Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins or Blake Bortles

Well, who do we think is the better QB?

To those who say Bortles I'd like you to tell me what Blake does better as a QB apart from run the ball?

(@Atburg)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well I think obviously Cousins is the better QB.

If we're talking what to do for our franchise as in pay Cousins $30mil or pay Blake under $20 and draft someone like Baker, well that's a much harder decision.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-06-2017, 10:45 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Well I think obviously Cousins is the better QB.

If we're talking what to do for our franchise as in pay Cousins $30mil or pay Blake under $20 and draft someone like Baker, well that's a much harder decision.

Not for me. Cousins although better than Bortles, is still a slightly above average QB. Do you really wanna pay a fortune to a QB who is likely outside of the top 10 QB's in the NFL, knowing that it will likely cause a domino effect where we'll have to cut loose some of our defensive stars in order to stay under the salary cap? I say no. I'd much rather sign a decent free agent QB to a short term $12-14 million deal and draft our QB of the future. That way we can upgrade the QB position and keep our defense prime.

(12-06-2017, 10:45 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Well I think obviously Cousins is the better QB.

Where does the 30 mil come from?  So you think he will be the highest paid QB in history by a large margin?  Stafford just signed the richest at 27 per year.  I think Cousins gets 24- 25 mil a year and I would much rather pay him that than Bortles 19.

(12-06-2017, 11:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Where does the 30 mil come from?  So you think he will be the highest paid QB in history by a large margin?  Stafford just signed the richest at 27 per year.  I think Cousins gets 24- 25 mil a year and I would much rather pay him that than Bortles 19.

The same reason why players keep getting higher priced contracts every single year. The salary cap keeps going up and there's a new contract that sets the market every year. Stafford's new contract just set the  QB market. Why would they even bother asking for anything less than $27m a year now? That's what the market is now set at and he's easily the top QB FA that'll be on the market.

$25m per year is still overpay for Cousins imo, yet somebody will easily pay it. I just hope it isn't us.

(12-06-2017, 11:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where does the 30 mil come from?  So you think he will be the highest paid QB in history by a large margin?  Stafford just signed the richest at 27 per year.  I think Cousins gets 24- 25 mil a year and I would much rather pay him that than Bortles 19.

The same reason why players keep getting higher priced contracts every single year. The salary cap keeps going up and there's a new contract that sets the market every year. Stafford's new contract just set the  QB market. Why would they even bother asking for anything less than $27m a year now? That's what the market is now set at and he's easily the top QB FA that'll be on the market.

$25m per year is still overpay for Cousins imo, yet somebody will easily pay it. I just hope it isn't us.

So how much you think he is going to get?

(12-06-2017, 11:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The same reason why players keep getting higher priced contracts every single year. The salary cap keeps going up and there's a new contract that sets the market every year. Stafford's new contract just set the  QB market. Why would they even bother asking for anything less than $27m a year now? That's what the market is now set at and he's easily the top QB FA that'll be on the market.

So how much you think he is going to get?

Way too much.

I don't know, but likely $25m+.

(12-06-2017, 11:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So how much you think he is going to get?

Way too much.

25 mil isnt to much imo.  Id sign him

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 11:33 PM by imtheblkranger.)

I was just using a round number higher than the current top contract. Seems to be a common theme among the talking heads that Cousins will command the biggest contract this off-season. It's just the nature of FA, guys get overpaid. If Stafford got $27 from his current team, it's not far fetched Cousins will hit $30 in FA.

(12-06-2017, 10:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Not for me. Cousins although better than Bortles, is still a slightly above average QB. Do you really wanna pay a fortune to a QB who is likely outside of the top 10 QB's in the NFL, knowing that it will likely cause a domino effect where we'll have to cut loose some of our defensive stars in order to stay under the salary cap? I say no. I'd much rather sign a decent free agent QB to a short term $12-14 million deal and draft our QB of the future. That way we can upgrade the QB position and keep our defense prime.

I tend to take this view as well. I'm on record saying I'd rather keep Blake and draft Mayfield than drop that money at this point.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-06-2017, 11:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Way too much.

25 mil isnt to much imo.  Id sign him

3-4 years ago when this team was terrible I'd agree. However, we're going to have plenty of guys to sign this off season and in coming off seasons who we'll need to pay.

Tying up that kind of money should only be for QBs who will win you at least 10 games every single season, no matter what happens around them, or how bad the team is. That's elite QB type of money and Cousins isn't elite. Paying out that kind of money to a QB hurts the rest of your team, unless he is elite and can carrying scrubs to at least 10 wins.

Stafford signing the richest contract is part of the market getting higher, but mostly due to the fact that they were backed into a corner and couldn't do anything else but pay him whatever he wanted.

Glad we all agree that he's better at least.

The thing is I think Cousins is worth at least 25 million or so in the current market. This team is ready to compete and with Kirk we are a contender. I'm not totally comfortable giving him 30+ million a year but I'd rather do that and at worst you have an above average QB than go with someone much worse and end up like the Broncos. He's a franchise QB. Get the franchise QB and worry about the rest later.

