Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles X factor

Bortles may have found a strength when running against Buffalo.  Many people do not realize Bortles is 4th (yes all) all time in Rushing yards per attempts amoung QBs.  Bortles could add another wrinkle going forward into this offense.  I really hope to see them using borltes more on bootlegs, Shotgun, playaction, etc much more on first downs.  Dumb down the offense for him.  If his first or second read isn't there take off with it.  Seattle took that very same approach with Russel Wilson.  Pound the ball with Fournette and if the opponets are loading the box make them pay for it with Bortles on the move.  Bortles rating goes up dramatically when he is outside the pocket.

Pittsburgh is going to load the box and make Bortles beat them.  This team has got to find a way to make defense's pay instead of the run up the middle for 2 yards game plan.

To be Fair to Bortles, He is only 25 years old and doesn't have much help behind him.   Tom Brady would improve this offense but I don't think dramatically.  Just look at the issues

-Lost #1 receiver first catch of the season
-Hurns vanished once he got paid.
-Lee is hurt once again
-No real receiving threat at the tight end position
-Offense needs 2 new guards.  The offense is decent at pass blocking but the run blocking is horrendous. 
-Relying on 2 rookie Wr's
-Rookie Rb may have hit his wall with playing college football, training for combine and pre draft workouts, training camp, and taking a heavy load this year.

I believe letting Bortles use his athletic ability could be the X factor for this game.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 03:08 PM by Kane.)

(01-12-2018, 03:02 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Bortles may have found a strength when running against Buffalo.  Many people do not realize Bortles is 4th (yes all) all time in Rushing yards per attempts amoung QBs.  Bortles could add another wrinkle going forward into this offense.  I really hope to see them using borltes more on bootlegs, Shotgun, playaction, etc much more on first downs.  Dumb down the offense for him.  If his first or second read isn't there take off with it.  Seattle took that very same approach with Russel Wilson.  Pound the ball with Fournette and if the opponets are loading the box make them pay for it with Bortles on the move.  Bortles rating goes up dramatically when he is outside the pocket.

Pittsburgh is going to load the box and make Bortles beat them.  This team has got to find a way to make defense's pay instead of the run up the middle for 2 yards game plan.

To be Fair to Bortles, He is only 25 years old and doesn't have much help behind him.   Tom Brady would improve this offense but I don't think dramatically.  Just look at the issues

-Lee is hurt once again
-Offense needs 2 new guards.  The offense is decent at pass blocking but the run blocking is horrendous. 
-Rookie Rb may have hit his wall with playing college football, training for combine and pre draft workouts, training camp, and taking a heavy load this year.

I believe letting Bortles use his athletic ability could be the X factor for this game.

I disagree about Hurns. He's been hurt quite a few games. But compared to last season, he has more yards on less targets in fewer games.And I think if fully healthy we could see him hit 2015 numbers again.
And I think Omameh is much better than anyone gives him credit for around here. I think we just need to replace Cann. And possibly upgrade Parnell at RT (he's just getting a bit long in the tooth).

That all being said... if Bortles can just protect the ball I believe this D is good enough to carry him through another low scoring game.
Even using his legs he won't be able to keep pace with a squeeler team if they are scoring often.

(01-12-2018, 03:02 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Bortles may have found a strength when running against Buffalo.  Many people do not realize Bortles is 4th (yes all) all time in Rushing yards per attempts amoung QBs.  Bortles could add another wrinkle going forward into this offense.  I really hope to see them using borltes more on bootlegs, Shotgun, playaction, etc much more on first downs.  Dumb down the offense for him.  If his first or second read isn't there take off with it.  Seattle took that very same approach with Russel Wilson.  Pound the ball with Fournette and if the opponets are loading the box make them pay for it with Bortles on the move.  Bortles rating goes up dramatically when he is outside the pocket.

-Lee is hurt once again

Dude..... what?!

Brady wins no matter who he plays with. Lose Gronk for SB? Still wins. Lose Edelman in preseason? Still #1 seed. Brady would have led this team to an undefeated season. No doubt about it. This defense with Brady? Come on man. Not to mention Fournette would have NEVER seen an 8 man box.

(01-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

-Lee is hurt once again

Dude..... what?!

Brady wins no matter who he plays with. Lose Gronk for SB? Still wins. Lose Edelman in preseason? Still #1 seed. Brady would have led this team to an undefeated season. No doubt about it. This defense with Brady? Come on man. Not to mention Fournette would have NEVER seen an 8 man box.

I completely missed that.
Crazy statement.

(01-12-2018, 03:10 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude..... what?!

I completely missed that.
Crazy statement.
I've heard some bad takes in my time on this board (shouldn't draft Ramsey because he can't catch being #1) but my god.... This one is bad.

(01-12-2018, 03:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:10 PM)Kane Wrote: I completely missed that.
Crazy statement.
I've heard some bad takes in my time on this board (shouldn't draft Ramsey because he can't catch being #1) but my god.... This one is bad.

TBF to jaguarmvp... he did say Brady would improve the offense...

but man... not by much is the hottest of takes lol
If Brady couldn't muster more than 90 yards... maybe Bortles isn't the problem hahahaha

(01-12-2018, 03:14 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I've heard some bad takes in my time on this board (shouldn't draft Ramsey because he can't catch being #1) but my god.... This one is bad.

TBF to jaguarmvp... he did say Brady would improve the offense...

If Brady couldn't muster more than 90 yards... maybe Bortles isn't the problem hahahaha
I mean it's not like Brady is the best QB or anything.......

