Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaylen Samuels - The SuperBack

Yo, I know we're way deep in the playoff run and the draft is far away but I wrote 1,500 words with gifs on my favorite prospect in this years draft, N.C States Jaylen Samuels.   

He's a TE/WR/RB hybrid with tons of production, would fit in perfectly with what we need.  

Have a look and all feedback good and bad  (especially bad ) is welcome. Hoping to do more of them but I am quite lazy.  

https://jackjaguars.wordpress.com/2018/0...n-samuels/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 06:44 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I like Samuels a lot, but he really has no true position. He's built like a RB, yet he's not a true runner. He's listed as a TE, but he's way too short to play there in the NFL, yet he's a fantastic receiver. Personally, I see him as a "Swiss Army Knife" type FB. He reminds me a bit of former NFL FB, Larry Centers. Like Centers he wasn't a true rusher, yet could be effective in spots and both are/were extremely effective pass catchers. I think who ever drafts him could revolutionize the FB position, if he is used correctly. If I were him, I would work hard on my blocking skills, because he's good enough at other aspects of the game. I believe he will be drafted somewhere in the 4th to 5th round range.

(01-08-2018, 06:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I like Samuels a lot, but he really has no true position. He's built like a RB, yet he's not a true runner. He's listed as a TE, but he's way too short to play there in the NFL, yet he's a fantastic receiver. Personally, I see him as a "Swiss Army Knife" type FB. He reminds me a bit of former NFL FB, Larry Centers. Like Centers he wasn't a true rusher, yet could be effective in spots and both are/were extremely effective pass catchers. I think who ever drafts him could revolutionize the FB position, if he is used correctly. If I were him, I would work hard on my blocking skills, because he's good enough at other aspects of the game. I believe he will be drafted somewhere in the 4th to 5th round range.

He's more so a big slot and receiving back than a fullback. Very good receiver but needs a good OC to maximise him. 

Yup mentioned in the piece the blocking improving has to happen if he wants to get on the field early.  

2nd/3rd more likely for him once the draft cycle is finished.

I like him a lot, i dont know where he will play but i know that he'd be a huge asset to have in any offense and gives you the ability to be really creative within your offense. im intrigued by what his numbers are. id love to have a player like him on my offense. would be a good rd 3 or 4 pick up.

(01-09-2018, 07:20 PM)1griff2 Wrote: I like him a lot, i dont know where he will play but i know that he'd be a huge asset to have in any offense and gives you the ability to be really creative within your offense. im intrigued by what his numbers are. id love to have a player like him on my offense. would be a good rd 3 or 4 pick up.

He'd instantly make every offense better through his sheer versatility.   

I'd say he runs 4.6/4.7 or so. Probably not a crazy athlete but on the field he doesn't have any trouble beating guys for speed.

His speed is listed at around 4.75. Combine that with his small stature and below average blocking ability and I see him making it to the beginning of day 3 (4th round). That being said, he's the kind of player that the Jags can now afford to take a risk on. He is so versatile and would be a great 3rd down back at the least to start his career. Blocking must improve enough, however, to use him in this way. He is not going to be a tight end, which is where some have him listed, but I could also see him in the slot. The kid seems to have the "it" factor and would be an outstanding 4th round pick.

(01-09-2018, 10:44 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: His speed is listed at around 4.75. Combine that with his small stature and below average blocking ability and I see him making it to the beginning of day 3 (4th round). That being said, he's the kind of player that the Jags can now afford to take a risk on. He is so versatile and would be a great 3rd down back at the least to start his career. Blocking must improve enough,  however, to use him in this way. He is not going to be a tight end, which is where some have him listed, but I could also see him in the slot. The kid seems to have the "it" factor and would be an outstanding 4th round pick.

His size is fine for the kind of player he is , nobody should really call him a TE because it doesn't do him justice. 

Yeah he'd be an outrageous steal in the 4th. Follow the senior bowl this year and you'll hear his name a ton. Rumours are he's being considered around the 2nd which seems about right.  

I think he's about 4.6/4.7 , running a 4.8 could hurt him bad.

Reminds me of a young(niner) Delanie Walker

(01-11-2018, 03:16 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Reminds me of a young(niner) Delanie Walker

Yup that's my main comp for him.

He's definitely built like Centers. Walker has a couple inches/pounds on him. Nothing some time in an NFL weight room couldn't fix. He definitely seems like a swiss army guy. I'd be interested in giving him a spot and let him figure it out.

