Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mock Draft Central

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 12:19 AM by ColoJag.)

Look at us we have almost made it to Christmas without starting a Mock Draft Thread!! Well, I am bored so I started looking pretty heavily into scouting and draft profiles. With that being said he is my mock for the Jags!!

Round 1: Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP, 6'3 330. Probably my favorite prospect in the draft plays with a mean streak, short, strong, absolute mauler, explosive off the line, and gets to the second level. A lot of people on here were banging the table for Lamp or Feeney after the last draft but they both did not fit our scheme. Hernandez definitely fits our scheme and if we don't want to resign Omameh or maybe move him to RG then Hernandez is a very plausible choice.

Round 2: Dallas Goedert, TE, SDSU, 6'4 260. Best tight end in the draft but probably won't be the first selected due to the small school problem. Watched tape on all the other tight ends and Goedert popped the most and I only watched the NDSU and TCU games which are 2 quality opponents. He has the athleticism to go downfield and make plays while also being an above average route-runner. Can stay inline and be a willing blocker and I'm sure Mercedes could help him. Andrews doesn't block and the Wisconsin guy pretty much only blocks. 

Round 3: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virgina, 6'4 215. I know many of you think that this QB class is top heavy and I agree with you all but a sleeper to get in the mid round is Kurt Benkert. He is completing 60 percent of his passes and has 25 TDs to 8 INTs on the year. From the games I have watched he seems to be a little bit of a gun-slinger who sometimes just launches one downfield or into tight coverage but he completes it still. He could work on reading a defense and his reads but pretty much every college QB needs that who doesn't run in a pro-style offense. 

Round 4: Deatrick Nichols, CB/NB, USF, 5'10 189. This is a very difficult position to scout across CFB because you are trying to find players that have a lot of snap in the Nickel but college teams are not deep enough to put a top corner in the Nickel Back position. From the tape I saw on Nichols he can get burned deep but around the line of scrimmage he is very physical and good with his hands. Also, he does not do well with jump balls but that because he is 5'10. Would love to see his combine scores for the 3 cone to see how quick he is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 12:34 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Goedert probably won't last until our pick in round 2. He'll either be the first or second TE taken in the draft. If we want him, we'll probably have to use our first rounder on him. Personally, I believe Will Hernandez is more likely to make it to our pick in round 2. I love both guys though. I'm not a fan at all of Benkert. I watched him play a couple times this year and he just looked meh. He would make some good throws and then he'd turn around and make some completely wild throws or take a sack when you could see the blitz coming a mile away. I question his football intelligence and that's something that cannot be coached. You either have it or you don't. I'd pass. \

As it stands now, I have us taking........

1. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State

2. Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis

3. Skyler Phillips, OG, Idaho State

4. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State

6. Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota

7. Nick DeLuca, LB, North Dakota State

7. Jarvion Franklin, RB, Western Michigan

(12-21-2017, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Goedert probably won't last until our pick in round 2. He'll either be the first or second TE taken in the draft. If we want him, we'll probably have to use our first rounder on him. Personally, I believe Will Hernandez is more likely to make it to our pick in round 2. I love both guys though. I'm not a fan at all of Benkert. I watched him play a couple times this year and he just looked meh. He would make some good throws and then he'd turn around and make some completely wild throws or take a sack when you could see the blitz coming a mile away. I question his football intelligence and that's something that cannot be coached. You either have it or you don't. I'd pass. \

Alright Gene Smith hahaha ;P I agree with you in your post except about Hernandez going in the 2nd. With Benkert, he definitely does make some bad decisions but then he will come back on the next drive and look really good so he was more of a project/stash guy who could learn for a year if we do let Bortles go. Goedert puzzles me because I see him mocked all the way from 1st to 6th and he is a tough one to read on where he is going to land. Some teams just will not take a TE in the 1st round kinda like how guards use to be.

(12-21-2017, 12:45 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Goedert probably won't last until our pick in round 2. He'll either be the first or second TE taken in the draft. If we want him, we'll probably have to use our first rounder on him. Personally, I believe Will Hernandez is more likely to make it to our pick in round 2. I love both guys though. I'm not a fan at all of Benkert. I watched him play a couple times this year and he just looked meh. He would make some good throws and then he'd turn around and make some completely wild throws or take a sack when you could see the blitz coming a mile away. I question his football intelligence and that's something that cannot be coached. You either have it or you don't. I'd pass. \

Alright Gene Smith hahaha ;P I agree with you in your post except about Hernandez going in the 2nd. With Benkert, he definitely does make some bad decisions but then he will come back on the next drive and look really good so he was more of a project/stash guy who could learn for a year if we do let Bortles go. Goedert puzzles me because I see him mocked all the way from 1st to 6th and he is a tough one to read on where he is going to land. Some teams just will not take a TE in the 1st round kinda like how guards use to be.

