening a window to hit the Skinny Post behind him.[/font]

[Image: Post-Out-300x170.png]
[font=Roboto,]This is a very basic concept that every single NFL team runs in every single NFL game. It’s versatile and can be successful against a number of different coverages, provided the Post runner keeps inside leverage on the corner and the quarterback places the ball into the window with the proper trajectory. If you watched the video, you saw Blaine complete this route combo a number of different times. Heres Blake Bortles on the same read[/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]What should be an easy pitch-and-catch where Hurns can protect himself turns into a hospital ball. Hurns has to stop, jump in the air and contort his body which allows the safety to close and hit him in mid-air.  [/font][/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][Image: Screen-Shot-2016-09-27-at-10.12.44-PM-300x156.png][/font][/font]
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]Not ideal.

On the very next play, they run the same concept. Baltimore runs Cover-2 instead of Cover-3, but it’s the same read – just with slightly different timing and trajectory on the ball.[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

As you can see, the window opens and closes a lot quicker here. The ball comes out late and behind the receiver, leading to another potential hospital ball (I’m fine with the low trajectory howver, because it gives the wide receiver an opportunity to protect himself in a really congested area.)These are two opportunities where the offense gets a good look and a man open (albeit, in tight windows) where the quarterback busts the play. They proceeded to punt. Again, this is a really basic concept that every NFL quarterback has to be able to make. Blaine Gabbert routinely made this play.Inaccuracy doesn’t show up on the stat sheet as much more than an incomplete pass, but what’s missing from the box score is yardage that a team leaves on the field. Here’s another example:
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][Image: Blake-Post-Cross-300x171.png][/font][/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]It’s 3rd and 8 in the first quarter with the game at 0-0, and the Jaguars call up for a Post-Deep Cross Hi-Lo of the deep safety. This Hi-Lo is another that will work against multiple coverages, man or zone, with the objectives being having the Post runner maintain inside leverage on the corner and to get the safety on that side (or in the middle of the field if it is a single-high coverage, as what ends up being the case here) to open his hips with the Deep Cross. As soon as the safeties hips open, the ball needs to be on it’s way over the top.[/font][/font][/font]

The ball comes out on time, but instead of leading the wide receiver into the middle of the field for an easy touchdown, he leads him back outside towards the cornerback. This is what I brought up in the podcast about the quarterback making a bad wide receiver look bad. Marqise Lee struggles adjusting to the ball in the air and making contested caches, and what should have been an easy touchdown leads to a drop and a punt because Bortles made him do exactly that. These plays show how a quarterback struggling with timing and accuracy can completely break an offense. The scary thing is that aren’t Bortles’ worst plays – I wouldn’t even put these in his bottom five for the Ravens game. All of his turnovers this season have been downright reprehensible, and the sacks he took in crunch time against Baltimore were the worst outcomes you could possibly have on those plays. He’s struggling seeing the field clearly, cannot throw accurately, and is showing poor situational awareness. He is arguably playing like the worst quarterback in the NFL, and the rest of the season should essentially be viewed as an extended tryout.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-27-2017, 08:07 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: Old article but alot of informative stuff here Care to ellaborate.

I made a statement on the latest Keep Choppin’ Wood episode that Blaine Gabbert was playing better than Blake Bortles right now. The notion stemmed from a discussion Michael Lombardi and Bill Simmons recently had on the two on Simmons’ podcast.

The fact that we can even have a comparison between the two is highly disappointing. However, it’s not completely unfounded. Here’s a video from 2012 with current Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Greg Olsen. Olsen served as the Quarterback coach under the previous regime (Mike Mularkey’s sole season in Jacksonville). After the entire staff was fired, he went to Oakland and ran the offense in Derek Carr’s rookie year, then returned to Jacksonville as Jedd Fisch’s replacement on Gus Bradley’s staff. That’s a really convoluted way of saying that he’s worked directly with both Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles.

