Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Vic Ketchman

I was curious about what Vic would make of the Jaguars current success, but couldn't find him on the Packers site. Turns out he retired last July and has his own blog, titled Ask Vic. Looks like he's living the life.

[Image: img-2252-374_orig.jpg]
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been reading it the last few weeks. It reminded me of why I was never fully on the Vic bus. While I appreciate the insight of all of his years around football, he can also be kind of a killjoy. Maybe he's just being a realist.

I also get the distinct impression that he doesn't miss his time with the Jaguars, at all. But really, who can blame him.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Living in Wisconsin was probably pure hell.  I mean seriously, it's not even like it was Madison WI where there is a little touch of life and fitness.  He probably had to live near the Green Bay facilities where it's very cold, desolate, and people view getting the mail as a form of daily exercise.

[Image: packers-fans-of-the-day.jpg]

Sometimes I wonder if Vic is one of the reasons I'm such a Jag fan.

Boy, he really likes his former employer. Pfffft, screw Vic.

David from San Francisco, CA
We've seen the Jaguars improve with the free-agent signings of Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Barry Church. As they continue their search to pay "The Man," how can this team remain competitive in future seasons and maintain financial stability?

The quarterback position will define the Jaguars' future. I don't think Blake Bortles is the future. The Jaguars are the result of a unique situation. That team isn't just about high picks and free-agent signings, it's about the uncapped year in 2010 and stripping the team for sale, which left the Jaguars so horribly beneath the cap floor the league had to give them an exemption from the cap minimum and allow them to recover in stages. I thought it was unfair and the Jaguars should've lost draft picks for noncompliance, but nobody complained because the Jaguars were horribly uncompetitive and irrelevant. As a result, the Jaguars were able to take an ultra-aggressive posture in free agency. They were so flush with cap room they didn't have to worry about their free-agent misses, and they had plenty of them. They still have room to spend. It's almost as though they were reborn as an expansion franchise. They are not a realistic model.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-16-2018, 11:51 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Boy, he really likes his former employer. Pfffft, screw Vic.

We've seen the Jaguars improve with the free-agent signings of Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Barry Church. As they continue their search to pay "The Man," how can this team remain competitive in future seasons and maintain financial stability?

The quarterback position will define the Jaguars' future. I don't think Blake Bortles is the future. The Jaguars are the result of a unique situation. That team isn't just about high picks and free-agent signings, it's about the uncapped year in 2010 and stripping the team for sale, which left the Jaguars so horribly beneath the cap floor the league had to give them an exemption from the cap minimum and allow them to recover in stages. I thought it was unfair and the Jaguars should've lost draft picks for noncompliance, but nobody complained because the Jaguars were horribly uncompetitive and irrelevant. As a result, the Jaguars were able to take an ultra-aggressive posture in free agency. They were so flush with cap room they didn't have to worry about their free-agent misses, and they had plenty of them. They still have room to spend. It's almost as though they were reborn as an expansion franchise. They are not a realistic model.

I don't remember the Jags receiving any exemption for being under the cap floor. I googled it and the only things I see so far is his answer from his column and an article from NBC about there being no cap floor in 2010, and that three teams were well under what it may have been. And yes, we were one, but so were the Bucs and Chiefs. And if there was no floor in 2010, there was nothing to give an exemption for, right? From that point forward, I remember the team pushing cap space forward which became allowable under the CBA in 2011. Is Vic hallucinating again?

And as much as he prattled on about the draft being the only way to build a team, did he just admit we built it through free agency? I wonder if wide receivers are no longer a dime a dozen. 

Oh, and here's the NBC article.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...r-pockets/

2010? 

That’s quite a long time ago in football years.

(01-16-2018, 11:51 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Boy, he really likes his former employer. Pfffft, screw Vic.

Kinda a [BLEEP] head thing to say even if you want to play the "I'm a realist" card. I mean, not only does he give zero evidence which I guess he doesn't have to, there is nothing out there to show this was even the case.

nah he's an [BLEEP]

Vic sounds grumpy. Reminds me of Vito Stellino a bit. "Left" his job and is now running an unsuccessful personal website.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-16-2018, 05:09 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I was curious about what Vic would make of the Jaguars current success, but couldn't find him on the Packers site. Turns out he retired last July and has his own blog, titled Ask Vic. Looks like he's living the life.

I love it. Ask Vic is back and unleashed. Its fantastic. He also says Bortles is not the answer. I was kind of coming to that conclusion myself, but Vic saying it just cements it for us.

And I personally appreciate his ability to be forthright about these things, although I think he was being sarcastic about the Jags losing a draft pic (a cowboys joke perhaps). But if you really think he hates us:
Vic, Jaguars at Pittsburgh, you have any mixed emotions?
Of course I do. I lived in both places and covered both teams. I love each place and each team. I'll be happy for one and sad for the other.

and on 12/18/17
Vic, you and I go way back, all the way back to the 2005 draft when I was a 14-year-old kid and I discovered your column, and I've read you ever since. After the Jaguars clinched a spot on Sunday, I thought of you so I Googled your name, not realizing you had started this column. I'm so glad to have you back and I'm sorry I'm late to the party. So how do you feel about the Jaguars?

I think they can go all the way.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(01-17-2018, 10:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Vic sounds grumpy. Reminds me of Vito Stellino a bit. "Left" his job and is now running an unsuccessful personal website.

Vitos the man.

(01-17-2018, 01:21 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 05:09 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I was curious about what Vic would make of the Jaguars current success, but couldn't find him on the Packers site. Turns out he retired last July and has his own blog, titled Ask Vic. Looks like he's living the life.

I love it. Ask Vic is back and unleashed. Its fantastic. He also says Bortles is not the answer. I was kind of coming to that conclusion myself, but Vic saying it just cements it for us.

And I personally appreciate his ability to be forthright about these things, although I think he was being sarcastic about the Jags losing a draft pic (a cowboys joke perhaps). But if you really think he hates us:
Vic, Jaguars at Pittsburgh, you have any mixed emotions?
Of course I do. I lived in both places and covered both teams. I love each place and each team. I'll be happy for one and sad for the other.

and on 12/18/17
Vic, you and I go way back, all the way back to the 2005 draft when I was a 14-year-old kid and I discovered your column, and I've read you ever since. After the Jaguars clinched a spot on Sunday, I thought of you so I Googled your name, not realizing you had started this column. I'm so glad to have you back and I'm sorry I'm late to the party. So how do you feel about the Jaguars?

I think they can go all the way.

He speaks his mind, has a great collection of stories and memories, and is a good writer. I'm enjoying reading his blog all the way back to its inception.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Vic was/is awesome, I owe my membership to the Jaguars board to Vic in a small way.

"I hear the Train a commin"