Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Conference Championship Edition

After week 17, I promised I would continue this thread as long as there was an AFC South team alive in the playoffs.  I'm thrilled beyond measure to report the 2017 AFC South Champion Jacksonville Jaguars are still alive and are set to battle the Patriots for the right to represent the AFC in Super Bowl LII!!!!  The second place tacks have had an odd few weeks.  They had a three game losing streak heading into week 17, and the speculation at that point was that the tacks would fire HC Mike Mularkey if he went one and done in the playoffs.  After a comeback from 18 points down in KC, the tacks advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs and summarily bounced by the Patriots.  In the days afterward, there were reports that the tacks would give Mularkey an extension, to the delight of AFC South fans outside of Tennessee.  But then, the news came out the tacks fired Mularkey, citing, in part, the lack of development in Marcus Mariota.  Meanwhile, the Texans finalized their football structure, extending head coach Bill O'Brien, and naming a new GM.  Finally, the Colts have yet to name their new head coach.  Speculation is they are in the market for Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, with Tennessee now competing for his services.

Now for the pick

Jaguars (12-6) at Patriots (14-3)-Just based upon the names involved, it appears to be a mismatch.  GOAT coach Bil Belichick & GOAT QB Tom Brady host the anonymous upstart Jaguars.  But if there is a team that can match up well against the Patriots, it's the Jaguars-especially on the defensive side of the ball.  If you examine the very few teams that have beaten the Patriots in the playoffs over the years-the Ravens, Giants, Broncos, Jets-those were teams that could rush the QB.  They all got pressure on Brady and made him uncomfortable in the pocket.  The Jaguars are capable of doing that.  They managed to have four guys to register at least eight sacks.  Aside from having a talented front four-each of whom alone are capable of beating one on one blocking-they have two stud cover CBs in first team All Pro Jalen Ramsey and second team All Pro A.J. Bouye and two solid and experienced safeties in Barry Church and Gipson.  Even more, the Jaguars are very fast and athletic at LB with second team All Pro Telvin Smith and 2nd year LB Myles Jack.  Combined, they can also create a lot of coverage sacks and pose matchup problems for most teams.  the question is, how does this defense match up against Pats TE Rob Gronkowski?  Nobody has really had much of an answer for him.  Furthermore, on the other side of the ball, the Belichick is a long time defensive mastermind.  This was a guy who devised schemes to hold the Joe Montana and Jerry Rice led 49ers to THREE (3) points, SEVEN (7) points, and THIRTEEN (13) points.  This is a guy who has shut down the Peyton Manning led Colts too.  Despite their low statistical rankings, it likely will not be easy for the Jaguars to move the ball.  He has a knack for taking away what a team does best.  My mind says pats...but screw it!  I'm following my heart!  It's been a damn great ride so far!!!  Jaguars 20-Patriots 17!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Go Jags!! I'm all in.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM by SeldomRite.)

Love the Jags, but the inconsistency seems like it'll catch up to them eventually. Against a consistently excellent team like the pats it probably will, but I hope I'm wrong. I'm thinking pats 28, Jags 17.

35-14 overall I know we play the pats. I am going to belieave in the lucky penny,and jags. Jags win a tough one,but win.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I see a game where we shock the world. It won't be some blowout win or a game decided early. I think we come out and struggle and go into the half down a score or 2. We battle back and win something like 20-17 or 24-20. I think if our team can muster up 20-24 points that should be enough if the defense comes to play.

I will take the Jaguars 24-21.

Homer alert: Picking the Jags 24-20
29-9 overall
lets do it guys!

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I see this as very winnable, but in the end, the Jags come up short in heartbreaking fashion. 24-20 pats
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Head says Pats... Heart says Jags!

Screw it... 21-17 Jags! #DTWD

The 32nd Defense versus a top 6 offense.

The 1st Defense versus a top 10 offense.

We win this one easily guys and dolls.

Last week: 2-0

Overall: 42-14

Jaguars
'02

Patriots: 44
Jaguars: 20

We've only beaten the Patriots once. They always have our number (except the one win we have against them in 1999) I'm expecting our inconsistency to catch up to us. Really hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting the worst. At least we made it this far. If Blake can turn into a competent consistent QB (or we find one otherwise) and get a good draft (a young TE, bolster our D a little more) and we can be competitive on a regular basis.

(01-20-2018, 11:35 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Patriots: 44
Jaguars: 20

We've only beaten the Patriots once.  They always have our number (except the one win we have against them in 1999)  I'm expecting our inconsistency to catch up to us.  Really hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting the worst.  At least we made it this far.  If Blake can turn into a competent consistent QB (or we find one otherwise) and get a good draft (a young TE, bolster our D a little more) and we can be competitive on a regular basis.

They've had Del Rio's and Gus Bradley's number, but they don't have Marrone and Coughlin's number. Coughlin, on the other hand, has beaten the Patriots in the Playoffs with the Jaguars and twice in the Super Bowl with the Giants. If anything Coughlin has Belichick's number.
'02

Division Weekend Results: 1-1
Overall Results: 40-15

AFC Championship Game Prediction:

Patriots 27, Jaguars 20

Whatever happens in this game, the season has been a huge success for the Jaguars. With a foundation in place for plenty of success in the coming seasons.

I'm going with the Jags!
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(01-18-2018, 12:14 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Homer alert: Picking the Jags 24-20
29-9 overall
lets do it guys!

Oh that sucks, got the score right in the wrong way.
29-10 final 0-1 this week.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(01-17-2018, 04:02 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: 35-14 overall        I know we play the pats. I am going to belieave  in the lucky penny,and jags.   Jags win a tough one,but win.

0-1 this week.  35-15 overall.

I missed on my Jaguars pick, so that drops me to 42-15.
'02

so now that footbal is over with for afc south are you going to post our final stands for the afc south pickem this past season bullseye?