Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tennis fans?

I'm probably the only one here right? So I'm sure this thread won't be active.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If it were 20 years ago, maybe. Lost interest.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Yeah, I figured this was a long shot, lol.

I've been watching the AO for about 30 min per day.

I pretty much root against Federer and Serena since they've been dominant over the past decade; although we should all root for Venus and Serena given the fact they beat the odds by growing up in the hood (Compton). In any event, I'll be pulling for Wozniacki because she's cute and was born in Poland. On the men's side, I'll root for Nadal and then Djokovic

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2018, 05:24 PM by Brett.)

(01-19-2018, 04:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I've been watching the AO for about 30 min per day.

I pretty much root against Federer and Serena since they've been dominant over the past decade; although we should all root for Venus and Serena given the fact they beat the odds by growing up in the hood (Compton). In any event, I'll be pulling for Wozniacki because she's cute and was born in Poland. On the men's side, I'll root for Nadal and then Djokovic

Nice! Just glad someone is here to make this relevant...I was worried. I grew up playing tennis so next to football, it's my favorite sport. It's funny, I really don't have any favorites or dislikes (besides Serena). Maybe just because I play the game so I know how hard it is and I find myself rooting for everyone and watching it without any bias.

Kyrgios and Tsonga was a great match it seemed from the highlights, just bummed because of how late these matches are.

I like tennis but haven't watched any of it after dropping cable. Tennis was a hard sport to follow even then. I was a WTA fan. But now I just follow them on twitter. Tennis isn't really a sport where you really route against someone. I liked Serena, and watching several players trying to figure out how to play her. My favorite players didn't necessarily win all the time.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018, 12:08 PM by Brett.)

(01-20-2018, 01:20 AM)VisitingCobra Wrote: I like tennis but haven't watched any of it after dropping cable. Tennis was a hard sport to follow even then. I was a WTA fan. But now I just follow them on twitter. Tennis isn't really a sport where you really route against someone. I liked Serena, and watching several players trying to figure out how to play her. My favorite players didn't necessarily win all the time.

Yeah makes sense. There was an amazing match last night between Simona Halep and Lauren Davis (USA). Incredible stuff.

I used to follow it heavily a couple years back. Watched every major, watched every point of that ridiculous Isner/Mahut Wimbledon match a few years ago.

I keep wanting to get back into it, hoping to get my daughter into lessons in the next year or so as well.

And I disagree about not cheering against any one player. There were always players I wanted to lose
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-20-2018, 09:52 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I used to follow it heavily a couple years back. Watched every major, watched every point of that ridiculous Isner/Mahut Wimbledon match a few years ago.

I keep wanting to get back into it, hoping to get my daughter into lessons in the next year or so as well.

And I disagree about not cheering against any one player. There were always players I wanted to lose

Yep, no problem to disagree with my opinion. Did you ever play though? I've played my whole life so maybe that's why I feel that way.

(01-21-2018, 12:19 AM)Brett Wrote:
(01-20-2018, 09:52 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I used to follow it heavily a couple years back. Watched every major, watched every point of that ridiculous Isner/Mahut Wimbledon match a few years ago.

Yep, no problem to disagree with my opinion. Did you ever play though? I've played my whole life so maybe that's why I feel that way.

Never had the chance to play competitively unfortunately. By the time I got interested in the sport I was like 17 and WAY behind the 8 ball skills wise
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Nadal pulled out --- figures. Looks like Federer can stroll to another major title

oh, and Russian (including Czech) tennis chicks are hot. They can meddle in my election any time they want.

I like women's tennis.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(01-24-2018, 05:26 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: I like women's tennis.

FTFY
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

It will be interesting to see the Chung and Federer match. I think Federer should get through but at times Federer has struggled against younger opponents that he has never faced before. How about this young kid Chung by the way? Phenomenal tournament so far and he has a bright future.

(01-24-2018, 02:29 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 05:26 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: I like women's tennis.

FTFY

Oh yes, my bad.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Serena is probably crawling in her grave right now thinking how much better she is than Wozniacki. While the chicks are definitely hotter than the Matina Navratolova days, there is really a lot of mediocre tennis on both the women's and the men's end of the spectrum. Tennis is really gonna miss the Federer-Nadal-Djokavic-Murray semi-final matchups

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 10:53 AM by Brett.)

(01-25-2018, 10:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Serena is probably crawling in her grave right now thinking how much better she is than Wozniacki. While the chicks are definitely hotter than the Matina Navratolova days, there is really a lot of mediocre tennis on both the women's and the men's end of the spectrum. Tennis is really gonna miss the Federer-Nadal-Djokavic-Murray semi-final matchups

True and that's why it's great to see guys like Chung and Zverev coming along. We need some new blood in the game.

Halep vs. Wozniacki for their first major title...both have been runner up's twice in a women's major AND the #1 ranking is on the line. Sidenote, Wozniacki is engaged to David Lee (former NBAer). She also use to date Rory Mcilroy (current golfer).

I think everyone that would have gone into tennis previously has gone into golf instead. Just a theory.

(01-26-2018, 09:35 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I think everyone that would have gone into tennis previously has gone into golf instead. Just a theory.

I'd guess they are playing soccer instead.

Amazing match between Simona Halep and Caroline Wozniacki for those of you that got to watch it. I didn't watch it live (3:30 AM Eastern) but just didn't look at my phone and watched the re-air on ESPN2 at 9 AM. Simona Halep showed a ton of fight and as the match went on, it was sad to see that there had to be a loser. But congrats to Wozniacki on her first major. Hopefully Simona can get back to that position again some day soon. 3 losses now in a Major final can't be an easy pill to swallow.