Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A real shot for us...

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 01:04 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

At the 1 seed after NE losing to Miami. Its a long shot, but man to even have this conversation is fantastic! 

New England is not the same Patriots team of old, they have glaring weaknesses. I could see them dropping a game to Buffalo. The scenario we would need going forward for us to grab the 1 seed is as follows: 

We win out(duh)

New England beats the Steelers
New England loses to Buffalo or Jets(Division games are tough and both teams are decent this year)

Pittsburgh needs to lose to New England 
Pittsburgh needs to lose 1 of the last 2 games of the season. This last part is a tough sell, Houston and Cleveland. 

It looks likely we may end up better off hoping for Pittsburgh to win so if we win out we get the 2 seed, but there is slight potential for the 1 seed, and it feels pretty good to even be in the conversation, even if its a small stretch!

The standings would end with all 3 teams 12-4, and we would have a 10-2 conference record, and they would both have 9-3 records.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I'd much rather have Pitt take out NE next week and get the bye than rely on any of those bad teams winning a game against the Steelers or Pats. Zero chance that Houston or Cleveland beats Pitt. Jets have the worst QB situation in the league afyw r mccown went down. They might not score a touchdown all year. Only team that stands a shot is Buffalo. But in your scenario that would still only give us the 2 seed. Much more plausible to just root for Pitt this week and take care of our own business. We also have historically played well in Pittsburgh.

Too many thing have to "go right" to get the 1 seed. Take the 2 seed, and hope the Jags win out with an opportunity to face Brady on the road.

(12-12-2017, 01:11 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'd much rather have Pitt take out NE next week and get the bye than rely on any of those bad teams winning a game against the Steelers or Pats. Zero chance that Houston or Cleveland beats Pitt. Jets have the worst QB situation in the league afyw r mccown went down. They might not score a touchdown all year. Only team that stands a shot is Buffalo. But in your scenario that would still only give us the 2 seed. Much more plausible to just root for Pitt this week and take care of our own business. We also have historically played well in Pittsburgh.

If all three teams go 12-4 we get the 1 seed. We would go 10-2 in conference and NE and PIT would be 9-3, head to head we also beat Pitt. Out of division opponents go head to head, then conference record. 

I agree though. its a bit of wishful thinking, but its very plausible we get the 2 seed either way, which would rock! I feel PIT would be the more susceptible to lose at home than New England, but that's just guessing at this point. So them having the 1 seed and possibly losing in the divisional round would get us a home game if we win in the divisional round. I know Im getting ahead of myself but its pretty damn exciting to be in this spot!

Let's beat Houston next week and go forward from there. But dang it is cool to be reviewing playoff seeding again after a decade of despair.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 05:29 AM by myrick31.)

We have a legit shot at the 2 seed, we need to root for Pitt and it is not close. Pitt is so bad anyway that we will probably be hosting LA or KC in the title game anyway.

Early in the preseason, Malik Jackson predicted we'd be a Super Bowl team.

Even though some of us liked his moxie, I don't think even the biggest Jaguars homer thought we stood a chance of reaching those lofty goals. But as it turns out, Malik Jackson may have been right.

For the first time since 1999, I see a possible path to the Super Bowl for us, and I say this in all seriousness.

Yes, a lot has to go right for us to get there, but that's the case for every Super Bowl team. Here's how I think we get there.

1. We have to win out. That isn't so far fetched, but it will be tough. It starts this Sunday. Houston, a divisional game, is winnable. But as a divisional foe we can't take them lightly. But if we can replicate our week one performance against them and their 3rd string QB, we should win. More on the winning out a little later.

2. Pittsburgh must beat New England this Sunday. I thought I had met my very rare quota of actually rooting for the Steelers once within a year, but as fate would have it, they would be a huge ally for us. New England is currently a game ahead of us for the 2nd seed in the conference, thanks to their upset loss to Miami. If Pittsburgh beats New England this Sunday and we take care of business, we'll be tied record wise with the Pats. However, we win the tiebreaker over the Pats at that stage. Head to head would not be applicable, but we would have the better conference record. Of our four losses, only two were to AFC teams (tacks and Jets). If New England loses to Pittsburgh, that would give them their third conference loss (KC, Miami, then Pittsburgh). Assuming both teams won out after this week, we'd be the #2 seed, barring an inexplicable Steelers collapse.

