Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Deadline

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Today is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Roquan Smith and Bryce Love are the last major players who have yet to make an announcement, one way or another. I'd expect Smith to declare, since he looks to be a sure-fire first round pick, but you never know. Clelin Ferrell was likely gonna be a first round pick and he decided to return to Clemson. As soon as all the returns are in, I can finally finish my mock.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-15-2018, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Today is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Roquan Smith and Bryce Love are the last major players who have yet to make an announcement, one way or another. I'd expect Smith to declare, since he looks to be a sure-fire first round pick, but you never know. Clelin Ferrell was likely gonna be a first round pick and he decided to return to Clemson. As soon as all the returns are in, I can finally finish my mock.

O-Line, you are obviously a big Jags fan like the majority of people on this board. Why not just forget about the draft for at least 1 week (hopefully 3) and enjoy the ride? For the first time in a long while, our fan base has more than free agency and the draft to look forward to. I love the draft as much as anyone and won't miss a minute of it (even the 3 hours on day 1 before the Jags make their first pick!), but that will be the last thing on my mind until the Jags magical ride is over. At that point, we'll still have close to 3 months to decide whether to draft an offensive lineman or tight end in round 1. Sorry O-Line, I couldn't resist getting that "dig" in. Don't worry, Rudolph may still be available at the end of round 2!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-15-2018, 12:40 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Today is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Roquan Smith and Bryce Love are the last major players who have yet to make an announcement, one way or another. I'd expect Smith to declare, since he looks to be a sure-fire first round pick, but you never know. Clelin Ferrell was likely gonna be a first round pick and he decided to return to Clemson. As soon as all the returns are in, I can finally finish my mock.

O-Line, you are obviously a big Jags fan like the majority of people on this board. Why not just forget about the draft for at least 1 week (hopefully 3) and enjoy the ride? For the first time in a long while, our fan base has more than free agency and the draft to look forward to. I love the draft as much as anyone and won't miss a minute of it (even the 3 hours on day 1 before the Jags make their first pick!), but that will be the last thing on my mind until the Jags magical ride is over. At that point, we'll still have close to 3 months to decide whether to draft an offensive lineman or tight end in round 1. Sorry O-Line, I couldn't resist getting that "dig" in. Don't worry, Rudolph may still be available at the end of round 2!

That's not in my nature. I have a bit of A.D.D., so my mind is constantly looking to the future. I am also pretty good at multi-tasking. Trust me, I am savoring the victory, as well as looking forward to the Pats game. I don't necessarily have to concentrate solely on one thing. It's just not in my make-up. I'm thinking of ways to build a football dynasty in Jacksonville.

I'm glad you are savoring it. The loyal fans of this team deserve to have moments like yesterday and the anticipation of what is to come. The thing I like most about this site is that people can disagree with each other yet still be civil (most of the time). It is always fun to look back at least a few years after each draft t see how accurate we were. My biggest blunder was when the Jags took Fred Taylor in 1998. I was totally against that pick as I preferred Takeo Spikes. Although Spikes was a good player, I'm sure glad it was not me making that pick! Of all the positions, quarterback is the most difficult to predict. It will be interesting to see how the class of 2018 quarterbacks looks 3 years down the road. My guess is there will end up being 1 or 2 franchise quarterbacks and the rest will either be just average or total busts. Regardless of which positions the Jaguars target in the early rounds, if they are even remotely as successful as they have been the past 2 years, they will be in amazing shape. Without Ramsay, Jack, Yannick, Leonard and Cam there is no way this team would still be playing. The Gene Smith and Shack Harris days are thankfully just a bad memory.

(01-15-2018, 03:42 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'm glad you are savoring it. The loyal fans of this team deserve to have moments like yesterday and the anticipation of what is to come. The thing I like most about this site is that people can disagree with each other yet still be civil (most of the time). It is always fun to look back at least a few years after each draft t see how accurate we were. My biggest blunder was when the Jags took Fred Taylor in 1998. I was totally against that pick as I preferred Takeo Spikes. Although Spikes was a good player, I'm sure glad it was not me making that pick! Of all the positions, quarterback is the most difficult to predict. It will be interesting to see how the class of 2018 quarterbacks looks 3 years down the road.  My guess is there will end up being 1 or 2 franchise quarterbacks and the rest will either be just average or total busts. Regardless of which positions the Jaguars target in the early rounds, if they are even remotely as successful as they have been the past 2 years, they will be in amazing shape. Without Ramsay, Jack, Yannick, Leonard and Cam there is no way this team would still be playing. The Gene Smith and Shack Harris days are thankfully just a bad memory.

I was not a fan of the Ramsey selection. Man, was I ever wrong! Nobody, I mean nobody is ever 100%. I'm just glad the selected him and we have a great group of young players on defense to build around. Add that to the terrific group of FA's that we added and we have the makings of a defensive dynasty.

Clemson is going to be LOADED on D next year!

(01-16-2018, 03:59 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Clemson is going to be LOADED on D next year!

I can't believe Ferrell and Wilkins decided to stay. Both were almost guaranteed to be first round picks. They're risking injury and it could effect their draft stock in 2019. Especially Ferrell. This is a fairly weak year for edge rushers and he would've probably been the 2nd or 3rd DE off the board behind Bradley Chubb and possibly Rasheem Green. The DT class is quite a bit deeper, but Wilkins was still projected to be one of the top 1 or 2 guys at the position. Don't forget that LB Kendall Joseph and OT Mitch Hyatt also elected to return, so that team has to be among the favorites to win the National Championship next season.

(01-16-2018, 07:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 03:59 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Clemson is going to be LOADED on D next year!

I can't believe Ferrell and Wilkins decided to stay. Both were almost guaranteed to be first round picks. They're risking injury and it could effect their draft stock in 2019. Especially Ferrell. This is a fairly weak year for edge rushers and he would've probably been the 2nd or 3rd DE off the board behind Bradley Chubb and possibly Rasheem Green. The DT class is quite a bit deeper, but Wilkins was still projected to be one of the top 1 or 2 guys at the position. Don't forget that LB Kendall Joseph and OT Mitch Hyatt also elected to return, so that team has to be among the favorites to win the National Championship next season.

The NFL was supposedly lower on them than first thought. Another big year could move them from end of the first to the top 10.

(01-16-2018, 09:05 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 07:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I can't believe Ferrell and Wilkins decided to stay. Both were almost guaranteed to be first round picks. They're risking injury and it could effect their draft stock in 2019. Especially Ferrell. This is a fairly weak year for edge rushers and he would've probably been the 2nd or 3rd DE off the board behind Bradley Chubb and possibly Rasheem Green. The DT class is quite a bit deeper, but Wilkins was still projected to be one of the top 1 or 2 guys at the position. Don't forget that LB Kendall Joseph and OT Mitch Hyatt also elected to return, so that team has to be among the favorites to win the National Championship next season.

The NFL was supposedly lower on them than first thought. Another big year could move them from end of the first to the top 10.

Actually, from what I've been reading, Ferrell Wilkins, Bryant, Joseph and Fields are all very good friends and supposedly made a pact to enter the draft all together. Some guys weren't ready, so they all decided to stay and make another run, before they come out next year.