Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins or Blake Bortles

Id still take a 25 year old bortles over a 29 year old cousins.

Look at how coaching has effected blake this year with marrone.

Who's not to say he returns to his 2015 form with confidence. Blake has played alot better this year, not elite but miles better than last year. 1 year removed from the sprinkles he was coated with.

Id rather draft a Qb or bring in a actually wb like eli to complete with bortles and have a real competition. Until the rookie is ready. Or possibly Bortles becomes who we drafted him to be. Who knows.
Jags 4 Life

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I still say the best option is to trade up for one of the Big 3 QB's (Rosen, Mayfield or Rudolph, start that player and then sign a cheap, decent free agent QB as his backup.

Blake, after the Jags win the Super Bowl, he deserves a contract to be a Jaguar for life.

My biggest worry with Cousins is that $25-$28 million per year contract. That's one of those things that will strap a team for years to come.

I would rather sign Blake or another qb at $15-$18 million a year and draft an up and coming qb. Give him a cap friendly contract where we can cut bait whenever we need to.

(12-07-2017, 07:41 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Way too much.

I don't know, but likely $25m+.

Players always get paid too much during free agency every year. Someone else is always setting the bar. Cousins is arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, worst case scenario, he's top 10. 

Even if it's 10 mil more a year than Blake, to go from a bottom 10 QB to a top 10 QB is easily worth the 10 mil to a football team.

(12-06-2017, 11:32 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I was just using a round number higher than the current top contract. Seems to be a common theme among the talking heads that Cousins will command the biggest contract this off-season. It's just the nature of FA, guys get overpaid. If Stafford got $27 from his current team, it's not far fetched Cousins will hit $30 in FA.

I tend to take this view as well. I'm on record saying I'd rather keep Blake and draft Mayfield than drop that money at this point.

I'd also be on the Blake/Mayfield train but that's a huge gamble. If the jags miss out on Mayfield and didn't get cousins because of that...we would be in trouble.
There lies the rub...in order to ensure you get Baker you would have to trade up in the draft...most likely 1st/2nd this year and next years 1st.

I personally would rather sign Cousins then draft TE/OL/WR and some combo to get the offense in line and shoot for the Super Bowl in the next 2 years then worry about how to keep it together once Ramsey/Jack become FAs.....

Guys, a ~30 mil Cousins compared to a currently $6.5 million Bortles is a decent question. A ~30 mil Cousins with a high teens million Bortles on a long term deal (not debating the 5th year option) is not even close. Cousins is way more than 10 million better than Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM by atburg.)

(12-06-2017, 10:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well, who do we think is the better QB?

To those who say Bortles I'd like you to tell me what Blake does better as a QB apart from run the ball?

(@Atburg)

Good to see you listen, instead of trolling my every word. I don't care what thread we post in- Cousins/ Bortles is a wash! 10 million extra a year for a another guy who is incapable of putting a team on his shoulders.

To answer your question, despite his struggles at least Blake can manage a winning team.

(12-07-2017, 11:19 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: My biggest worry with Cousins is that $25-$28 million per year contract.  That's one of those things that will strap a team for years to come.

I would rather sign Blake or another qb at $15-$18 million a year and draft an up and coming qb.  Give him a cap friendly contract where we can cut bait whenever we need to.

Give me A.J. for 15 a year, let Blake either beat him out (no way) or sit.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM by JackCity.)

(12-07-2017, 06:39 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 10:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well, who do we think is the better QB?

To those who say Bortles I'd like you to tell me what Blake does better as a QB apart from run the ball?

(@Atburg)

Good to see you listen, instead of trolling my every word. I don't care what thread we post in- Cousins/ Bortles is a wash! 10 million extra a year for a another guy who is incapable of putting a team on his shoulders.

To answer your question, despite his struggles at least Blake can manage a winning team.

Well you see Cousins has already done that in years previous. 

I'll ask again, as a QB what does Blake do better than Cousins apart from run the ball? I'm talking about QB play. Not stats, actual traits QBs display on each and every play i.e accuracy, anticipation, not turning it over etc etc 

What does Blake do better as a QB?

(12-07-2017, 11:19 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: My biggest worry with Cousins is that $25-$28 million per year contract.  That's one of those things that will strap a team for years to come.

I would rather sign Blake or another qb at $15-$18 million a year and draft an up and coming qb.  Give him a cap friendly contract where we can cut bait whenever we need to.

Every team with a good QB will have to pay that contract from now on if not more.  It'll be the standard.