Personally, I think Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert both have a shot to be first round TE's. This is a fairly deep draft at OG, at least compared to the 2017 draft. I think you could snag a starter all the way into the 3rd or 4th round. As far as Benkert, I just wouldn't want to take a QB that erratic. We already have a starting QB that is up and down. I'd look for something a bit more consistent when drafting another one, even if he is a project. IMO, I'd rather take a QB who may be a bit more limited physically, but had a high football I.Q. and good instincts.

(12-21-2017, 12:18 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Look at us we have almost made it to Christmas without starting a Mock Draft Thread!! Well, I am bored so I started looking pretty heavily into scouting and draft profiles. With that being said he is my mock for the Jags!!

Round 1: Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP, 6'3 330. Probably my favorite prospect in the draft plays with a mean streak, short, strong, absolute mauler, explosive off the line, and gets to the second level. A lot of people on here were banging the table for Lamp or Feeney after the last draft but they both did not fit our scheme. Hernandez definitely fits our scheme and if we don't want to resign Omameh or maybe move him to RG then Hernandez is a very plausible choice.

Round 2: Dallas Goedert, TE, SDSU, 6'4 260. Best tight end in the draft but probably won't be the first selected due to the small school problem. Watched tape on all the other tight ends and Goedert popped the most and I only watched the NDSU and TCU games which are 2 quality opponents. He has the athleticism to go downfield and make plays while also being an above average route-runner. Can stay inline and be a willing blocker and I'm sure Mercedes could help him. Andrews doesn't block and the Wisconsin guy pretty much only blocks. 

Round 3: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virgina, 6'4 215. I know many of you think that this QB class is top heavy and I agree with you all but a sleeper to get in the mid round is Kurt Benkert. He is completing 60 percent of his passes and has 25 TDs to 8 INTs on the year. From the games I have watched he seems to be a little bit of a gun-slinger who sometimes just launches one downfield or into tight coverage but he completes it still. He could work on reading a defense and his reads but pretty much every college QB needs that who doesn't run in a pro-style offense. 

Round 4: Deatrick Nichols, CB/NB, USF, 5'10 189. This is a very difficult position to scout across CFB because you are trying to find players that have a lot of snap in the Nickel but college teams are not deep enough to put a top corner in the Nickel Back position. From the tape I saw on Nichols he can get burned deep but around the line of scrimmage he is very physical and good with his hands. Also, he does not do well with jump balls but that because he is 5'10. Would love to see his combine scores for the 3 cone to see how quick he is.
I really like your top 2 picks. Picking a guard in round 1 is always slightly questionable, but Hernandez would be a perfect fit as you said. The Jaguars need to keep upgrading the offensive line and Hernandez would be the best player at this spot late (hopefully 32) in round 1. Depending on how he performs at the combine and Senior Bowl, Goedert may not be available. If he's not, I believe Gesicki will be so he would be my 2nd choice.

It's hard for me to comment on your 3rd and 4th round picks since I haven't seen either guy, but I believe you are "spot on" when it comes to the positions you selected. I do believe there will be a good developmental q.b. in round 3 and expect Caldwell and Coughlin to find the right guy. Other possibilities are Ferguson, Falk, Finley, Stidham and Lock. Each of these guys have their pros and cons, however I believe there is a pretty good chance that at least one of them ends up starting for some NFL team. As far as finding a replacement for Colvin, I do think the Jaguars can find someone in round 4, even if they may need a little time to develop.

Technically a mock draft thread was started awhile back. Titled fanspeak. We've been mocking using their tool for a couple weeks playing around with it

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 11:04 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

1.) Mark Andrews - TE - Oklahoma
6'5" 254lb TE is the best all around TE in this years class. I think he could be our Kelce and add a new dimension to the offense that will really threaten opposing defenses. AR15/Cole/Dede/Andrews will burn teams that just want to focus on Fournette.

