Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins or Blake Bortles

(12-08-2017, 08:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As far as affordability, Cousins at almost $30 million vs Bortles at the scheduled $19 million next year, just drop Allen Robinson.  Let him walk.  He's projected at $15 million if we franchise him, so just let him walk.   Bortles at $19 million + Robinson for $15 million, and there's your money for Cousins.

Problem solved.

For next year.

A contract like that will affect the team's cap for years to come.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-08-2017, 09:02 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 08:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As far as affordability, Cousins at almost $30 million vs Bortles at the scheduled $19 million next year, just drop Allen Robinson.  Let him walk.  He's projected at $15 million if we franchise him, so just let him walk.   Bortles at $19 million + Robinson for $15 million, and there's your money for Cousins.

Problem solved.

For next year.

Exactly. No one seems to be thinking beyond the present.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

If ya don't have a QB you don't score in bunches. Do u think the FO would care if Brunell was in his prime heading to FA? And had to over pay to get him? Of course not.

The goal is to win a super bowl. If you don't have a good QB you won't win.

So if ya find that QB ya worry about stability. What QB gives ya constant division titles or Playoff runs.

To Stick with status quo and hope for a miracle. Is doing nothing at all. But don't be mad when. That miracle don't come. Because not willing to take chances.

Cousins would be a better fit for our team right now than any rookie would be. But has to hit the market.

How many years now in a row said was going to and never did?

Eli most likely will stay in NY. With recent firings.

Buffalo is in shambles. But yet don't see Taylor hitting market.

But yes you over pay and worry bout cuts later for a once in a blue moon FA like Cousins.

Ya don't stick with Blake if he does not constantly improve. Or will still waste talent. Because when contract expires they will leave. And want That super bowl shot.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Gibberish.

(12-08-2017, 09:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 09:02 AM)Rico Wrote: For next year.

Exactly. No one seems to be thinking beyond the present
Sure it will.  And if Coughlin didn't have high talent back in 90 S?   How good would the Jags be?   Ya have to have a QB.   Robinson may walk or not try.  if forced to stay.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM by RicoTx.)

(12-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 09:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly. No one seems to be thinking beyond the present
Sure it will.  And if Coughlin didn't have high talent back in 90 S?   How good would the Jags be?   Ya have to have a QB.   Robinson may walk or not try.  if forced to stay.

Use your brain for a change.  What happened when he started screwing up the salary cap?  They had to blow up the whole team again.   By the way, how many Super Bowls did Coughlin win while he was here with that 'high talent'?  But to you being fiscally responsible with the cap = 'being scared'.

Hey...I think I'll spend all my money now.  I'll worry about retirement later.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM by Upper.)

This situation is nothing like the late 90s Jags though. That was still the adolescence of the salary cap. Teams didn't know how to maneuver it. They didn't have insanely talented capologists. The cap didn't rise nearly as much every year. Teams just don't get into cap hell like that anymore.

Sure, we might have to cut Malik or Dareus after a couple of years. We might not be able to resign Fowler (the horror.../s). We can still keep the majority of the team together and afford Cousins, and Arob. Cousins minus one of Malik or Dareus and Fowler >>>> team with Bortles and those guys. Maaaaybe we get the best of both worlds hitting on a drafted QB, but that's very risky obviously.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 12:44 PM by UCF Knight.)

(12-07-2017, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 06:39 PM)atburg Wrote: Good to see you listen, instead of trolling my every word. I don't care what thread we post in- Cousins/ Bortles is a wash! 10 million extra a year for a another guy who is incapable of putting a team on his shoulders.

To answer your question, despite his struggles at least Blake can manage a winning team.

Well you see Cousins has already done that in years previous. 

I'll ask again, as a QB what does Blake do better than Cousins apart from run the ball? I'm talking about QB play. Not stats, actual traits QBs display on each and every play i.e accuracy, anticipation, not turning it over etc etc 

What does Blake do better as a QB?

(12-07-2017, 11:19 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: My biggest worry with Cousins is that $25-$28 million per year contract.  That's one of those things that will strap a team for years to come.

I would rather sign Blake or another qb at $15-$18 million a year and draft an up and coming qb.  Give him a cap friendly contract where we can cut bait whenever we need to.

Every team with a good QB will have to pay that contract from now on if not more.  It'll be the standard.

That's not true, not true at all.  Tom Brady makes $1mm per game and that is the reason the Patriots are good week in and week out.  He gives them a chance to fill other positions.  Peyton Manning killed the Colts.  He was the reason they weren't able to fill the positions around him.  Eli Manning, same reason.  The Giants were able to put up a decent defense, but look at that offensive talent around him.

