Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Would 2007 Garrard take this team all the way?

Everyone keeps criticizing Bortles, but in reality he made plays with his legs to win in the playoffs much like Garrard did a decade ago against the Steelers. If 2007 Garrard was placed at the helm of this team, is that enough of an improvement to complete the run?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2018, 07:27 PM)Firesky Wrote: Everyone keeps criticizing Bortles, but in reality he made plays with his legs to win in the playoffs much like Garrard did a decade ago against the Steelers. If 2007 Garrard was placed at the helm of this team, is that enough of an improvement to complete the run?

Bortles needs to learn that he is a quarterback, not running back. That's when he loses his mind.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Everyone seems to forget that Garrard was terrible in the playoff game in Pittsburgh, they won that game thanks to one decent pass and Garrard running for a first down on 4th and 2.

(01-07-2018, 07:29 PM)Dakota Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 07:27 PM)Firesky Wrote: Everyone keeps criticizing Bortles, but in reality he made plays with his legs to win in the playoffs much like Garrard did a decade ago against the Steelers. If 2007 Garrard was placed at the helm of this team, is that enough of an improvement to complete the run?

Bortles needs to learn that he is a quarterback, not running back. That's when he loses his mind.

Bortles is a much better runner than he is a passer.

I would FORCE him to run more if I were the coach.

No Garrard and Bortles arent that different. Garrard never had big passing games and had luxury of Taylor, MJD a young lewis etc

They were/are both average starters

(01-07-2018, 07:27 PM)ÒFiresky Wrote: Everyone keeps criticizing Bortles, but in reality he made plays with his legs to win in the playoffs much like Garrard did a decade ago against the Steelers. If 2007 Garrard was placed at the helm of this team, is that enough of an improvement to complete the run?

Maybe... A better chance than Bortles.

Garrard was better than most here will ever give him credit for. I don't know why I'm so jaded about Bortles.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Why not run your qb when you are 2 wins from superbowl?

Garrard was average and essentially had one above average year. He was flawed like Bortlea is and like all non hall of fame qbs are. Bortles way better deep thrower. Garrard better at protecting the ball. But im sure Bortles would look better with the 07 run game.

2007 Garrard would not take this team all the way, and here's why.....

He had 18 TDs and 3 int's that year. He was afraid to throw deep. He was great at throwing the slant. But horrible on his deep stuff.

Bortles has a gunslinger mentality. He will make throws that your not supposed to throw, which sometimes works out. But atleast he is a risk taker.

Doug has dialed him back alot. But no. Garrard had a top 5 defense, MJD, and Taylor.

NO!

The offensive line from the 2007 team was significantly better than the current Jags starting o-line now, but the wide receivers were significantly worse than the wide receivers we have now. Garrard was the more consistent QB in my opinion, but Blake always seems to flash enough to make you keep believing he can be special....until he screws it up somehow.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

Possibly. He’s light years more than what Bortles is at the moment

Yes. But I don't see how that is relevant to what we're doing currently. We just need someone that can be average and remotely consistent. Where our QB doesn't have more rushing yards than passing yards.
No pain, no gain.

Anyone forget that bortles got this team to a south title and a home playoff game, even garrad had not done that. Bortles upside is.much higher. He is also throwing to rookies these past three weeks.

I think next week with more practice reps for Lee and hurns we see a different team.

Bortles has more TDs in his worst season then Garrard in his best. Think about that.
Jags 4 Life

Nope. No QB we have ever had was good enough. If they were, they would have won it while they were playing. Bortles and DG are the same guy. Mobile guy who can't make all of the throws on a regular basis. One struggled with the deep stuff, the other one struggles in the short game.

(01-08-2018, 04:52 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Nope. No QB we have ever had was good enough. If they were, they would have won it while they were playing. Bortles and DG are the same guy. Mobile guy who can't make all of the throws on a regular basis. One struggled with the deep stuff, the other one struggles in the short game.

Pretty sure Bortles is still playing..

I was quick to reply yes, but everyone here has raised such good points.
But, I will say Garrard was exceptional against New England, if he had the WR core that we currently have, we probably win that game.

Garrard wasn’t that great against Pitt, so hopefully that’s a sign that Blake will play lights out next week!

Brunell very well could have, Garrard would be slightly better but not difference making better.

What if we took Earl Thomas over Alualu?..

What would have happened if we took JJ Watt instead of Gabbert?..

Kinda irony that both of those players were both taken with our 10th overall pick(yea we traded up for the Gabbert pick) in back to back years, but the example is all the same..

Hindsight is always 20/20, (and yes this hindsight is awful considering we easily could of had both of those beasts) but dwelling on the past doesn't help anything and making assumptions definitely don't.

Today's NFL is very different than the 2007 NFL.

(01-08-2018, 05:02 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 04:52 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Nope. No QB we have ever had was good enough. If they were, they would have won it while they were playing. Bortles and DG are the same guy. Mobile guy who can't make all of the throws on a regular basis. One struggled with the deep stuff, the other one struggles in the short game.

Pretty sure Bortles is still playing..

NO WAY!? Really? WOW! Thank you for this! I had no clue he was still playing, maybe... JUST MAYBE, I just think he could never carry a team to a title. It couldn't be I was answering the OP, and referring to our current QB as well, being unable to carry a team to a title. Thank you again! I am so embarrassed for my mental lapse!