[font=Roboto,]Theres a  video begins with Olson explaining their Out-Skinny Post concept, a Hi-Low against the Hook-to-Curl defender. The idea is to get his shoulders to turn and open with the Out, opening a window to hit the Skinny Post behind him.[/font]

[Image: Post-Out-300x170.png]
[font=Roboto,]This is a very basic concept that every single NFL team runs in every single NFL game. It’s versatile and can be successful against a number of different coverages, provided the Post runner keeps inside leverage on the corner and the quarterback places the ball into the window with the proper trajectory. If you watched the video, you saw Blaine complete this route combo a number of different times. Heres Blake Bortles on the same read[/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]What should be an easy pitch-and-catch where Hurns can protect himself turns into a hospital ball. Hurns has to stop, jump in the air and contort his body which allows the safety to close and hit him in mid-air.  [/font][/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][Image: Screen-Shot-2016-09-27-at-10.12.44-PM-300x156.png][/font][/font]
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]Not ideal.

On the very next play, they run the same concept. Baltimore runs Cover-2 instead of Cover-3, but it’s the same read – just with slightly different timing and trajectory on the ball.[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

As you can see, the window opens and closes a lot quicker here. The ball comes out late and behind the receiver, leading to another potential hospital ball (I’m fine with the low trajectory howver, because it gives the wide receiver an opportunity to protect himself in a really congested area.)These are two opportunities where the offense gets a good look and a man open (albeit, in tight windows) where the quarterback busts the play. They proceeded to punt. Again, this is a really basic concept that every NFL quarterback has to be able to make. Blaine Gabbert routinely made this play.Inaccuracy doesn’t show up on the stat sheet as much more than an incomplete pass, but what’s missing from the box score is yardage that a team leaves on the field. Here’s another example:
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][Image: Blake-Post-Cross-300x171.png][/font][/font]

[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]It’s 3rd and 8 in the first quarter with the game at 0-0, and the Jaguars call up for a Post-Deep Cross Hi-Lo of the deep safety. This Hi-Lo is another that will work against multiple coverages, man or zone, with the objectives being having the Post runner maintain inside leverage on the corner and to get the safety on that side (or in the middle of the field if it is a single-high coverage, as what ends up being the case here) to open his hips with the Deep Cross. As soon as the safeties hips open, the ball needs to be on it’s way over the top.[/font][/font][/font]

The ball comes out on time, but instead of leading the wide receiver into the middle of the field for an easy touchdown, he leads him back outside towards the cornerback. This is what I brought up in the podcast about the quarterback making a bad wide receiver look bad. Marqise Lee struggles adjusting to the ball in the air and making contested caches, and what should have been an easy touchdown leads to a drop and a punt because Bortles made him do exactly that. These plays show how a quarterback struggling with timing and accuracy can completely break an offense. The scary thing is that aren’t Bortles’ worst plays – I wouldn’t even put these in his bottom five for the Ravens game. All of his turnovers this season have been downright reprehensible, and the sacks he took in crunch time against Baltimore were the worst outcomes you could possibly have on those plays. He’s struggling seeing the field clearly, cannot throw accurately, and is showing poor situational awareness. He is arguably playing like the worst quarterback in the NFL, and the rest of the season should essentially be viewed as an extended tryout.

You value a Boston Celtic Basketball writer's opinion on a football subject? ok... Videos from 2012? You are making a comparison with videos from 2012? Dont forget Jags Fans were screaming from the rooftops to start Blaine and Blake as rookies. This franchise ruined them before they had a chance. Plus our amazing GM drafted a left handed QB who for some odd reason throws righty and both admit Bortles is not a natural thrower of a football. But you expect him to lead the reciever like if he was Tom freaking Brady? 

Marquise Lee struggles. You said it all right there. The fact that Blake can even make decent passes that are totally in a catch-able radius is unreal. Maybe give the guy some slack instead of expecting something he's not. Focus on other areas that could realistically be improved right now. Like how about not letting Blaine Gabbert sit all nice and comfy behind his beat up o-line and send some pressure before the 4th quarter. How nice it must be to basically sit there and watch all that talent on defense basically do all the work without adding anything to the table. Looking at you Gus Bradl....I mean Todd Wash.
Go Jags!