Has anyone actually watched Cousins this year?  While he's better than Bortles, do you really think he's a world beater?  He makes some of the same mistakes Bortles does.  He throws into bad coverages, throws right at defensive players that drop the ball, and can look relatively inconsistent week to week.  Is he really worth 5 times the value of what we're paying Bortles this year?  I'm willing to bet there is better value out there and I would rather invest in some of the guys we currently have and find a better solution than taking that risk.

(12-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 09:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly. No one seems to be thinking beyond the present

Brunell was an ok quarterback.  Brunell had players around him that made him look amazing.  He had two potential hall of fame tackles in Searcy and Boselli, two legit wide receivers, Fred Taylor, and a ton of other role players that produced. 

Brunell's greatest skills for this team was his accuracy.  He just put the ball where it needed to be because this team was loaded with talent, and guess what if you blow 1/4 of the salary cap on your quarterback, you can't afford that talent.

(12-08-2017, 12:41 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well you see Cousins has already done that in years previous. 

I'll ask again, as a QB what does Blake do better than Cousins apart from run the ball? I'm talking about QB play. Not stats, actual traits QBs display on each and every play i.e accuracy, anticipation, not turning it over etc etc 

What does Blake do better as a QB?

Every team with a good QB will have to pay that contract from now on if not more.  It'll be the standard.

That's not true, not true at all.  Tom Brady makes $1mm per game and that is the reason the Patriots are good week in and week out.  He gives them a chance to fill other positions.  Peyton Manning killed the Colts.  He was the reason they weren't able to fill the positions around him.  Eli Manning, same reason.  The Giants were able to put up a decent defense, but look at that offensive talent around him.

Has anyone actually watched Cousins this year?  While he's better than Bortles, do you really think he's a world beater?  He makes some of the same mistakes Bortles does.  He throws into bad coverages, throws right at defensive players that drop the ball, and can look relatively inconsistent week to week.  Is he really worth 5 times the value of what we're paying Bortles this year?  I'm willing to bet there is better value out there and I would rather invest in some of the guys we currently have and find a better solution than taking that risk.

The reason the pats are good week in week out is because they have the GOAT HC and the GOAT QB playing alongside each other. Brady takes less for the good of the team. That is not the standard.  

The colts drafting defense terribly is what "killed them". Peyton choking in the playoffs killed them. Bad coaching "killed them". The contract wasn't the issue there. And they still made the playoffs every year.  

I think you are remembering the past wrong. Eli has had very good receivers , very good run games and very good lines all at different times of his tenure. The last few years have been bad but that isn't a contract issue. The issue is the Giants have failed to address their line and run game. The issue is the front office. The issue is Eli declining. The actual contract wasn't the problem.  

Cousins has been playing like a borderline elite QB the last 2 years, with a bad defense and run game.
Did you watch Drew Brees and Matt Ryan play last night? Awful mistakes from both of them. Still very good QBs. 

Ideally we would draft one of the top 3 QBs this year but it looks unlikely to happen. So apart from that miraculously happening what is your plan for the QB spot next year.

(12-08-2017, 12:41 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: Is he really worth 5 times the value of what we're paying Bortles this year? 

Cousins is worth closer to 5x the value of what we're paying Bortles this year compared to paying Bortles 3x the value of what we are paying Bortles this year.

(12-08-2017, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 12:41 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: That's not true, not true at all.  Tom Brady makes $1mm per game and that is the reason the Patriots are good week in and week out.  He gives them a chance to fill other positions.  Peyton Manning killed the Colts.  He was the reason they weren't able to fill the positions around him.  Eli Manning, same reason.  The Giants were able to put up a decent defense, but look at that offensive talent around him.

The reason the pats are good week in week out is because they have the GOAT HC and the GOAT QB playing alongside each other. Brady takes less for the good of the team. That is not the standard.  

The colts drafting defense terribly is what "killed them". Peyton choking in the playoffs killed them. Bad coaching "killed them". The contract wasn't the issue there. And they still made the playoffs every year.  

I think you are remembering the past wrong. Eli has had very good receivers , very good run games and very good lines all at different times of his tenure. The last few years have been bad but that isn't a contract issue. The issue is the Giants have failed to address their line and run game. The issue is the front office. The issue is Eli declining. The actual contract wasn't the problem.  

Cousins has been playing like a borderline elite QB the last 2 years, with a bad defense and run game.
Did you watch Drew Brees and Matt Ryan play last night? Awful mistakes from both of them. Still very good QBs. 

