Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How would you address the QB position in 2018?
Sign a FA or trade for a vet QB
Draft a QB early to compete w/ Blake
Draft a QB in mid rounds or later to compete w/ Blake
Ride with Bortles
Trade up in the draft to get the best rookie QB
[Show Results]

2018 QB Draft Prospects

For those here that would like to see the Jags draft a QB:

Which prospects do you like and where do you think they are likely to be selected in the draft? 

I have only just begun checking out cut-ups on most of these guys so my opinions are just taking shape. 

So far I like Josh Allen if he somehow falls late in the first or if the Jags were to trade up into the late teens of the first round. 

Of the mid-round guys (should the Jags go that route) I'm intrigued by Mike White the most so far.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There are probably only 2 guys I'd like to get that the Jaguars will have a reasonable chance of getting where they draft They would be Mason Rudolph if he falls to the 29th pick or Mike White in the 3rd round. Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Josh Allen will be long gone when the Jags pick in the 1st and Lamar Jackson is too risky due to his injury risks.

White will likely be gone when the Jags pick in the 3rd if he does as well at the combine as he did during Senior Bowl week. To me, he'd be my first choice since he has all the qualities one would look for in starting quarterback. I might even be tempted to take him in the 2nd round or trade that pick to move back to the top of the 3rd and take him there. All the other guys just aren't worth taking. Rather than waste a pick in the mid and late rounds on a q.b., I'd rather they take a receiver, running back, lineman or linebacker as you are much more likely to find a guy at those positions later in the draft who will make the team.

I want Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted Sam Darnold, but I wouldn't be happy either. Other than those guys, I don't see anyone else in this draft who would offer real competition as a starting QB within the next 2 years. I like White and Lauletta as long term backups, but I don't see them pushing Bortles right away and immediate QB competition is what this team desperately needs.

This class turned out to be a bit of a let down after all of the off season hype. Josh Rosen was coming off of an injury in 2016. So that may have played a role in his regression. But I just don't like the kid. His best game was against Hawaii. He was sharp, focused and on point that game. I really liked what I saw in that one. But then he followed it up with four so-so games where he racked up a ton of yards but made a lot of mistakes. He's streaky. Not consistent. And that's my biggest issue with him.

Mason Rudolph is an interesting prospect. But he reminds me of Blake Bortles A LOT. He'll have to sit and develop. I think we could take him in RD2. But again, if he's Blake Bortles 2.0, do you really want him? He's got the same size. Similar arm strength. Even their completion percentages coming out of college are basically neck and neck. And that's with Rudolph playing an additional year in College. I just don't know if he's what this team needs at the position. I see the same guy in all honesty.

So, really it comes down to these two guys at the bottom of RD1 if they're there. Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson. Those are the only two QB's I see that could be starting in the next two years at a respectable level. Baker has been crazy, crazy good the last two years. His ability to read defense, his accuracy, his ability to make plays with his feet. The fact that he's won some big games and really as a Bulldogs fan that kid earned my respect in a tough OT loss. He played great. I don't care about his size at all. His production is off the charts. It's just that one stupid little arrest that scares me sometimes. Is he capable of being a Russell Wilson type QB? Or is he going to be the next Johnny Manziel? If he's there at 29. TAKE HIM. I think he's worth the risk.

As far as Lamar Jackson? Stunning athletic ability. Strong arm. Terrible accuracy. Needs to work on his feet and ball placement. He's not Deshuan Watson coming out of college but he could develop into somebody similar to him at the next level. He has intangibles you can't teach or coach. He just has it. I think as a rookie behind Bortles he could learn Hackett's system. It's a west coast system that requires quick little throws here and there and that actually may work within his skill set and his scrambling ability. As a rookie they could give him specific packages and looks to keep the defense honest too. I think he's worth the risk and you have to take him at 29 as well if Mayfield isn't there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-06-2018, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This class turned out to be a bit of a let down after all of the off season hype. Josh Rosen was coming off of an injury in 2016. So that may have played a role in his regression. But I just don't like the kid. His best game was against Hawaii. He was sharp, focused and on point that game. I really liked what I saw in that one. But then he followed it up with four so-so games where he racked up a ton of yards but made a lot of mistakes. He's streaky. Not consistent. And that's my biggest issue with him.

