Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chiefs open to trading Smith

(01-12-2018, 07:26 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:38 PM)Kane Wrote: The option is guaranteed starting the first day of the league year. Yeah we could cut him. But he has no reason to take a lesser deal. Pay me 19 mil or cut me.
Sure it's a gamble on his part, but on the market he'll still get 10 mil... I'd say the 9 mil is worth the gamble, if I'm him.

I don't see a sure-fire starting rookie QB being drafted outside the top 20.
And I personally would hate to throw a bunch of money at a FA that comes in a stinks it up.
Coughlin won’t sign a guy that isn’t an upgrade.

Now this I agree with.

If McCarron wins his grievance I would love to see him get a deal to compete with Bortles next year. A real young gun pushing Bortles from the 2 spot during his option year.
I realize this isn't a clear upgrade signing... But as a less risky deal than throwing the bank at some of these other fellas.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018, 12:03 PM by The Real Marty.)

(01-16-2018, 11:05 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 07:26 PM)FBT Wrote: Coughlin won’t sign a guy that isn’t an upgrade.

Now this I agree with.

If McCarron wins his grievance I would love to see him get a deal to compete with Bortles next year. A real young gun pushing Bortles from the 2 spot during his option year.
I realize this isn't a clear upgrade signing... But as a less risky deal than throwing the bank at some of these other fellas.

At this point, I feel like we just need to sign some competition.   That would be either a cheaper free agent, or a draft pick that can be developed.   Then we roll forward with Blake next year, with an improved offensive line and upgraded TE, and if he face-plants,  then we bring in the other guy.  But right now, Henne is not the right guy to be the backup.  We need an up and coming guy to be the backup. 

I'm kind of cooling off on the idea of signing a big time expensive free agent.   We've gotten this far in the playoffs, and we can upgrade some positions on offense.  

But if you look at the quarterbacks who are still playing, and the big name quarterbacks who are not still playing, and it just proves, there's more than one way to win football games.  The idea of forever chasing the next Tom Brady is really a waste of time.

Yeah he's 100% going to be here next year so no point debating the merits of that. He's done what was asked off him and played very well in one of the biggest games in Jaguars history.

What interests me now is what kind of backup they bring in.
Is it gonna be legit competition for Blake for next year or is it gonna simply be a Cody Kessler type backup who can start in a pinch but not really threaten anyone for the starting job.

The best option to me would be to draft a quarterback in the top 3 rounds, more likely round 2 or 3. They should still get a good developmental guy. If Blake got hurt, they could probably find a reasonably priced veteran still on the market.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM by Setsuna00.)

If we get Smith I will seriously consider no longer being a Jags fan. He is hot garbage. He scored 0 points against the Titans in the second half. He's lost his competitive edge.

(01-12-2018, 12:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Smith is exactly the QB we all want Blake to be. He completed 68% of his passes this year, can scramble and only threw 5 interceptions. Blake threw 5 in the last 2 games. Bring in Smith, bring back ARob and improve the guard position. That's what I would do.

We want him to be 34 years old? Get out of here with this crap. Smith will set us back 5 years while our defensive talent decays because we have a dead weight broke dick QB on our hands.

(01-06-2018, 02:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: I'd be down for this.  Smith was league leading passer with Kelce and Hill.  He'd feast with ARob, Hurns, and Westbrook.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-offseason

You aren't seriously comparing 3 top 5 players at their position to the average WRs we have? Are you high?

(01-25-2018, 07:34 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: If we get Smith I will seriously consider no longer being a Jags fan. He is hot garbage. He scored 0 points against the Titans in the second half. He's lost his competitive edge.

(01-12-2018, 12:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Smith is exactly the QB we all want Blake to be. He completed 68% of his passes this year, can scramble and only threw 5 interceptions. Blake threw 5 in the last 2 games. Bring in Smith, bring back ARob and improve the guard position. That's what I would do.

