Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
US Born Citizen kills 4 with AR-15

(02-14-2018, 09:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Common sense.

So, no evidence?
Explain why there are more mass shootings in America than anywhere else?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-14-2018, 09:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 09:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: So, no evidence?
Explain why there are more mass shootings in America than anywhere else?

Explain how we have an easier access to guns and how that causes more deaths and I'll give my opinion.

(02-14-2018, 09:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 09:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Explain why there are more mass shootings in America than anywhere else?

Explain how we have an easier access to guns and how that causes more deaths and I'll give my opinion.

I find this subject fascinating, again because I don't live in a country that has the same laws at the US do regarding firearms.. I found this:

What are gun laws in the US?

The Second Amendment of the US Constitution states: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
The US, which has less than five per cent of the world's population, has between 35 to 50 per cent of the world's civilian-owned guns.
America also has the highest homicide-by-firearm rate among the world’s most developed nations.
Federal law sets the minimum standards for firearm regulation in the United States, but individual states have their own laws.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4593169/uk...on-public/

Surely that would suggest guns are easier to get hold of when compared to a lot of other nations?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(02-14-2018, 10:10 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 09:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Explain how we have an easier access to guns and how that causes more deaths and I'll give my opinion.

I find this subject fascinating, again because I don't live in a country that has the same laws at the US do regarding firearms.. I found this:

The Second Amendment of the US Constitution states: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
The US, which has less than five per cent of the world's population, has between 35 to 50 per cent of the world's civilian-owned guns.
America also has the highest homicide-by-firearm rate among the world’s most developed nations.
Federal law sets the minimum standards for firearm regulation in the United States, but individual states have their own laws.

Surely that would suggest guns are easier to get hold of when compared to a lot of other nations?

Not sure I can disagree that they're easier to get than other countries because I'm unfamiliar with the standards of other countries. 

What I do disagree with is that the easier access to guns leads to more violence as was suggested. Naturally, we're going to have the highest homicide-by-gun rate when we own the most guns. The article didn't talk about what the highest homicide-by-gun rate was, however, so I can't really decipher the statistics. Most of the time, they use gun deaths; I couldn't find homicide-by-gun rate.

When you eliminate suicides and gang-related deaths, then our gun deaths are in-line with many European countries. Ultimately, when you don't plan on killing yourself or engage in gang activity, then the odds of getting shot are about as high as any other country. Then I'd argue that gang-related deaths are more of a court system issue than the guns themselves. These problems could be solved by a better rehabilitation system or housing the criminals for longer periods of times. Too often we release hardened criminals after only a short period of time.

And when you eliminate those pesky Jews, gypsies, Africans and homosexuals, the murder rates in Nazi Germany would have been the envy of any modern society.

(02-14-2018, 10:29 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 10:10 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: I find this subject fascinating, again because I don't live in a country that has the same laws at the US do regarding firearms.. I found this:

Not sure I can disagree that they're easier to get than other countries because I'm unfamiliar with the standards of other countries. 

What I do disagree with is that the easier access to guns leads to more violence as was suggested. Naturally, we're going to have the highest homicide-by-gun rate when we own the most guns. The article didn't talk about what the highest homicide-by-gun rate was, however, so I can't really decipher the statistics. Most of the time, they use gun deaths; I couldn't find homicide-by-gun rate.

When you eliminate suicides and gang-related deaths, then our gun deaths are in-line with many European countries. Ultimately, when you don't plan on killing yourself or engage in gang activity, then the odds of getting shot are about as high as any other country. Then I'd argue that gang-related deaths are more of a court system issue than the guns themselves. These problems could be solved by a better rehabilitation system or housing the criminals for longer periods of times. Too often we release hardened criminals after only a short period of time.

I'm neither here nor there on the subject.. as I've said before I'm not overly knowledgeable on the subject..

One would assume that more guns + more people (large country) = more deaths by firearms.. naturally you'll always have a larger number of deaths than some countries due to the size of the US.. not necessarily a higher percentage/ratio, though. I haven't done the research into that.. mainly because I'm more interested in peoples opinions than statistics..
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(02-14-2018, 10:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: And when you eliminate those pesky Jews, gypsies, Africans and homosexuals, the murder rates in Nazi Germany would have been the envy of any modern society.

Damn shame all those groups let the Nazis take their guns.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 12:08 AM by Scarecrow.)

Gang related homicides do add to the number of gun deaths and shootings in the US. There were 762 deaths and over 3500 shootings in 2016 (or 17 I can't remember now) in Chicago alone.

