Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This might be a good year to trade two first round picks to move up in the draft...

...and select a quarterback. That's what the Texans did last year, and I'm sure they don't regret the loss of their first round pick this year. 

Normally I'm opposed to trading away first round picks. But this year might be an exception. Even if we spend big bucks on Cousins or Smith, I think having one of the better QBs in this draft would be a good insurance policy. 

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The problem is last year the QBs slipped to trade up range, this year they will not. It would take way more than two firsts to trade up to get any of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. I would not give an extra first for Jackson or Rudolph.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 01:43 PM by knarnn.)

(01-29-2018, 01:33 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: ...and select a quarterback. That's what the Texans did last year, and I'm sure they don't regret the loss of their first round pick this year. 

Normally I'm opposed to trading away first round picks. But this year might be an exception. Even if we spend big bucks on Cousins or Smith, I think having one of the better QBs in this draft would be a good insurance policy. 

Thoughts?

Assuming one of the top prospects (IMO Rosen or Mayfield, {mixed feeling on Darnold and Allen}) fall in the early teens and a team is willing to move back I would be all for it. Looking at the draft order the only teams who don't need a QB and may be willing to trade back is San Fran at 9, Oakland at 10, Green Bay at 14, and Baltimore at 16. We would have to give up the farm to move into the top 10 so Green Bay may be our best shot. If Lamar or Rudolph were to fall within striking distance to us, (like within 10 picks, Seattle at 18, Dallas at 19, Detroit at 20) I wouldn't be opposed to moving up in front of Buffalo as long as we aren't using another 1st round pick to do so.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-29-2018, 01:38 PM)Upper Wrote: The problem is last year the QBs slipped to trade up range, this year they will not. It would take way more than two firsts to trade up to get any of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. I would not give an extra first for Jackson or Rudolph.

What's the objection to Rudolph? Jackson, I understand. His mechanics are awful.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-29-2018, 01:33 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: ...and select a quarterback. That's what the Texans did last year, and I'm sure they don't regret the loss of their first round pick this year. 

Thoughts?

I have no problem with this what so ever, as long as we aren't trading up for Allen.

(01-29-2018, 01:42 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 01:38 PM)Upper Wrote: The problem is last year the QBs slipped to trade up range, this year they will not. It would take way more than two firsts to trade up to get any of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. I would not give an extra first for Jackson or Rudolph.

What's the objection to Rudolph? Jackson, I understand. His mechanics are awful.

Some people on this board have an unfair bias against Big 12 QB's.

I don't see any of the top QBs in this draft as elite-potential guys. I would be happy to stay at the back of the 1st round, and pick up a QB to develop and not feel pressure to start in his first year.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM by Etdavis2006.)

You can proly stay at 29 and get Rudolph or Falk. Both would be upgrades

These qbs will not be flying off the board like everyone thinks.

(01-29-2018, 01:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 01:42 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: What's the objection to Rudolph? Jackson, I understand. His mechanics are awful.

Some people on this board have an unfair bias against Big 12 QB's.
Mayfield is a Big 12 QB and I love him. Conference is irrelevant to me as long as they're good.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 02:47 PM by Caldrac.)

Thoughts?

Nope. We've seen this before that one year where we thought all we were missing was a pair of stud edge rushers and we ended up having to pull street free agents to help make up for the rash of injuries we sustained along the offensive line. 

You especially don't want to surrender two first round selections for a rookie passer that gets a deal tied up along with Cousins or Smith's deal. That ultimately makes no sense at the end of the day. It would defeat the purpose of either move during this off season. 

If you move up into the top five to land a Quarterback. Who are you looking at? Because honestly none of these guys coming out of college instill enough confidence to where they should be starting right away. And that's a huge price to fork over for an "insurance" policy. 

Best bet is to sign Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and retain Blake Bortles for one more year. Gamble on a QB later on without having to surrender your future for the next two seasons. We may not be able to retain all of the talent we have now on defense. You may want to replace Paul Posluszny sooner rather than later. We might not be able to keep Aaron Colvin. We could end up losing both Robinson and Lee at receiver. Marcedes Lewis could retire soon. You may want to think about the long term DE position when/if Campbell hits that old man wall in his career. 