2.) Will Hernandez - OG - UTEP
6'3" 330 OG is a dominant run blocker. He might not last all the way to our 2nd round pick but there is a ton of guys I like here. Miller- WR, Ragnow - C, Ferguson - QB, Williams - OT

3.) Desmond Harrison - OT - West Georgia
6'7" 300lb OT is a mammoth and can take a year behind Parnell to season up and add some bulk to his frame. I really think this guy is the sleeper of the OL class. He is risky due to failed drug test at TX and that is what causes the fall.

4.) Bo Scarbrough - RB - Alabama
6'2" 236lb RB is a downhill physical runner to replace Ivory and take some of the load off Fournette.

Looks like a Gene Smith draft

Lol

Honestly won’t care about mock drafts this year considering it will be almost impossible to know who will be available to the Jags at 20+ than it is 4.

(12-21-2017, 01:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Looks like a Gene Smith draft

In what way? Taking the best available players? That doesn't seem to be a Gene Smith tactic to me. If all of the top QB's are off the board and OG Quenton Nelson and TE Mark Andrews are gone as well, (as I think they will be), that would make Goedert the best player on the board IMO. Ferguson is the only QB in this draft class outside of Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph that I would even want, so he's a must in round two, because like it or not, we need an option outside of Bortles, if he reverts to his 2016 form and we're not going to find that in free agency. I have a run on O-Linemen in round 2 and early in round 3, making Phillips the best available option. Wilson is the best receiver in this draft that nobody is talking about. He has size, speed, hands and was consistently dominant all season despite having a meh QB. Harris and DeLuca are small school guys, but have size, athleticism and showed consistency during the season that they could provide valuable depth at their positions while they develop. Franklin has the size, power and speed to be a solid backup for Fournette. At 6' and 225 lbs, he had over 1200 yards rushing this season and averaged 5.2 yards per carry with 11 touchdowns for a team mainly known for their passing game. He also has the wheels to break long runs as well. 

Please tell me, what makes this a Gene Smith draft? I believe it brings us at least 3 to 4 potential starters in the future and provides depth as well.

(12-21-2017, 07:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 01:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Looks like a Gene Smith draft

In what way? Taking the best available players? That doesn't seem to be a Gene Smith tactic to me. If all of the top QB's are off the board and OG Quenton Nelson and TE Mark Andrews are gone as well, (as I think they will be), that would make Goedert the best player on the board IMO. Ferguson is the only QB in this draft class outside of Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph that I would even want, so he's a must in round two, because like it or not, we need an option outside of Bortles, if he reverts to his 2016 form and we're not going to find that in free agency. I have a run on O-Linemen in round 2 and early in round 3, making Phillips the best available option. Wilson is the best receiver in this draft that nobody is talking about. He has size, speed, hands and was consistently dominant all season despite having a meh QB. Harris and DeLuca are small school guys, but have size, athleticism and showed consistency during the season that they could provide valuable depth at their positions while they develop. Franklin has the size, power and speed to be a solid backup for Fournette. At 6' and 225 lbs, he had over 1200 yards rushing this season and averaged 5.2 yards per carry with 11 touchdowns for a team mainly known for their passing game. He also has the wheels to break long runs as well. 

Please tell me, what makes this a Gene Smith draft? I believe it brings us at least 3 to 4 potential starters in the future and provides depth as well.

Its that the biggest schools you drafted from were Boise State and Memphis...Gene was known for going after small school guys...hence the comparison.

(12-21-2017, 07:38 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 07:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In what way? Taking the best available players? That doesn't seem to be a Gene Smith tactic to me. If all of the top QB's are off the board and OG Quenton Nelson and TE Mark Andrews are gone as well, (as I think they will be), that would make Goedert the best player on the board IMO. Ferguson is the only QB in this draft class outside of Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph that I would even want, so he's a must in round two, because like it or not, we need an option outside of Bortles, if he reverts to his 2016 form and we're not going to find that in free agency. I have a run on O-Linemen in round 2 and early in round 3, making Phillips the best available option. Wilson is the best receiver in this draft that nobody is talking about. He has size, speed, hands and was consistently dominant all season despite having a meh QB. Harris and DeLuca are small school guys, but have size, athleticism and showed consistency during the season that they could provide valuable depth at their positions while they develop. Franklin has the size, power and speed to be a solid backup for Fournette. At 6' and 225 lbs, he had over 1200 yards rushing this season and averaged 5.2 yards per carry with 11 touchdowns for a team mainly known for their passing game. He also has the wheels to break long runs as well. 

