Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(01-07-2018, 09:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Play action on first down works for Blake and yet we still want to run.

Stop being predictable.

Its almost always the same thing on the very first play of the game, when Fournette is playing (and it almost always sums up the rest of the game for us on Offense). Our very first Offensive snap, the defense shows 8-9 guys in the box and we still try to run it. Fournette straight up the middle, into Linder's back for a 1 yard game..

I swear, every single time we start our first Offensive drive like this, we struggle something terrible on Offense all game long. It's like clock work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018, 10:29 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

We finally pulled a guard and faked a jet sweep to Westbrook and pitched it to Fournette on the weak side and got 16 yards easily. When we run the ball we don't even try to do it well. It's just the most pedestrian play calling. We don't throw eye candy at the defense or give them anything to think about. It's just here we come 1 on 1 up the middle. Our offense has been terrible with Fournette. He isn't a bad player but I don't think we can feature the offense around him with how unbalanced we are. If you replay every single game we've had with Fournette starting the offense is the same lethargic pathetic mess. You orient it around Bortles with some scripted throws early and get comfortable and in a rhythm he goes off for almost 350 yards and 3 TD's. NOPE... give it to Fournette some more and pray the defense wins the game. Why win the game 38-3 when you can almost lose. We can do a lot better.
No pain, no gain.

Also he was VERY lucky on probably 3 dropped INTs. I know every QB has the, but those were particularly bad. Especially the one Dede had to break up.

As much as Bortles struggled today, after all things were said and done, he was probably the MVP.

Thats the thing about good WRs, if your QB makes a bad tgrow you do everything you can to.make sure the other team can't get it. Props to Westbrook on that play. I gurantee dez bryant just lets him intercept if he was the WR.
Jags 4 Life

(01-08-2018, 03:35 AM)Predator Wrote: As much as Bortles struggled today, after all things were said and done, he was probably the MVP.

Every single player on defense would get that honor for me before bortles. 

Again, to echo what a lot of others have said, bortles is mentally and physically a tough player. He wants to win. I appreciate what he's doing and where he could take us, but we all know what his ceiling is and there is plenty of room for improvement at the QB position.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(01-07-2018, 09:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I know yall gonna bash me on this. But all you complain about BB has never actually won the game. he has never put the team on his back and willed the team to a win. The defense was expected to keep Buff. from scoring but the offense needed to score. And besides the idiot coaching and lack of a running game and difficult passing game. Blake Bortles Threw the offense on his back and ran his way into winning this game, he willed that drive for the FG and he came out and willed the second drive in the good wind direction to score the TD. Yall can say he sucks and he cant throw but no matter how good the Defense played we would not have won this game without BB willing this offense by taking the ball in his own hands and scoring the points we needed to let the defense to hold them. Its only an opinion so bash away.

CONSIDER  YOURSELF  BASHED!

(01-08-2018, 12:10 AM)JNev Wrote: Also he was VERY lucky on probably 3 dropped INTs. I know every QB has the, but those were particularly bad. Especially the one Dede had to break up.

I will agree with you on 2 of the INTs.  Lee has been out for weeks and there was miscommunication on the Lee throw.  Bortles put it on spot (one of the few) for an inside break.  Lee was releasing deep on the play.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-07-2018, 09:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I know yall gonna bash me on this. But all you complain about BB has never actually won the game. he has never put the team on his back and willed the team to a win. The defense was expected to keep Buff. from scoring but the offense needed to score. And besides the idiot coaching and lack of a running game and difficult passing game. Blake Bortles Threw the offense on his back and ran his way into winning this game, he willed that drive for the FG and he came out and willed the second drive in the good wind direction to score the TD. Yall can say he sucks and he cant throw but no matter how good the Defense played we would not have won this game without BB willing this offense by taking the ball in his own hands and scoring the points we needed to let the defense to hold them. Its only an opinion so bash away.

He made 3 or 4 nice plays running for first downs and he made a nice pass to Koyack in the endzone. 
Outside of that he did several of the things that caused this thread to exist in the first place. 

While Blake was a big part of the drive that gave us just enough points, a better QB has the Jags winning this one by a healthier margin without having to rely on the defense forcing turnovers to pull it of. The offense's struggles weren't all on Blake however.

