Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags, Just Get A Great QB, And Let's Win It All Next Year!

(01-27-2018, 05:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Cousins said he wanted Stafford money aka 27 million. Blake is going to get 19 million. ~8 million isn't going to dismantle anything. Unless your argument is we need to cut Bortles because he will also mean we have to dismantle the defense, and then we sign another 5 million dollar QB like McCown or ride and die with a rookie QB. That's the only way the argument isn't contradictory.

I don't believe for a second Cousins is going to top out at $27. There's going to be an enormous bidding war for him. I'll be shocked if he's not every bit of $30mil +.

That's 11mil difference minimum. Even your 8 is a big number when you're at the point where every million in cap space is crucial.

We can sign Kirk for 30 and still keep almost all of our core together. Beauty of front loading contracts. 

Also a few things A) QB market is about to blow up B) The cap goes up every year C) Kirk might be the 10th/12th highest paid QB in 2020.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018, 06:08 PM by wrong_box.)

(01-27-2018, 11:31 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 07:59 AM)wrong_box Wrote: actually the linebackers stayed quite close to the DL even in 3 wide sets...we very seldom tried to make them pay for stacking the box so they didn't have to change to stop the run or defend against the pass

If so that's because the opposing teams have no respect for the WRs, since such a defense depends on solid coverage by the CBs. Even an inaccurate QB can complete a pass to a wide open WR.

not enough...but if he could do it enough, he wouldn't be considered inaccurate...the rest of your post we all know, no respect for WR or QB...That we have known for years

Can someone tell me a great quarterback that is just available to pick up or draft?

Not that I'm suggesting anything here.. but I'm looking at the QB's in FA this year and Jimmy G is in there.. so did he only sign for one year with SF? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(01-27-2018, 06:47 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Not that I'm suggesting anything here.. but I'm looking at the QB's in FA this year and Jimmy G is in there.. so did he only sign for one year with SF? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

His rookie deal is technically up, but all indications are that the Niners have a long term deal in place with him or will Franchise him. They've said there is no way hes getting away from them

(01-27-2018, 07:06 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 06:47 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Not that I'm suggesting anything here.. but I'm looking at the QB's in FA this year and Jimmy G is in there.. so did he only sign for one year with SF? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

His rookie deal is technically up, but all indications are that the Niners have a long term deal in place with him or will Franchise him. They've said there is no way hes getting away from them

Oh absolutely.. kinda what I expected. I'd imagine he will earn big money there.

Jimmy Garoppolo last five full games in 2017: 

67.1 completion percentage on 176 attempts
1,542 passing yards for 6 TD, 5 INT and
passer rating of 94.0
14 rushes for 7 yards and 1 TD

Colin Kaepernick last five full games in 2016:

64.6 completion percentage on 164 attempts
1,093 passing yards for 9 TD, 2 INT
and passer rating of 96.9
27 rushes for 188 yards and 1 TD
No Fun

(01-27-2018, 08:02 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Jimmy Garoppolo last five full games in 2017: 

67.1 completion percentage on 176 attempts
1,542 passing yards for 6 TD, 5 INT and
passer rating of 94.0
14 rushes for 7 yards and 1 TD

Colin Kaepernick last five full games in 2016:

64.6 completion percentage on 164 attempts
1,093 passing yards for 9 TD, 2 INT
and passer rating of 96.9
27 rushes for 188 yards and 1 TD

With a whole season without a team and the backlash that comes with it.. can't deny the numbers, but it would be a brave team to take him on..

(01-27-2018, 05:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Cousins said he wanted Stafford money aka 27 million. Blake is going to get 19 million. ~8 million isn't going to dismantle anything. Unless your argument is we need to cut Bortles because he will also mean we have to dismantle the defense, and then we sign another 5 million dollar QB like McCown or ride and die with a rookie QB. That's the only way the argument isn't contradictory.

I don't believe for a second Cousins is going to top out at $27. There's going to be an enormous bidding war for him. I'll be shocked if he's not every bit of $30mil +.

That's 11mil difference minimum. Even your 8 is a big number when you're at the point where every million in cap space is crucial.

Cousins is 11+ mil better than Bortles too. 11 mil in cap space means one good player. So we might not be able to re-sign Fowler in a couple years, oh well Cousins is well worth that.

I understand gripes with Bortles but we were a handful of atrocious officiating calls away from the Super Bowl (or scared play-calling in the 2nd half) with him. I'm not saying Bortles is awesome but if the worst case scenario is that he's under center next year then I have no problem with it at all.

