Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The first down that wasn't - Raiders/Cowboys game

In regards to the first down that was determined by the referee using a piece of paper to wedge between the first down marker and the football:

If the referee was able to insert anything between the first down marker and the football, doesn't that indicate that there is space between the football and the first down marker, thereby proving that the football did not reach the first-down marker? The referee called a first down after he had put the piece of paper between the ball and the marker. What am I missing?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nothing, not really sure what made people upset about this. Seemed like the right thing to do to me.

I haven't actually seen it to see if it seemed like there was any shadiness, but that seems like the correct way to make a close call.

(12-18-2017, 11:24 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: Nothing, not really sure what made people upset about this. Seemed like the right thing to do to me.

I haven't actually seen it to see if it seemed like there was any shadiness, but that seems like the correct way to make a close call.

Wait, I'm saying that by being able to put something between the ball and the marker indicates that he did not get a first down. The refs got it wrong

Reminds me of the Carolina/Michigan bowl game a few years ago: the play before Clowney's big hit. They measured and there were a CLEAR 2 links between the ball and first down and they still signaled first down. Spurrier went NUTS and the rest is history.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I think it was a bad spot to begin with, but that has nothing to do with what happened during the measurement. The folded piece of paper was pretty ridiculous. If this had happened to anybody besides Jack Del Rio, I probably would have been a little more upset, but now that makes it hilarious.

How about the non TD in the steeler game? Am I the only one that thought once the ball breaks the plain it’s a TD? I mean the dude was already on the ground prior to breaking the plain and was untouched.

(12-18-2017, 04:59 PM)Jags Wrote: How about the non TD in the steeler game?  Am I the only one that thought once the ball breaks the plain it’s a TD?  I mean the dude was already on the ground prior to breaking the plain and was untouched.

That applies for a RB where you see them jumping over a pile, then losing the ball (which is crap in my opinion). The Steeler game was a catch which they are saying was never completed.

(12-18-2017, 05:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 04:59 PM)Jags Wrote: How about the non TD in the steeler game?  Am I the only one that thought once the ball breaks the plain it’s a TD?  I mean the dude was already on the ground prior to breaking the plain and was untouched.

That applies for a RB where you see them jumping over a pile, then losing the ball (which is crap in my opinion). The Steeler game was a catch which they are saying was never completed.

I miss the simple days.

(12-18-2017, 06:04 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 05:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That applies for a RB where you see them jumping over a pile, then losing the ball (which is crap in my opinion). The Steeler game was a catch which they are saying was never completed.

I miss the simple days.

I agree. Not everything should be black and white. IMO, he made a move after securing the catch to go for the end zone, so I think it should have stood if you are applying common sense to the equation.

(12-18-2017, 11:32 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 11:24 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: Nothing, not really sure what made people upset about this.  Seemed like the right thing to do to me.

Wait, I'm saying that by being able to put something between the ball and the marker indicates that he did not get a first down. The refs got it wrong

Yeah I'd agree very dumb it makes no sense if you put something between like what?
No Fun

Steelers lost the game in everyway possible and I much rather face the Pats. Look... Steelers CB drops game winning INT.... Jesse James drops pass at goaline (its a drop)... Big Ben spike play while (throwing under his OC ) says its a fake spike and only one WR runs a route... it was the Steelers who lost it...

(12-19-2017, 03:01 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Steelers lost the game in everyway possible and I much rather face the Pats. Look... Steelers CB drops game winning INT.... Jesse James drops pass at goaline (its a drop)... Big Ben spike play while (throwing under his OC ) says its a fake spike and only one WR runs a route... it was the Steelers who lost it...

We should probably focus on our 1st round game first...

(12-19-2017, 09:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 03:01 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Steelers lost the game in everyway possible and I much rather face the Pats. Look... Steelers CB drops game winning INT.... Jesse James drops pass at goaline (its a drop)... Big Ben spike play while (throwing under his OC ) says its a fake spike and only one WR runs a route... it was the Steelers who lost it...

We should probably focus on our 1st round game first...

That's the beauty of being a fan; we don't have to focus on anything.  We can bounce off the walls and look weeks ahead or behind, and it doesn't do anything but give us something to talk about.

Conversely, the players need to be focused on the task at hand... Marrone's doing a great job of keeping them on point - Niners up next.