Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How High Has the Bar Been Raised?

It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

It was then no surprise that Jaguars fans expected, at most, modest improvement from the team this year when Marrone was named head coach.   Immediate, worst to first transformations are not exactly common, and have not been a part of our history.  That is, perhaps, until now.    After eleven games this year, the Jaguars find themselves at 7-4 and tied for first place in the division (actually sit at second due to the week 2 loss vs. Tennessee) and firmly in playoff contention headed into a three game home stretch against two divisional foes they dominated earlier in the year, sandwiched around a Seattle team with a depleted secondary.

Now headed into this year, many would have been thrilled with an improvement from two to three wins a year to seven.  The incremental improvement most expected to see but didn't under Bradley would have been realized.   Yet I don't think it a stretch to say that the entirety of the Jaguars fan base would be disappointed if the Jaguars finished the 2017 season with "only" seven wins.

So in that context, what is the minimum win total the team must meet to avoid 2017 being a disappointment?  For the purposes of this discussion, let's avoid the Super Bowl or bust standard.  We all want to win the big game, but I'm just talking about regular season wins and post season appearance, if possible.

To me, even though finally reaching .500 would be notable when compared to the losing that preceded it, that would be not enough.  I think a ten win season would be the minimum win total to avoid this season being a disappointment.   The remaining five games, including the aforementioned three game home stretch, are all winnable.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect the Jaguars to win at least three of the remaining five.  I think ten wins minimally should be good enough to get us into the post season, especially considering two current contenders for the 6th seed, the Chargers and Ravens, both lost to us head to head.  If we finish with the same record, we will get in before either of them.  The Ravens have one more loss than we have right now, and still have tough games left against Detroit and Pittsburgh.  The Chargers have two more losses than we have, and still have games against Washington and KC.

What are your minimal win expectations?  Why?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think 9-7 or 10-6 is adequate
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

At this point they need to get to ten wins for me to consider the year a success. 9-7 would mean ending the year 2-4 which would be quite the dive considering the competition. Even 3-3 against the remaining schedule wouldn't be great, but considering the expectations at the start of the season it would leave us well above the initial ones.

(11-29-2017, 11:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

It was then no surprise that Jaguars fans expected, at most, modest improvement from the team this year when Marrone was named head coach.   Immediate, worst to first transformations are not exactly common, and have not been a part of our history.  That is, perhaps, until now.    After eleven games this year, the Jaguars find themselves at 7-4 and tied for first place in the division (actually sit at second due to the week 2 loss vs. Tennessee) and firmly in playoff contention headed into a three game home stretch against two divisional foes they dominated earlier in the year, sandwiched around a Seattle team with a depleted secondary.

Now headed into this year, many would have been thrilled with an improvement from two to three wins a year to seven.  The incremental improvement most expected to see but didn't under Bradley would have been realized.   Yet I don't think it a stretch to say that the entirety of the Jaguars fan base would be disappointed if the Jaguars finished the 2017 season with "only" seven wins.

So in that context, what is the minimum win total the team must meet to avoid 2017 being a disappointment?  For the purposes of this discussion, let's avoid the Super Bowl or bust standard.  We all want to win the big game, but I'm just talking about regular season wins and post season appearance, if possible.

To me, even though finally reaching .500 would be notable when compared to the losing that preceded it, that would be not enough.  I think a ten win season would be the minimum win total to avoid this season being a disappointment.   The remaining five games, including the aforementioned three game home stretch, are all winnable.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect the Jaguars to win at least three of the remaining five.  I think ten wins minimally should be good enough to get us into the post season, especially considering two current contenders for the 6th seed, the Chargers and Ravens, both lost to us head to head.  If we finish with the same record, we will get in before either of them.  The Ravens have one more loss than we have right now, and still have tough games left against Detroit and Pittsburgh.  The Chargers have two more losses than we have, and still have games against Washington and KC.

I agree; 10-6 is probably the readjusted expectation of the majority of the fan base, based on how the team has done so far and the level of competition in the division.  However, I think we finish 9-7.

Colts - W (Colts play hard, but wont be able to score enough to win)
Seahawks - L  (defense wont stop Wilson enough to win, and offense wont score enough points to keep up)
Texans - W (Savage is worse than Bortles)
49ers - L (Garrafalo scores enough points to win, and our offense sputters)
Titans - L (close, but Bortles chokes with the division title on the line)
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

It was 8/8 for me before the season began.

Seeing what this defense is capable of while also considering the injuries to several offensive starters, I think it's pretty fair to expect 10 wins in 2017. (especially if we get some O-Line starters back)

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-29-2017, 11:42 AM)SuperJville Wrote: I think 9-7 or 10-6 is adequate

So if the team finished 2-3 down the stretch and missed the playoffs at 9-7, you'd still be okay with that?

Why?

(11-29-2017, 11:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: At this point they need to get to ten wins for me to consider the year a success. 9-7 would mean ending the year 2-4 which would be quite the dive considering the competition. Even 3-3 against the remaining schedule wouldn't be great, but considering the expectations at the start of the season it would leave us well above the initial ones.

A guess a question for me would be what if the team finished 10-6 and somehow missed the playoffs?

How would you feel about the season then?

I think we should win the next 4 out of 5. The only one I think we'll struggle with is Tennessee.
Here we go again

(11-29-2017, 11:50 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 11:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

I agree; 10-6 is probably the readjusted expectation of the majority of the fan base, based on how the team has done so far and the level of competition in the division.  However, I think we finish 9-7.

Colts - W (Colts play hard, but wont be able to score enough to win)
Seahawks - L  (defense wont stop Wilson enough to win, and offense wont score enough points to keep up)
Texans - W (Savage is worse than Bortles)
49ers - L (Garrafalo scores enough points to win, and our offense sputters)
Titans - L (close, but Bortles chokes with the division title on the line)

I think Wilson is an excellent QB, but barring injury, I think we match up quite well with Seattle's offense and should have success.

But why do you think Garoppolo has so much success against us?

Prior to the season 6-10 7-9 was my expectation. After 11 games at 7-4 10-6 is now my expectation with a wild card birth.

To me the perspective is the key. We all knew the defense would be good but not this good. With that said remember this is year 1 with this regime and defense. Not year 4 or 5. I think this defense has a few more levels to reach. The chemistry is even to the level of a seattle or steelers level. These guys are just getting started. With that said a 9-7 would be less than my new expectations but would still make me happy even if they missed the playoffs because this was supposed to be a year for evaluation not a deep playoff run.

With such an anemic offense every game from here on out could be a hold your breath and hope for the best kind of game.

I think it's reasonable to expect the jags to go 3-2 over the final five games as a worse case scenario - losing to the Seahawks and Titans. But would it shock anyone if they won those two games and lost to the Texans and 49ers?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I think going into the week 17 showdown in nashville, the Jags will be 10-5 and the Titans 9-6. AFC South Championship game, flexed to sunday night. It will be glorious.

(11-29-2017, 12:49 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: With such an anemic offense every game from here on out could be a hold your breath and hope for the best kind of game.

I think it's reasonable to expect the jags to go 3-2 over the final five games as a worse case scenario - losing to the Seahawks and Titans. But would it shock anyone if they won those two games and lost to the  Texans and 49ers?

(Emphasis added)

Yes it would shock me to see the team lose to both Houston and SF.

before the season i was expecting 5-11 they have passed that. I'm thinking 9-7 is likey with loses to 49ers,and tittians to end season. Have to beat the colts first though this week.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: I think going into the week 17 showdown in nashville, the Jags will be 10-5 and the Titans 9-6. AFC South Championship game, flexed to sunday night. It will be glorious.

I think it will be a very good game.

With Dareus, we are better equipped to play against your running game than we were in week 2, but our offensive struggles of late concern me.

Right now, I'll be content winning this Sunday.

(11-29-2017, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: I think going into the week 17 showdown in nashville, the Jags will be 10-5 and the Titans 9-6. AFC South Championship game, flexed to sunday night. It will be glorious.

I think it will be a very good game.

With Dareus, we are better equipped to play against your running game than we were in week 2, but our offensive struggles of late concern me.

Right now, I'll be content winning this Sunday.

The Titans offense for most the season concerns me. It's like they are playing uphill most the time. I do think they get going here though. Mularkey will listen to my advice to give henry more carries and use play action much much more. I just hope the Titans AND the Jags win enough games so the loser in Nashville still gets the wildcard.

Winning the division is a success. Getting to wildcard is a push. Missing the playoffs is failure.

Anything less than 10 wins is a failure, IMO.

Jags are going to be favored in 4 of the last 5 games. Colts and Texans are division games but the Jags matchup extremely well and they will be playing at home. Seahawks game will be tough because Wilson can extend plays but they aren't the Seahawks of old. The 49ers have 1 win. The Titans game will be a toss up.

If they get to 10-5 going to into the Titans game, I'll be pleased.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Just make the playoffs thats a success we havent been there in too long
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

IIRC before the season started I was thinking 8-8.
Surely after we seemed to have some things clicking 10 or 11 seemed very real.

Here recently we might be coolin off on thinking more than 10 wins.
But I think 10 is a reasonable bar. Probably one and done in the playoffs. But at this point in the franchise I'd feel pretty good about a 10 win season with a playoff appearance.

The bar will be so high next season, pending the QB situation.

At this point the bar has been raised and it’s playoffs or bust. In fact if we don’t win the division it will be a disappointment. This division has been pure trash for years now, and while the Tacks have improved, frankly it would be infuriating if we miss our chance to take advantage of a weak division once again; the difference this time is we have a strong enough team. You could make excuses for 2015 and 2016, but the opportunities were there as well. Goofy Gus just blew them is all.