Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To all that are not blaming Bortles

(01-22-2018, 01:18 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 01:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He threw 4 or 5 passes well behind his receivers including coming up short on the late pass to Westbrook.  Westbrook clearly slowed down for the football and the DB was able to bat it. It's a TD if it's thrown two feet close to the pylon. 

I'm not sure why he's getting a pass on this from so many. He played pretty good, but he left some big gains and a TD out there IMO. 

His performance was the testbook definition "you can win with this guy, but he can't lead a team to the championship."
  It's a bit cliché - but he encapsulated that phrase perfectly with that performance.
 He played pretty but came up short Had he played "really good" they win that game even though there were several other factors contributing to the loss. 

In this league he's a mid-tier asset - but you've got to keep mining for an upgrade in the draft IMO.

At one point in the game, he was 13 out of 15 with a TD. What changed? Not Blake. For some reason, they took Grant out of the game. 
Also, I've looked at the last pass to Westbrook. It was right on the money. The safety made a great play. 
Blake has no help. None.  The OL didn't help him yesterday. God knows Fournette didn't. 
I don't have a problem drafting a QB next year - I'd love to see it.

I agree the line didn't run block well enough.  I agree Fournette didn't look the part of a high pick. I agree Blake looked sharp early on and the OC was mixing it up very well but then faltered. 

I do believe that when the all22 is out you'll see Westbrook slow his stride for that late pass. I'll happily admit I'm wrong if that's not the case.  I continue to root for Blake despite taking issue with his limitations. Like you - I'll have no problem rooting for him alongside some competition in camp in the summer.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't see how anyone can blame Blake for this loss. I put the blame squarely on Hackett for the ultra conservative play calling in the 4th quarter that kept giving the Patriots the ball back. I do believe there is a lack of trust in Blake to not turn the ball over and they simply decided to put their trust in the defense to win the game. 

The series after the Jack fumble recovery was the back breaker to me. The Jags went 3 and and out and gave the ball right back to the Pats, who then drove down to score a TD to get within 3 points. The Jags only burned a minute and 34 seconds on this drive which put their defense right back on the field.

Looking at the plays a little closer, Hackett called four straight Fournette runs on 1st down in the 4th quarter for a total of 3 yards. This is not a recipe for helping your quarterback when you put him behind in the chains and making him throw the ball in a tight game. If they really wanted to control the clock, why didn't they keep running the ball to at least run more clock? This really blows my mind because their longest drive of the 4th quarter was only 2 minutes and 23 seconds. It's hard for your defense to hold up against the greatest QB ever when they were on the field for much of 4th quarter. We surely could have helped them out by at least running more clock by running the ball, but that wasn't in the plans and we lost because of it. We can blame a lot of things for this loss, but Blake sure isn't one of them.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

I think we agree on most of the BB issues, NYC.

(01-22-2018, 08:33 AM)BklynJag Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:31 AM)JackCity Wrote: No. Blake isn't the reason we lost this game.  

He was playing very well. It's not his fault the coaching staff played to lose or that the defense couldn't get a stop on 3rd and 18.

His play wasn't the reason we lost THIS game, it what the team sees him as is why we lost.
Exactly! They believe that can scheme him down the field if it's scripted short plays. They don't believe he can cover ground that quickly without making a mistake. It was evident with that decision. I'm of the belief that in this game because it's all or nothing, you gotta play to win.

Tom Coughlin (as well as many) knows that to beat Brady you have to keep him on the bench. Limit his possessions. That's why you take a knee at the half and come back out with the ball in hand with a new set of downs.

(01-22-2018, 01:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 01:01 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Outside of the delay of game penalty, not sure what more could have been asked of Blake yesterday.

By the way, why aren't we throwing some blame Fournette's way?  How many times did he rush for only one yard on first and second down?

He threw 4 or 5 passes well behind his receivers including coming up short on the late pass to Westbrook.  Westbrook clearly slowed down for the football and the DB was able to bat it. It's a TD if it's thrown two feet closer to the pylon. 

I'm not sure why he's getting a pass on this from so many. He played pretty good, but he left some big gains and a TD out there IMO. 

