Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alex Smith traded to the Redskins..

(01-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bortles, the receiving corps without AR15 and a TE that can threaten in the passing game plus this defense was good enough to win two games in the playoffs and control most of the AFCCG.

For those of you wanting to dump Bortles, are you saying that Bortles can not possibly improve enough with another year in the offensive system and better weapons to reach and win the Super Bowl?

Do you suggest improved weapons in the passing game with Bortles at the helm would not be enough to get defenders out of the box sufficiently to make the offense better?

If this is what you suggest, and Brees sticks to his word to stay in New Orleans, do you pin all of your hopes on upgrading the position on Cousins?

If so, are you willing to live with the risk that Cousins does not get us to the Super Bowl and we end up losing more of our defensive talent in the future?  Is there a less expensive alternative that could upgrade the position?

Suppose you dump Bortles and don't land Cousins?

In this worst case scenario, you can bring in Teddy, Tyrod, Bradford, draft Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, Glennon is probably cut, or bring back Blaine (jkjk)! Point is, there are plenty of options (of varying degrees of upside), but missing out on Cousins and having to fight for Blake back wouldn't leave us with someone like Sean Mannion at the helms, we could make do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2018, 03:22 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bortles, the receiving corps without AR15 and a TE that can threaten in the passing game plus this defense was good enough to win two games in the playoffs and control most of the AFCCG.

For those of you wanting to dump Bortles, are you saying that Bortles can not possibly improve enough with another year in the offensive system and better weapons to reach and win the Super Bowl?

Do you suggest improved weapons in the passing game with Bortles at the helm would not be enough to get defenders out of the box sufficiently to make the offense better?

If this is what you suggest, and Brees sticks to his word to stay in New Orleans, do you pin all of your hopes on upgrading the position on Cousins?

If so, are you willing to live with the risk that Cousins does not get us to the Super Bowl and we end up losing more of our defensive talent in the future?  Is there a less expensive alternative that could upgrade the position?

In this worst case scenario, you can bring in Teddy, Tyrod, Bradford, draft Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, Glennon is probably cut, or bring back Blaine (jkjk)! Point is, there are plenty of options (of varying degrees of upside), but missing out on Cousins and having to fight for Blake back wouldn't leave us with someone like Sean Mannion at the helms, we could make do.

Let's look at these choices:

1.  Teddy Bridgewater-may or may not be healthy;  may or may not be re-signed by Minnesota;  May or may not be better than Bortles at this stage of their careers.
2.  Tyrod Taylor-lost to Bortles in the playoffs; run out of Buffalo for ineffective play.
3.  Sam Bradford-May not be let go by Minnesota;  Perpetually injured.
4.  Draft Rudolph/Jackson/Falk/ Lauletta-You are bringing in a rookie who may or may not be ready to play year 1 and who may not ever be as good, much less better than Bortles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-31-2018, 03:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 03:22 PM)JNev Wrote: In this worst case scenario, you can bring in Teddy, Tyrod, Bradford, draft Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, Glennon is probably cut, or bring back Blaine (jkjk)! Point is, there are plenty of options (of varying degrees of upside), but missing out on Cousins and having to fight for Blake back wouldn't leave us with someone like Sean Mannion at the helms, we could make do.

Let's look at these choices:

1.  Teddy Bridgewater-may or may not be healthy;  may or may not be re-signed by Minnesota;  May or may not be better than Bortles at this stage of their careers.
2.  Tyrod Taylor-lost to Bortles in the playoffs; run out of Buffalo for ineffective play.
4.  Draft Rudolph/Jackson/Falk/ Lauletta-You are bringing in a rookie who may or may not be ready to play year 1 and who may not ever be as good, much less better than Bortles.
1. Appears to be healthy (played in an NFL game this year) and while he may be worse than Blake, he may also be no worse than Blake was this year.
2. Tyrod's TEAM lost to the JAGUARS in the playoffs this year. Tyrod guided his team to the playoffs for the first time since I could walk pretty much. His team was also fairly dismantled for rebuilding and somehow he still got them into the playoffs.
3. Bradford played well before he got injured. He might get injured but I doubt we don't draft a guy if we go this route.
4. Drafting a guy is indeed a crapshoot, but it can still be very fruitful.

