Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles X factor

(01-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:02 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Bortles may have found a strength when running against Buffalo.  Many people do not realize Bortles is 4th (yes all) all time in Rushing yards per attempts amoung QBs.  Bortles could add another wrinkle going forward into this offense.  I really hope to see them using borltes more on bootlegs, Shotgun, playaction, etc much more on first downs.  Dumb down the offense for him.  If his first or second read isn't there take off with it.  Seattle took that very same approach with Russel Wilson.  Pound the ball with Fournette and if the opponets are loading the box make them pay for it with Bortles on the move.  Bortles rating goes up dramatically when he is outside the pocket.

Pittsburgh is going to load the box and make Bortles beat them.  This team has got to find a way to make defense's pay instead of the run up the middle for 2 yards game plan.

To be Fair to Bortles, He is only 25 years old and doesn't have much help behind him.   Tom Brady would improve this offense but I don't think dramatically.  Just look at the issues

-Lost #1 receiver first catch of the season
-Hurns vanished once he got paid.
-Lee is hurt once again
-No real receiving threat at the tight end position
-Offense needs 2 new guards.  The offense is decent at pass blocking but the run blocking is horrendous. 
-Relying on 2 rookie Wr's
-Rookie Rb may have hit his wall with playing college football, training for combine and pre draft workouts, training camp, and taking a heavy load this year.

I believe letting Bortles use his athletic ability could be the X factor for this game.
Dude..... what?!

Brady wins no matter who he plays with. Lose Gronk for SB? Still wins. Lose Edelman in preseason? Still #1 seed. Brady would have led this team to an undefeated season. No doubt about it. This defense with Brady? Come on man. Not to mention Fournette would have NEVER seen an 8 man box.

Yup.  Any top tier QB  (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc,) would absolutely TORCH a defense that continually loads 8 and 9 man boxes on defense. 
No question about it.

That's what I'm wandering about what's going on with Jax. Does Bortles still not have the option to audible into a play that attacks a loaded box?

Are the coaches still limiting him there?  Or is he just not seeing it? IDK

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As an added bonus, if Bortles rushes more it will help him keep warm during the game.

I kid, I kid.

It's great that he's got some scrambling ability. I DO wish he'd be allowed to utilze it more. It worked for Kaep and the 49ers for a little while, at least. Cam Newton still makes it work on occasion.

But therein lies the problem - the last thing this team needs is for Bortles to take a headshot while running and go down badly. But on the other hand, I'm becoming less and less sure of his ability to become a pocket passer. It's a tough call. He uses his legs very well, and i'm grateful that he was able to "somewhat" salvage his bad play against Buffalo as the result of those scrambles....but i'd rather not see this team have to rely on him running ALL the time just to help him get going.

I'm just hoping he finds himself this week. How many weeks now has it been since Dr. Jekyll played a game? Mr. Hyde's been out on the field way too often lately.

I hope he finds his MOJO for this game

(01-13-2018, 12:41 PM)tyus Wrote: I hope he finds his MOJO for this game
We all do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!