Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone Else Have Roku TVs In Your home?

I moved a couple weeks ago. I am actually in hiding until a criminal case or two run their course. (I'm the victim, btw). Anyhow, my new condo has ROKU tvs. It took a while to learn how to use everything on them, but it's quite a deal.

Does anyone have one? If so, any tips and tricks to a ROKU rookie would certainly be appreciated.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Yes, my favorite thing to do on Roku is screen mirroring to the cell phone.  It allows me to pull up live concerts (on my phone) that are already downloaded on youtube and mirror it to the 58" TV.

I originally bought Roku to access Netflix but Xfinity now has that direct feature as one of the apps on the subscription.

Right now we're paying $325/month for xfinity on 6 TVs and our youngest child heads off to college in May so I'm thinking about cutting the cable or seriously making some downsizing plans to our existing cable (knowing we can do some things with Roku and such as well)

We had a Roku tv in the living room love it. Bought two more to put in the kids rooms so they can stream the kid shows from Netflix and Amazon. If you Google hidden channels there's some cool add-ons one of them sunrise channel I think has a good amount of free movies and stuff.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

If you already have Amazon Prime, you get their Prime Video streaming channel as part of the package. If you don't have Prime, you should consider it. It's really a great value.

I dunno about a "Roku TV" but I do have a Roku device that's connected to my TV. My TV is a smart TV and has plenty of streaming capability but the interface is clunky and it doesn't offer near the content of the Roku which I view as one of their strong points.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I have a Roku device connected to my TV but not a Roku TV.

My winter tenant bought one for the FL condo and I liked it so much I bought one for home. It's great b/c there's no wires to deal with and an idiot (I know, obviously) can run it. I do get email updates from the Roku blog telling me what's new every month and some tips on getting the most out of Roku. Here's a link: https://blog.roku.com/index

I'm not much of a TV watcher but do enjoy Netlfix and several of their shows. I also just added the Roku Channel to my list and have watched several movies there. I am likely getting the least out of Roku but it is very cool.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Ive got a Roku device but not the TV. I love it. Admittedly I have to bum other people's Xfinity password to get the full use out of it.

I found out by accident that Roku's NBC Sports app had the SB on for free. Unfortunately I found out at the end of the third quarter so I missed 75% of the game, but I got to see the 4th quarter....until the internet took a dump and we missed the last 30 seconds of it. Fortunately there were replays.

I also don't have the TV, I have the Premiere+ box streaming Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I don't need no stinkin' cable or satellite.

I have a fire TV, and sometimes I wish I just got the Roku. If you get the one with the mic you can use it with all their apps. Plus, since ROKU isn't a streaming provider on its own (like amazon is) you get access to all the different platforms. I strongly considered getting one till I decided the Fire TV box was a little faster, and since I already had prime made sense.

Like I said tho, having a box that isn't a streaming service itself is quite useful. I am always slightly worried that one day Fire TV will just lose youtube when googles gets its panties in a bunch about them being competitors.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I got a 2 firetvs and think they're great. Side load kodi on there and you have a force to reckon with.

(02-08-2018, 02:52 AM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: I got a 2 firetvs and think they're great. Side load kodi on there and you have a force to reckon with.

What's kodi? I want to have a force.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(02-08-2018, 08:32 AM)PF* Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 02:52 AM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: I got a 2 firetvs and think they're great.  Side load kodi on there and you have a force to reckon with.

What's kodi? I want to have a force.

An avenue to pirate content. 

It’s going through a bit of a rough patch though.

(02-08-2018, 02:52 AM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: I got a 2 firetvs and think they're great.  Side load kodi on there and you have a force to reckon with.

I had kodi for a brief minute, but it never worked that well, and the legality seems a bit questionable. So I deleted it. Plenty of content available anyhow for my purposes on prime and youtube.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-05-2018, 09:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I found out by accident that Roku's NBC Sports app had the SB on for free. Unfortunately I found out at the end of the third quarter so I missed 75% of the game, but I got to see the 4th quarter....until the internet took a dump and we missed the last 30 seconds of it. Fortunately there were replays.

I also don't have the TV, I have the Premiere+ box streaming Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I don't need no stinkin' cable or satellite.

Have you thought about getting an antenna to pick up local channels? I've got an HD receiver. Just like the rabbit ears of the past but gets all the local channels in HD. Was only $20.

(02-03-2018, 06:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yes, my favorite thing to do on Roku is screen mirroring to the cell phone.  It allows me to pull up live concerts (on my phone) that are already downloaded on youtube and mirror it to the 58" TV.

I originally bought Roku to access Netflix but Xfinity now has that direct feature as one of the apps on the subscription.

Right now we're paying $325/month for xfinity on 6 TVs and our youngest child heads off to college in May so I'm thinking about cutting the cable or seriously making some downsizing plans to our existing cable (knowing we can do some things with Roku and such as well)

OK, I thought I paid a lot, but man!! I pay $71 a month for internet thru Xfinity (but they gave me HBO/Cinemax/Showtime). And I pay $143 for DirecTV for 3 TV's and all the associated DVR stuff. So about $215.