I'm not saying I'd prefer any of these guys to Blake (I wouldn't). I'm just saying it wouldn't be franchise crushing if we swung and missed on Cousins and lost Blake. I actually think Blake can improve on this year (unlike a lot of people), I just think Cousins is the safer bet to bring a Super Bowl to Jacksonville. You have to pay more for a safer bet.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 08:10 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-31-2018, 03:58 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 03:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Let's look at these choices:

1. Appears to be healthy (played in an NFL game this year) and while he may be worse than Blake, he may also be no worse than Blake was this year.
2. Tyrod's TEAM lost to the JAGUARS in the playoffs this year. Tyrod guided his team to the playoffs for the first time since I could walk pretty much. His team was also fairly dismantled for rebuilding and somehow he still got them into the playoffs.
3. Bradford played well before he got injured. He might get injured but I doubt we don't draft a guy if we go this route.
4. Drafting a guy is indeed a crapshoot, but it can still be very fruitful.

I'm not saying I'd prefer any of these guys to Blake (I wouldn't). I'm just saying it wouldn't be franchise crushing if we swung and missed on Cousins and lost Blake. I actually think Blake can improve on this year (unlike a lot of people), I just think Cousins is the safer bet to bring a Super Bowl to Jacksonville. You have to pay more for a safer bet.

Yours is NOT an unreasonable stance.  Please don't misconstrue what I'm getting at.

There is an argument to be made that the opposite course of action-keeping Bortles-is actually the safer bet.

Cousins may be the bet with the higher upside, but depending upon how you define risk, also arguably carries the higher risk (potential cap repercussions of signing him, esp. if Super Bowl is not achieved)

Bahahahahah Skins got fleeced and we dodged a bullet! Oh happy day!

(01-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Suppose you dump Bortles and don't land Cousins?

I believe with 100% sincerity that Josh McCown could have gotten us just as far as Blake did this year (and maybe farther). All we did was ask Blake to do drags, screens, dump offs 80% of the time. McCown did that, and more, with a worse oline and receiving corps...all for $5 million. We could also add some of the quick timing stuff like slants or speed outs that Blake has proven he cannot do because of his slow mechanics and poor ball placement.

If we aren't upgrading we shouldn't be spending 19 million. Keeping the status quo at now triple the salary is the worst option of all to me.

p.s. I accidentally deleted it when I was focusing on the quote, but the only thing that will get defenses out of stacking the box is our own coaches as I've pointed out ad nauseum. Teams aren't going to care if Arob is out there, if we're in 21, 12, or 22 personnel the box will be stacked. It's just math.

(01-31-2018, 01:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:28 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: He didnt ask for stats or how good BB5 is he asked name a game BB5 put the team on his back to win the game. now i know a couple we didnt win but that was not BB5 fault. but ok ill play your game. name me all the games BB5 lost us and how many games the Defense lost us.

BB5 lost the first Tenn game
Jets was on defense
Chargers was on special teams
Arizona was on Defense
Sanfran was on Defense
Tenns last game of year on coaches/special/teams/defense/offense
Wow. You are being way too kind to Blake. 

Jets game he throws for under 50% and 140 yards and it's the defenses fault? Jags D scored a TD in that game.
Chargers game was won because the defense forced 2 turnovers and the Chargers blew it.
Arizona game? Defense AGAIN scores a TD.
SF game is the only game the defense played poorly all year.
Tenn game 2? Blake is again under 50% with 150 yards and 2 picks. That game is on him. Defense held Titans to 15 AND scored a TD.

Defense really cost the Jags 1 game (SF) but held 8 opponents to 10 points or fewer and scored 8 TDS. Not to mention they single handily beat the Steelers in week 5.

To be fair, this Defense let Gabbert shred them up and down the field for a good majority of that game. Bortles threw that INT to Mathieu, but it was a really nice Defensive play by him.

