Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(12-04-2017, 05:32 AM)UKJag Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 09:11 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I can't believe anybody would judge a QB this way. Wearing plays on the left arm can help QBs call more than one play in the huddle, run a two-minute drill, or avoid miscommunication in very loud stadiums. Sometimes a QB wants to call a play he did not hear in his headset. The arm band can help him do that. And it is not just for young QBs. Older veterans also wear a play list, including Alex Smith and Drew Brees.

Every what?

Wow, patronising much? I'd love to know how the QB reading from an armband prevents miscommunication in loud stadiums. Whether the OC calls the full play name or the reference to the play on the armband the stadium is still loud and either can be misunderstood. The armband is worn because the QB in question needs the help to remember the plays nothing more!

I think you'll find 5 is capable of calling more than one play in the huddle without an armband, that's why you'll hear him say "KILL KILL" to change the play at the line. He's called two plays in the huddle and will run the first if he gets the look he wants and the second if not. 

I agree with JAGFAN88 that 5 has the intellegence to learn the play book and not have to have prompts on his arm.

I was just trying to explain wearing plays on the left arm does not mean a QB is less intelligent or still learning the playbook.

I never heard Blake Bortles say "KILL KILL!" I can hear him yelling behind the center, but have no idea what he is saying.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was a big Bortles fan, even had hope he would turn it around this year. But when you let GABERT beat you, you need to go. He is not, NOT reliable and I would not put the Jags franchise in his hands after this year. Trade up, get a QB...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 04:26 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-04-2017, 04:14 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 05:32 AM)UKJag Wrote: Wow, patronising much? I'd love to know how the QB reading from an armband prevents miscommunication in loud stadiums. Whether the OC calls the full play name or the reference to the play on the armband the stadium is still loud and either can be misunderstood. The armband is worn because the QB in question needs the help to remember the plays nothing more!

I think you'll find 5 is capable of calling more than one play in the huddle without an armband, that's why you'll hear him say "KILL KILL" to change the play at the line. He's called two plays in the huddle and will run the first if he gets the look he wants and the second if not. 

I agree with JAGFAN88 that 5 has the intellegence to learn the play book and not have to have prompts on his arm.

I was just trying to explain wearing plays on the left arm does not mean a QB is less intelligent or still learning the playbook.

I never heard Blake Bortles say "KILL KILL!" I can hear him yelling behind the center, but have no idea what he is saying.

He said it multiple times at Indy. 

Actually on a side note, I believe Linder snapped the ball accidentally on one play, I think right before the Cole TD. Blake yelled "kill kill" and then the ball was snapped. Parnell didn't move, and Bortles looked rushed from the snap.

(12-04-2017, 04:21 PM)Ronster Wrote: I was a big Bortles fan, even had hope he would turn it around this year. But when you let GABERT beat you, you need to go. He is not, NOT reliable and I would not put the Jags franchise in his hands after this year. Trade up, get a QB...

I didn't realize Bortles was the one who let Gabbert throw for 2 tds
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 04:14 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 05:32 AM)UKJag Wrote: Wow, patronising much? I'd love to know how the QB reading from an armband prevents miscommunication in loud stadiums. Whether the OC calls the full play name or the reference to the play on the armband the stadium is still loud and either can be misunderstood. The armband is worn because the QB in question needs the help to remember the plays nothing more!

Didn't you say the Jags had 7 losses earlier?

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(12-04-2017, 09:36 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 12:01 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: He has only been missing Allen Hurns for two weeks.

Nonsense. Blake Bortles was not the main culprit for any of our seven losses this season.

7 losses? And you call yourself a Jags fan.

Blake would have single handily lost us the Chargers game had the defense not bailed him out. He was terrible against the Jets and Titans. He was useless against the Steelers. He threw an atrocious interception last week against the Cardinals. 

Good Blake shows up, Jags are almost unbeatable. Bad Blake shows up and the defense has to scored TDs for the team to win. The Jags won't be playing the Colts or any defense like that in the playoffs.

Thanks for catching that mistake Cleatwood. I know we have only lost four games, but was thinking ahead to the end of the season.

In Pittsburgh, Leonard Fournette was on fire and the defense scored twice, so Doug Marrone had no reason to call more than 14 passes. Blake Bortles was just playing the game manager role, not making mistakes. What more do you want him to do when #27 is statistically having a good day?

Against the Jets, you can't blame Bortles for Marqise Lee dropping a ball when he could not have been more wide open in OT or Jason Myers missing a FG in regulation. Yes, it was bad for Bortles, but anyone who watched that game would say it was all Lee's fault.

It had been so pleasant in here...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-04-2017, 04:21 PM)Ronster Wrote: I was a big Bortles fan, even had hope he would turn it around this year. But when you let GABERT beat you, you need to go. He is not, NOT reliable and I would not put the Jags franchise in his hands after this year. Trade up, get a QB...

This makes no sense. You do know that Bortles plays on offense right?

I listen to a lot of history podcasts and it always bewilders me as to how Dan Carlin or whoever else always mentions about how the historians rarely agree on how the facts went down. Then I get on here and see how people can't even agree on the facts from a game 8 days ago and it all makes sense.

(12-04-2017, 04:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 04:14 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I was just trying to explain wearing plays on the left arm does not mean a QB is less intelligent or still learning the playbook.

He said it multiple times at Indy. 