Mods already disposed of your brother's trolling thread saying the same thing, hopefully yours ends up in the same place. But I give Blaine credit, at his current pace he will have more touchdowns than Mariota sometime in the third quarter of his third start.

I’m not really sure what your goal is here. 

Neither are good. In fact Gabbert threw more interceptable passes than Bortles did. 100% do not wish we still had him in any way.

(11-27-2017, 08:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I’m not really sure what your goal is here. 

Neither are good. In fact Gabbert threw more interceptable passes than Bortles did. 100% do not wish we still had him in any way.

Yup, Gabbert very easily could of had 4 INTS out there yesterday.

He's almost as bad as Mariota

Just how bad is he? Well, he’s thrown for more TDs and more less InTs than Mariota so if he’s bad, then i guess Mariota is complete garbage.

He's better than your QB this year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I think he is better than Blake but they are both top 20 and deserve to start somewhere.

old article is old

I'm actually somewhat taken aback by the responses to this thread.

To me, it shows exactly what I, and many others (including NFL Analysts) have been saying about Blake. He throws a bad ball, and puts in locations that force WRs to make difficult catches instead of placing the pass in the proper spot, i.e. throwing the WR open.

There have been countless passes where the WR was open, had a step on his man, and Blake throws the ball back into coverage, forcing the WR to adjust and attempt what amounts to a circus catch, with the defender on top of him. Had the ball been thrown in front of the WR, it's an easy catch and potential for YAC.

Marquise Lee hasn't done himself many favors on his own, but most of the INTs that came on passes to him were thrown behind him, or into the coverage, as opposed to the open side of the coverage, etc.

The deep shot to Cole this week should have been an easy catch for a huge gain, if not 6 points. He had both inside leverage AND a step on his man. Bortles simply had to put the ball in front of him and allow him to make the easy catch. Instead, the ball was thrown behind him, to the point where the DB was now between Cole and the ball, and was able to successfully break up the pass.

No. I do not expect Blake to be Brady. I do, however, expect the Jaguars Starting QB to be an NFL Caliber Quarterback and Passer.

The tape doesn't lie. Blake is neither of these things.

Why was 2015 so much better? Because Allen Robinson is an absolute monster who is capable of winning those tough contested catches. MOST NFL WRs do not have his ability to do so.

He doesn't read defenses well, doens't make adjustments pre-snap when blitz is shown, doesn't throw into the blitz, doesn't have accuracy short, medium OR long...

What exactly is it that continues to cause people to defend him? I mean... seriously? Yes, he's our QB for this year. There's no better option this year. However, we simply can not walk into next season w/ him at the helm and even pretend like we are trying to fix the situation.

The book is out on Bortles, and it's a complete flop.

Thankfully, our Defense is a best seller.
PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

(11-28-2017, 01:10 PM)Diz Wrote: I'm actually somewhat taken aback by the responses to this thread.

To me, it shows exactly what I, and many others (including NFL Analysts) have been saying about Blake.  He throws a bad ball, and puts in locations that force WRs to make difficult catches instead of placing the pass in the proper spot, i.e. throwing the WR open.

There have been countless passes where the WR was open, had a step on his man, and Blake throws the ball back into coverage, forcing the WR to adjust and attempt what amounts to a circus catch, with the defender on top of him.  Had the ball been thrown in front of the WR, it's an easy catch and potential for YAC.

Marquise Lee hasn't done himself many favors on his own, but most of the INTs that came on passes to him were thrown behind him, or into the coverage, as opposed to the open side of the coverage, etc.  

The deep shot to Cole this week should have been an easy catch for a huge gain, if not 6 points.  He had both inside leverage AND a step on his man.  Bortles simply had to put the ball in front of him and allow him to make the easy catch.  Instead, the ball was thrown behind him, to the point where the DB was now between Cole and the ball, and was able to successfully break up the pass.

