Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chiefs open to trading Smith

(01-07-2018, 06:57 PM)JNev Wrote: Chiefs don’t have much leverage. A 2nd should be enough if there’s no huge bidding war

Cleveland needs a QB and has plenty picks which are much higher.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he is gonna get cut this offseason or moved for a low pick. Guy is 35, and not a hall of fame level QB, you don't give high picks for that.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 12:42 AM by MalabarJag.)

(01-07-2018, 08:54 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I think he is gonna get cut this offseason or moved for a low pick. Guy is 35, and not a hall of fame level QB, you don't give high picks for that.

When the Chiefs traded for him they gave up a 1st.* Sure he was younger then, but he'd had only one good season at the time, after a failure of a career. The Raiders traded a first for Carson Palmer and Minnesota traded a first for Bradford. Smith may be 35, but he has been much better than they were in the last few years before the trades.

Smith would also come with a reasonably priced contract. If he's traded I doubt it would be for less than a mid-round 1st.

*EDIT: oops, actually two 2nd round picks, one of which was the 34th pick.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I wouldn't trade anything higher than a 3rd for him.

He's better than Bortles, but this year isn't reflective of his entire career. This was, by far, his best season.

(01-08-2018, 01:15 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I wouldn't trade anything higher than a 3rd for him.

He's better than Bortles, but this year isn't reflective of his entire career. This was, by far, his best season.

Can you name two quality WRs he's had to work with his entire time there? Even right now Hill is a 1 trick pony.

(01-10-2018, 11:38 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 01:15 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I wouldn't trade anything higher than a 3rd for him.

Can you name two quality WRs he's had to work with his entire time there? Even right now Hill is a 1 trick pony.

That 1-trick pony had almost 1,200 yards.

Kelce had 1,038 and may be the best TE in the league.

Hunt is one of the best pass-catching RBs and caught 455 yards.

Even without big named targets, he should average more than 2,700 yards a season as a QB.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 12:11 AM by JNev.)

(01-11-2018, 12:02 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 11:38 PM)JNev Wrote: Can you name two quality WRs he's had to work with his entire time there? Even right now Hill is a 1 trick pony.

That 1-trick pony had almost 1,200 yards.

Even without big named targets, he should average more than 2,700 yards a season as a QB.
Tyrek had more than 5 catches only 6 times. Hardly a stud WR. In 2016 their top WR had 593 yards and it was rookie Tyrek Hill. They've been pathetic at giving him weapons. Smith has had 7600+ yards his last two seasons. Don't give me this garbage 2700 yd stuff

(01-11-2018, 12:09 AM)JNev Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 12:02 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That 1-trick pony had almost 1,200 yards.

Tyrek had more than 5 catches only 6 times. Hardly a stud WR. In 2016 their top WR had 593 yards and it was rookie Tyrek Hill. They've been pathetic at giving him weapons. Smith has had 7600+ yards his last two seasons. Don't give me this garbage 2700 yd stuff

I didn’t know he needed a “stud” receiver to be a good quarterback. He was 7544, not. 7600+. Firstly, 5+ catches is respectable. Secondly, it’s funny you use 5 catches as a thresholds to support your argument. He had more than 5 catches 7 times not 6. If you include 5 catches then he had 11. Hill is a good receiver. 

These last season seasons are outliers for him. His accuracy is nice, but he isn’t worth a high draft pick.

A second rounder and Bortles. They’d get a backup with experience.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-11-2018, 12:15 PM)FBT Wrote: A second rounder and Bortles. They’d get a backup with experience.

Then that leaves us using a first or third on a QB
And 2 draft picks invested in the QB position.
And Bortles has a 19 mil tag, which is spendy for a back up.

Not sure I'm interested in trading for a QB.
But we definitely need to address QB, regardless of Sunday's outcome.

(01-11-2018, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 12:15 PM)FBT Wrote: A second rounder and Bortles. They’d get a backup with experience.

Then that leaves us using a first or third on a QB

The contract isn’t a worry if he’s open to reworking the deal to get more than one year. That shouldn’t be a deal breaker as his stock is going to warrant a pay cut.  