I have Roku's on all 3 sets and like them a lot. The other trick I do is record OTA stuff with an antenna and a Tablo DVR. I do that for 2 reasons. 1- If I ever tried to abandon DirectV and go with a streaming service, that would enable me to avoid going over the cap. By recording network stuff. (you watch thru your Roku). 2- If the wife fills up the DVR with HGTV stuff (and she does...) I can save room by deleting stuff I've recorded on the Tablo.

all of the devices are pretty cool I've had the firestick, roku,and apple tv and I love each of them. Its different but probably better in my opinion.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 03:59 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-11-2018, 12:24 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 06:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yes, my favorite thing to do on Roku is screen mirroring to the cell phone.  It allows me to pull up live concerts (on my phone) that are already downloaded on youtube and mirror it to the 58" TV.

OK, I thought I paid a lot, but man!!   I pay $71 a month for internet thru Xfinity (but they gave me HBO/Cinemax/Showtime). And I pay $143 for DirecTV for 3 TV's and all the associated DVR stuff.  So about $215.

I have Roku's on all 3 sets and like them a lot. The other trick I do is record OTA stuff with an antenna and a Tablo DVR. I do that for 2 reasons.  1- If I ever tried to abandon DirectV and go with a streaming service, that would enable me to avoid going over the cap. By recording network stuff.  (you watch thru your Roku).   2- If the wife fills up the DVR with HGTV stuff (and she does...) I can save room by deleting stuff I've recorded on the Tablo.

Tablo is great for cord cutters.  Aside from being a DVR, it just makes it super simple to deal with an antenna for OTA channels by only needing one hooked into the Tablo instead of one for each TV.

I've been a cord cutter for a few years once I started shopping around for better deals than what DirecTV was charging only to get a bait and switch from Comcast on an advertised deal that was shown to me on their web site while I was logged into my Internet account with them that I still maintain. It pissed me off to the point that I decided to look into cord cutting and after all the research I bought a Tablo just as soon as I cancelled DirecTV and I've loved it ever since. Shaved $90 per month off my TV bill and still have been getting 99% of what I used to get.

(02-10-2018, 10:23 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 09:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I found out by accident that Roku's NBC Sports app had the SB on for free. Unfortunately I found out at the end of the third quarter so I missed 75% of the game, but I got to see the 4th quarter....until the internet took a dump and we missed the last 30 seconds of it. Fortunately there were replays.

Have you thought about getting an antenna to pick up local channels? I've got an HD receiver. Just like the rabbit ears of the past but gets all the local channels in HD. Was only $20.

We actually just bought an outdoor HD antenna with a 150 mile range, installed 20 feet up a pole, which does give us some stations. We live in a small town here in NC with the nearest station 50 miles away so they're not "local" per se, but better than nothing. We're also in an area with lots of hills between us anweathertations, plus we're surrounded by a lot of trees. Oddly enough we get better reception from a station in SC than the nearest "local" one. Less hills in that direction and we're at higher elevation than it is. 

The one station I was hoping for with the Olympics going on was NBC but it's so spotty it's not worth the aggravation. The coverage from NBC has been abysmal anyway so not much of a loss. I've been catching it on BBC websites. 

One of the few things I miss about living in a metropolitan area is access to OTA television for football and the Olympics. And the news if anything major/tragic happens or if we have nasty weather events and I'd like to see it on TV instead of online.

(02-11-2018, 03:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 12:24 AM)newporttom Wrote: OK, I thought I paid a lot, but man!!   I pay $71 a month for internet thru Xfinity (but they gave me HBO/Cinemax/Showtime). And I pay $143 for DirecTV for 3 TV's and all the associated DVR stuff.  So about $215.

I have Roku's on all 3 sets and like them a lot. The other trick I do is record OTA stuff with an antenna and a Tablo DVR. I do that for 2 reasons.  1- If I ever tried to abandon DirectV and go with a streaming service, that would enable me to avoid going over the cap. By recording network stuff.  (you watch thru your Roku).   2- If the wife fills up the DVR with HGTV stuff (and she does...) I can save room by deleting stuff I've recorded on the Tablo.

Tablo is great for cord cutters.  Aside from being a DVR, it just makes it super simple to deal with an antenna for OTA channels by only needing one hooked into the Tablo instead of one for each TV.  

I've been a cord cutter for a few years once I started shopping around for better deals than what DirecTV was charging only to get a bait and switch from Comcast on an advertised deal that was shown to me on their web site while I was logged into my Internet account with them that I still maintain.  It pissed me off to the point that I decided to look into cord cutting and after all the research I bought a Tablo just as soon as I cancelled DirecTV and I've loved it ever since.  Shaved $90 per month off my TV bill and still have been getting 99% of what I used to get.

This would be awesome for us if our OTA channels were more reliable. Too many trees and hills + distance= not reliable enough to justify giving up what we already have.