(01-27-2018, 11:26 PM)Jest101 Wrote: I understand gripes with Bortles but we were a handful of atrocious officiating calls away from the Super Bowl (or scared play-calling in the 2nd half) with him.  I'm not saying Bortles is awesome but if the worst case scenario is that he's under center next year then I have no problem with it at all.

Agreed. Sign AROB and a pass catching TE. CHAMPIONSHIP (literally)!!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(01-27-2018, 11:26 PM)Jest101 Wrote: I understand gripes with Bortles but we were a handful of atrocious officiating calls away from the Super Bowl (or scared play-calling in the 2nd half) with him.  I'm not saying Bortles is awesome but if the worst case scenario is that he's under center next year then I have no problem with it at all.

I really don't disagree with this thinking. ^ 

I'd just really prefer a guy that can make all the throws and make them with better and more consistent accuracy. 
I don't think it's too much to ask for the team to at least try to draft a guy who will offer that as he develops.

I'd prefer to stay with Blake but if they go in a different direction it has to be a seasoned veteran like Cousins or Smith. This team is built to win now. Calais has about 2 good years left and we're not going to be able to pay everyone. I can't see the Chiefs trading Smith to an AFC team that's as close as we are. Could you imagine the backlash in KC if he took us to the Super Bowl. I see him going somewhere like Arizona. Cousins is the most likely scenario but they're going to have to roll up the Brinks to get him.

(01-28-2018, 04:26 PM)Rooster Wrote: I'd prefer to stay with Blake but if they go in a different direction it has to be a seasoned veteran like Cousins or Smith.  This team is built to win now.  Calais has about 2 good years left and we're not going to be able to pay everyone.  I can't see the Chiefs trading Smith to an AFC team that's as close as we are.  Could you imagine the backlash in KC if he took us to the Super Bowl. I see him going somewhere like Arizona.  Cousins is the most likely scenario but they're going to have to roll up the Brinks to get him.
I think Smith ends up in Cleveland with Dorsey.

Cousins seems to be the FA QB best suited to take the Jags to the next level. The only issue here is that other teams will most likely outbid the Jags. The best hope the Jags have is that Cousins takes slightly less to come here. He apparently has scouted every teams coaches and playbooks as well at the past catchers they have. Smart guy.

Read somewhere he was looking for 30 mill a year or there abouts.

30 mil a year for a guy that had 26 turnovers last year after choking away the playoffs by going 2-3 with a 1-2 TD to INT ratio in his final 5 games in 2016? I'm good.

(01-30-2018, 08:20 AM)PVKnight Wrote: 30 mil a year for a guy that had 26 turnovers last year after choking away the playoffs by going 2-3 with a 1-2 TD to INT ratio in his final 5 games in 2016? I'm good.

But he's so much better than Bottles that we just have to destroy our salary cap to get his choking ways on this team. Or the guy from KC who can't seem to throw a TD pass to a wide out, maybe him. Either of those is clearly an upgrade over the guy who plays exactly within the scheme the coaches want, won the Buffalo game with his legs, outscored Big Ben in porksburgh, and traded punches with the GOAT and his Merry Band of Referees in Foxboro Forest.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

If a team really thinks Jimmy g is a franchise guy....it's no guarantee he winds up back with the niners even if they tag him. A QB needy team might want to make move still.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(01-30-2018, 08:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 08:20 AM)PVKnight Wrote: 30 mil a year for a guy that had 26 turnovers last year after choking away the playoffs by going 2-3 with a 1-2 TD to INT ratio in his final 5 games in 2016? I'm good.

But he's so much better than Bottles that we just have to destroy our salary cap to get his choking ways on this team. Or the guy from KC who can't seem to throw a TD pass to a wide out, maybe him. Either of those is clearly an upgrade over the guy who plays exactly within the scheme the coaches want, won the Buffalo game with his legs, outscored Big Ben in porksburgh, and traded punches with the GOAT and his Merry Band of Referees in Foxboro Forest.

This.

I'm all for drafting a guy in case Blake regresses but the other options out there aren't any better.

It's crazy that some fans expect Tom Brady at age 35 type of production from every 25 year old QB or they're labeled a bust now-a-days.

(01-30-2018, 08:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Cousins is light years better than Bortles.

Have a feeling this tune will change next year with the much more difficult schedule and much improved division.