Side note: He came out of Mallard Creek HS in Charlotte, one of my HS when I recruited. Same school Marquise Williams(UNC QB) and DJ Humphries (OT from AZ Cardinals) went to. Definitely a powerhouse program.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(01-11-2018, 03:16 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Reminds me of a young(niner) Delanie Walker

Walker is like a full 3 inches taller. That's a pretty big difference.

(01-11-2018, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

2 inches.  Delanie is 6'2 and Jaylen is 6'0

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM by JackCity.)

(01-11-2018, 04:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: He's definitely built like Centers.  Walker has a couple inches/pounds on him.  Nothing some time in an NFL weight room couldn't fix.  He definitely seems like a swiss army guy.  I'd be interested in giving him a spot and let him figure it out.

Side note:  He came out of Mallard Creek HS in Charlotte, one of my HS when I recruited.  Same school Marquise Williams(UNC QB) and DJ Humphries (OT from AZ Cardinals) went to.  Definitely a powerhouse program.

Mentioned Mallard Creek in the bio. He actually ended up at N.C State due to a connection between their coach and the N.C States new coach Dave Doreen.

(01-11-2018, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Walker was an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier coming out. Playstyle is very similar as prospects. Walker eventually developed into a true all round tight end once he learned how to block correctly. Even with that Samuels won't be inline as much as Walker.

(01-11-2018, 05:01 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 04:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: He's definitely built like Centers.  Walker has a couple inches/pounds on him.  Nothing some time in an NFL weight room couldn't fix.  He definitely seems like a swiss army guy.  I'd be interested in giving him a spot and let him figure it out.

Side note:  He came out of Mallard Creek HS in Charlotte, one of my HS when I recruited.  Same school Marquise Williams(UNC QB) and DJ Humphries (OT from AZ Cardinals) went to.  Definitely a powerhouse program.

Mentioned Mallard Creek in the bio. He actually ended up at N.C State due to a connection between their coach and the N.C States new coach Dave Doreen.

(01-11-2018, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Walker is like a full 3 inches taller. That's a pretty big difference.

Walker was an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier coming out. Playstyle is very similar as prospects. Walker eventually developed into a true all round tight end once he learned how to block correctly. Even with that Samuels won't be inline as much as Walker.

Saw that...just wanted to give extra love to Mallard Creek.

(01-11-2018, 04:58 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Walker is like a full 3 inches taller. That's a pretty big difference.

2 inches.  Delanie is 6'2 and Jaylen is 6'0

Samuels is listed at 5'11" on the N.C. State football website and Walker is listed at 6'2" on the Titans website.

Seems like a Belichick guy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Apparently has been one of the best running backs at the Senior Bowl and all the teams have wanted him to play there.

(01-08-2018, 05:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yo, I know we're way deep in the playoff run and the draft is far away but I wrote 1,500 words with gifs on my favorite prospect in this years draft, N.C States Jaylen Samuels.   

He's a TE/WR/RB hybrid with tons of production, would fit in perfectly with what we need.  

Have a look and all feedback good and bad  (especially bad ) is welcome. Hoping to do more of them but I am quite lazy.  

https://jackjaguars.wordpress.com/2018/0...n-samuels/

Hi. Good to see Jaylen Samuels being discussed. His PR people at NC St. use the term Swiss Army Knife to describe him.

My comparison is actually Denver/Baltimore TE Shannon Sharpe. I realize size-wise it's not even close, but in terms of play-making and clutch play, Jaylen is very similar. He is also a good match to Shannon in versatility and comparable in the one on one match up challenges for the opposing defensive coordinator.

Some are high on the sprint TEs in this draft. I think Jaylen represents a much better value as he is also a pretty impressive, seasoned ball carrier and poses a threat in the short passing game and screen pass play.

Personally, I see him as a pass catching FB/H-Back type. He's certainly too short to be an every down TE, but as a pass catching FB, he's perfect.

(02-12-2018, 10:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I see him as a pass catching FB/H-Back type. He's certainly too short to be an every down TE, but as a pass catching FB, he's perfect.

Jaylen sized up pretty well at the Senior Bowl. Unlike a typical H-back, Samuels has running back skills. He can be a plow-horse and he does have exceptional agility as a ball carrier. 4.6 speed listing. He may run faster at the Combine. 

His clutch play-making skill is his selling point. If possible, you should take a look as how NC State featured him against Florida State's defense, which featured potential top ten first round prospect Kerwin James and 1st round fringe prospect Tarvarus McFadden.

Samuels is quite a football player.