I'm going to try to find time to break down Bortles play and Hackett's play calling tomorrow when the all22 angles are up on NFL gamepass.  But I know a number of drives stalled due to bad third down passes by Blake.
 - First - the one thrown to LF split wide that was thrown too near the LB underneath and batted. (Lewis was open down the seam on that one) 

- Then the second drive he made an inaccurate throw to Westbrook on a crossing route.  He was looking at Hurns first - but checked off of him when he didn't come open quickly. So he made a quick pass to Westbrook under a bit of pressure. Can't really blame him too badly on that one I guess, but Hurns popped open the second Blake turned 
away.  Westbrook's position didn't give Blake a clear lane so the pass was off. 

- Then there was the screen to Ivory thrown 4 yards left of the RB for some reason. While it looked like Ivory had 8 or so easy yards there - no guarantee he breaks a tackle for the first down. Still a really ugly pass attempt. 

- Next drive they tried a comeback route to Westbrook that DeDe had to play defense against.  Lee on the opposite side was being played with more cushion by a lesser defender. 

- On the next drive, Bortles gets a short field after the defense holds and the bills kick a short punt. Blake makes two good runs to set up the field goal, but also missed a wide open Marqise Lee over the middle in between those runs. Cann was beat on the play though, so Blake felt some pressure. 

- The next third down stop was kind of a weak play-call from Hackett calling a WR screen on 3rd and 7. It was just defended well and stopped short. 

- The next drive had a nice mix of play-calling good execution and a good scramble from the Qb and ended up in the Koyack TD. 

Would have been nice not to see all of those punts prior to scoring on 4th and goal with seconds left in the third quarter, and they'll have to fix that next week, but it was just barely enough on Sunday.

(01-08-2018, 07:15 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 03:35 AM)Predator Wrote: As much as Bortles struggled today, after all things were said and done, he was probably the MVP.

Every single player on defense would get that honor for me before bortles. 

Again, to echo what a lot of others have said, bortles is mentally and physically a tough player. He wants to win. I appreciate what he's doing and where he could take us, but we all know what his ceiling is and there is plenty of room for improvement at the QB position.

LOL half of the dimwits on this board WANTED Tyrod Taylor over Bortles the past 2 seasons. The guy played in the SAME wind Bortles did and completed 17 of 37 passes for a 45 QB rating AND Tyrod is an extremely accurate QB because he throws dinks and dunks........ The wind was a major factor.

Bortles is not the answer. If we had a QB like a Jimmy G or a Alex Smith, this team goes to the super bowl. Bortles was missing some of the easiest throws possible. I just hope the front office is smart enough to upgrade in the off-season.

(01-08-2018, 11:21 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Bortles is not the answer. If we had a QB like a Jimmy G or a Alex Smith, this team goes to the super bowl. Bortles was missing some of the easiest throws possible. I just hope the front office is smart enough to upgrade in the off-season.

Why do you just disappear and then suddenly reappear to post only negatives?  Seriously...I'm just curious.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-08-2018, 11:28 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 11:21 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Bortles is not the answer. If we had a QB like a Jimmy G or a Alex Smith, this team goes to the super bowl. Bortles was missing some of the easiest throws possible. I just hope the front office is smart enough to upgrade in the off-season.

Why do you just disappear and then suddenly reappear to post only negatives?  Seriously...I'm just curious.

It's what he does.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM by Kane.)

lol

Ramsey would get my vote

(01-08-2018, 11:20 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 07:15 AM)Achilles Wrote: Every single player on defense would get that honor for me before bortles. 

LOL half of the dimwits on this board WANTED Tyrod Taylor over Bortles the past 2 seasons. The guy played in the SAME wind Bortles did and completed 17 of 37 passes for a 45 QB rating AND Tyrod is an extremely accurate QB because he throws dinks and dunks........ The wind was a major factor.

I came here just to find your excuse for Bortles poor play.
Wind...

So we have
WRs are no good
WRs are good but drop the ball
OL is no good
OL is good but run game still sucks
Play calling
Sand bagging
Defense wasn't perfect
STs wasn't perfect
AND 
Wind.

Did I miss anything?

(01-08-2018, 04:18 AM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: Thats the thing about good WRs, if your QB makes a bad tgrow you do everything you can to.make sure the other team can't get it. Props to Westbrook on that play. I gurantee dez bryant just lets him intercept if he was the WR.

Dez Bryant would have already been half way off the field yelling and throwing stuff

(01-08-2018, 11:20 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 07:15 AM)Achilles Wrote: Every single player on defense would get that honor for me before bortles. 

I wonder what Bortles numbers would have been if he was facing the number 1 pass defense in the NFL instead if the 20th.....
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(01-08-2018, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 09:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I know yall gonna bash me on this. But all you complain about BB has never actually won the game. he has never put the team on his back and willed the team to a win....

He made 3 or 4 nice plays running for first downs and he made a nice pass to Koyack in the endzone. 
Outside of that he did several of the things that caused this thread to exist in the first place. 

While Blake was a big part of the drive that gave us just enough points, a better QB has the Jags winning this one by a healthier margin without having to rely on the defense forcing turnovers to pull it of. The offense's struggles weren't all on Blake however.

I'm going to try to find time to break down Bortles play and Hackett's play calling tomorrow when the all22 angles are up on NFL gamepass.  But I know a number of drives stalled due to bad third down passes by Blake.
 - First - the one thrown to LF split wide that was thrown too near the LB underneath and batted. (Lewis was open down the seam on that one) 

- Then the second drive he made an inaccurate throw to Westbrook on a crossing route.  He was looking at Hurns first - but checked off of him when he didn't come open quickly. So he made a quick pass to Westbrook under a bit of pressure. Can't really blame him too badly on that one I guess, but Hurns popped open the second Blake turned 

- Then there was the screen to Ivory thrown 4 yards left of the RB for some reason. While it looked like Ivory had 8 or so easy yards there - no guarantee he breaks a tackle for the first down. Still a really ugly pass attempt. 

- Next drive they tried a comeback route to Westbrook that DeDe had to play defense against.  Lee on the opposite side was being played with more cushion by a lesser defender. 

- On the next drive, Bortles gets a short field after the defense holds and the bills kick a short punt. Blake makes two good runs to set up the field goal, but also missed a wide open Marqise Lee over the middle in between those runs. Cann was beat on the play though, so Blake felt some pressure. 

- The next third down stop was kind of a weak play-call from Hackett calling a WR screen on 3rd and 7. It was just defended well and stopped short. 

- The next drive had a nice mix of play-calling good execution and a good scramble from the Qb and ended up in the Koyack TD. 

Would have been nice not to see all of those punts prior to scoring on 4th and goal with seconds left in the third quarter, and they'll have to fix that next week, but it was just barely enough on Sunday.

Oh - I forgot about the badly botched 2nd down swing pass to Bohanon and the poor pass to Hurns that would have extended a drive also. 

I mean - there's zero excuse for not hitting Hurns in the numbers right here:

[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-08-2018, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: He made 3 or 4 nice plays running for first downs and he made a nice pass to Koyack in the endzone. 

Oh - I forgot about the badly botched 2nd down swing pass to Bohanon and the poor pass to Hurns that would have extended a drive also. 

Some of the ugliest QB play I’ve ever seen. Ugh
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(01-08-2018, 12:37 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Oh - I forgot about the badly botched 2nd down swing pass to Bohanon and the poor pass to Hurns that would have extended a drive also. 

Some of the ugliest QB play I’ve ever seen. Ugh

I forgot to mention that the off-target screen to Ivory was a major screw-up as the play was well designed and wisely called. 
We had just gotten the ball on buffalo's side of the field via turnover and if Ivory had gained positive yards but come up short we'd have likely been in field goal range.  Instead - we're punting from the 38. (55 yard FG)  Right on outer the edge of Lambo's range. 

That ball, if well placed, could have worked whether Ivory went outside of cut back inside with it. Omameh is about to pick up the only defender by the sideline, and inside is wide open.

You can tell Blake expected Ivory to keep running towards the sideline and not stop.

(01-08-2018, 02:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 12:37 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Some of the ugliest QB play I’ve ever seen. Ugh

I forgot to mention that the off-target screen to Ivory was a major screw-up as the play was well designed and wisely called. 
We had just gotten the ball on buffalo's side of the field via turnover and if Ivory had gained positive yards but come up short we'd have likely been in field goal range.  Instead - we're punting from the 38. (55 yard FG)  Right on outer the edge of Lambo's range. 

That ball, if well placed, could have worked whether Ivory went outside of cut back inside with it. Omameh is about to pick up the only defender by the sideline, and inside is wide open.

Why was Ivory in front of his blockers anyway? Seems like he should’ve been closer to where the ball was thrown. It still falls on Bortles, but I wonder if he threw it where he expected him to go instead of just standing there.