(12-07-2017, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 06:39 PM)atburg Wrote: Good to see you listen, instead of trolling my every word. I don't care what thread we post in- Cousins/ Bortles is a wash! 10 million extra a year for a another guy who is incapable of putting a team on his shoulders.

Well you see Cousins has already done that in years previous. 

I'll ask again, as a QB what does Blake do better than Cousins apart from run the ball? I'm talking about QB play. Not stats, actual traits QBs display on each and every play i.e accuracy, anticipation, not turning it over etc etc 

Every team with a good QB will have to pay that contract from now on if not more.  It'll be the standard.

I really don't give a damn about previous years, what part of that is not going through your head?????? Blake is the current qb on the current 8-4 roster, and i'm not convinced Cousins would do any better. I'm not a huge Bortles fan, and I'm not a Cousins fan. And to say Cousins does not turn the ball over is just plain dumb!! 12 fumbles (5 lost), and 8 picks is far from perfect.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 07:31 PM by Upper.)

(12-07-2017, 07:21 PM)atburg Wrote: I really don't give a damn about previous years, what part of that is not going through your head?????? Blake is the current qb on the current 8-4 roster, and i'm not convinced Cousins would do any better. I'm not a huge Bortles fan, and I'm not a Cousins fan. And to say Cousins does not turn the ball over is just plain dumb!! 12 fumbles (5 lost), and 8 picks is far from perfect.

Since y'all don't like looking at links here are their + stats compared to each other. Cousins on top:

y/a+ ny/a+ay/a+any/a+cmp%+td%+int%+sack%+rate+
118 107 115 109 114 108 106 87 114
90 95 94 96 89 93 103 109 93

To Blake's credit he has limited his INTs better than we thought he would, but Cousins is still a little better at that too. So basically Blake is better than Kirk at avoiding sacks, and Kirk is WAY better at everything else.

Sorry the formatting doesn't work right, but the point is still clear.

(12-07-2017, 07:21 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well you see Cousins has already done that in years previous. 

I really don't give a damn about previous years, what part of that is not going through your head?????? Blake is the current qb on the current 8-4 roster, and i'm not convinced Cousins would do any better. I'm not a huge Bortles fan, and I'm not a Cousins fan. And to say Cousins does not turn the ball over is just plain dumb!! 12 fumbles (5 lost), and 8 picks is far from perfect.

Previous years are important to determine future performance no? 

You might want to read that again. Those are just examples of QB traits. Hence the i.e part. 

So again, what are some things Blake does better than Cousins as a QB? I.e who is more accurate, who turns it over less, who's been better throwing deep, who's better on playaction, who's better throwing to the middle of the field etc etc. If they are are similar QBs, surely Blake does some of these things better than Kirk?

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 07:44 PM by atburg.)

(12-07-2017, 07:30 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:21 PM)atburg Wrote: I really don't give a damn about previous years, what part of that is not going through your head?????? Blake is the current qb on the current 8-4 roster, and i'm not convinced Cousins would do any better. I'm not a huge Bortles fan, and I'm not a Cousins fan. And to say Cousins does not turn the ball over is just plain dumb!! 12 fumbles (5 lost), and 8 picks is far from perfect.

Previous years are important to determine future performance no? 

You might want to read that again. Those are just examples of QB traits. Hence the i.e part. 

So again, what are some things Blake does better than Cousins as a QB? I.e who is more accurate, who turns it over less, who's been better throwing deep, who's better on playaction, who's better throwing to the middle of the field etc etc. If they are are similar QBs, surely Blake does some of these things better than Kirk?

One more time, being you obviously have difficulty understanding. I am content with Blake Bortles as the starting quarterback this year for this roster! Is Cousins more accurate? Yes! Bortles turns it over less, and actually throws quite well in playaction.

And no, previous years don't tell the whole story.

(12-07-2017, 07:42 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: Previous years are important to determine future performance no? 

One more time, being you obviously have difficulty understanding. I am content with Blake Bortles as the starting quarterback this year for this roster! Is Cousins more accurate? Yes! Bortles turns it over less, and actually throws quite well in playaction.

Cousins turns it over less and has been a top 5 playaction passer the last few years despite no run game though. So there's those two gone.  Anymore? 

No they don't tell the whole story. They are a big part of it though. The best way to predict future performance is too look at past performance. You can't just ignore it.

(12-07-2017, 07:42 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: Previous years are important to determine future performance no? 

You sound like a crazy person.