Tenn game 2 was mainly because of the young receivers. Mickens muffed the punt inside our own 25 and gave the tacks 3 free points. Cole fumbled inside our own 30 and gave them another 3 points. Westbrook dropped an easy TD on a perfect pass from Bortles. That's at least 6 points for us, pending the extra point. 

Those 3 incidents made for at least a 12 point swing and we definitely win that game no problem. Also, wasn't one of Bortles' INTs on a desperation 3rd and 25+ late in that game? Pretty sure Lee acted like an idiot and got us a 15 yard taunting penalty and the next play was the INT.

(01-31-2018, 07:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wow. You are being way too kind to Blake. 

Jets game he throws for under 50% and 140 yards and it's the defenses fault? Jags D scored a TD in that game.
Chargers game was won because the defense forced 2 turnovers and the Chargers blew it.
Arizona game? Defense AGAIN scores a TD.
SF game is the only game the defense played poorly all year.
Tenn game 2? Blake is again under 50% with 150 yards and 2 picks. That game is on him. Defense held Titans to 15 AND scored a TD.

Defense really cost the Jags 1 game (SF) but held 8 opponents to 10 points or fewer and scored 8 TDS. Not to mention they single handily beat the Steelers in week 5.

To be fair, this Defense let Gabbert shred them up and down the field for a good majority of that game. Bortles threw that INT to Mathieu, but it was a really nice Defensive play by him.

Tenn game 2 was mainly because of the young receivers. Mickens muffed the punt inside our own 25 and gave the tacks 3 free points. Cole fumbled inside our own 30 and gave them another 3 points. Westbrook dropped an easy TD on a perfect pass from Bortles. That's at least 6 points for us, pending the extra point. 

Those 3 incidents made for at least a 12 point swing and we definitely win that game no problem. Also, wasn't one of Bortles' INTs on a desperation 3rd and 25+ late in that game? Pretty sure Lee acted like an idiot and got us a 15 yard taunting penalty and the next play was the INT.

All of that is Blake's fault.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 08:23 PM by JackCity.)

Let's not re-write history here. The titans game and the jets were 100% team losses. There wasn't a single unit in either of those games that played well.

(01-31-2018, 08:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: Let's not re-write history here. The titans game and the jets were 100% team losses.  There wasn't a single unit in either of those games that played well.

I presume you are talking about the first titans game and not the second one.

(01-31-2018, 09:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 08:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: Let's not re-write history here. The titans game and the jets were 100% team losses.  There wasn't a single unit in either of those games that played well.

I presume you are talking about the first titans game and not the second one.

Yup. All round bad, even if Blake played poorly in both.

This shouldnt be an issue because Bortles has to be signed by the 14th and legal tampering starts on the 12th.  So they will have a few days to make a decision and no real reason to rush on cutting Bortles

Broncos offered a 2nd and Talib

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/1...wns-chiefs

(01-31-2018, 10:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Broncos offered a 2nd and Talib

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/1...wns-chiefs

The chances of the chiefs trading Smith to a in-division rival was slim to none.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-31-2018, 10:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fanc...f6162df7b0

As they should be. 

Fuller is a good young nickle CB. He's only 22 years old. Chiefs got one of their outside CBs locked down with Marcus Peters and now they just locked down their nickle CB. The Chiefs hosed the Redskins.

Watch Colvin go to the Redskins lol

I don't think we should assume Fuller can only play nickel either. The Chiefs might have their pair shutdown outside corners now too.

(02-01-2018, 12:43 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think we should assume Fuller can only play nickel either. The Chiefs might have their pair shutdown outside corners now too.

Really excited for our matchup with them next year

(01-30-2018, 11:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: "Hey look! Washington put Kirk Cousins on the curb. Go get the truck!"

In all fairness, the Redskins are idiots.  They've been a hot mess under Daniel Snyder.  What they do or don't do has no bearing on wisdom or common sense.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The team will only go as far as the quality of the offensive line.