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss would only help the WR position a little bit.
Gronk would only help our TE position a little.
Alan Faneca and Larry Allen would only help our line a little bit.

(01-12-2018, 03:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:14 PM)Kane Wrote: TBF to jaguarmvp... he did say Brady would improve the offense...

I mean it's not like Brady is the best QB or anything.......

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss would only help the WR position a little bit.
Gronk would only help our TE position a little.
Alan Faneca and Larry Allen would only help our line a little bit.

Well... 

I'd surely take the little bit at this point anywhere... but especially at QB.
We're playing in the divisional round of the playoffs... that little bit will likely be the difference in making past this round.

-Lee is hurt once again

Dude..... what?!

I love how the undefeated word comes up all the time on here. You do know it has happened ONE time, right? 2-3 more wins? Yes!

Let's not over think this.
1st play first drive, play action with Fournette in the backfield and toss it 20 yards to Cole or Westbrook on the side line. 1st down.
2nd play first drive, slant to Hurn's for 7 yards
3rd play first drive, 27 up the gut for 2 yards
4th play first drive, naked bootleg for the 1st down.
5th play first drive, who cares. The offense has just become unpredictable. All Hackett has to do is continue going against trends 50% of the time and the Steeler defense will be on their heels.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

-Lee is hurt once again

Dude..... what?!

They might have lost Edelman in the preseason, but it didn't take them long to trade for Brandin Cooks to replace him. Cooks is way better than Edelman is.

Brady would definitely improve this Offense for obvious reasons, but to say we'd be undefeated with him is a little out there. It's just way too hard to go undefeated in this league. 

It's also not a far stretch to say that Gronk and Cooks alone is better than our receiving group without Robinson.

Pretty sure he is 2nd?

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 01:33 AM by empty.)

(01-12-2018, 11:20 PM)myrick31 Wrote: Pretty sure he is 2nd?

I assume you mean the rushing yards per attempt stat? He was at the beginning of December.  He dropped to 4th after going 13 for 38 yards down the stretch.

Effective use of play action will be critical. The Jaguars averaged 9.0 yards per play (ranked fourth) with play-action, and the Steelers defense also allowed 9.6 yards per play on play-action, which ranked 30th. Not so good news on Bortles: he completed under 60% of his passes in 3rd & 7-9 yards. On 3rd and 10+, he completed under 50%, and only 7 of 48 attempts resulted in a first down. His passer rating on the road is 69.4 with 6 TDs and 8 interceptions. When behind, he has thrown 5 TDs and 9 interceptions and was sacked 15 times. Scoring early would seem to be essential.

-Lee is hurt once again

Dude..... what?!

Brady is a system QB and always has been.  No Bill, and he's not even in the discussion of GOAT.

(01-13-2018, 06:59 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude..... what?!

Brady is a system QB and always has been.  No Bill, and he's not even in the discussion of GOAT.

HA! Thank you, I needed a good laugh. My nerves have been crazy this week with the take coming up.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM by leopold332002.)

I see how some of y'all like to dismiss jaguarmvp post based on one simple statement on Tom Brady but he made a lot of good points overall and I appreciate him because of it. What I think he's trying to say is that this offense is very flawed outside of Blake but gets a pass because the hatred for Blake is so real that it negates other things that wrong with this team. Leonard fournette has gotten the pass, the offensive line has gotten a pass, and the receiver corp the last 3 weeks has gotten the pass but Blake has taken all the blame because of it. I will say this Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson would take this offense to another level because they're all time great players but not too many quarterbacks in the league would do better than what Blake Bortles has done this year under the same circumstances despite what the media and others will tell you otherwise. It seem like we as a fanbase are so quick to replace Blake as if he's the problem for this offense instead of commending him for helping this team reach the playoffs despite his circumstances this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]

How does the number one rushing team in the NFL have "horrendous" run blocking? Might want the deflect that blame a little toward fournettes ankle and lack of production lately. We need to see more Yeldon and Grant tomorrow, in addition to throwing the ball down the field.

(01-13-2018, 07:52 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: I see how some of y'all like to dismiss jaguarmvp post based on one simple statement on Tom Brady but he made a lot of good points overall and I appreciate him because of it. What I think he's trying to say is that this offense is very flawed outside of Blake but gets a pass because the hatred for Blake is so real that it negates other things that wrong with this team. Leonard fournette has gotten the pass, the offensive line has gotten a pass, and the receiver corp the last 3 weeks has gotten the pass but Blake has taken all the blame because of it. I will say this Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson would take this offense to another level because they're all time great players but not too many quarterbacks in the league would do better than what Blake Bortles has done this year under the same circumstances despite what the media and others will tell you otherwise. It seem like we as a fanbase are so quick to replace Blake as if he's the problem for this offense instead of commending him for helping this team reach the playoffs despite his circumstances this year.

Nah.

There's been lots of talk about shabby and inconsistent run blocking, lots of talk about Fournette looking weaker than early in the season, lots of talk about the rookie receivers playing poorly.  

There's also been talk about Bortles playing three good consecutive games (which was impressive) and then falling off of a cliff and regressing into poor technique and bad accuracy. 

All of those topics are valid discussions. 

I hope your boy redeems himself mightily after a few lackluster games tomorrow. I think he can. He's shown he can. We just don't know if he will yet.

NFL lore is on our side. You can't ignore that fact. We are a kryptonite to their franchise.
No pain, no gain.