Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When Does Weight Loss Become A Bad Thing?

Just wondering. I knows that everyone strives to keep their weight in check to remain healthy. I was always very thin growing up. I graduated High School (a very long time ago) weighing about 160 lbs. By the time I hit 30, I was about 220. At 45, I was exactly 269 lbs when I was diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcinoma. For the past few weeks, I have had no appetite, and rarely eat. I haven't had a solid meal in over a week, and basically live on Ensure.

I had an appointment with my oncologist today, and weighed in at 176 lbs. I am approaching 100 lbs lost since having cancer. I am starting to look (cancer sick). I look like those people in the commercials with cancer. It is something I am having a hard time grasping. I think I have reached the point where I am unhealthy thin. I don't know what to do about it, as I have zero desire to eat anymore.

I wish there was an answer to this. I sure would welcome any advice.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Smoke pot. Wait for onset of appetite. Seriously, it more than likely will also help with some of your other symptoms as well. Fight on Brother.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

^^^what he said.^^^
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Agree on the pot solution ^^^.

I dunno if it would be okay to do with your treatments and such but you could try go using those protein powders specifically for weight gain and gym work.

I used to use one and it's essentially just for bumping your calorie intake and making it easier to get meals in. You drink a big shake in the morning or evening and other than that just eat normal. Can get really nice flavours like cookie dough, caramel, brownie etc etc.

Only issue is if appetite is tough like you say it may be hard to get down. Just might be easier than looking a big plate of dinner in the eye. Anyway good luck with it all, rooting for ya.

I think it depends on how tall you are.

176 seems fine if you're average height. I'm not sure that eating more, or creating an appetite, is the way to go just because you look "cancer sick". I'd say workout more, but you may not have the energy for it.

I wish I knew the right answer.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 01:01 AM by Caldrac.)

Not to beat the same drum but I agree with what many have already said here. Smoke weed everyday. You may want to eat more after a few sessions. I don't know how far along your cancer has progressed but I am a huge advocate of Rick Simpson oil and cannabis as a healing mechanism for the body.

If you can, when you do eat. Please, please, please avoid sugars and carbohydrates. Stick to leafy greens, nuts, seeds and clean sources of meat if you can. More and more studies are now linking sugar as a primary feeder to cancer cells within in our blood streams. Best to keep it simple and damn near basic or "paleo" or "keto" as some people would put it today. Good healthy fats, moderate levels of protein and low, low carbohydrates and sugars that should honestly come from your greens like spinach and kale, etc.

Just hang in there man. I hate seeing [BLEEP] like this. We're all here for you. I was over 300 pounds at the beginning of the year because of my terrible eating habits. I switched it up and dabbled with some different diets. Ended up sticking with Ketogenic off and on after I developed skin rashes and was deemed close to a diabetic level. I've managed to drop 37 pounds despite inconsistencies and lapses but I've at least managed to limit my "cheat" days.

I feel a lot better. My blood pressure has gone down. My risk for diabetes has gone down. I can run a lot more and get after cardio like I did when I was a kid. Just find a way man. It's a [BLEEP]. But you have to do it. I know you can do it. You're a lot older than me and you have that old man strength. Just one day at a time. But start by really thinking about what you're putting into your body food wise. I think people overlook that too much. Especially in the medical field.

As Benjamin Franklin once said. "Eat to live, don't live to eat".
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'm 6'2 180 at 36 years old and I don't feel skinny at all.

I agree with Deacon 100%. Sugar to cancer is as lighter fluid to an open flame. When you smoke the weed and get the munchies just stay away from the junk food. Eat whole foods. Fuel your body to heal, not the cancer.

(12-16-2017, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I agree with Deacon 100%. Sugar to cancer is as lighter fluid to an open flame. When you smoke the weed and get the munchies just stay away from the junk food. Eat whole foods. Fuel your body to heal, not the cancer.

I'm not sure if smoking weed every day is such a good idea after spending the last 5 minutes looking for Deacon's post.

When I get weed munchies, I want salty/crunchy. Peanuts are perfect, and a good source of protein.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(12-16-2017, 01:04 AM)snaxdelrio Wrote: I'm 6'2 180 at 36 years old and I don't feel skinny at all.

No offense intended, but you're right in the BMI wheelhouse for a good weight depending on your build. For cancer folks the issue is A, muscle tone goes away entirely so you look boney, B. The treatments cause your skin to dry up and sag, and C. Your color changes to yellow/gray. All those plus most lose their hair, so when you look in the mirror you see something out of Auschwitz. The physical changes are some of the most difficult emotional hurdles to overcome because anyone who looks at you knows you're sick.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-16-2017, 11:40 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I agree with Deacon 100%. Sugar to cancer is as lighter fluid to an open flame. When you smoke the weed and get the munchies just stay away from the junk food. Eat whole foods. Fuel your body to heal, not the cancer.

I'm not sure if smoking weed every day is such a good idea after spending the last 5 minutes looking for Deacon's post.

When I get weed munchies, I want salty/crunchy. Peanuts are perfect, and a good source of protein.

D'oh! I meant Caldrac's post.  Big Grin  Not sure why I said Deacon. I don't even have a good excuse like I smoked a bowl. Lol

(12-17-2017, 08:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 01:04 AM)snaxdelrio Wrote: I'm 6'2 180 at 36 years old and I don't feel skinny at all.

No offense intended, but you're right in the BMI wheelhouse for a good weight depending on your build. For cancer folks the issue is A, muscle tone goes away entirely so you look boney, B. The treatments cause your skin to dry up and sag, and C. Your color changes to yellow/gray. All those plus most lose their hair, so when you look in the mirror you see something out of Auschwitz. The physical changes are some of the most difficult emotional hurdles to overcome because anyone who looks at you knows you're sick.

I am trying to assure Dakota that 176 is ok I know he's sick and worried about losing so much weight. I probably worded it wrong.

(12-18-2017, 12:05 AM)snaxdelrio Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 08:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No offense intended, but you're right in the BMI wheelhouse for a good weight depending on your build. For cancer folks the issue is A, muscle tone goes away entirely so you look boney, B. The treatments cause your skin to dry up and sag, and C. Your color changes to yellow/gray. All those plus most lose their hair, so when you look in the mirror you see something out of Auschwitz. The physical changes are some of the most difficult emotional hurdles to overcome because anyone who looks at you knows you're sick.

I am trying to assure Dakota that 176 is ok I know he's sick and worried about losing so much weight. I probably worded it wrong.

I am 6'2" and had a very thick(not fat) frame. When I weighed 169, most people would have guessed I was 230 or 240. My doctors want me to be around 205 to 210.

I am close to being involuntarily admitted. I told them that if they were to do that, I would stop taking all of my meds. Needless to say, my doctors aren't very happy with me.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Here's hoping you can pack on a few pounds, bud. We're all still pulling for you.