Ideally we would draft one of the top 3 QBs this year but it looks unlikely to happen. So apart from that miraculously happening what is your plan for the QB spot next year.

How can you honestly compare Cousins to Brees, and Ryan?

(12-08-2017, 03:20 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: The reason the pats are good week in week out is because they have the GOAT HC and the GOAT QB playing alongside each other. Brady takes less for the good of the team. That is not the standard.  

How can you honestly compare Cousins to Brees, and Ryan?

Because I'm comparing the mistakes they make. Not the actual QBs and their track record.  Try again Atburg, you'll get there some day...

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 04:22 PM by atburg.)

(12-08-2017, 03:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 03:20 PM)atburg Wrote: How can you honestly compare Cousins to Brees, and Ryan?

Because I'm comparing the mistakes they make. Not the actual QBs and their track record.  Try again Atburg, you'll get there some day...

It was an honest question, I can see feelings are starting to get hurt.

I'm closer to "there" than you want to believe. You just called Cousins " Borderline elite", not even top 15. And that is throwing out guys like Dalton, Dak, and Winston who all could make a case as better than Cousins.

(12-08-2017, 04:10 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 03:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: Because I'm comparing the mistakes they make. Not the actual QBs and their track record.  Try again Atburg, you'll get there some day...

It was an honest question, I can see feelings are starting to get hurt.

I'm closer to "there" than you want to believe. You just called Cousins " Borderline elite", not even top 15. And that is throwing out guys like Dalton, Dak, and Winston who all could make a case as better than Cousins.
What case does Dalton or Winston have? They’re not even close to the QB Cousins is.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 04:48 PM by RicoTx.)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121...dskins-nfl

"Great guy, will never embarrass you off the field, and if you were ranking guys, he's probably above average. But he's not special. And that's not going to change."

Longtime NFL front office decision-maker, when asked to assess Cousins' prospects

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM by atburg.)

(12-08-2017, 04:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 04:10 PM)atburg Wrote: It was an honest question, I can see feelings are starting to get hurt.

What case does Dalton or Winston have? They’re not even close to the QB Cousins is.

Please enlighten me! And why leave out Prescott in your comment ? He is is the worst of the 3 without Zeke.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 05:37 PM by atburg.)

(12-08-2017, 04:46 PM)Rico Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121...dskins-nfl

"Great guy, will never embarrass you off the field, and if you were ranking guys, he's probably above average. But he's not special. And that's not going to change."

Longtime NFL front office decision-maker, when asked to assess Cousins' prospects

31.6 completion % inside the 10 last year, screams borderline elite. Great numbers to have with the game on the line.

At least this year he has it up to a robust 35%, unfortunately still dead last. 1 behind Prescott for picks inside the 20, tied with a few others. But the others have double the attempts.

(12-08-2017, 10:55 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: Sure it will.  And if Coughlin didn't have high talent back in 90 S?   How good would the Jags be?   Ya have to have a QB.   Robinson may walk or not try.  if forced to stay.

Use your brain for a change.  What happened when he started screwing up the salary cap?  They had to blow up the whole team again.   By the way, how many Super Bowls did Coughlin win while he was here with that 'high talent'?  But to you being fiscally responsible with the cap = 'being scared'.

Hey...I think I'll spend all my money now.  I'll worry about retirement later.

Sounds like my wife.

(12-08-2017, 05:28 PM)atburg Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 04:46 PM)Rico Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121...dskins-nfl

31.6 completion % inside the 10 last year, screams borderline elite. Great numbers to have with the game on the line.

At least this year he has it up to a robust 35%, unfortunately still dead last. 1 behind Prescott for picks inside the 20, tied with a few others. But the others have double the attempts.

Better than Bortles?  Yes.

Worth 30 million?  No.  As a matter of fact, hell no.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 06:41 PM by atburg.)

(12-08-2017, 06:02 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 05:28 PM)atburg Wrote: 31.6 completion % inside the 10 last year, screams borderline elite. Great numbers to have with the game on the line.

Another interesting stat for the 30 million club, only 50% of his third down passes get a first down. Only 3 quarterbacks rank lower, Flacco, Beathard , and Cutler. 

Damn the hole keeps getting bigger!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl...t-working/

(12-08-2017, 06:02 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 05:28 PM)atburg Wrote: 31.6 completion % inside the 10 last year, screams borderline elite. Great numbers to have with the game on the line.

I don't think you can field a consistant winner with either, which was my original point before someone started crying.

This team with Cousins at qb is 8-4, but lets spend double the money to be in the exact same place. Of course if he played for a team where he didn't have a defense like ours that can control the game, he would be more like............. 5-7