My ideal plan would be to take one of the big 3 QBs this year but it's not looking like that will happen.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

I think we'd land Cousins for 28 mil a year.. Still, 9 mil a year difference is a big chunk of $$. BUT, if we cut ties with Ivory(save 4 mil), Bortles(19 mil), and Lewis(3.75 mil) we have the room to land Cousins. There would be some dead cap, but nothing too brutal with just these 3 guys, and it gives you room to resign your other young players if they chose to. Malik Jackson could be another cut as a cap casualty this or next off season, because we'd only have 6 mil in dead cap but save 9.5 million next year. We have to make room for our young D-Linemen and other top draftees like Ramsey too down the road.

So with cap roll over, these cuts plus the raised cap, we have the room to snag a long term fixture at QB in Cousins and I really hope we do it. Draft one too if you want, hell go OL in the 1st and get a TE and RB in the 2nd/3rd.

With the right moves we could get Cousins and still sign our core young players.

EDIT: Henne is also a free agent, saves us 3.75 million. Draft a QB in the later rounds and go cheap there too, he won't play if we land Cousins. There is even more money saved and you lose literally NOTHING with Henne gone, lol.

He's been one of the best deep passer in football over the past 2 years. He's very accurate. His efficiency stats rank extremely high, even when compared to the greats. He's a football savant and his work ethic is insane according to everything we've heard. I'm banking on that over everyone else.

The front office will sort out things money wise.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 12:32 AM by Upper.)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...usKi00.htm

Go down about halfway to his advanced stats+. Those are all of the best QB stats averaged per throw and so 100 is league average. Cousins has been above average to elite at damn near everything for years and years. He isn't the best QB in the league, but he's going to be paid like it if he hits the open market...and I won't be upset if it is by us.

(unless you want to see a whole lot of 80s and 90s don't do this comparison for Bortles, but really you should so everyone will realize even this year Blake is still below average almost across the board)

Analysts have already said, when he hits free agency and the bidding starts, Cousins will receive the richest contract in the NFL. It's not how good you are, it's about being the best available QB on the market. Stafford received $27 million, but he was only dealing with the Lions. If Cousins even gets 2 teams in a bidding war, he should get somewhere around $30 million.

(12-07-2017, 12:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where does the 30 mil come from?  So you think he will be the highest paid QB in history by a large margin?  Stafford just signed the richest at 27 per year.  I think Cousins gets 24- 25 mil a year and I would much rather pay him that than Bortles 19.

Analysts have already said, when he hits free agency and the bidding starts, Cousins will receive the richest contract in the NFL. It's not how good you are, it's about being the best available QB on the market. Stafford received $27 million, but he was only dealing with the Lions. If Cousins even gets 2 teams in a bidding war, he should get somewhere around $30 million.

If that's the case, I wouldn't sign him for 30.  I'd get Eli for half that

Why not maximize this great roster we've built? I don't want to be that team that had great promise but fell away because they couldn't get the QB. Look at the broncos post super bowl.

Look at it in real terms. 30 million is alot of money, sure. What does it mean practically for us? It probably means we can't sign someone like Fowler down the line or Colvin this year perhaps. Maybe it means we let Barry Church go next year and start a rookie strong safety? These are pretty small things which might happen if we sign Cousins. Overall I don't think we will have any problem signing the likes of Arob, Yannick etc etc

I think the breaking point is 30, I wouldn't sign him for more. I think he will be had for just under at 28, MAYBE 29 mil. If we are in the running I bet he signs with us, we have a loaded defense and a stud RB. There won't be a better team with the cap we have available bidding for him.

I was not a Cousins believer early on but I think he has a large enough body of work now to suggest he is a top 10 QB in this league. Hell, they tried to screw him this year by getting rid of all his receivers and he’s still producing at a high level. Tough call on paying him what he’ll command, but if we do sign him I’ll be confident in him being able to lead this offense and make it one of the better ones in the league.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM by Achilles.)

(12-06-2017, 11:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So how much you think he is going to get?

Way too much.

Players always get paid too much during free agency every year. Someone else is always setting the bar. Cousins is arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, worst case scenario, he's top 10. 

Even if it's 10 mil more a year than Blake, to go from a bottom 10 QB to a top 10 QB is easily worth the 10 mil to a football team.

(12-06-2017, 11:32 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

I was just using a round number higher than the current top contract. Seems to be a common theme among the talking heads that Cousins will command the biggest contract this off-season. It's just the nature of FA, guys get overpaid. If Stafford got $27 from his current team, it's not far fetched Cousins will hit $30 in FA.

(12-06-2017, 10:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not for me. Cousins although better than Bortles, is still a slightly above average QB. Do you really wanna pay a fortune to a QB who is likely outside of the top 10 QB's in the NFL, knowing that it will likely cause a domino effect where we'll have to cut loose some of our defensive stars in order to stay under the salary cap? I say no. I'd much rather sign a decent free agent QB to a short term $12-14 million deal and draft our QB of the future. That way we can upgrade the QB position and keep our defense prime.

I tend to take this view as well. I'm on record saying I'd rather keep Blake and draft Mayfield than drop that money at this point.

I'd also be on the Blake/Mayfield train but that's a huge gamble. If the jags miss out on Mayfield and didn't get cousins because of that...we would be in trouble.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."