Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
who's gone next year?

Nortman needs to be at the top of this list. I don't know what changed from last year to this, but he's awful and has been a liability on many occasions. Joe DeCamillis is a big directional kicking guy, and Nortman is clearly not a fit for that style. I hope an upgrade there is on the list of priorities.

I would be beyond shocked if Ivory were still around next year. Henne will likely give way to a new face, either a draft pick or a veteran here to unseat Bortles. I'm also expecting shakeup on the OL, with possibly two new starters. I see Omameh, Cann and Parnell as vulnerable. I hope Poz returns, and I think he will. As a powerful thumper type, he fits the Coughlin mold at middle linebacker spectacularly well.

One of Lee or Hurns won't be back, and I think it's Lee that leaves. The team is stacked at receiver, with Cole on board as a possible #1 and A-Rob coming back. I expect Lee to venture into free agency looking for a team where he'll be starting instead of competing for the slot. And then there's Colvin, who absolutely came into his own this year as a damn fine nickel corner. I still think there's a chance we find a way to make the money work, but he has no chance whatsoever of starting here, and I think he's going to find a team in free agency who'll pay him like a starter and let him start.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2018, 10:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 12:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really wanna keep Colvin. He's made some big plays. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. I'd like to get a more athletic LB than Poz, but he does rack up a lot of tackles, so if the price is right, I'd consider bringing him back, but he wouldn't be guaranteed to start. I'm also not so sure Brown is ready to start in his place. Omameh is a maybe for me. It all depends on the price and I would not guarantee him a starting spot. Other than that, I'd let the rest of them walk.

True, but it would have to be via the draft or free agency. From what I've seen of Brown, I don't believe he's ready to start.
Lol, we find our kicker, FB, and our punt returner and you want them to walk.  What a joke

What are you talking about? Lambo, Bohanon and Mickens are all signed through next year. We don't even have to worry about them yet.

(01-24-2018, 12:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 10:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, we find our kicker, FB, and our punt returner and you want them to walk.  What a joke

What are you talking about? Lambo, Bohanon and Mickens are all signed through next year. We don't even have to worry about them yet.

Ok my bad, good deal

All I know is that Lee is a BUST...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(01-24-2018, 10:00 AM)Ronster Wrote: All I know is that Lee is a BUST...

You're an idiot. He may have some drops but he's  far from a bust.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(01-24-2018, 10:00 AM)Ronster Wrote: All I know is that Lee is a BUST...

I would be completely surprised and confused if we brought him back next season.

Hopefully BklynJag, Adam2012, CTEisReal, spacecoast,.....
Am I forgetting anyone else we should cut?

(01-24-2018, 11:04 AM)Kane Wrote: Hopefully BklynJag, Adam2012, CTEisReal, spacecoast,.....
Am I forgetting anyone else we should cut?
Ronster.

sounds like the two tone helmets are gone next year!

(01-23-2018, 10:37 AM)KingJones Wrote: Is no one going to mention Malick Jackson / Marcel Darius?

One of these guys will be gone, we can't keep both.

Marcell's cap hit in 2018 is $10,175,000 but his dead cap is $7,350,000. There's no way we would cut him and the strong run defense he brings just to free up less than $3 million. It's possible that we try to rework his contract but Dareus doesn't have a whole lot of financial incentive to do so unless we offer him a large chunk guaranteed. Either way, he will be here next season. In 2019 there's no dead cap money on his contract, so cutting or reworking at that point makes sense.

Malik's contract is a different situation. He has a larger cap hit at $15,500,000 and a dead cap of $6,000,000, so we could free up $9,500,000 for 2018. I still don't see that happening though as we are in pretty decent shape overall next year and he's been a solid producer.

(01-25-2018, 02:58 PM)Gettin\ Jaggy with it Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 10:37 AM)KingJones Wrote: Is no one going to mention Malick Jackson / Marcel Darius?

One of these guys will be gone, we can't keep both.

Marcell's cap hit in 2018 is $10,175,000 but his dead cap is $7,350,000. There's no way we would cut him and the strong run defense he brings just to free up less than $3 million. It's possible that we try to rework his contract but Dareus doesn't have a whole lot of financial incentive to do so unless we offer him a large chunk guaranteed. Either way, he will be here next season. In 2019 there's no dead cap money on his contract, so cutting or reworking at that point makes sense.

Malik's contract is a different situation. He has a larger cap hit at $15,500,000 and a dead cap of $6,000,000, so we could free up $9,500,000 for 2018. I still don't see that happening though as we are in pretty decent shape overall next year and he's been a solid producer.

I think we might try and work Dareus into an extenstion on contract. lock him up and extend some of the money out. remeber we trade for him so we had to take his contract nothing says we cant re negotiate it to give him some security and lock him up for a few years. He is worth it.

I want to see more competition along the OL, but I wouldn't label anyone on the current line as a bust - and I would want to cut them either.

(01-26-2018, 02:07 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 02:58 PM)Gettin\ Jaggy with it Wrote: Marcell's cap hit in 2018 is $10,175,000 but his dead cap is $7,350,000. There's no way we would cut him and the strong run defense he brings just to free up less than $3 million. It's possible that we try to rework his contract but Dareus doesn't have a whole lot of financial incentive to do so unless we offer him a large chunk guaranteed. Either way, he will be here next season. In 2019 there's no dead cap money on his contract, so cutting or reworking at that point makes sense.

I think we might try and work Dareus into an extenstion on contract. lock him up and extend some of the money out. remeber we trade for him so we had to take his contract nothing says we cant re negotiate it to give him some security and lock him up for a few years. He is worth it.

Yeah, it's possible, but how much guaranteed money would it take, and do we want to do that at this point? He's already fully guaranteed $7,350,000 even if we cut him, and Dareus knows that it would be extremely unlikely that we'd cut him in 2018, so he should feel pretty confident that he is going to make $10,175,000 next year. From the Jags' perspective, if we restructure his contract we'd only be adding more dead cap on top of the $7,350,000. I think he will play 2018 out on the current contract, and then the Jags can assess the situation at that point. His cap hit is $10,585,000 in 2019, not good but not terrible, but climbs to $14,600,000 in 2020. We will have to make some tough decisions after 2018, and definitely after 2019, due to other key players' contracts expiring. I don't think we need to be locking Dareus in with more dead cap hit now.

Beyond Ivory and maybe Nortman I don’t see many cuts before camp.

No brainer to bring back A-Rob

Good players that will seek greener pastures:
Lee
Colvin

Depending on price would like to bring back:
Poz
Omameh
Thompson
McCray

GTFO:
Henne

Maybe bring some depth players in for free agency. Could see a splash at receiving TE or G if a special player is available.

Excited to have so few holes heading into the draft.

(01-26-2018, 02:41 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I want to see more competition along the OL, but I wouldn't label anyone on the current line as a bust - and I would want to cut them either.

I agree, but upgrading Cann is a must IMO. Tackle depth is key as well.