Mason Rudolph is an interesting prospect. But he reminds me of Blake Bortles A LOT. He'll have to sit and develop. I think we could take him in RD2. But again, if he's Blake Bortles 2.0, do you really want him? He's got the same size. Similar arm strength. Even their completion percentages coming out of college are basically neck and neck. And that's with Rudolph playing an additional year in College. I just don't know if he's what this team needs at the position. I see the same guy in all honesty.

So, really it comes down to these two guys at the bottom of RD1 if they're there. Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson. Those are the only two QB's I see that could be starting in the next two years at a respectable level. Baker has been crazy, crazy good the last two years. His ability to read defense, his accuracy, his ability to make plays with his feet. The fact that he's won some big games and really as a Bulldogs fan that kid earned my respect in a tough OT loss. He played great. I don't care about his size at all. His production is off the charts. It's just that one stupid little arrest that scares me sometimes. Is he capable of being a Russell Wilson type QB? Or is he going to be the next Johnny Manziel? If he's there at 29. TAKE HIM. I think he's worth the risk.

As far as Lamar Jackson? Stunning athletic ability. Strong arm. Terrible accuracy. Needs to work on his feet and ball placement. He's not Deshuan Watson coming out of college but he could develop into somebody similar to him at the next level. He has intangibles you can't teach or coach. He just has it. I think as a rookie behind Bortles he could learn Hackett's system. It's a west coast system that requires quick little throws here and there and that actually may work within his skill set and his scrambling ability. As a rookie they could give him specific packages and looks to keep the defense honest too. I think he's worth the risk and you have to take him at 29 as well if Mayfield isn't there.

How so? Rudolph is miles from Bortles in terms of consistency and accuracy. I'd say he's one of the most accurate QB's in the draft. I like him because other than size, he is the complete opposite of Bortles from what I see. Mason Rudolph got better every year in college, where as Bortles started out great, fell off greatly his second year and rebounded his last season. That should've given a clue that he was inconsistent.

Josh Allen is the guy that reminds me most of Bortles. He'll make 2 or 3 great throws and you think he's a star, then he goes on streaks where he looks like he couldn't hit the side of a barn. He's erratic as all get out. i wouldn't touch him. All I want is consistency and drafting Allen in my mind, would be a lateral move.

Order of preference:
1. Kirk Cousins
2. Bortles
3. 2nd+ rd. QB
4. 1st rd. QB
5. Scrub other FA QB like Bradford

(02-06-2018, 03:03 PM)JNev Wrote: Order of preference:
1. Kirk Cousins
2. Bortles
3. 2nd+ rd. QB
4. 1st rd. QB

Bortles by himself, with no real competition is not even an option for me. That's just like giving up. I feel the same way about option 5. Signing a scrub and an unreliable QB like Bradford, who has proven to be injury prone and can't be counted on to stay healthy for more than a few games, is not a real option either.

(02-06-2018, 03:18 PM)The TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 03:03 PM)JNev Wrote: Order of preference:
1. Kirk Cousins
2. Bortles
3. 2nd+ rd. QB
4. 1st rd. QB

Bortles by himself, with no real competition is not even an option for me. That's just like giving up. I feel the same way about option 5. Signing a scrub and an unreliable QB like Bradford, who has proven to be injury prone and can't be counted on to stay healthy for more than a few games, is not a real option either.

I realize that was kind of a weird way of phrasing it. I meant Bortles and a regular backup like Glennon

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM by Caldrac.)

(02-06-2018, 01:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This class turned out to be a bit of a let down after all of the off season hype. Josh Rosen was coming off of an injury in 2016. So that may have played a role in his regression. But I just don't like the kid. His best game was against Hawaii. He was sharp, focused and on point that game. I really liked what I saw in that one. But then he followed it up with four so-so games where he racked up a ton of yards but made a lot of mistakes. He's streaky. Not consistent. And that's my biggest issue with him.

How so? Rudolph is miles from Bortles in terms of consistency and accuracy. I'd say he's one of the most accurate QB's in the draft. I like him because other than size, he is the complete opposite of Bortles from what I see. Mason Rudolph got better every year in college, where as Bortles started out great, fell off greatly his second year and rebounded his last season. That should've given a clue that he was inconsistent.

Josh Allen is the guy that reminds me most of Bortles. He'll make 2 or 3 great throws and you think he's a star, then he goes on streaks where he looks like he couldn't hit the side of a barn. He's erratic as all get out. i wouldn't touch him. All I want is consistency and drafting Allen in my mind, would be a lateral move.