Inner city crime inflates those numbers.

Maybe there's also the big issue of poor social mobility in the US. A similar reason why guns in the uk are a bad idea.

(02-14-2018, 10:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 10:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: And when you eliminate those pesky Jews, gypsies, Africans and homosexuals, the murder rates in Nazi Germany would have been the envy of any modern society.

Damn shame all those groups let the Nazis take their guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gun_control_theory

tl;dr, gun control had absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust. If anything, the Nazis slightly weakened German gun control legislation.

(02-15-2018, 12:25 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 10:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Damn shame all those groups let the Nazis take their guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gun_control_theory

tl;dr,  gun control had absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust. If anything, the Nazis slightly weakened German gun control legislation.

Your right, should've said "German government take their guns which enabled the Nazis to enact the Holocaust."

Which is better for my point because the third most evil government in history didn't actually take the guns, they just took advantage of the situation. It was a far less nefarious government that is also culpable.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2018, 12:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 12:25 AM)TJBender Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gun_control_theory

tl;dr,  gun control had absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust. If anything, the Nazis slightly weakened German gun control legislation.

Your right, should've said "German government take their guns which enabled the Nazis to enact the Holocaust."

Which is better for my point because the third most evil government in history didn't actually take the guns, they just took advantage of the situation. It was a far less nefarious government that is also culpable.

The Nazis were voted into power. They had virtually no opposition. An armed German populace would have done nothing to stop Hitler. You've heard of the "Hitler Youth," have you not? His hand-selected, groomed, brainwashed little Aryan kids who believed so strongly in the Nazis' cause that they routinely turned their own families in?

Civilian access to guns had nothing to do with Hitler's rise to power or his remaining there as long as he did. Not one damn dirty thing. It's just another myth for those who genuinely believe that Jefferson wanted you to have an AR-15 and 10,000 rounds of ammunition to cling to.

(02-15-2018, 01:21 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 12:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Your right, should've said "German government take their guns which enabled the Nazis to enact the Holocaust."

The Nazis were voted into power. They had virtually no opposition. An armed German populace would have done nothing to stop Hitler. You've heard of the "Hitler Youth," have you not? His hand-selected, groomed, brainwashed little Aryan kids who believed so strongly in the Nazis' cause that they routinely turned their own families in?

Civilian access to guns had nothing to do with Hitler's rise to power or his remaining there as long as he did. Not one damn dirty thing. It's just another myth for those who genuinely believe that Jefferson wanted you to have an AR-15 and 10,000 rounds of ammunition to cling to.

I love you Bender, but you've learned nothing from history. Never Again is more than just a slogan, it's a daily way of life.

And if you read your own damn links, you'd know that German gun laws were loosened for government favored citizens and tightened against disfavored ones. Now, which of those groups ended up in the ovens again? You really trust any government to not do such a thing again? You think we're somehow better, wiser, more evolved? No, you don't, you're smarter than to trust them to that extent. People are evil, you know it, I know it, and Never Again.

These need to be banned, other than sporting clubs to rent them out for shooting practice on their designated property sites for the enthusiasts.

[Image: melcroft31n-2-web.jpg]

(02-15-2018, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: These need to be banned, other than sporting clubs to rent them out for shooting practice on their designated property sites for the enthusiasts.

I disagree, unless you're specifically referring to mentally imbalanced or potentially criminal people who shoot up car washes at 3:00am.

(02-15-2018, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: These need to be banned, other than sporting clubs to rent them out for shooting practice on their designated property sites for the enthusiasts.

What feature on that gun should be unavailable to the public?

Not an AR-15 and oddly enough looks to be at a military training range.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I'd like to know which of these anti-gun nuts is going to volunteer to take away the millions of guns from legal gun owners...

You want cops to do it, right? Well, lots of them would die in the attempt. Is that what you want?

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 03:39 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-15-2018, 03:19 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'd like to know which of these anti-gun nuts is going to volunteer to take away the millions of guns from legal gun owners...

You want cops to do it, right? Well, lots of them would die in the attempt. Is that what you want?
Come on now.

No one is going to come in your house and take your precious weapons.

(02-15-2018, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 03:19 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'd like to know which of these anti-gun nuts is going to volunteer to take away the millions of guns from legal gun owners...

Come on now.

No one is going to come in your house and take your precious weapons.

You can't really fault people for thinking this would happen when the solutions (from many people) to this problem is to ban the guns they used.