His performance was the testbook definition "you can win with this guy, but he can't lead a team to the championship."
  It's a bit cliché - but he encapsulated that phrase perfectly with that performance.
 He played pretty well but came up short. Had he played "really good" they win that game even though there were several other factors contributing to the loss. 

In this league he's a mid-tier asset - but you've got to keep mining for an upgrade in the draft IMO.

Its mind blowing, even there were plenty of passes that he should have connected with the receivers in stride but threw behind them. Even that last pass against Gilmore was underthrown

(01-22-2018, 01:01 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Outside of the delay of game penalty, not sure what more could have been asked of Blake yesterday.

By the way, why aren't we throwing some blame Fournette's way?  How many times did he rush for only one yard on first and second down?

He threw 4 or 5 passes well behind his receivers including coming up short on the late pass to Westbrook.  Westbrook clearly slowed down for the football and the DB was able to bat it. It's a TD if it's thrown two feet closer to the pylon. 

He played pretty well but came up short. Had he played "really good" they win that game even though there were several other factors contributing to the loss. 

My thoughts on this:

This was the biggest game of his life, and at no point did the stage look too big for him. His stat line was nearly identical to Brady. 

I think we're just beginning to see the development of Blake. Does he have flaws? Sure, he also was coached by the worst HC in the history of the game for his first 3 years. How much did that set him back? I'd bet money he takes another step this year. 

I've always said draft another guy. I like Blake and I think he can take that next step next year (and he WAS 12th in QBR this year) but if someone like Mayfield falls, yeah you still take him. Or get a guy in the mid rounds to develop.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Blake is the man. The only issue is he’s not Brady. At the10 minute mark of the game you could tell Brady didn’t care what was coming out of that head set and started calling his own game. That’s 17 years of experience that Blake just isn’t gonna have yet. This is his first year in this system. I fully expect next year Blake will have more command of the offense and more freedom to change plays and routes.

While I'm still Luke warm on him ( though I do believe he deserves at least a 2 year extension), he would've lead the team to a championship if no for third and eighteen.

Career playoff passer rating

Tom Brady 90.1
Blake Bortles 91.0

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM by jagherd.)

^ There's way too much logic, reason, and common sense in this post NYC.

You should know better than that on a Jags message board (especially after a big, emotional loss). C'mon Man!

Btw- I agree with you.

*** side note - to the poster that said the delay of game penalty was thrown way too late:: I actually don't think it was.  When that snap happened,, I'm positive I saw some action that indicated the play would be blown dead. That place was SOOO loud and intense at that point, and the players were already flying around. That play happened really fast,, it developed before everyone knew what happened.
I'm pretty sure that the flag was already thrown.

Anyway
Delay of Game penalty on a CRUCIAL down in the biggest game of the year should not be happening AFTER THE TEAM JUST HAD A TIMEOUT.

That was just inexcusable. 

- Blake played great in the beginning of the game, and didn't in the later part.
- Brady did not play great in the beginning of the game, but played flawless in the later part. 

- Brady faced one of the best defenses in the league (maybe THE best)
- Blake faced a mediocre defense (Pats defense looked pathetic in the first half,, but really turned it on in the second)

That's a big difference. Blake is young though,, he should get to that point too. This postseason was invaluable experience for him. He has seen what level of play it takes to advance deep. He played at that level for alot of the last two games,, but it takes just a little more than that. 

He got an experience that many young QBs will never get,, and he's already gonna be even better now because of it.

They trusted Blake enough in the first half to throw it a lot. And he was putting up better stats than Tom Turrific until that second half.

They got scared (which I see A LOT in the NFL). Too often teams try to squat on a lead in the 2nd half. No lead is safe. Never squat. Run up the score and let them complain about that.
Don't go from run, pa, drop back, screen, run, run, drop back, run, pa TO run run pass punt.

I don't blame him for the loss.  But the team deserves better.  If the coaches had no confidence in him, which the second half play calling showed, then it is time to move on.  I like the guy and have pulled for him since he got here, but there will be better options available.