Its that the biggest schools you drafted from were Boise State and Memphis...Gene was known for going after small school guys...hence the comparison.

This

(12-21-2017, 07:38 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 07:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In what way? Taking the best available players? That doesn't seem to be a Gene Smith tactic to me. If all of the top QB's are off the board and OG Quenton Nelson and TE Mark Andrews are gone as well, (as I think they will be), that would make Goedert the best player on the board IMO. Ferguson is the only QB in this draft class outside of Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph that I would even want, so he's a must in round two, because like it or not, we need an option outside of Bortles, if he reverts to his 2016 form and we're not going to find that in free agency. I have a run on O-Linemen in round 2 and early in round 3, making Phillips the best available option. Wilson is the best receiver in this draft that nobody is talking about. He has size, speed, hands and was consistently dominant all season despite having a meh QB. Harris and DeLuca are small school guys, but have size, athleticism and showed consistency during the season that they could provide valuable depth at their positions while they develop. Franklin has the size, power and speed to be a solid backup for Fournette. At 6' and 225 lbs, he had over 1200 yards rushing this season and averaged 5.2 yards per carry with 11 touchdowns for a team mainly known for their passing game. He also has the wheels to break long runs as well. 

I guess I just look at the talent level left on the board and what school they come from is inconsequential. For instance, if I see a LB from a small school who can rush the passer, cover receivers and stop opposing rushers, I'd rather select him over a LB from a school like Notre Dame, who may be good at rushing the passer, pretty decent at stopping opposing rushers and lacks skills at covering receivers. In my mock, I really didn't intend to have us taking so many small school players. It's just how the board fell in my mock. If Mark Andrews would've been available in the first round, I would've had us drafting the Oklahoma TE. I had him selected by Buffalo with pick #22 though. If OG Quenton Nelson was available in round 1, I would've definitely had us taking him, but I have him going #9 to Denver. I don't think we can afford to pass on all the potential future starting QB's, so I had to give us Ferguson in round 2 and that limited our options at OG in round 3. With Nelson, Price, Hernandez, Ivey, Braden Smith, Cole, Malone, Ragnow, Wynn and Crowder all taken ahead of us, I had Phillips as the best OG on the board. I personally, believe Cedrick Wilson is the best WR in the draft that no one is talking about, so with the top WR's gone, his selection was a no-brainer for me. The last 3 picks were basically crap shoots. When you get that far into the draft you can either select small school stars or so-so big school guys. I didn't see any big school players left at positions of need, that impressed me that much so, I leaned the small school route. With Jarvion Franklin though, I wanted a bigger power back with breakaway speed, like a "poor man's" Leonard Fournette and he fit the description. 

I see the Smith comparison now, but believe me, it was completely unintended.

Ah, mock drafting. Pointless yet incredibly fun. I'm gonna put down two positions per round, because hey, why not? This mock draft is based on us keeping Blake or signing Cousins/Manning/anyone and tagging Allen Robinson. Either Hurns is kept or Lee is signed. Ivory gets cut ($$$ and fumbles). I think Keelan Cole is gonna be a solid WR (not a game changer) and I think Dede will contribute as well. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to know a bunch of guys for this mock, hence just the positions. When Coughlin ran the Giants/Jags he took someone on OL/DL in the first two rounds over 2/3 of the time. With our D-Line being the best in the league, I think we go O-Line.

1) OT/G...Parnell, Omameh, and Cann are all mediocre, and Parnell is overpaid. Somebody has go to go.
2) G/OT...Yup, I doubled down on O-Line. Give Fournette some room to run, and hopefully whoever is under center can make some throws to A-Rob and company. Hopefully we can force the D to only play with 7 in the box.
3) TE...An athletic TE to split off the line on PA plays would be nice, plus another red zone target aside from A-Rob would really help.
4) RB...Find a backup to Fournette. I think they'll cut Ivory and it'll be Yeldon's last year under contract. I doubt they resign Yeldon at the end of next year. Yeldon is solid catching the rock, but the guy can't carry it. Fournette is a glass cannon and we need somebody back there when he's hurt.
5) LB/CB...Poz is old and our depth at LB is atrocious. Colvin is gonna get paid somewhere else and that leaves open the nickel for grabs. I doubt a 5th rounder would be our nickel, but depth is depth.
6) LB/S... Depth. Still needed at LB/S
7) QB...Take a flier on somebody. Who cares. I know Khan said Blake is our guy, but he does't make those decisions. Plus, we're in the playoffs and Khan is stroking Blake's ego to probably make him feel comfortable. I know I would. I think we sign Cousins and keep Henne as the backup, but we need somebody better than Henne as QB2.