Actually on a side note, I believe Linder snapped the ball accidentally on one play, I think right before the Cole TD. Blake yelled "kill kill" and then the ball was snapped. Parnell didn't move, and Bortles looked rushed from the snap.

Yeah I noticed that as well, he seemed rushed and made a quick handoff to Fournette for no gain/loss of a yard.  Also, I believe it was the first time Fournette appeared to tweak his ankle as he hobbled off a bit after the play.

(12-04-2017, 06:05 PM)empty Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 04:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: He said it multiple times at Indy. 

Yeah I noticed that as well, he seemed rushed and made a quick handoff to Fournette for no gain/loss of a yard.  Also, I believe it was the first time Fournette appeared to tweak his ankle as he hobbled off a bit after the play.

That's the one. Definitely seemed like a busted play.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

He’s still developing and I hope he gets better. With that said his play can possibly keep a veteran from coming in but a qb will still be drafted in the first two round next year. Not drafting someone would be a disservice to this franchise and fans base

(12-04-2017, 07:29 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: He’s still developing and I hope he gets better. With that said his play can possibly keep a veteran from coming in but a qb will still be drafted in the first two round next year. Not drafting someone would be a disservice to this franchise and fans base

Well of course. We definitely should draft someone. Worst case we have a trade able commodity, but if Bortles sticks around, which at this point he will, we do need some fresh blood behind him.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 07:29 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: He’s still developing and I hope he gets better. With that said his play can possibly keep a veteran from coming in but a qb will still be drafted in the first two round next year. Not drafting someone would be a disservice to this franchise and fans base

I can see the team drafting a QB this next off-season.  I just don't see the team trading up to get one.

As I said before, I also don't see the team just cutting Bortles.  I would almost guarantee that every other team would consider offering him a contract of some kind... even if it was for a backup position.  Put it this way, the Jaguars were able to trade Blaine Gabbert and look at him now.  At this point in his young career Blake Bortles is the same type of QB.  The thing is, the team has had success this season with him as the starter.

Will he ever be a "franchise" QB?  Who knows?  I do know this though, his career is far from over.

If I had to guess, I would bet that Chad Henne ends up retiring and a new QB is drafted this next off-season to develop.  Blake Bortles will get some kind of contract to remain as the starter.

The only caveat that I see in this situation is that there is a lot of speculation regarding Eli Manning.  Would he really be an upgrade over Bortles?  Who knows?  Is he really going to be available?  Again, who really knows?  And at what cost?

I'm by no means a Blake Bortles homer, but looking at the situation realistically, I don't see the team making a drastic change.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

^^ This!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-04-2017, 09:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I can see the team drafting a QB this next off-season.  I just don't see the team trading up to get one.

As I said before, I also don't see the team just cutting Bortles.  I would almost guarantee that every other team would consider offering him a contract of some kind... even if it was for a backup position.  Put it this way, the Jaguars were able to trade Blaine Gabbert and look at him now.  At this point in his young career Blake Bortles is the same type of QB.  The thing is, the team has had success this season with him as the starter.

Will he ever be a "franchise" QB?  Who knows?  I do know this though, his career is far from over.

If I had to guess, I would bet that Chad Henne ends up retiring and a new QB is drafted this next off-season to develop.  Blake Bortles will get some kind of contract to remain as the starter.

The only caveat that I see in this situation is that there is a lot of speculation regarding Eli Manning.  Would he really be an upgrade over Bortles?  Who knows?  Is he really going to be available?  Again, who really knows?  And at what cost?

I'm by no means a Blake Bortles homer, but looking at the situation realistically, I don't see the team making a drastic change.
Blake at 20 million or Cousins for 25?

I’d like Cousins.

(12-04-2017, 10:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blake at 20 million or Cousins for 25?

I’d like Cousins.

Eli at 16 plz.

(12-04-2017, 10:25 PM)Upper Wrote:

I’d like Cousins.

Eli at 16 plz.

Have you watched the giants this year? His arm strength has declined a lot, and he never was very accurate. He doesn't get My zip on anything intermediate or deep. I've seen him throw a few handfuls of work burners this year. His age is catching up to him fast.

(12-04-2017, 10:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 09:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I can see the team drafting a QB this next off-season.  I just don't see the team trading up to get one.

Blake at 20 million or Cousins for 25?

I’d like Cousins.

Or you could restructure Blake and pay him 15. He'd be stupid not to take that. And Cousins is going to push 30 mil at this point.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 11:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

I’d like Cousins.

Or you could restructure Blake and pay him 15. He'd be stupid not to take that. And Cousins is going to push 30 mil at this point.

I bet we can get away with less than $15 million for Bortles. Maybe $10 to $13 million. That would double his current salary, and it'd put him around the QBs that match his skill level. I think even Bortles knows he isn't worth a huge contract. It's so hard to guess since they've thrown a lot of money at certain QBs that aren't worth a damn, but that's usually a team trying to lock up the next sure thing. We already know what we have in Bortles. I'm guessing a 3-year, $40 million contract so that we can develop a new QB.

$30 million would put Cousins $3 million ahead of Stafford. I'm hoping for $25 million, releasing Bortles and Dareus.

Why are we set on Bortles being the guy to man the fort next year? He's a below average QB.

If the plan is to draft a QB next year and sit him, well there are better caretakers QBs we can pursue. Ones who can give us a better chance of winning. No need to punt another year we could be competing away.