We want him to be 34 years old? Get out of here with this crap. Smith will set us back 5 years while our defensive talent decays because we have a dead weight broke dick QB on our hands.
Hahahaha

If you we get Smith you’ll quit?! Loser.

(01-25-2018, 07:34 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: If we get Smith I will seriously consider no longer being a Jags fan. He is hot garbage. He scored 0 points against the Titans in the second half. He's lost his competitive edge.

Well if you are a Jags fan you probably should want him at 40yrs old. If Smith was your QB in the last game, you would be playing for the title next week. Smith is criminally underrated. He took out Brees in the playoffs with SF and with one capable receiver, lost to the Giants and missed the Super Bowl because of two fumbles by the return man. Then Harbauch went with his guy as Smith got hurt. 

At KC he had a 4td 380 yard game vs Indy, but I guess it’s his fault when his team gives up 45 points. I won’t even mention the ridiculous play callling against the Titans after Kelce got hurt. 

It’s pretty simple: do you want to stick to a feel good story or win the Super Bowl? For most teams that window closes fast, and as good as your D is it’s not even close to the level of the Ravens when they won with Dilfer. Blake seems like a great guy, but I’d rather win something than be a lovable loser.

(01-07-2018, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. That's too much.

He is absolutely worth a late first round pick. I doubt that would be enough from KC's perspective.

EDIT: I'm a Bortles fan. But if the coaching staff doesn't trust Bortles then it would be a mistake to not look at a trade for Alex Smith.

He's 33...If we are going to get a new QB, don't get one in the twilight of his career...We don't need a stop gap for a couple years, we need the long term answer and a 33 year old QB aint it

(01-28-2018, 05:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote: He's 33...If we are going to get a new QB, don't get one in the twilight of his career...We don't need a stop gap for a couple years, we need the long term answer and a 33 year old QB aint it

We're in QB purgatory now. You don't just snap your fingers and find a long term franchise QB anymore. You have to acquire old guys like Smith, or good but overpaid guys like Cousins, or pray that the very limited guy you have seen for 4 years already magically has another gear in him, or gamble on a rookie that at least 85% of the league already passed on once (or more for the people who want to wait until later to draft a QB).

There aren't any ideal options anymore. No matter what happens there are going to be serious warts.

Any shot at Brees to help make a run for the next 2 years?
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 10:43 PM by wrong_box.)

(01-28-2018, 09:33 PM)Spots Wrote: Any shot at Brees to help make a run for the next 2 years?

Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for a 2 year stop gap,they are looking for the long term answer

(01-28-2018, 08:56 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 05:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote: He's 33...If we are going to get a new QB, don't get one in the twilight of his career...We don't need a stop gap for a couple years, we need the long term answer and a 33 year old QB aint it

We're in QB purgatory now. You don't just snap your fingers and find a long term franchise QB anymore. You have to acquire old guys like Smith, or good but overpaid guys like Cousins, or pray that the very limited guy you have seen for 4 years already magically has another gear in him, or gamble on a rookie that at least 85% of the league already passed on once (or more for the people who want to wait until later to draft a QB).

There aren't any ideal options anymore. No matter what happens there are going to be serious warts.

thats why you dance with the one who brought you to the dance! When you find the long term answer then you jump ship, but you dont want a different QB every couple years...Bortles got us to the AFC championship game, he can be serviceable until the long term answer is found

We are not in QB purgatory, some may think so, but we aren't...Can we upgrade at QB? Sure if there is a young stud available, not someone who is old before we get him...

(01-28-2018, 10:29 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 09:33 PM)Spots Wrote: Any shot at Brees to help make a run for the next 2 years?

Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for a 2 year stop gap,they are looking for the long term answer

(01-28-2018, 08:56 PM)Upper Wrote: We're in QB purgatory now. You don't just snap your fingers and find a long term franchise QB anymore. You have to acquire old guys like Smith, or good but overpaid guys like Cousins, or pray that the very limited guy you have seen for 4 years already magically has another gear in him, or gamble on a rookie that at least 85% of the league already passed on once (or more for the people who want to wait until later to draft a QB).

thats why you dance with the one who brought you to the dance! When you find the long term answer then you jump ship, but you dont want a different QB every couple years...Bortles got us to the AFC championship game, he can be serviceable until the long term answer is found

Our defense got us to the AFCC. Bortles came along for the ride and played just well enough not to screw it up.

Just starting facts here. I truly wish he was better.

(01-28-2018, 10:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:29 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for a 2 year stop gap,they are looking for the long term answer

Our defense got us to the AFCC. Bortles came along for the ride and played just well enough not to screw it up.

The defense didnt score all those points and throw all those yards...I'm not defending Bortles, but gotta give credit where it's due...Bortles had some very good games this year, had some crappy ones too, but all in all he did enough to merit being called at least serviceable

(01-28-2018, 10:47 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Our defense got us to the AFCC. Bortles came along for the ride and played just well enough not to screw it up.

The defense didnt score all those points and throw all those yards...I'm not defending Bortles, but gotta give credit where it's due...Bortles had some very good games this year, had some crappy ones too, but all in all he did enough to merit being called at least serviceable

We had the perfect combination of soft schedule, some luck, and Bortles not being a turnover machine. To expect all of that to happen again wouldn't be good. We need to get better, and that starts with QB.

I would be shocked if TC didn't make a run at Smith.

(01-28-2018, 10:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:47 PM)wrong_box Wrote: The defense didnt score all those points and throw all those yards...I'm not defending Bortles, but gotta give credit where it's due...Bortles had some very good games this year, had some crappy ones too, but all in all he did enough to merit being called at least serviceable

We had the perfect combination of soft schedule, some luck, and Bortles not being a turnover machine. To expect all of that to happen again wouldn't be good. We need to get better, and that starts with QB.

No chance...They won't get anything they dont see as a long term answer...Their perception is much different than yours and they won't bring in an old QB that might not really even be an upgrade...They will draft a new QB when they find one they think is a clear upgrade and the QB of the foreseeable future, not a stop gap

(01-28-2018, 10:54 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: We had the perfect combination of soft schedule, some luck, and Bortles not being a turnover machine. To expect all of that to happen again wouldn't be good. We need to get better, and that starts with QB.

No chance...They won't get anything they dont see as a long term answer...Their perception is much different than yours and they won't bring in an old QB that might not really even be an upgrade...They will draft a new QB when they find one they think is a clear upgrade and the QB of the foreseeable future, not a stop gap

With all due respect, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are "old". Alex Smith is 33.

I believe they will draft a QB, but I dint think he will be backing up BB.

We shall know soon!

(01-28-2018, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:54 PM)wrong_box Wrote: No chance...They won't get anything they dont see as a long term answer...Their perception is much different than yours and they won't bring in an old QB that might not really even be an upgrade...They will draft a new QB when they find one they think is a clear upgrade and the QB of the foreseeable future, not a stop gap

With all due respect, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are "old". Alex Smith is 33.

I believe they will draft a QB, but I dint think he will be backing up BB.

We shall know soon!

33 is old in the NFL, I think Blake will be the starter next year with a new guy waiting in the wings just like he was supposed to do

I’ll roll with Bortles over Smith at this point and hope Bortles can keep ironing out his mechanics.

We need help at TE and inside the O line. Nothing more than a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year, a 2 pick trade would probably do it. It is not worth giving away a top 2 pick in a draft you're already down 1 pick. Plus he is older, 33 I think. I would not mortgage a 1st or 2nd rounder, your future, for an average, aging QB. Blake is basically an average QB who struggles with consistency. I think the only "old" Qb I'd take is Brees. Cousins is 29 I think, so I can deal with that.