No.  I do not expect Blake to be Brady.  I do, however, expect the Jaguars Starting QB to be an NFL Caliber Quarterback and Passer.

The tape doesn't lie.  Blake is neither of these things.

Why was 2015 so much better?  Because Allen Robinson is an absolute monster who is capable of winning those tough contested catches.  MOST NFL WRs do not have his ability to do so.

He doesn't read defenses well, doens't make adjustments pre-snap when blitz is shown, doesn't throw into the blitz, doesn't have accuracy short, medium OR long...

What exactly is it that continues to cause people to defend him?  I mean... seriously?  Yes, he's our QB for this year.  There's no better option this year.  However, we simply can not walk into next season w/ him at the helm and even pretend like we are trying to fix the situation.

#Preach

#StillBetterThanMsMary

I still think Bortles is hurt. And it will last until he's out of the league. You don't throw for 4400 and almost 40 and then fall off a cliff like that.

I'm serious when I say, I can throw a tighter spiral than Bortles. He's injured still.

I don't need graphics and special analysis to see that Bortles is still garbage. He just got out played by Blaine Gabbert. Here comes the end of the year skid... Jags will lose this week also. 30-13
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Go figure. A tack fan trying to troll us over something that is about as obvious as water being wet. We know Bortles sucks. We don't need old articles to confirm this.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Bortles is gone. But as a Jags fan, I hope Mariota stays with the Tacks a long, long time.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

We know who Bortles is. We know if he's here next year it will only be as a placeholder until the rookie is ready. The most annoying thing on this board right now are the Bortrolls that come to defend him against and deflect any and all warranted criticism. However, what's the point of creating more anti-Bortles threads this late into the season knowing nothing is going to change? We know he sucks as a passer, but he's likable enough, has his moments and is clearly giving it his all. The playoffs aren't guaranteed next year. Just get behind him and the team this year and enjoy the ride, which has been long overdue, and hope for the best. He isn't in this or any other team's long term plans and everyone knows it, even the few trolls. They're just trying to get a rise out of the rest of us, because let's face it, no one without a serious mental disorder could really be that deficient. And MariGOATa is a tacks fan, so what do you expect?

(11-28-2017, 01:14 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I still think Bortles is hurt. And it will last until he's out of the league. You don't throw for 4400 and almost 40 and then fall off a cliff like that.

I'm serious when I say, I can throw a tighter spiral than Bortles. He's injured still.

He's not injured , he's just a bad QB.

(11-28-2017, 01:10 PM)Diz Wrote: I'm actually somewhat taken aback by the responses to this thread.

To me, it shows exactly what I, and many others (including NFL Analysts) have been saying about Blake.  He throws a bad ball, and puts in locations that force WRs to make difficult catches instead of placing the pass in the proper spot, i.e. throwing the WR open.

There have been countless passes where the WR was open, had a step on his man, and Blake throws the ball back into coverage, forcing the WR to adjust and attempt what amounts to a circus catch, with the defender on top of him.  Had the ball been thrown in front of the WR, it's an easy catch and potential for YAC.

The deep shot to Cole this week should have been an easy catch for a huge gain, if not 6 points.  He had both inside leverage AND a step on his man.  Bortles simply had to put the ball in front of him and allow him to make the easy catch.  Instead, the ball was thrown behind him, to the point where the DB was now between Cole and the ball, and was able to successfully break up the pass.

No.  I do not expect Blake to be Brady.  I do, however, expect the Jaguars Starting QB to be an NFL Caliber Quarterback and Passer.

The tape doesn't lie.  Blake is neither of these things.

Why was 2015 so much better?  Because Allen Robinson is an absolute monster who is capable of winning those tough contested catches.  MOST NFL WRs do not have his ability to do so.

What exactly is it that continues to cause people to defend him?  I mean... seriously?  Yes, he's our QB for this year.  There's no better option this year.  However, we simply can not walk into next season w/ him at the helm and even pretend like we are trying to fix the situation.

While I agree with nearly everything you said, I think the responses you’re seeing have a lot to do with the OPs lame troll attempt.