I don’t see how the team can keep him on the roster next year unless he wins the starting gig outright.  I think the team has already made at least preliminary decisions on his future.  Odds are there will be a new QB starting here next year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(01-11-2018, 07:37 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote: Then that leaves us using a first or third on a QB

The contract isn’t a worry if he’s open to reworking the deal to get more than one year. That shouldn’t be a deal breaker as his stock is going to warrant a pay cut.  

I don’t see how the team can keep him on the roster next year unless he wins the starting gig outright.  I think the team has already made at least preliminary decisions on his future.  Odds are there will be a new QB starting here next year.

That's fine with me as long as it doesn't cost us $19M a year or over and as long as it isn't Tyrod Taylor or Eli Manning. Those two would not represent much of an upgrade at all.

would love Smith in a Jag uni

(01-11-2018, 07:37 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote: Then that leaves us using a first or third on a QB

But Bortles doesn't have any reason to take less money or rework the deal. He's locked in to get that 19 mil. Unless we outright cut him.
Which if he bombs I suppose could happen. I just don't see anyone trading for Bortles and I don't see us extending him.

I have a sinking feeling in my gut we're sticking with Bortles next year. Fed lines like "will be better 2nd year in Hack's system" "will be better with healthy WRs" etc etc...
I just hope regardless we draft a guy.

(01-12-2018, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 07:37 PM)FBT Wrote: The contract isn’t a worry if he’s open to reworking the deal to get more than one year. That shouldn’t be a deal breaker as his stock is going to warrant a pay cut.  

But Bortles doesn't have any reason to take less money or rework the deal. He's locked in to get that 19 mil. Unless we outright cut him.
Which if he bombs I suppose could happen. I just don't see anyone trading for Bortles and I don't see us extending him.

I have a sinking feeling in my gut we're sticking with Bortles next year. Fed lines like "will be better 2nd year in Hack's system" "will be better with healthy WRs" etc etc...

He’s not locked in to get anything at this point. Barring an injury that would not allow him to pass a physical, the Jags could release him outright and suddenly he’s hoping for a backup role somewhere.  

Bortles won’t be the starter here next year unless he carries this team to a title. Even then, it’s probably a 50/50 thing.

Smith is exactly the QB we all want Blake to be. He completed 68% of his passes this year, can scramble and only threw 5 interceptions. Blake threw 5 in the last 2 games. Bring in Smith, bring back ARob and improve the guard position. That's what I would do.

(01-12-2018, 11:55 AM)FBT Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: But Bortles doesn't have any reason to take less money or rework the deal. He's locked in to get that 19 mil. Unless we outright cut him.

He’s not locked in to get anything at this point. Barring an injury that would not allow him to pass a physical, the Jags could release him outright and suddenly he’s hoping for a backup role somewhere.  

Bortles won’t be the starter here next year unless he carries this team to a title. Even then, it’s probably a 50/50 thing.

Bortles is the guy this team wants. They don't want to throw the ball and having a different QB won't change that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-12-2018, 11:55 AM)FBT Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: But Bortles doesn't have any reason to take less money or rework the deal. He's locked in to get that 19 mil. Unless we outright cut him.

The option is guaranteed starting the first day of the league year. Yeah we could cut him. But he has no reason to take a lesser deal. Pay me 19 mil or cut me.
Sure it's a gamble on his part, but on the market he'll still get 10 mil... I'd say the 9 mil is worth the gamble, if I'm him.

I don't see a sure-fire starting rookie QB being drafted outside the top 20.
And I personally would hate to throw a bunch of money at a FA that comes in a stinks it up.

(01-12-2018, 01:38 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 11:55 AM)FBT Wrote: He’s not locked in to get anything at this point. Barring an injury that would not allow him to pass a physical, the Jags could release him outright and suddenly he’s hoping for a backup role somewhere.  

The option is guaranteed starting the first day of the league year. Yeah we could cut him. But he has no reason to take a lesser deal. Pay me 19 mil or cut me.
Sure it's a gamble on his part, but on the market he'll still get 10 mil... I'd say the 9 mil is worth the gamble, if I'm him.

I don't see a sure-fire starting rookie QB being drafted outside the top 20.
And I personally would hate to throw a bunch of money at a FA that comes in a stinks it up.
Coughlin won’t sign a guy that isn’t an upgrade.

That right wrist on the injury report all year is gonna lock bort into that 19 mil.