Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Splitsville in Houston?

Per Peter King...

Quote:1. I think I can understand if the friction between GM Rick Smith and coach Bill O’Brien will lead to a split, with Smith staying and O’Brien leaving; CBS’ Jason LaCanfora reported sources telling him a split is imminent. O’Brien is a strong-willed guy, and I have always believed the Deshaun Watson pick as mostly Smith on an island picking a player he really wanted—and denuding the top two picks in the 2018 Houston draft as a byproduct. But I will just say this, as someone who has been around O’Brien and Watson: They’ve got a very good thing going. Without the injury to Watson, Houston would be in the playoff chase right now and Smith and O’Brien would live with their issues. Watson really respects O’Brien and I believe would be really disappointed if O’Brien leaves; he’s told people he doesn’t want to play for anyone else. Having said that, I also believe O’Brien would catapult close to the top of a few coaching searches if he gets dismissed at the end of the season. I don’t believe a split is certain, but...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/18/steele...peter-king

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And the Jags are going to keep on rolling!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I would love for the Texans to start over.

They have been down on Rick Smith forever, but I'm not sure why.

He brought in Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Duane Brown, etc. For the longest time, the only thing he hadn't done was bring in a franchise QB, but it looks like he did this year with Watson.

If they dump him, their team will suffer tremendously for it from a personnel standpoint.

Watson is on record saying he wants to keep O'Brien as coach. If they dump O'Brien, they may have to go to another offense, and Watson transitioning to another offense may stunt his development. I'm all for that.

I hope they fire both. Getting talent like them out of the division is a huge plus for us.

(12-19-2017, 05:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: I hope they fire both. Getting talent like them out of the division is a huge plus for us.

Agreed completely.  The part in bold is key.

It does us no good if either of them end up in Indy or tacktown.

BoB is over rated IMO.

They'd be nuts to fire O'Brien. As good as that team was with Watson, it's clearly an injury-wrecked team rather than one ruined by coaching. I won't complain at all if he's coaching in a different division next year, but the Texans would be nuts to fire him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ick-smith/

They made a few tactical bad decisions the last few years, but other than that, they've done well. Not looking at the impact of Duane Brown, keeping Cushing, letting AJ walk.

O'Brien is a good coach, IMO. Tough, smart, disciplined and now experienced. I'm all for letting him go out of the conference- I hope they make the mistake of firing him and he goes to the NYG.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I agree with the befuddlement concerning Rick Smith. They have a talented roster. Guys he drafted. Sometimes you tread water until a QB arrives.

O'Brien is ok I guess. I don't have strong feelings for him one way or another
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus