Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Bortles: If they come after LeBron, they'll come for me

Bortles: If they come after LeBron, they'll come after me

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...e-after-me

Blake Bortles has been the butt of many jokes around the NFL this season. On Sunday, he has a chance to possibly change that going forward if he plays well vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's hard to argue with his logic
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I don't get why everyone talks crap about him. There are worse QBs than him; is he a jerk to opposing players or something?

(01-11-2018, 09:27 PM)jjgator Wrote: I don't get why everyone talks crap about him. There are worse QBs than him; is he a jerk to opposing players or something?

Yes, he makes them look bad when they play against him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He understands all of the negative comments towards him.  It appears that it doesn't bother him which is a good thing.  While I don't think that he and LeBron James is a good comparison, I get what he's saying.  It doesn't matter how much the media or fans (including fans of his own team) say how much he sucks.  His team went 10-6 on the season and won a playoff game.  Better quarterbacks than him are watching the playoffs at home rather than actually... playing in the playoffs.

Pundits can say what they want, but he is part of the reason the team is where they are.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-11-2018, 09:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: He understands all of the negative comments towards him.  It appears that it doesn't bother him which is a good thing.  While I don't think that he and LeBron James is a good comparison, I get what he's saying.  It doesn't matter how much the media or fans (including fans of his own team) say how much he sucks.  His team went 10-6 on the season and won a playoff game.  Better quarterbacks than him are watching the playoffs at home rather than actually... playing in the playoffs.

Pundits can say what they want, but he is part of the reason the team is where they are.

I am pretty sure he's saying that if the best player of a sport in the entire world has critics and faces people who say he sucks, of course, he, a lowly middle of the road QB is going to have to endure it and hear about it regardless of how well or badly he does.

(01-11-2018, 09:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: He understands all of the negative comments towards him.  It appears that it doesn't bother him which is a good thing.  While I don't think that he and LeBron James is a good comparison, I get what he's saying.  It doesn't matter how much the media or fans (including fans of his own team) say how much he sucks.  His team went 10-6 on the season and won a playoff game.  Better quarterbacks than him are watching the playoffs at home rather than actually... playing in the playoffs.

He's not making a comparison. He's making a contrast.

Local beat guy, Mike Kaye stated it well:

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...7963504640

Why did I know once I heard Bortles say this that several people would mix up what he was actually saying? It was very clear what he meant...to me at least.

Bottom line is, no matter who you are, you can't please everybody

The man has had a lot of ups and downs, especially this year. He is a low hanging fruit as far as criticism from national media. Plus he is on a team and plays a position where he at points seems like the only weak link at a vital position.

One thing i will say about our guy is that he has handled every shady comment or crappy story thrown his way by MSM or his peers in stride and better than could have ever expected someone in his place. To me that, coupled with the fact he plays on my team, makes him someone i will always root for to be successful and over come the doubters.

(01-11-2018, 11:36 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: The man has had a lot of ups and downs, especially this year. He is a low hanging fruit as far as criticism from national media. Plus he is on a team and plays a position where he at points seems like the only weak link at a vital position.

One thing i will say about our guy is that he has handled every shady comment or crappy story thrown his way by MSM or his peers in stride and better than could have ever expected someone in his place. To me that, coupled with the fact he plays on my team, makes him someone i will always root for to be successful and over come the doubters.

This. All biased aside for my team, I don't think I've ever seen an athlete get more criticism in his career and handle it with such class/dignity. It's absolutely mind-blowing sometimes how maturely he handles it.

(01-11-2018, 11:55 PM)Brett Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 11:36 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: The man has had a lot of ups and downs, especially this year. He is a low hanging fruit as far as criticism from national media. Plus he is on a team and plays a position where he at points seems like the only weak link at a vital position.

This. All biased aside for my team, I don't think I've ever seen an athlete get more criticism in his career and handle it with such class/dignity. It's absolutely mind-blowing sometimes how maturely he handles it.

Yep, I agree with both of these statements.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(01-11-2018, 11:55 PM)Brett Wrote:

The man never seems to fire back with weak attacks. He may throw a subtle/witty shot back but it is never a response that comes off as an excuse, defense, or retaliation. If he does end up having a long career filled with high achievements, I will be happy if it is with my team. Coming from a person who has seen him down at beach establishments, in situations where lesser people in his position would have taken a dump on their name, I personally know that the guy knows how to handle himself in his profession and live a normal life without letting it interfere. All while handling the MSM jabs that comes with his job.

Between me and my close friends, i will admit i am critical of the guy. But i will always be the first to boost his name when he lives up to what we all know he capable of accomplishing.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 05:07 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

(01-11-2018, 10:38 PM)Brett Wrote: Why did I know once I heard Bortles say this that several people would mix up what he was actually saying? It was very clear what he meant...to me at least.

That would be because reading and reading comprehension is dead in this country. I saw the same thing coming as well, people don't know how to think critically when someone says something anymore. Everyone wants to spin everything into a hot take, or read something and immediately respond without thinking about what they just read.

Maybe hes actually British? He owns London and even has a self deprecating sense of humo(u)r.

Those who think he is comparing his play to Lebron James must be great fun at parties...

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 08:58 AM by Achilles.)

In terms of the LeBron comparison I think people aren't really understanding what he's saying. 

He's basically saying that if there are people out there that are going to criticize the best player in the world, of course there will be more people than that criticizing someone who is clearly not on that level. 

Everyone saying he and LeBron aren't in the same stratosphere.......duh. that's what he's saying and we all know that.

(01-12-2018, 05:06 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:38 PM)Brett Wrote: Why did I know once I heard Bortles say this that several people would mix up what he was actually saying? It was very clear what he meant...to me at least.

That would be because reading and reading comprehension is dead in this country. I saw the same thing coming as well, people don't know how to think critically when someone says something anymore. Everyone wants to spin everything into a hot take, or read something and immediately respond without thinking about what they just read.

Everything is just used to cause a reaction. News isn't really news anymore.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I watched the press conference first and when I saw that ESPN and CBS Sports were saying that he was 'comparing himself to Lebron', my first thought was what the [BLEEP] were they watching?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Anyone, I mean anyone who watched that presser and came away with the take he was comparing himself to Lebron is a complete and utter moron. Period. Watching the shows this week has become as predictable as watching the sunrise when it comes to them discussing the Jags.

What will all those fools come out saying when BB5 throws for 300 plus this Sunday? I have never hoped more for a player to have success than I am hoping for Blake this week. So damn sick of watching kooks stumble over themselves trying to find a new angle to bash that dude. Enough is enough.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Noticed that Byard went on record as saying he "wants to make Tom Brady look like Blake Bortles" on Saturday.

I feel kind of terrible for Blake. He gets crapped on constantly when there are definitely worse QBs in the league than him. Nothing would make me happier than for him to become a high level player, but I'm not sure he can.

Maybe he can win a Super Bowl and they can shut up.