Kirk is better at Blake than everything. Kirk with ARob, Fournette, Westbrook and Hurns? Throw in a guard and TE from the draft? Yea. Sign me up.

Well, if we had Cousins this season, I don't see how anyone would be able to beat us. We'd be definite Superbowl favorites.

Didn't Cousins say he prefers shorter contracts? If so, we can get away with a 3-year contract. If he's not producing at expectations, then we'd use the money to sign all those other starters we want to keep when it expires. If he does perform as expected, then I'm sure we could re-up before it expires. If he's performing well, then we'll have to make tough decisions to keep the team together, but the money is going somewhere and the QB is the most important.

(12-07-2017, 07:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:42 PM)atburg Wrote: One more time, being you obviously have difficulty understanding. I am content with Blake Bortles as the starting quarterback this year for this roster! Is Cousins more accurate? Yes! Bortles turns it over less, and actually throws quite well in playaction.

Cousins turns it over less and has been a top 5 playaction passer the last few years despite no run game though. So there's those two gone.  Anymore? 

No they don't tell the whole story. They are a big part of it though. The best way to predict future performance is too look at past performance. You can't just ignore it.

Going to try this a different way. I have said a number of times I am not a Bortles guy, but you have turned this into me treating him like a legend. I am excited to see how this season plays out, and right now he is the starting quarterback. It is no secret on this board I have been a bama fan since 82. I pleaded in 2014 for Aj. in the draft, and will again in the off-season. I would like Cousins more as an 18-20 million dollar option, but just don't see it at 25-30.

(12-07-2017, 09:31 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cousins turns it over less and has been a top 5 playaction passer the last few years despite no run game though. So there's those two gone.  Anymore? 

Going to try this a different way. I have said a number of times I am not a Bortles guy, but you have turned this into me treating him like a legend. I am excited to see how this season plays out, and right now he is the starting quarterback. It is no secret on this board I have been a bama fan since 82. I pleaded in 2014 for Aj. in the draft, and will again in the off-season. I would like Cousins more as an 18-20 million dollar option, but just don't see it at 25-30.

I've done nothing of the sort. All I've been doing is showing you there is a gulf in talent and performance between Blake and Cousins. You were saying that they are give or take to you so I asked what Blake does better as a QB? So far you haven't come up with anything.  

The reality is Cousins is gonna cost 25-30+ million.  If you want him that's what you have to pay. What price do you think a near elite franchise QB on the open market should be paid? 20 million is wildly unrealistic.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 10:03 PM by atburg.)

(12-07-2017, 09:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 09:31 PM)atburg Wrote: Going to try this a different way. I have said a number of times I am not a Bortles guy, but you have turned this into me treating him like a legend. I am excited to see how this season plays out, and right now he is the starting quarterback. It is no secret on this board I have been a bama fan since 82. I pleaded in 2014 for Aj. in the draft, and will again in the off-season. I would like Cousins more as an 18-20 million dollar option, but just don't see it at 25-30.

I've done nothing of the sort. All I've been doing is showing you there is a gulf in talent and performance between Blake and Cousins. You were saying that they are give or take to you so I asked what Blake does better as a QB? So far you haven't come up with anything.  

The reality is Cousins is gonna cost 25-30+ million.  If you want him that's what you have to pay. What price do you think a near elite franchise QB on the open market should be paid? 20 million is wildly unrealistic.

I am saying they are give and take in the current situation, 8-4 is 8-4. Our current quarterback has not outright lost us a game this year ( I don't trust him 100%, still could happen.).

(12-07-2017, 10:02 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 09:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: I've done nothing of the sort. All I've been doing is showing you there is a gulf in talent and performance between Blake and Cousins. You were saying that they are give or take to you so I asked what Blake does better as a QB? So far you haven't come up with anything.  

I am saying they are give and take in the current situation, 8-4 is 8-4. Our current quarterback has not outright lost us a game this year ( I don't trust him 100%, still could happen.).

Cousins is playing  much better than Blake despite much less around him though. He is a better QB. 

8-4 is our record yeah. That doesn't mean Blake is playing better or is a better QB. The whole point of this discussion is about Cousins for next year. We all know Blake is the QB this year.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 08:56 AM by The Real Marty.)

As far as affordability, Cousins at almost $30 million vs Bortles at the scheduled $19 million next year, just drop Allen Robinson.  Let him walk.  He's projected at $15 million if we franchise him, so just let him walk.   Bortles at $19 million + Robinson for $15 million, and there's your money for Cousins.

Problem solved.