3. Ideally, San Francisco beats Tennessee. Record wise, that seems farfetched. However, San Francisco will not be chalk for either us or Tennessee. The 49ers have been playing well of late. Garoppolo has played two games for the 49ers and they have won these last two. Meanwhile, Tennessee has struggled of late. They barely eked out wins over the Colts and Browns and lost to the Cards. A Tennessee loss to San Francisco this week and a loss to the Rams the following week could have them out of the playoff hunt and demoralized by the time we play them week 17. There would be talk of coaching changes.

If it plays out like that, Jacksonville would end the regular season as the #2 seed and have the first round bye.

By my guess, the seeds would be:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Jacksonville
3. New England
4. L.A. Chargers
5. ???
6. ???

Here's where things really get dicey.

Under the above seeding, I would predict New England and L.A. Chargers to win the Wild Card round. The lowest remaining seed would travel to Pittsburgh for the divisional round, while the highest remaining seed from the Wild Card weekend-in this case New England-would come to Jacksonville.

Now anybody reading this would groan at the idea of facing Brady and Belicheck in the playoffs. I wouldn't exactly be thrilled at the prospect. However, I think we match up pretty decently against the Patriots, arguably better than we have against any Patriots team in our history. We can rush the passer, which is a key to success against Brady. We can also cover very well. If you remember the way Brady picked us apart in the playoffs in 2007, he was able to do so because we couldn't rush the passer and couldn't cover pretty well. In fact we sat back in zone the entire time. This defense shouldn't fall into that trap, at least to the degree we did in 2007. This team is capable of producing turnovers. Against the three Super Bowl winning QBs we've faced this year (Big Ben, Flacco and Wilson), our defense has come up with ten (10) INTs! The one defensive matchup that would concern me is Gronkowski. I think the way to beat new England's defense is to be physical, and we are capable of doing that. Belichick is capable of scheming ways of taking away an offense's best weapon. But I think brute force is a way around that. Yes, the Patriots would be a tough matchup for us, but if this team is going to go to the Super Bowl, playing New England would be inescapable, IMO, and our best shot of beating the legendary Brady and Belicheck in the playoffs would be right here in Jacksonville instead of in Foxboro.

This likely brings us to our old nemesis Pittsburgh. Historically, our team has been fearless when it comes to Pittsburgh. We beat the Steelers in our inaugural season for our franchise's first ever home win. We've played well in Pittsburgh over the years. FT's best ever performance was in Pittsburgh. The Jaguars are the only team in NFL history to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice in the same season, accomplishing that in 2007. This year, we handed the Steelers one of their two losses, blowing them out 30-9. We ran the ball at will against the Steelers and picked off Big Ben five times. I think if we had to travel to Heinz Field this postseason we could win there and reach our first ever Super Bowl.

Now I said likely because it's possible the Chargers could beat Pittsburgh in the divisional round. In that case, we'd host them in the AFC Championship game if we beat new England. While I do not like the matchup against the Chargers, I do think we are better equipped to face them now than we were earlier in the season. Bortles is playing better than he was at that point, and that is attributable in large part due to the development/emergence of Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook. Those two offer a vertical element to the passing game that we lacked in our prior meeting. Cole played in that first meeting, but he seems to have improved since then. IIRC, Westbrook was not available then, but though he is a rookie, he has demonstrated a polish and a savvy that many rookie receivers do not display.

As I indicated earlier, a lot has to go right for the remainder of the season to unfold as I laid out above. But the suddenly not so crazy part is it's doable. If the team stays healthy, continues to take care of business, if Bortles continues to play well, this, indeed, could be a season more special than anyone-Malik Jackson notwithstanding-could have reasonably foreseen coming into this season.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The Titans defense has been overachieving lately and has been bailing out the really bad play by Mariota against bad teams. They finally came up on the short end in Arizona. Garoppolo has given the 49ers a boost. Not a huge boost but enough to beat an average Texans team on their 3rd string QB. It is realistic for the 49ers to win unless Mariota steps his game up. I don't want to take the lousy Texans on their 3rd string QB lightly but we SHOULD for all intents and purposes win the game... even if by only 1 point. I would root against New England at this point. Since the Steelers lucked out and beat the Ravens I would hope they beat the Patriots since they had an improbable loss to Miami. This gives us the same record as New England and we would have the tie breaker on them due to conference record (9-2 vs. 7-3). I like the idea of going to Pittsburgh more than going to New England. We won that game 30-9 already. That 2 seed is just as good as the 1 seed for us I think.
No pain, no gain.

(12-12-2017, 01:10 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4145161]

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!