Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NY Post writer says Jags need Eli

(01-08-2018, 10:36 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: No thanks to Eli at this point in his career.  By all means, Replace Bortles.  Just do it with someone worth it.  I'd take Alex Smith over Eli Manning, and I wouldn't particularly want Alex Smith.

Cousins and/or Draft Pick.  That's our best shot I think.

My only concern with draft pick is the window of our dominant defense closing while developing a rookie. I kind of look at it from an Elway/Manning situation. Not implying we would get a guy of Manning caliber, but you know what I am saying..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM by Upper.)

I do think Eli would give us a little bit better of a chance to win than Bortles, but he would be at best like the 4th or 5th best option that should be available. I can definitely see Couglin wanting to bring him in though.

If we bring in Cousins we don't need to draft a QB early. If it's Alex Smith, Eli, Tyrod, Keenum/Bridgewater loser, Bradford, Bortles on the 5th year option...anything but Cousins and we need to make sure we draft a QB. Hopefully in a trade up.

(01-08-2018, 10:41 AM)Upper Wrote: I do think Eli would give us a little bit better of a chance to win than Bortles, but he would be at best like the 4th or 5th best option that should be available. I can definitely see Couglin wanting to bring him in though.

If we bring in Cousins we don't need to draft a QB early. If it's Alex Smith, Eli, Tyrod, Keenum/Bridgewater loser, Bradford, Bortles on the 5th year option...anything but Cousins and we need to make sure we draft a QB. Hopefully in a trade up.

Tyrod, Keenum & Bradford aren't even on my radar. I hope they aren't on the brass' radar either. Bridgewater is interesting because I wanted to draft him, but concerns about his durability were always there, and nobody really knows how he will come off of this injury. If we can have him for cheap, maybe.

Alex Smith & Eli make the most sense IMO from a Jaguar need/former team wanting to move in a different direction approach. Not sure what will happen with Cousins, but I wouldn't sell the farm for him.

I'm not a fan of bringing in any high priced free agent QB. I really want to draft one of the talented QB's in this class (Rudolph, Mayfield or Rosen). I believe 1, 2 or possibly 3 might be able to have the same effect on their new team that Carson Wentz has had on the Eagles. With that said, if we did go after a veteran QB, I certainly wouldn't want an old run down QB "turnover machine" like Eli Manning or an overrated, mediocre QB like Kirk Cousins or Tyrod Taylor. Instead, I'd go after Alex Smith. He has always been good at protecting the football and finally, when the Chiefs took the reigns off the guy this year and let him fling the ball around, he excelled. I'd still rather save the cap money though and build the QB position via the draft.

I truly believe we need a viable weapon at TE to help our offense in round 1. I'm a big fan of Dallas Goedert and think he will end up the best TE in the draft. However, if for some reason QB's like Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen are still on the board, you HAVE to take the QB.

(01-08-2018, 12:26 PM)JAGMAJIK Wrote: I truly believe we need a viable weapon at TE to help our offense in round 1. I'm a big fan of Dallas Goedert and think he will end up the best TE in the draft. However, if for some reason QB's like Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen are still on the board, you HAVE to take the QB.

I'd take Goedert over Jackson and Allen any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I agree that QB is a huge need for this team and there are some good ones in this draft, but Jackson and Allen certainly won't help us.

(01-08-2018, 07:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 11:28 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: Agree... Plus with Eli, you have to deal with his daddy. I would hate to see Marrone bench Eli, and end up losing his job because of it. 

We don't need Eli's daddy running things in Jacksonville.

You're vastly exaggerating Archie Manning's influence.

That, and I don't see Tom Coughlin letting that crap happen.

(01-08-2018, 07:24 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 06:28 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: If you can't see that Alex Smith is a clear cut upgrade to Blake Bortles, there is probably an eye glass store nearby you can go get your eyes examined so you can actually see the difference in QB play. 67.5% 2017 completion percentage, takes care of the ball, can hit the deep ball better than Blake, scores more tds, throws less picks, and is also mobile. He wasn't the issue in the Titans game. We get a QB to throw 72.7  competition %, 264 yards and 2 TDs/0 ints on our team vs Tennessee, we aren't losing that game. I guarantee the run game would benefit greatly from a guy like Alex Smith. You can't be serious. 

Blake had 4 games with multiple ints, and 5 games with 2 tds or more in 16 games. He also threw 5 less TDs. 

Smith had 7 games with 2 tds or more, and only 1 game with multiple ints in 15 games. 

Smith 26 TD 5 INT 4042 YDS 104.7 Rating. (15GP)
Bortles 21 TD 13 INT 3687 YDS 84.7 Rating (16GP)

Its a no brainer, maybe you are missing the required organ to make it a no brainer.

Alex Smith threw for an entire grand total of 70 yards in the 2nd half of that game vs the tacks.... He had a great first quarter, nobody denies that, but he completely crumbled after that 1st quarter..

And you continue to reach by saying "if you can't see blah blah blah is a clear upgrade over Bortles blah blah blah". I never said anything about Bortles.. You really need to stop assuming things, especially considering the fact that Smith is about to be bounced from his 2nd team, even after they reached the playoffs.. How is that not an obvious sign?

Also, Smith is 33 years old... Bortles is 25 years old... I'd like to hope that Smith is at least slightly ahead of Bortles in development at this point in time.

The loss wasn't Alex Smith's fault. Go back and watch the dropped passes from tyreke hill, one other, and the play calling.

Smith was sharp enough to give them a nice lead. The defense, drops, and playcalling cost the chiefs that game. If Alex Smith was on the jags vs the bills, we would have won by 3 scores.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Lamar could play another position better than Goedert let alone what he could do at QB.