(01-22-2018, 08:33 AM)BklynJag Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:31 AM)JackCity Wrote: No. Blake isn't the reason we lost this game.  

He was playing very well. It's not his fault the coaching staff played to lose or that the defense couldn't get a stop on 3rd and 18.

His play wasn't the reason we lost THIS game, it what the team sees him as is why we lost.

After reading 15 pages of this drivel, I have to agree with Bklyn here. BB5 played well, don't get me wrong, but the team has to work around him. Maybe he takes the next step this offseason, we all hope so.

I still don't think the Delay of Game penalty is getting its due for its significance. It change a potential 17-3 or 21-3 lead at the half into 14-10. It was huge.

Referees? I agree with Jag fans overall, I think it was uneven.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(01-22-2018, 09:36 AM)JagFox1 Wrote: LOL. We're not even playing that game if it weren't for how the kid has performed all year.  I would like to see someone do any better with the issues we've had at wr this year.

He's not a kid. You wouldn't let him date your teenage daughter/niece/granddaughter/sister would you? No because he is an adult and it is illegal. I swear some people are real dumb.

I don't understand the "they didn't have confidence in him" thought. Why in the world would they not have confidence in a guy who just executed the game plan almost to perfection for the entire half?

Kane nailed it. They got scared that they were up so high on NE and played too safe. Blake still took some deep shots the second half, and let's be honest, if they let Lewis actually run a route without being mugged, we'd have converted a lot more.

The play calling was never an indictment on Blake. It was the staff prematurely trying to protect a lead by running the clock.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-22-2018, 05:02 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I don't understand the "they didn't have confidence in him" thought. Why in the world would they not have confidence in a guy who just executed the game plan almost to perfection for the entire half?

Kane nailed it. They got scared that they were up so high on NE and played too safe. Blake still took some deep shots the second half, and let's be honest, if they let Lewis actually run a route without being mugged, we'd have converted a lot more.

The play calling was never an indictment on Blake. It was the staff prematurely trying to protect a lead by running the clock.

This!

(01-22-2018, 04:59 PM)PF* Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:33 AM)BklynJag Wrote: His play wasn't the reason we lost THIS game, it what the team sees him as is why we lost.

After reading 15 pages of this drivel, I have to agree with Bklyn here. BB5 played well, don't get me wrong, but the team has to work around him. Maybe he takes the next step this offseason, we all hope so.

I still don't think the Delay of Game penalty is getting its due for its significance. It change a potential 17-3 or 21-3 lead at the half into 14-10. It was huge.

I agree with you. That delay of game was huge at that juncture.

I still can't believe the Jags offense couldn't get the snap off in time after they just had a stoppage in play  (TO). It was critical.

(01-22-2018, 05:26 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 04:59 PM)PF* Wrote: After reading 15 pages of this drivel, I have to agree with Bklyn here. BB5 played well, don't get me wrong, but the team has to work around him. Maybe he takes the next step this offseason, we all hope so.

I agree with you. That delay of game was huge at that juncture.

I still can't believe the Jags offense couldn't get the snap off in time after they just had a stoppage in play  (TO). It was critical.

There are alot of thing the QB is doing reads checks alignment yes he should also look at the clock. But i totally blame the coaches on this one. How many times do we see coaches running down the sideline calling time out when they dont have faith their QB will beat the clock. It was the first half TO are not as important. Marone should have BB5s back on that one. Just another one thing the coaches failed on to help us lose the game.

(01-22-2018, 04:37 PM)Kane Wrote: They trusted Blake enough in the first half to throw it a lot. And he was putting up better stats than Tom Turrific until that second half.

They got scared (which I see A LOT in the NFL). Too often teams try to squat on a lead in the 2nd half. No lead is safe. Never squat. Run up the score and let them complain about that.
Don't go from run, pa, drop back, screen, run, run, drop back, run, pa TO run run pass punt.

Players and coaches coming off a 3-13 season and who have never really sniffed a playoff game before this year, are just going to make mistakes in this situation. Compounded by the officiating issue, negating plays that were working, then I think I'm willing to give the Jags a pass.