Well, that's my take.
BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

(01-05-2018, 04:25 AM)TheBmanCometh Wrote: Ah, mock drafting. Pointless yet incredibly fun. I'm gonna put down two positions per round, because hey, why not? This mock draft is based on us keeping Blake or signing Cousins/Manning/anyone and tagging Allen Robinson. Either Hurns is kept or Lee is signed. Ivory gets cut ($$$ and fumbles).  I think Keelan Cole is gonna be a solid WR (not a game changer) and I think Dede will contribute as well. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to know a bunch of guys for this mock, hence just the positions. When Coughlin ran the Giants/Jags he took someone on OL/DL in the first two rounds over 2/3 of the time. With our D-Line being the best in the league, I think we go O-Line.

1) OT/G...Parnell, Omameh, and Cann are all mediocre, and Parnell is overpaid. Somebody has go to go.
2) G/OT...Yup, I doubled down on O-Line. Give Fournette some room to run, and hopefully whoever is under center can make some throws to A-Rob and company. Hopefully we can force the D to only play with 7 in the box.
3) TE...An athletic TE to split off the line on PA plays would be nice, plus another red zone target aside from A-Rob would really help.
4) RB...Find a backup to Fournette. I think they'll cut Ivory and it'll be Yeldon's last year under contract. I doubt they resign Yeldon at the end of next year. Yeldon is solid catching the rock, but the guy can't carry it. Fournette is a glass cannon and we need somebody back there when he's hurt.
5) LB/CB...Poz is old and our depth at LB is atrocious. Colvin is gonna get paid somewhere else and that leaves open the nickel for grabs. I doubt a 5th rounder would be our nickel, but depth is depth.
7) QB...Take a flier on somebody. Who cares. I know Khan said Blake is our guy, but he does't make those decisions. Plus, we're in the playoffs and Khan is stroking Blake's ego to probably make him feel comfortable. I know I would. I think we sign Cousins and keep Henne as the backup, but we need somebody better than Henne as QB2.

Well, that's my take.
I lol'd

Parnell has been one of the better OL on the team and when he was out our OL fell off a cliff.  Parnell needs a back up to groom for the future but he isn't getting cut due to pay.

(01-05-2018, 11:00 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 04:25 AM)TheBmanCometh Wrote: Ah, mock drafting. Pointless yet incredibly fun. I'm gonna put down two positions per round, because hey, why not? This mock draft is based on us keeping Blake or signing Cousins/Manning/anyone and tagging Allen Robinson. Either Hurns is kept or Lee is signed. Ivory gets cut ($$$ and fumbles).  I think Keelan Cole is gonna be a solid WR (not a game changer) and I think Dede will contribute as well. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to know a bunch of guys for this mock, hence just the positions. When Coughlin ran the Giants/Jags he took someone on OL/DL in the first two rounds over 2/3 of the time. With our D-Line being the best in the league, I think we go O-Line.

Well, that's my take.
I lol'd

Parnell has been one of the better OL on the team and when he was out our OL fell off a cliff.  Parnell needs a back up to groom for the future but he isn't getting cut due to pay.

Omameh has played well too. It was quite noticeable when he was out.
Depth and Cann's replacement is what the OL needs.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM by JackCity.)

Omamehs a free agent this year. I think both him and Cann have played well all things considered but can be easily replaced this year. Need to draft a backup tackle too.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

My mock has changed significantly, but I can't post one until after the 15th. Too many underclassmen coming out and it's making my mock change every day.

(01-05-2018, 11:00 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:

Well, that's my take.
I lol'd

I lol'd at our O-Line today. Nothing for Fournette today. 21 attempts for 57 yards and finished the year with a poor 3.9 yards yards per carry. Get a new QB like I said and get some help at guard and right tackle. We went against the 29th rush defense in the league today and looked like crap
BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.