No, he's not. Their accuracy is neck and neck and he had a full year of additional experience coming out of college. Blake had 37 career games to his name coming out of UCF. Mason's got 42. Not a whole lot more experience but the career accuracy is virtually the same. The only difference is that Blake did a lot more with his feet and mobility where Mason is more involved in an air it out system. 

And saying Mason is one of the more accurate passers in this draft isn't saying much. Mayfield is easily the most accurate. But Jackson's is horrible. Rosen and Darnold are in the low 60s. Allen's isn't that much better than Jackson's. None of these QB's in this class really scream instant star or elite passer at the next level. 

At least Watson and Wilson had crazy good accuracy coming out of college in that high 60 - low 70 percent range. Highly effective, accurate, huge TD-INT ratio, played in big games, etc. That's why for me it's Mayfield and everybody else in this class. If he didn't have that arrest he's probably a top ten selection. 

If you want consistency? It's Mayfield. If you want a freak athlete with huge upside? It's Jackson. If you want a project that may or may not pan out by 2020? Take your pick between Rudolph, Allen, Browning, Rosen and Darnold. 

My dark horse selection is Luke Falk. Great from the pocket, decent size, highly accurate and he protects the football. Could be a decent starter in time that you can find in RD3 later on or maybe even RD4.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Just a small fyi, but completion % =/= accuracy.

(02-07-2018, 10:12 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 01:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How so? Rudolph is miles from Bortles in terms of consistency and accuracy. I'd say he's one of the most accurate QB's in the draft. I like him because other than size, he is the complete opposite of Bortles from what I see. Mason Rudolph got better every year in college, where as Bortles started out great, fell off greatly his second year and rebounded his last season. That should've given a clue that he was inconsistent.

No, he's not. Their accuracy is neck and neck and he had a full year of additional experience coming out of college. Blake had 37 career games to his name coming out of UCF. Mason's got 42. Not a whole lot more experience but the career accuracy is virtually the same. The only difference is that Blake did a lot more with his feet and mobility where Mason is more involved in an air it out system. 

And saying Mason is one of the more accurate passers in this draft isn't saying much. Mayfield is easily the most accurate. But Jackson's is horrible. Rosen and Darnold are in the low 60s. Allen's isn't that much better than Jackson's. None of these QB's in this class really scream instant star or elite passer at the next level. 

At least Watson and Wilson had crazy good accuracy coming out of college in that high 60 - low 70 percent range. Highly effective, accurate, huge TD-INT ratio, played in big games, etc. That's why for me it's Mayfield and everybody else in this class. If he didn't have that arrest he's probably a top ten selection. 

If you want consistency? It's Mayfield. If you want a freak athlete with huge upside? It's Jackson. If you want a project that may or may not pan out by 2020? Take your pick between Rudolph, Allen, Browning, Rosen and Darnold. 

My dark horse selection is Luke Falk. Great from the pocket, decent size, highly accurate and he protects the football. Could be a decent starter in time that you can find in RD3 later on or maybe even RD4.

Again, look at the stats. Bortles showed how erratic he was when his completion percentage went from 68% to 62% to 67%. That's a pretty big difference and shows inconsistency. Rudolph's completion percentage steadily improved every season, like a college QB prospect is supposed to show. 

Rosen is widely regarded as the most accurate QB in the draft. His offensive line nearly got him killed several times and he always had defenders in his face, yet he was still able to make accurate throws. You have to take this into account. 

Watson made a living in college on dink and dunk throws. He had a high percentage because he rarely took risks on deep throws and as for Wilson, you need look no further than his N.C. State stats where he didn't even reach 60% completions. It was only when he transferred to a school with a predominantly run based offense which utilized mainly short and mid range passes, that his completion percentage skyrocketed. You can't just look at completion percentage only. You have to look at the schemes these QB's come from. Certain offenses like the West Coast system and run based offenses utilize a high number of easy, short passes which inflate a QB's numbers. 

Luke Falk is not even on my radar. He has a weak arm and in 4 Washington State games I watched, he never even attempted a pass over 23 yards. That tells me something. He's gonna need to go to a West Coast system to find any measure of success.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Depends on who's available and when.

If you get a chance to bring in a franchise QB--you do it, no matter who you have on the roster. At least if you can afford it without mortgaging away the future.

Get McCarron.

I'd look to get Brees, Cousins or Foles, but if we can't then we ride Blake a few more years. Regardless of what we do there, however, I'm drafting a QB at some point with the intent of him developing for a couple years and then hopefully taking over.
'02