Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Moving to the Jacksonville area

Hey guys. It looks like I'm going to be moving from upstate NY to Jacksonville in about 6 months. Does anyone have any recommendations for certain areas that are nice or anything for a single dude in his early 30s? I'm familiar with Florida, but not that part of Florida so any advice would be appreciated.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That’ll all depend on your budget and what you want to be near.

Beaches, Riverside and the town center. Just depends on where you’ll be working, what you like to do and what you want to spend.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Spending one whole weekend there, I’d vote Riverside.

(01-19-2018, 09:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Spending one whole weekend there, I’d vote Riverside.

Banana

(01-19-2018, 09:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 09:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Spending one whole weekend there, I’d vote Riverside.

Banana

It’s a cool area for a 30 something gent. 

I love being able to walk to so many establishments. And right by the river? Whoa lolly. 

Fresno has only one small area like that but it’s 15 miles from everything else in the city and with about half as much to do.

(01-19-2018, 08:38 PM)Achilles Wrote: Hey guys. It looks like I'm going to be moving from upstate NY to Jacksonville in about 6 months. Does anyone have any recommendations for certain areas that are nice or anything for a single dude in his early 30s? I'm familiar with Florida, but not that part of Florida so any advice would be appreciated.

Like others have said, it depends. If I were single in my middle 30s, I'd definitely at least consider the beaches but Avondale or San Marco would be on the list.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

For those that don’t know, Riverside and Avondale are conjoined neighborhoods. Riverside being the more trendy side and Avondale being a little more upscale.

(01-19-2018, 09:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Banana

SF, you dog.

(01-19-2018, 09:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

SF, you dog.

He checked out the area...not me. Tongue

Wink 

(01-19-2018, 10:22 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 09:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: SF, you dog.

He checked out the area...not me. Tongue

SF, I'm disappointed in ya, man.  Wink

(the icons on this new board suck)

(01-19-2018, 09:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

It’s a cool area for a 30 something gent. 

I love being able to walk to so many establishments. And right by the river? Whoa lolly. 

Fresno has only one small area like that but it’s 15 miles from everything else in the city and with about half as much to do.

Coming from upstate NY, I think he'll find the river fairly unremarkable.  Go to the beach!
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

This Riverside does sound intriguing. How far is that area from the ocean? Also idk why but I'm always partial to loft style apartments. Anything like that would help me narrow it down.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018, 08:12 AM by RicoTx.)

St. Johns County. Especially if you have kids.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-20-2018, 08:11 AM)Rico Wrote: St. Johns County.  Especially if you have kids.

Kids.....bahahahahaha

(01-20-2018, 12:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 09:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: It’s a cool area for a 30 something gent. 

Coming from upstate NY, I think he'll find the river fairly unremarkable.  Go to the beach!

I don’t think you can go wrong either way.   Riverside and the Beaches have very similar lifestyle opportunities.  Riverside tends to be more eclectic, while the beaches are more laid back.  Lots of bars, restaurants and other entertainment options are available either way.

I’d lean towards Riverside. The Brooklyn area is really growing with all sorts of new housing, restaurants and shopping.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-20-2018, 01:08 AM)Achilles Wrote: This Riverside does sound intriguing. How far is that area from the ocean? Also idk why but I'm always partial to loft style apartments. Anything like that would help me narrow it down.

15 or so miles.  Pretty quick trip depending on how you go and the time of day.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-20-2018, 11:59 AM)FBT Wrote:
(01-20-2018, 12:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Coming from upstate NY, I think he'll find the river fairly unremarkable.  Go to the beach!

I don’t think you can go wrong either way.   Riverside and the Beaches have very similar lifestyle opportunities.  Riverside tends to be more eclectic, while the beaches are more laid back.  Lots of bars, restaurants and other entertainment options are available either way.

I’d lean towards Riverside.  The Brooklyn area is really growing with all sorts of new housing, restaurants and shopping.

Riverside sounds pretty much spot on for what I'm looking for. I'll check out that Brooklyn area. Sounds like where I'll wind up. Thanks everyone.

Brooklyn is an adjoining neighborhood to Riverside. It stands between us and downtown.

As a former northerner, I prefer the beach lifestyle. Nothing like getting on a bicycle and venturing over to the local ocean side bars and listening to live music while hot chicks in bikinis come strolling in off the beach. That was actually me 20 years ago. Today, I take mid-day naps in my air conditioned home while contemplating whether it's worth the energy to go downstairs to retrieve another beer.