Just too many variables right now to fork over two first round picks for not even a sure bet at QB in a rookie passer. If it was to pick up someone like Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford. Go for it. They are a sure bet. But not on a rookie. Especially from this class where basically your top three prospects regressed in their final years of college football and didn't really play in any meaningful games.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It's NEVER a good time to trade 2 first round picks.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-29-2018, 02:12 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: You can proly stay at 29 and get Rudolph or Falk. Both would be upgrades

I honestly think you could get Rudolph on day two and Falk even much further along the draft. I think this QB class was hyped up at the beginning of 2017 but none of the top five - eight prospects really did enough to justify them going more than what they're worth. 

I feel like this class has 2011 all over it. It reeks of 2011. And what's so messed up is that there's not even a Cam Newton like QB that can do it all that's coming off a Championship caliber season. 

We might see a desperation run made at the position like we did in 2011 with so many open jobs available and with so many new head coaches taking over. But that doesn't mean we overreach for a QB too on day one or day two.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-29-2018, 02:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 02:12 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: You can proly stay at 29 and get Rudolph or Falk. Both would be upgrades

I honestly think you could get Rudolph on day two and Falk even much further along the draft. I think this QB class was hyped up at the beginning of 2017 but none of the top five - eight prospects really did enough to justify them going more than what they're worth. 

I feel like this class has 2011 all over it. It reeks of 2011. And what's so messed up is that there's not even a Cam Newton like QB that can do it all that's coming off a Championship caliber season. 

We might see a desperation run made at the position like we did in 2011 with so many open jobs available and with so many new head coaches taking over. But that doesn't mean we overreach for a QB too on day one or day two.
That 2011 class was LOADED outside of QB too. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

The 2nd round QBs (Kaep and Dalton) did fairly well for themselves too. Jags absolutely should not trade up in this draft and I highly doubt they will.

We traded up for Gabbert.

Just sayin'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 03:02 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(01-29-2018, 02:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Agreed. None of these qbs really check all the boxes. I wouldnt trade up at all. And your are correct Rudolph could be had in the second round possibly the third. Same with Falk. I would target one of them and go TE and oline in the first and second. Get Rudolph or Falk in the third and get a Kamara style back in the fourth. Trade up to get a Tyreek Hill style receivers I the fifth and go play football. 

Then the next year move to the new qb (unless they outplay Blake their rookie year) and use the extra cap spaces to add more peices. Go straight defense in the draft in 2019 and we set forever lol.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Thoughts?

Is this you Shack Harris?  Didn't we trade up to fill in the missing piece the last time we beat the Steelers in the playoffs (2007) ?  We then went on to have a decade of embarrassment while the Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl the following year.

(01-29-2018, 03:00 PM)Rico Wrote: We traded up for Gabbert.

Just sayin'.

Lol .... we jumped Houston and left them stuck with some dude named JJ Watt

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

You'd probably have to take Rudolph at #29, because I see no way he falls to our second round pick. Falk will probably be there in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round. People are souring on him and his "noodle" arm.

Some of you guys need to stop living in the past. Just because we didn't hit on other first round QB's, doesn't mean we can't hit now. That was a whole different regime that ran the front office back then. This new regime has done a much better job with their rookie draft assessments and selections.

(01-29-2018, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Some of you guys need to stop living in the past. Just because we didn't hit on other first round QB's, doesn't mean we can't hit now. That was a whole different regime that ran the front office back then. This new regime has done a much better job with their rookie draft assessments and selections.

Aren't you contradicting yourself?  They picked Bortles...right?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-29-2018, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Some of you guys need to stop living in the past. Just because we didn't hit on other first round QB's, doesn't mean we can't hit now. That was a whole different regime that ran the front office back then. This new regime has done a much better job with their rookie draft assessments and selections.
Living in the past? Just because no one is really crazy about these years crop of QBs?

This team doesn't need to use a 1st round pick on a QB because they're ready to win right now. It's pick 29 and not top 10. That 1st round pick could and should be used on a TE or guard to help protect Cousins or Bortles.

(01-29-2018, 03:31 PM)Rico Wrote:

Aren't you contradicting yourself?  They picked Bortles...right?

Coughlin wasn't here when they did that.